shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on 2 Sapphires sourced from Whiteflash

happilymarried

Rough_Rock
Still working on find a ring! I really like some of the settings Whiteflash as well as their customer service (Brittany). I reached out to them about finding gemstones. Here are two options they sent... Honestly I am surprised by the price, didn't realize sapphires can be so much money. I am looking to make a ring with halo for our 20th wedding anniversary.

"0.95ct Genuine Heat Treated Oval Blue Sapphire (7x5mm) - $2,275 list price / $2,206.75 wire price. (first photo)

1.15ct GIA certified Untreated/Unheated Very Fine Genuine Oval Blue Sapphire (7.04x5.44mm) - $4,650 list price / $4,510.50 wire price (second photo and report)

These sapphires will have the same visual face up size, and are both beautiful high quality options. The 1.15ct is of a very rare quality, as its beautiful color is natural and without any treatment."

0.95ct Sapphire.jpg

1.15ct No Heat Sapphire.jpg
14056_1.15ct Certificate.jpg

Last edited:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, they can get expensive but I agree, pricing seems high for the quality.

ETA
They seem really dark. I suggest looking for something lighter but equally saturated (intense).

Last edited:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is that dark blue the color you prefer? Keep in mind it will read even darker once set, and perhaps more so if there's a halo around it ...

Are you set on sourcing the sapphire from WF?

Either way, I suggest checking out GemFix's selection of blue sapphires - useful for comparison even if you want to stick with WF.

https://gemfix.com/gem-category/sapphire/blue-sapphire?orderby=price-desc

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prices are high for what they are, and they are dark. I would buy from someone who specializes in sapphires or CS in general

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
These were most likely taken in lighting showing their best color and will be darker in-person. Also, the stone will appear darker depending on the setting. I just received a sapphire ring from James Allen set with my own sapphire, and it is a little lighter than I expected. The setting is open and lets a lot of light in. However, these don't look like they will be much lighter, but it sounds like you prefer the darker blue.

These sapphires are expensive for their size and treatment. These prices are full retail and then some. Are you comfortable shopping on Instagram? There are some great sellers there.

happilymarried

Rough_Rock
I don't think I would be comfortable buying on instagram. I would like to buy from a more established company so I can trust that I could return whatever if I don't like it. I have been lookin through links in the forum, but many don't load and some are just very un-impressive. Not sure I am comfortable sending thousands to a business with a website that looks like 1999 haha.

Do you have photos of the sapphire you have before and after in the ring?

Last edited:

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Mastercut Gems has a couple of possible options. They are great to work with and returns are hassle free. These may look a but dark in the pictures, but my experience has been that their stones look even better in person than the pictures. These both have links to videos in listing as well.
This one isn’t an oval, but is still an eloganted shape that would look nice in a Kate style halo:

happilymarried

Rough_Rock
Thanks for those links. They are much lower in price!

If anyone knows of somewhere that makes a Diana/Kate style ring please let me know, prefer in platinum.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
They have some really nice sapphires and they have access to many more. I would check them out!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for those links. They are much lower in price!

If anyone knows of somewhere that makes a Diana/Kate style ring please let me know, prefer in platinum.

David Klass is used by PS’ers for custom pieces pieces alot, and could definitely make you a Kate ring in platinum. He has also sourced stones/sapphires for people here recently and it might be worth asking him about if you can’t find a stone you like elsewhere.
Here‘s a link showing some of his work. The thread has been around a while, so you can start on the last page if you want to see his more recent work.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The prices seem pretty high for these. I like the second one more. But for $4.5k+ I'd want to come near if not hit the two carat mark even for an unheated sapphire.

fantapanda

Shiny_Rock
How about this sapphire ring from Julia B? Read her description to get the link for a video of the ring.

She also has a setting that is similar to the Diana-style ring here and she can source for a sapphire for you. Julia's prices seem reasonable to me.

Here are some options from Finewater which come with an AGL report:
And one from Litnon - 2.26 ct ($1856).

As others have mentioned, David Klass is wonderful to work with to set your stone. I had him source for the lab diamonds to my YAG and he did even better than I could imagine in getting the sparkliest lab diamonds for a very fair price.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, have you already checked with your WF sales rep as to whether they'd be amenable to setting a customer-owned sapphire in one of their halo settings? I seem to recall they used to, but perhaps their policies on this has changed over the years...

happilymarried

Rough_Rock
Ok, how about these options I found on one of the suggested vendors...

I had found a setting they did previously here... They said about 2400 USD for that in platinum...

The downside is I wouldn't be able to see the sapphire in person since this place is in Australia. What are your thoughts?

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
I would check with Erhoning. They have several beautiful stones right now.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, sapphires are a dense gemstone so their visual size is smaller for their carat weight.
I have meaty fingers (size 7.5) and I thought I should show you what “size” a 7mm x 5mm sapphire is on my finger.
The other photo is a 2 carat oval sapphire set with a diamond halo on a size 7.5 finger. I think this is the “look“ you are aiming for.
Kates engagement ring btw is a BIG sapphire (over 12 carats if I recall). 9181C061-52D7-41CA-A1C0-DAE1E29EEE0E.jpeg 4E8EB164-13A8-4A2E-901D-9C46B0C80B0B.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, how about these options I found on one of the suggested vendors...

I had found a setting they did previously here... They said about 2400 USD for that in platinum...

The downside is I wouldn't be able to see the sapphire in person since this place is in Australia. What are your thoughts?

These all look quite dark and/or grayish.
I like colors like this...

I like the gem fix stones, not sure where I would go to have it put in a setting.

I'm mostly wanting the blue like the Kate Middleton ring etc. Would the choices above be darker than that in real life?
I would choose the above one you posted over anything else I've seen in this thread. David Klass and others will be able to make a beautiful setting

voce

Ideal_Rock
For a Diana/Kate setting, please realize you can use any jeweler and a Stuller setting. You don't have to go the custom ring route with someone like David Klass, and the turnaround time might be faster if you order a Stuller setting.

IMG_20191211_110446.jpg

Going with a Stuller setting, and having my jeweler source the F VS diamonds and have all the stones set, this ring ran me only $1550 in 2019, including the 8x6 unheated Burmese sapphire, the diamonds, all labor and shipping. Although the cost of gold has gone up in the recent year and a half, I would think going with a trusted jeweler for a Stuller setting (14k gold) would be way more cost-effective. It's quite possible Gemfix can do it for you (but this custom work would probably make the sapphire non-refundable, so you should see the sapphire first in person and make sure you want to keep it, before asking Gemfix with the setting).

happilymarried

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the photos above with the rings on your finger. That is helpful, they do look smaller than I thought. My wife has size 7.

Voce, where exactly did you purchase your setting?

voce

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the photos above with the rings on your finger. That is helpful, they do look smaller than I thought. My wife has size 7.

Voce, where exactly did you purchase your setting?

I have never worked with David Klass, and I have experience mainly with three jewelers--Inken of Enhoerning Jewelry, Yvonne of Cecile Raley Designs, and Daniel M. All three of them can order from Stuller, but be aware that CRD doesn't set outside stones, and at this time, unless you are 100% sure about your sapphire, I wouldn't reach out to Inken. She's stopping to take new projects on June 11 because she has a summer vacation planned. After that, she told me she can take projects in September after vacation. In all honesty, Inken is the jeweler who made that ring for me.

The most economical option would be to go with Daniel M. His prices are very competitive, but he's almost a one-man shop so there's times when he had so many projects going on that the ETA is not predictable. However, I find that he is very quick with setting work.

What I would probably do, if I were you, is lock down which sapphire you want first. If it's a standard size (reference my screenshot below), or within 0.2mm of standard size, you can go with Stuller. CRD will probably be able to source you diamonds in the quality and color you want and set the diamonds, leaving just the center stone (assuming this is a sapphire you don't purchase from CRD) to be set by someone else. I would go with Daniel M, who does work with outside stones, to set the sapphire. Daniel is often late with other stuff, but when he sets stones, the turnaround is very quick.

Screenshot_20210606-024657.png

I'm linking you the Stuller standard sizes for the Diana lookalike ring, and a link where you can order it from CRD. I think for Stuller and diamonds, CRD will have a more reliable turnaround because they're based near NYC and don't have to wait for the melee diamonds to arrive by mail.

However, BIG CAVEAT--if your selected sapphire is not close to a standard size, do not go with Stuller. A custom design using the exact dimensions of your stone, whether by David Klass or Daniel M, will look better than a bad fit with Stuller. Daniel will likely cost less than David, but David has more staff on hand for customer service.

Lastly, for size reference the finger I'm wearing that ring on is size 7.5. My 8x6 sapphire oval is 2 carats. If you want a bigger impact, get a bigger sapphire, but then it'll cost more. Have fun with your quest! :razz:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know the NSC has mixed reviews. Anyone have thoughts on this ring, already made?

If you look at the videos, the sapphire has a huge window in the middle, meaning there really isnt any color there.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Another option here. Diamonds by Lauren has a much better reputation than NSC here on PriceScope.

happilymarried

Rough_Rock
The diamonds by Lauren might be about perfect! I was starting to worry about when I could get it in the mail. I will be traveling some this month and July. My wife is also a teacher, so she will be home a lot more. I was starting to wonder about shipping sapphires back and forth and everything.

Is the sapphire in this ring a better quality than the ones I've been posting?

voce

Ideal_Rock
It's not as good in terms of color compared to the Gemfix sapphire, but IMHO it's better than the other ones you posted.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the DBL ring! Bigger stone, clean, good diamond size, platinum. David is an awesome guy to work with, too.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamonds by Lauren might be about perfect! I was starting to worry about when I could get it in the mail. I will be traveling some this month and July. My wife is also a teacher, so she will be home a lot more. I was starting to wonder about shipping sapphires back and forth and everything.

Is the sapphire in this ring a better quality than the ones I've been posting?

Much better than the other ones you posted

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results