shape
carat
color
clarity

A ruby, ruby, or a padparadscha?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I prefer the last one you posted - they are nice and red.

I really dislke the second one. The shape is too wonky for me.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I like them, but I''m worried about which one in the bunch I might get and how the cutting will be on it.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I think you made a good choice when it comes to those three stones, not because the chosen one is precision cut, but because the other ruby is a roval (which is OK for a custom bezel, but not for a setting intended for a round stone IMO, while something with a halo would probably leave you with a weird airline), and a pad has clarity issues that I would tolerate only in top color emeralds (...or rubies...or paraibas).

When it comes to that parcel of rubies, I think there's only one that I'd consider based on this pic, and it's the third one from the left if you start at the bottom left corner. It's quite red, has an acceptable clarity (at least to me) and doesen't have major i.e. really obvious cutting flaws.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I HAD to get one, I’ll probably get the ACS if the price is right. Because of the dark tone and the lack of red, it has to be priced inexpensively. As for the group ruby picture, I’ll pass. Mainly for clarity and cutting issues which are quite terrible. The colour is nothing to shout about either.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Loving Diamonds,
I tried to comment on your gorgeous stone, but the post is closed.

Shz,
Please go back and look at her ruby post. There are some other nice ones on here, but not a lot. I have a thread on here about my ruby; I think there is one by Widget, and Simply Splendid has an incredible ruby. But, you don't find a post every month on rubies. They are my favorite stone.

Looking for a right stone can be fun, if you enjoy the hunt, as I do, and lots of others on here do as well.
Having said that, I am just not crazy about anything you are looking at right now. I think you need to take your time and enjoy the process. I wear my ruby as my engagement ring. To me, a ruby is special. Maybe that is just me, since ruby is my only daughter's birthstone, my late father's birthstone, and my dear father-in-law's birthstone. But a ruby is something I had always wanted; it represented something to me. I guess if a ruby is just something else to add to your collection, that one of these will be fine. I don't know what you want out of the stone.

Hope this helps,
Pink

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Are you looking for a ruby so that you have a "ruby" or are you looking at these stones which happened to be called rubies because you like their color? If you''re looking for that "ruby" designation then I would probably keep looking for something redder. If it''s the fact that you think these stones are pretty and they just happen to be rubies, then go for it (I like the purple ACS one as well as the cranberry colored roval).

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Pink Tower, your ruby ring is absolutely gorgeous. You are correct, threads about rubies are few and far between. Allisonfaye is another PS''er that comes to mind when I think of rubies, and also Amethyste. This ring is really important to me, which is why I am posting about it and looking for opinions. I have been searching around for quite some time, and I''ve only seen one other ruby that I am really crazy about. Maybe I should save up for that one...

Austen Nut, I''m looking for a ruby because I''ve always wanted a ruby ring. Rubies are my birthstone and also are also my mother''s birthstone. I have other pieces of ruby jewelery link but none in ''western'' pieces.

I actually prefer darker and more purple rubies (I''m attaching a shot) and I''m waiting to make the final decision once I get Barry''s ruby in my hands. The setting I ordered is in yellow gold, which I am hoping will will help brighten the stone.

RUBY121213.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
how bout this? not sure if there''s a slight window though
37.gif

http://www.palagems.com/php/db_search.php?action=gemdetail&inventory_number=16738

ask Gary Dutton or Wink for a price on this

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Thanks D&T! That is a gorgeous ruby.

Ok, I am attaching a couple other pictures of rubies. The first one has been a favorite of mine for some time, but is only about 1/3 of a carat.

ruby34.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
This ruby seems to be the most red out of all the ones I''ve posted. However, I still find myself leaning towards deeper reds with purple secondary tones.

ruby35.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Lastly, here's a Precision Gem ruby (sold) that is really quite purple. As a counter to Chrono and LD....is it really that unaccepted for these stones to be called rubies? I consider both Gene and Barry to be honest and reputable cutters; why would they label these as rubies if they weren't? I certainly appreciate both Chrono, LD, and everyone else's honest opinions. After all, that's why I posted these rubies (or what seem to be rubies to me).

I would love it if Gene or another cutter would chime in, or Ltlfirecracker as she has seen Barry's ruby in person?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the Precision Gem ruby. Gene does say "0.80 ct. Here''s an all natural unheated sapphire/ruby from Lake Baringo." which shows that he knows some might interpret this stone to be a sapphire rather that a ruby. But he also does imply that this could be a ruby as well.

pl_943_thumbnail_1.png

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Have you considered rubelites or rhodolites? They could match your color preferences very well, while still being easier to source (especially rhodolites) and possibly cost you less - or at least allow you to get a larger stone for the same money.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I''d really like a ruby. What do you think of this one?

ruby341.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I really like the color on the one Gene cut ( even if it's a bit more of a sapphire to some) !

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2009 11:08:58 AM
Author: szh07
I''d really like a ruby. What do you think of this one?
Honestly I''m not crazy about a purple component in rubies (other than that it''s perfectly fine), but that''s all a matter of one''s taste - I prefer them as red as possible. If I would want a stone that looked like this one in all aspects, I''d probably browse rubelites, cause they often have that sleepy, velvety appearance and a purplish red hue. But to all it''s own
2.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not a Ruby person. I just don''t like red that much. So I really prefer the ones you''ve posted that have alot of purple in them. I think you should go with the COLOR that YOU love. Even if the majority of PSers prefer something else.

And I do really like that setting. Hope you enjoy the Stone Hunt!
9.gif

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Thanks InnerKitten, Ma Re, and Stone Hunter! Hehe Stone Hunter, I am certainly enjoying the hunt.
1.gif

I''ve always grown up seeing Burmese rubies, so I tend to prefer the purplish cast that they are known for. I don''t really like bright reds.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/25/2009 7:00:13 PM
Here''s the Precision Gem ruby. Gene does say ''0.80 ct. Here''s an all natural unheated sapphire/ruby from Lake Baringo.'' which shows that he knows some might interpret this stone to be a sapphire rather that a ruby. But he also does imply that this could be a ruby as well.
My friend actually bought this one and in truth it''s probably more leaning towards sapphire than ruby BUT it''s a gorgeous glowy stone!

I agree with you SZH that it''s difficult to determine where a sapphire ends and a ruby begins. Each person sees colours slightly differently and what will be a Ruby to one person will be too pink for another.

I actually like the deeper red rubies (and ones that tend to have more purple than pink) so not a million miles away from what you like. The problem I have with the ones you''ve posted is that they''re generally too dark. So IRL you''ll see (I think) much more black than red and once set, the darkness may take over. The one that you said had more red I actually see as being too pink! See what I mean about seeing colours differently!? At the end of the day though, Stone Hunter gave good advice. You must buy what you like and ignore us!!!

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Szh,

My ruby came with a report from Swisslab.
You may find it helpful to look at the color guide on their site. Click on the tab on the left side of the site called lab report and it will take you to the chart. There is a lot of helpful information on rubies on his site.

-Pink

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2009 3:46:53 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Date: 11/25/2009 7:00:13 PM

Here''s the Precision Gem ruby. Gene does say ''0.80 ct. Here''s an all natural unheated sapphire/ruby from Lake Baringo.'' which shows that he knows some might interpret this stone to be a sapphire rather that a ruby. But he also does imply that this could be a ruby as well.

My friend actually bought this one and in truth it''s probably more leaning towards sapphire than ruby BUT it''s a gorgeous glowy stone!

I agree with you SZH that it''s difficult to determine where a sapphire ends and a ruby begins. Each person sees colours slightly differently and what will be a Ruby to one person will be too pink for another.

I actually like the deeper red rubies (and ones that tend to have more purple than pink) so not a million miles away from what you like. The problem I have with the ones you''ve posted is that they''re generally too dark. So IRL you''ll see (I think) much more black than red and once set, the darkness may take over. The one that you said had more red I actually see as being too pink! See what I mean about seeing colours differently!? At the end of the day though, Stone Hunter gave good advice. You must buy what you like and ignore us!!!

Is your friend a PS''er? That is a beautiful stone. I watched it for a couple days after Gene put it up. You make a good point about how the stone might look after its set- the setting should get to me just before, or at the same time as the stone, so I''ll be able to place it in the setting and see how it looks. I noticed that you have rubies in both yellow metals and white metals; do you have a personal preference? The rule of thumb is usually yellow, but I really like your three stone ring and it seems to have white prongs.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2009 4:11:55 PM
Author: Pink Tower
Szh,

My ruby came with a report from Swisslab.

You may find it helpful to look at the color guide on their site. Click on the tab on the left side of the site called lab report and it will take you to the chart. There is a lot of helpful information on rubies on his site.

Thanks for the suggestion Pink Tower! They have a lot of detailed information. The most interesting was an article about the challenges of gemologists every time a new deposit is discovered. I''ve attached a chart of the corundum family tree that I found on the site as well.

-Pink

Corundumfamilytree.jpg

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/25/2009 6:58:06 PM
Lastly, here''s a Precision Gem ruby (sold) that is really quite purple.

so in asia
most of the red and off reds are all called rubies
its only in the usa that they choose to differentiate things (no idea why)

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Gene and Barry are both American cutters, but it does seem to me that Asian standards are more flexible when it comes to titling a gem a ruby.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SZH - if you''re buying an LOGR setting just bear in mind that they sometimes fold the prongs inwards a little too much and so it''s difficult to slip your stone in and you have to perch it on top. So annoying!!!! If you put the gem between your fingers, you''ll get a reasonable idea of what it''ll look like once set (unless you bezel and then add a bit more darkness into the mix)!

Personally I like rubies in either yellow or white gold and they look good in both but I think it very much depends on the tone of the ruby.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results