shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on this Asscher stone please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh blueroses,
Keep them coming!!! I really want one. I can dream right???

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/9/2005 6:18:14 PM
Author: Mara

''YES- I''m happy when a stone I happen to love ( and buy) has VG/VG, or EX/EX- it''s a good selling point. But on the other hand, ratings of GOOD/GOOD have never stopped my from buying a diamond I loved.''

Dave..the problem is that for many of us that buy our diamonds online, we don''t see GD/GD diamonds that we love. When you are virtually looking at a stone, I don''t know many that would actively select a GD stone if there are other VG or EX stones to consider. I would err on the side of VG or EX every time along with other numbers and images to make the final selection.

Also re: someone showing me a GD stone vs an EX to show an unfair comparison...I know enough to spot a nice looking stone in person, when I see one, regardless of the numbers or who is showing it to me. However, online, as this virtual stone is being considered by us Pscopers, it''s hard to approve a GD purchase when there may be a VG out there that should be considered.

IMO there are too many great diamonds out there that DO have the pedigree or the specs that are similarly priced as some mediocre stones and where people do not have the advantage of seeing the stones in person, I woudl not advocate a purchase of a GD stone.

That said, if I had a vendor I trusted, which I do, and I could use him to eyeball the stone and/or tell me if he thinks it is a stellar deal on a great and strictly graded stone knowing how picky I am, fabulous! But not many people have that on the first purchase.

I like underdogs but not for virtual purchase without a trusted set of eyes.
2.gif

the photo looks great to me.
Congratulations!

Mara, the other side to this coin is that I''ve rejected many stones regardless of the fact that they were VG/VG, or EX/EX. Simply having excellent polish and symmetry does not guarantee a good cut.
Let''s be very clear- An EX/EX stone is not neccesarily a better cut than a Good/ Good.
IN other words- Do not confuse polish/ Symmetry grades for a cut grade- they are NOT.

of course people want a way to somehow quantify the cut of a diamond.
IN reality, it will always take a set of eyes that''s seen many stones to distinguish the best cut stones-as you''ve said- a trusted vendor that reccomends a stone is the most important thing- just like this 1.45- which looks really sweet, regardless of the Good/Good ratings.
It would be very difficult to find a replacement 1.45 with the same color and clarity to say, ok, let''s choose between the two.
But if that were the case, it would still be very smart to look at both stones on their own merits- and the EX/EX might not neccesarily be the best chioce.

LOVE LOVE LOVE THE settings!!!

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
Can you tell me what the idealscope photo "says?"

About settings...
1st is the diamond too big for a halo?
2nd what do you think about a halo, with two bands like the photo posted by blueroses, but with filagree on the bands instead of diamonds?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2005 7:56:53 PM
Author: dazedland

what do you think about a halo, with two bands like the photo posted by blueroses, but with filagree on the bands instead of diamonds?
Halo would be just fine, but I would rather have a single band. The ring in the picture with two bands holds a 10mm stone (it is a sample picture from DirtCheapDiamonds)... a smaller one would make the two bands come very close - much like a single wide shank with a crack through the middle. Somehow, the idea does not sound too appealing.

Halo with simple band sounds nice as well.

BorderedAsscher-s.jpg
GalleryView-s.jpg
from Karen Bleifer A very similar ring came up on this thread.

The band of the ring shows very little from the top - it could be engraved (filigree ? how ?) I would think. I can''t remember of an example right now.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
dazedland, Ana makes a really good point about the split shank. In my PM I neglected to take into account that the DCD ring is holding a 10mm stone, and that would make a difference. Hmmmmm.

(But needless to say, I still love the filagree on the band idea)

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
This isn''t an asscher center stone, but thought I''d post another split-shank ring w/ the bands closer together (though it''s probably still a big stone)

HOFhaloring.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2005 8:26:26 PM
Author: blueroses

I neglected to take into account that the DCD ring is holding a 10mm stone, and that would make a difference.
It doesn''t look bad at all, really ! just different...

twoRingsSq.JPG

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
oooh, that IS pretty!! Where did you find that on DCD, Ana? I like it! A different look in terms of the placement of the bands/double shank, but very nice.

Ok guys, you asked for it. OCD Asscher(with one EC)/halo collage #2:

asschcollage1.JPG

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
Can anyone tell me what the idealscope for my diamond means in terms of symmetry, fire, and brilliance?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2005 9:18:35 PM
Author: blueroses

Where did you find that on DCD, Ana?
Oups.... sorry for that one... It is made up, and a bit crooked at that. Given the original picture shows a 9mm stone, I was curious to see what 6mm would look like with the same shank. Unfortunately I mixed up files and attached one with the patched up shank crooked ! Now I see it...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/10/2005 9:37:01 AM
Author: dazedland
Can anyone tell me what the idealscope for my diamond means in terms of symmetry, fire, and brilliance?
I can''t tell you more than there already is said on ideal-scope com... and that''s really very basic stuff.

It would be easy to add up personal impressions to that, but that would just be my personal impression - by no means any better than yours.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results