shape
carat
color
clarity

Absolute Newb: Where to start?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Platinum is a much better choice for a high quality engagement ring.

I would ask BGD to source a nice GIA 3X stone for your budget. They are great at that. Seriously.

Jmlleiva

Rough_Rock
msop04|1462641664|4028655 said:
Assuming you wanted the classic Tiffany half round (tapered/knife edge or not) in platinum, that leaves about $6750 left for the diamond.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/classic-style-half-round-platinum-5478p

This is the ONLY diamond in there inventory with specs G-J, VS2-SI that was less than $7000. It is a J with a touch of fluoro... don't know if I'd go below I, but that's all they had...

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.155-j-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104085573012

I did some calculations and going to move my budget back to 10K. I will but a good downpayment so it won't be a burden on me. I'm looking at Brian Gavin and their setting. I talked to them already. Just need to go ahead and give them the ok.

Jmlleiva

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1462661982|4028766 said:

I would ask BGD to source a nice GIA 3X stone for your budget. They are great at that. Seriously.

What is a GIA 3x stone?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jmlleiva|1462739649|4029036 said:
Gypsy|1462661982|4028766 said:

What is a GIA 3x stone?

Excellent Cut
Excellent Polish
Excellent Symmetry

There is a wide variety of quality of XXX stones... then you have to run the HCA, get an IS/ASET/etc... Personally, I don't see the point in paying more at BG when you could get a larger stone for the same price and just use his setting. To me, the whole point of BG was for his AGS stones -- you can find a great XXX from many other vendors for less.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You csn get stone somewhere else, but you can also wait till they find you a stone and see if the price is competitive. If it is and they provide an ideal scope...one stop shopping.

I may have misread the issue though. I recommended the 3X cause I thought BGD didn't have an AGS0 in budget that meets you size/ spec requirements and you wanted one stop shopping. If they do, ignore me.

Jmlleiva

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1462750440|4029089 said:
You can get stone somewhere else, but you can also wait till they find you a stone and see if the price is competitive. If it is and they provide an ideal scope...one stop shopping.

I may have misread the issue though. I recommended the 3X cause I thought BGD didn't have an AGS0 in budget that meets you size/ spec requirements and you wanted one stop shopping. If they do, ignore me.

How much do AGS0 stones usually cost? My budget is $10K, which people say is a very healthy budget. I'm fine with a 1 carat diamond since her finger is so small (5.5).

I want to do one stop shopping.

It seems like if I go with BGD, that I will be overpaying. But when I go look at James Allen, there are like a lot of holes I have to jump through to ensure it is a quality diamond. Am I better off just paying a little more to have a piece of mind with BGD.

Thanks

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jmlleiva said:
You can get stone somewhere else, but you can also wait till they find you a stone and see if the price is competitive. If it is and they provide an ideal scope...one stop shopping.

How much do AGS0 stones usually cost? My budget is $10K, which people say is a very healthy budget. I'm fine with a 1 carat diamond since her finger is so small (5.5).

It seems like if I go with BGD, that I will be overpaying. But when I go look at James Allen, there are like a lot of holes I have to jump through to ensure it is a quality diamond. Am I better off just paying a little more to have a piece of mind with BGD.

Thanks

Personally, I'd rather let the PS community do the work for me (as far as jumping through hoops, you only have to inquire about the specific stones).

I think you could easily get a 1.2-1.3 ct diamond that is amazing through JA vs a 1 ct via BG. There will be a visual size difference. She will notice the difference.

Jmlleiva

Rough_Rock
msop04|1462801734|4029263 said:
Jmlleiva said:

Thanks

Personally, I'd rather let the PS community do the work for me (as far as jumping through hoops, you only have to inquire about the specific stones).

I think you could easily get a 1.2-1.3 ct diamond that is amazing through JA vs a 1 ct via BG. There will be a visual size difference. She will notice the difference.

Yeh, but will the cut be the same? Looking for quality over quantity.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jmlleiva said:
Jmlleiva said:

Thanks

Yeh, but will the cut be the same?

Yep. You just have to dig a little deeper. Esp since BG didn't have any AGS stones in budget.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy said:
You csn get stone somewhere else, but you can also wait till they find you a stone and see if the price is competitive. If it is and they provide an ideal scope...one stop shopping.

You could also see about this. See if BG can find you a GIA XXX diamond in the 1.2 to 1.3 range that is competitive in price with JA. May as well try.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why not an entire preloved ring? Lots of nice stone/setting combos out there for your budget. Which btw 8k is MORE than a fair budget, even half that is!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
vintagelover229 said:
Why not an entire preloved ring? Lots of nice stone/setting combos out there for your budget. Which btw 8k is MORE than a favor budget, even half that is!

Great suggestion, vintagelover! [emoji1360]

OP, would you be open to that?

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1462808139|4029299 said:
vintagelover229 said:
Why not an entire preloved ring? Lots of nice stone/setting combos out there for your budget. Which btw 8k is MORE than a favor budget, even half that is!

I of course am bias, but that's bc my ring was preloved and after my AVR reset and recently listing it-I am hoping someone else buys "used" to get a good value so that way pretty preowned rings get love too! That's how I shop though, nearly all my pieces are preloved.

Sooo many nice settings on the preloved market too, for a variety of stone sizes. Saves a fortune not paying the mark up of retail. More bang for your buck!

Jmlleiva

Rough_Rock
msop04|1462802130|4029269 said:
Jmlleiva said:
Jmlleiva said:

Thanks

Yep. You just have to dig a little deeper. Esp since BG didn't have any AGS stones in budget.

The stone I am looking at is AGS the guy tells me. It is within my budget. It is 1.16 Carats. I think the cost is $8K

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jmlleiva said:
msop04|1462802130|4029269 said:
Jmlleiva said:
Jmlleiva said:

Thanks

The stone I am looking at is AGS the guy tells me. It is within my budget. It is 1.16 Carats. I think the cost is $8K

What is the spread? That's what she'll see. Weight really doesn't matter, as some stones measure larger or smaller than others at the same carat weight.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
vintagelover229 said:
msop04|1462808139|4029299 said:
vintagelover229 said:

I of course am bias, but that's bc my ring was preloved and after my AVR reset and recently listing it-I am hoping someone else buys "used" to get a good value so that way pretty preowned rings get love too! That's how I shop though, nearly all my pieces are preloved.

Sooo many nice settings on the preloved market too, for a variety of stone sizes. Saves a fortune not paying the mark up of retail. More bang for your buck!

I agree! [emoji389][emoji389][emoji389]

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you looking at the H SI1 at BG?

Just so you could see what your money would buy you at James Allen - these are all their "True Hearts" diamonds (beautifully cut) and graded by AGS. http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/?CaratFrom=1.20&CaratTo=30&Color=I,H,G,F,E,D&Clarity=SI1,VS2,VS1,VVS2,VVS1,IF,FL&Cut=TrueHearts&PriceFrom=200&PriceTo=8500&Sort=Carat%20desc,%20DefaultOrder&ViewsOptions=Images

My pick would probably be this one because it gets you to the 7mm mark: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.32-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-1006237

piano

Rough_Rock
Cinderellie74|1462810924|4029322 said:
Mu husband spent $1000 on my ring and it was beautiful. I also don't particularly care for diamonds and he knew that so he got just the right ring for me. I absolutely love it. It could have been a bit smaller but because he chose it...I love it because he loves me. Size doesn't matter it is the meaning behind it that is what counts.
You win the heart of every man on Earth, sis. :)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jmlleiva said:
msop04|1462814207|4029346 said:
Jmlleiva said:

That diamond is beautiful, no doubt. That said, I don't think there is any reason why you shouldn't meet or exceed the 7 mm mark with your budget.

What is 7mm?

I think you're confusing carat weight with the size of the diamond. To be clear, two diamonds of the saying carat weight may face up differently in size.

The spread is the diameter of the diamond, which is the size. That is what you see when you look at a diamond.

A 7+ mm spread/diameter is what you should shoot for, given your budget.

Jmlleiva

Rough_Rock
msop04|1462814570|4029351 said:
Jmlleiva said:
msop04|1462814207|4029346 said:
Jmlleiva said:

That diamond is beautiful, no doubt. That said, I don't think there is any reason why you shouldn't meet or exceed the 7 mm mark with your budget.

What is 7mm?

I think you're confusing carat weight with the size of the diamond. To be clear, two diamonds of the saying carat weight may face up differently in size.

The spread is the diameter of the diamond, which is the size. That is what you see when you look at a diamond.

A 7+ mm spread/diameter is what you should shoot for, given your budget.

Ahh, okay. Gotcha

Jmlleiva

Rough_Rock
[deleted] Answered my own question.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1462814347|4029349 said:
Jmlleiva said:
jetmal|1462811511|4029326 said:
What about this gorgeous, and sizeable August Vintage Round? talk about bang for your buck! Totally within your budget, and larger than others you're looking at.....it's a rare find!!!!! :dance:

https://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-diamond/1-dot-64-n-si-avr

Too big, she is a size 5.5

If you think she'd like that and wanted to pursue it, that ring can easily be sized, no? Appears to be sizable.

Thanks for the link jetmal: This is my current wedding set and yes-it can easily be sized from a 4.5 to a 5.5-the band is currently attached to the engagement ring (soldered together) but could taken apart. I'm bias but I think she'd probably faint if she were to open a box with this ring in it-I know I did! But then again he can't really go wrong with PSers help and an 8k budget-she'll faint no matter what he ends up with :loopy:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results