shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Acinom's colors

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer low profile rings myself, hence I would opt for 3 layers.

DK :))

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could you have the depth of the 3 layer version but 4 layers?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Arkieb, Ricezo, DK and Niel :wavey:
Your replies are all super helpful.

- The original wax had only 1 thick bezel base to cover most of the depth of the stone. Both option 1 and 2 will have 2 bezel bases which avoids the look of one very thick one.
- The head will be large because of the depth of the stone, but will be kept as low as possible and not larger than needed (but not with the culet scratching my finger).
- Option 2 with 4 layers can thus be made the same height as option 1 with 3 layers.

I have chosen option 2 with 4 layers. The step bezel on top will look balanced (I hope) as the upper bezel will not be a straight round, but will follow the line of the 10-sided round.

Thanks again for chiming in as it helped to review the options carefully. Will inform MW and a new wax will be made.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To milgrain or not to milgrain?
Single cuts or full cuts?

Sooo... my natural blue topaz will be set in a design like below with diamonds on the shank.
I could really use your advice here!
- Do you think I should have the edges of the shank milgrained?
- Should I use full or single cut melee for the shank?

Thank you so much in advance :wavey:

_32560.jpg

_32561.jpg

_32562.jpg

_32563.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just Googled the difference in appearance for single vs full cut melees, would go for single cut melee for a more subdue look so as not to outshine the main stone (if that is at all possible), and no millgrain as I am not a fan of millgrain.

However, it is all down to personal preferences etc. etc...

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1437349809|3904982 said:
I just Googled the difference in appearance for single vs full cut melees, would go for single cut melee for a more subdue look so as not to outshine the main stone (if that is at all possible), and no millgrain as I am not a fan of millgrain.

However, it is all down to personal preferences etc. etc...

Thanks for sharing your view DK!! I truly appreciate it.
I have single cut melee in my VC dipped in sugar ring and I love the look. I agree with you that it would combine well with the natural topaz.

Perhaps I will even add a matching band at a later stage.

S

SparkliesLuver

Hi, Acinom. :) I'd opt for a single row of milgrain along the edges and single cut melee, personally. I think it'd make a beautiful combination, especially with the tone of your natural blue topaz. But if you're looking for more of a clean, modern look, then I'd do without the milgrain. You really can't go wrong either way though! Super excited to see this one set. :D

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for chiming in Sparkliesluver.
Great to hear your opinion as well. Different opinions help me in sharpening my own preferences.

I must say I am currently gearing towards a bit of a vintage feel: both single cuts and milgrain. It might give a great contrast with the cool step cut Topaz.
It's great to work with David on this project.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Danburite ring update
Look at my layered birthday cake!!
Still a high setting, but the layers are better proportioned now.

_32569.jpg

_32570.jpg

_32571.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just received a profile view with the stone resting in the setting as well:

_32572.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for the milgrain! :))

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1437411751|3905239 said:
Another vote for the milgrain! :))

Thank you for your vote Minousbijoux!! :wavey:
I will inform David that I have chosen single cuts and milgrain.

Would you all leave the profile plain or... would you have engraving added.

S

SparkliesLuver

Acinom said:
I will inform David that I have chosen single cuts and milgrain. Would you all leave the profile plain or... would you have engraving added.

Yay! :D I'd leave the profile plain.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1437414458|3905255 said:
Acinom said:
I will inform David that I have chosen single cuts and milgrain. Would you all leave the profile plain or... would you have engraving added.

Yay! :D I'd leave the profile plain.

Thank you for your advice Sparkliesluver :wavey:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have him send you pics before the millgraining. You can always decide after the photo if the millgrain is important.

I love msops ribg, but I love the millgrain on this too

antique_cushion_and_french_cut_0.jpg

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
I love the progress shots - looking good!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1437440470|3905441 said:
Have him send you pics before the millgraining. You can always decide after the photo if the millgrain is important.

I love msops ribg, but I love the millgrain on this too

Thanks for the suggestion and eye candy Niel!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ricezo|1437476052|3905566 said:
I love the progress shots - looking good!

Thank you Ricezo! I am so curious to see what it looks like once the ring is polished and gets the warm and soft look of the Marc Wiliams rings.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom I just want to say that I love your taste in gemstones and jewelry. For your topaz I think that the milgrain and single cut diamonds will enhance the vintage feel of the ring.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Popping in to say hi :wavey: . The danburite ring is going to be gorgeous once it's polished up. I vote for milgrain for your asscher topaz. :mrgreen:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LisaRN said:
Acinom I just want to say that I love your taste in gemstones and jewelry. For your topaz I think that the milgrain and single cut diamonds will enhance the vintage feel of the ring.
Thank you for your kind words LisaRN :wavey:
I love contemporary/modern pieces as well as a good dose of vintage. I have informed David that I indeed would like to add a touch of vintage for the natural topaz ring.

Lovinggems said:
Popping in to say hi :wavey: . The danburite ring is going to be gorgeous once it's polished up. I vote for milgrain for your asscher topaz. :mrgreen:
Thanks for chiming in Lovinggems :wavey: and thank you for your vote for the Asscher topaz.
I am more than ever super curious to see how he Danburite ring will turn out since the stone is so deep and therefore the head needs to be quite high. I cannot wait to see it polished.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Danburite ring update
I just received a new update photo from Marc Williams. The ring is now at the right size and the next step is to solder the bezel to the base, which will create the 4 layer look.

_32623.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow Acinom that is going to be one amazing ring! This forum introduced me to Marc Williams--his work is fantastic and I can't wait to see your finished pics!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1437608848|3906298 said:
wow Acinom that is going to be one amazing ring! This forum introduced me to Marc Williams--his work is fantastic and I can't wait to see your finished pics!

Thank you Lovedogs!! I can hardly wait for the next update. Especially since the MW is pushing boundaries with my super deep stone.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the stone I did NOT buy because I am on a ban...

I instantly fell in love with the natural peacock colored sapphire on Jeff White's FB :love:
There is more rough available and offcourse I inquired immediately. Decided against it because of budget constraints and Big Ban...
I already regret it. Hopefully PSers will reserve the other pieces and I can live vicariously through them.
The pieces available range from 1,5 - 2,5 ct and pricing is between 1100 - 1500 per carat.

_32636.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1437666601|3906504 said:
the stone I did NOT buy because I am on a ban...

I instantly fell in love with the natural peacock colored sapphire on Jeff White's FB :love:
There is more rough available and offcourse I inquired immediately. Decided against it because of budget constraints and Big Ban...
I already regret it. Hopefully PSers will reserve the other pieces and I can live vicariously through them.
The pieces available range from 1,5 - 2,5 ct and pricing is between 1100 - 1500 per carat.

I could not agree more. My only questions would be how they look when they are not being photographed under ideal light? Do they appear darker? What do they look like in incandescent and fluorescent light? But yeah, gorgeous color and there is nothing better than Jeff's cutting. Period. End. Of. Story.

S

SparkliesLuver

Ohhhhh, Acinom. :love: This is why I'm not on FB. :lol: minousbijoux, you make excellent points! I wonder if he's taken other pictures.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree Minousbijoux and Sparkliesluver. The stone will no doubt be gorgeous in real life, but it might be relatively dark. If people are considering buying one of the three remaining pieces, it could be worthwhile to ask Jeff if he has made photo's of the commissioned stone on the back of his hand.
And yes... Jeff's cutting is absolutely amazing. I was having a hard time after I had sent the email to Jeff to inform him that I would not have one cut.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The peacock sapphire does not thrill me as much as his blue zircons posted on 06 Oct 2014, it is not a stone I would purchase even if I had the money to spare. Therefore, I shall stick to my plans for a 6ct+ aqua and a sizeable blue zircon for next year.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe we should all be enablers and talk you into buying one :naughty: after all the big ban has not officially started yet.... :whistle:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results