shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on this Asscher stone please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
David I understand what you are saying re: one facet being off resulting in a Good grading rather than EX...that seems so extreme. How many Good Symmetry asschers have you seen which had stellar patterns? Do you have any in stock you can post pictures of?

I still think that Symmetry will have an awful lot to do with a pattern in an asscher looking good...how can the perfect step pattern be PERFECT if the stone is not symmetrical inside??

Also re: rounds, from what I can recall, every GD symm round I have ever seen looked like crap inside.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh and where is this idealscope image?! im curious!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''d like to see an actual photo
20.gif

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
I am at work, but I will post the picture as soon as I can it''s on my computer. It''s so great to have this forum and get so much feedback! There will be pictures soon...

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/9/2005 1:43:32 PM
Author: Mara
David I understand what you are saying re: one facet being off resulting in a Good grading rather than EX...that seems so extreme. How many Good Symmetry asschers have you seen which had stellar patterns? Do you have any in stock you can post pictures of?

I still think that Symmetry will have an awful lot to do with a pattern in an asscher looking good...how can the perfect step pattern be PERFECT if the stone is not symmetrical inside??

Also re: rounds, from what I can recall, every GD symm round I have ever seen looked like crap inside.

Mara- It may seem extreme, but that''s how GIA''s symmetry grade works.
I have seen so many beautiful round diamonds with "good" symmetry- I mean thousands and thousands of diamonds over the past 30 years.
Now, I''ve never loved H&A patterns in diamonds- so maybe I do not look for a pattern which others might.
I just don''t see how someone could feel that a diamond is crappy simply because it does not have this pattern. Of course no one ever accused me of being totally open minded...heheh

Here''s a photo of a non branded asscher that I really love- and yes- it has GOOD symmetry
94d.JPG

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2005 3:35:08 PM
Author: diamondsbylauren

Date: 6/9/2005 1:43:32 PM

Author: Mara

Mara- It may seem extreme, but that''s how GIA''s symmetry grade works.

I have seen so many beautiful round diamonds with ''good'' symmetry- I mean thousands and thousands of diamonds over the past 30 years.

Now, I''ve never loved H&A patterns in diamonds- so maybe I do not look for a pattern which others might.

I just don''t see how someone could feel that a diamond is crappy simply because it does not have this pattern. Of course no one ever accused me of being totally open minded...heheh

Here''s a photo of a non branded asscher that I really love- and yes- it has GOOD symmetry

94d.JPG

Im starting to think this is getting blown out of proportion.
The numbers are an indicator only when it comes to asschers.
Lets back off and let the buyer decide if they love it or not when they see it.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Strm, nothing is getting blown out of proportion, I am learning some valuable stuff from David which I think we can all benefit from.
2.gif

David, when I meant ''crap'' I did not mean that the rounds did not exhibit H&A patterns but rather the stone''s cut was only mediocre (low sparkle, low light from the stone), seemingly matching the ''GD'' symmetry label so in my mind GD is just that, mediocre.

That asscher you posted does not look in the least mediocre...so this is all quite interesting.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
David,
I love that asscher, it''s amazing.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
um, yes please. That thing is YUMMY!

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
That''s a beautiful Asscher! I hope mine will be even half as nice! What are the specs on it?

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
The polish/symmetry thing sounds to me like a personal preference, just like color. Some people can see, or imagine they can see, a difference between GD/GD and EX/EX, and it''s important to them to have top grades for them to feel good about their diamond.

Other people want as colorless a diamond as possible, and nothing but a D will do for them, even though the majority of folk insist that you can''t see a difference between D and G with the eye.

There''s nothing wrong with personal preference, and if we all wanted the same diamonds there wouldn''t be enough to go round.

Cinnabar
(the very happy owner of a D GD/GD diamond, bought after consideration of all factors)

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone!!
One of the reasons I might love this Asscher so much ( actually 2 reasons):
look at the table and depth below- I''m a 60/60 lover!

Of course as we''re all saying, the numbers don''t give the final answers- but they do have some impact on me too.
YES- I''m happy when a stone I happen to love ( and buy) has VG/VG, or EX/EX- it''s a good selling point. But on the other hand, ratings of GOOD/GOOD have never stopped my from buying a diamond I loved

Here may be a small rub that Mara may have experienced. Say a seller wanted to push one type of stone over another.
Then it would be possible to use an unnatractive stone with "good" symmetry as the "example"- then use a drop dead gorgeous EX/EX stone to prove the point.
I''m not saying this happens all over, but the possibilty certainly exists- and it seems to have had an effect on Mara''s perception of diamonds.

Let me ask you this- if someone buys a VVS1 diamond from us, then calls to say- "OMG- the fact that it''s VVS1 makes is so unbelievably shiny"
Now, I know very well that it''s the cut, color and numberous other factors causing the sparkle. The person simply thinks is due to a clarity grade- do you burst thier bubble????

94cert.JPG

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2005 4:20:27 PM
Thank you everyone!!
One of the reasons I might love this Asscher so much ( actually 2 reasons):
look at the table and depth below- I''m a 60/60 lover!

Of course as we''re all saying, the numbers don''t give the final answers- but they do have some impact on me too.
YES- I''m happy when a stone I happen to love ( and buy) has VG/VG, or EX/EX- it''s a good selling point. But on the other hand, ratings of GOOD/GOOD have never stopped my from buying a diamond I loved

Here may be a small rub that Mara may have experienced. Say a seller wanted to push one type of stone over another.
Then it would be possible to use an unnatractive stone with ''good'' symmetry as the ''example''- then use a drop dead gorgeous EX/EX stone to prove the point.
I''m not saying this happens all over, but the possibilty certainly exists- and it seems to have had an effect on Mara''s perception of diamonds.

Let me ask you this- if someone buys a VVS1 diamond from us, then calls to say- ''OMG- the fact that it''s VVS1 makes is so unbelievably shiny''
Now, I know very well that it''s the cut, color and numberous other factors causing the sparkle. The person simply thinks is due to a clarity grade- do you burst thier bubble????
if they got a sparkly, well cut diamond, why wouldn''t you just congratulate them
2.gif
and explain to them the real reason? no bubble bursting necessary!

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Belle- in the example I''m using, the buyer is convinced that the sparkle is caused by the clarity. It''s not.
Do I tell them this?????
Or allow the mis-impression to remain???

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i understand what you''re asking david. if they have already purchased the diamond and are thrilled with the sparkle, i think you should tell them (in as many words as you wish) that the sparkle comes from the cut. yes, you cand find better cuts and no, i don''t believe you can choose any fancy based on numbers alone. the eyes have it, but you don''t have to say "hey sucker, you didn''t need to pay for a ''d'' vvs2 to get that look" (that would be bursting their bubble)
6.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2005 4:59:10 PM
Belle- in the example I'm using, the buyer is convinced that the sparkle is caused by the clarity. It's not.
Do I tell them this?????
Or allow the mis-impression to remain???

I am sure you know perfectly well how to make customers happy, David
9.gif

Could it hurt ?
20.gif

Lets see...

version #1. "clarity is very important, but it takes a few more tricks to make diamonds brilliant... etc."

#2. "no way ! forget it ! clarity is crap ! cut is king !".... errr.. maybe not

#3. (turning diamond culet up) "ya know... it still is VVS this way, but not brilliant, so... clarity has nothing to do with brilliance" yawn...

Who cares ???
11.gif

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
I told that stupid person to send the diamond back.
If they don''t know why it sparkles, they can''t have it!

heheheheh

NO, I probably said something very close to Ana''s #1 suggestion.
Of course incredible clarity adds to a stone''s beauty!
Why burst someone''s bubble.
I love owning VVS and Flawless stones too- which, as Belle points out, is probably not the best use of diamond dollars- yet, there is something nice about knowing your diamond is a VVS

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
Ok here is the idealscope

idealscopedzdlnd.jpg

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
and here is the diamond

myasscherdzdlnd.jpg

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Well I'll tell you what: I'm basically a novice, BUT I'm an asscher lover, and I think it looks seriously yummy. On the fat side, but I LIKE that! Nice pattern, imo, and I'm excited for you!

(And p.s. the faint flor is a plus for me....there seems to be a hint of blue in the photo, which could be totally incidental...COOL!!)

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
VERY nice Asscher!! Congratulations!! Can''t wait to see what it looks like once it is set!!!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Ok, now I''m going to obsess so I can live vicariously through you.

Just went back over your settings options. Mommy2nk''s (which is a lot like Lovey''s, and the Daniel K boxter/empress) is my all-time favorite. Would be just stunning w/ your stone.

I also love your 1st option (the Leon Mege one). What is your gf''s ring size? If she has little fingers, then that one might be great b/c it''s lovely and blingy, but not overwhelming.

(I have a stubby/short size 6 ring finger, so I''d go with the halo myself, but they''re both fab.

Option 3 is my least favorite, but that''s just me....I love those double claw prongs, but am not as wild about the overall look. B/c it''s an EC it''s a bit harder to imagine it w/ an asscher. Even though it''s my 3rd choice, though, it''s still VERY nice--good options!!!

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
Which one is Mommy2nk''s? Is it one of the ones I picked or do you have a picture if it isn''t. Her finger is a 5.5-6 depending on the ring so I am getting a 6, and she has long fingers. I''m glad you like it!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
"YES- I'm happy when a stone I happen to love ( and buy) has VG/VG, or EX/EX- it's a good selling point. But on the other hand, ratings of GOOD/GOOD have never stopped my from buying a diamond I loved."

Dave..the problem is that for many of us that buy our diamonds online, we don't see GD/GD diamonds that we love. When you are virtually looking at a stone, I don't know many that would actively select a GD stone if there are other VG or EX stones to consider. I would err on the side of VG or EX every time along with other numbers and images to make the final selection.

Also re: someone showing me a GD stone vs an EX to show an unfair comparison...I know enough to spot a nice looking stone in person, when I see one, regardless of the numbers or who is showing it to me. However, online, as this virtual stone is being considered by us Pscopers, it's hard to approve a GD purchase when there may be a VG out there that should be considered.

IMO there are too many great diamonds out there that DO have the pedigree or the specs that are similarly priced as some mediocre stones and where people do not have the advantage of seeing the stones in person, I woudl not advocate a purchase of a GD stone.

That said, if I had a vendor I trusted, which I do, and I could use him to eyeball the stone and/or tell me if he thinks it is a stellar deal on a great and strictly graded stone knowing how picky I am, fabulous! But not many people have that on the first purchase.

I like underdogs but not for virtual purchase without a trusted set of eyes.
2.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
dazedland, mommy2nk was the pave-halo one you posted. I have a bit of a stockpile of photos of pave-halo-asscher rings, so let me know if you''d like me to post or e-mail any to you....it''s my VERY FAVORITE look!!!

(Oh, and I think a pave halo w/ a plain band could work too...)

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
I know that she really likes the halo look, I''d love to see some pictures! I think it would be better without the diamonds on the band also because the diamond is kind of big. I also wish I had some different views of the other two options I posted if anyone has any.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Oh boy, you asked for it
2.gif

Here is a collage of various (similar!) halo settings. They're shrunk down to all fit together, obviously, so PM me if you'd like me to e-mail you the fullsize shots.

asschcollage.JPG

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Here''s Brwnidgurl511''s ring. It''s a round, but it''s an example of a halo with a plain band. Pretty, huh?

haloplainband.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh my god blueroses, that collage almost gave me a heart attack. it''s SO stunning! mmm desktop!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Mara! I know, it is coronary-inducing!!!
10.gif
10.gif

YUMMMMMMMM
18.gif
11.gif
11.gif
23.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results