shape
carat
color
clarity

A ruby, ruby, or a padparadscha?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I just bought a 5mm round solitaire setting from LOGR that should be here in a week. I'd like to set a gem into it by December 12th, when I leave for a wedding. The ring is in 14k with upgraded diamonds. They never really asked me what color gold I wanted, though I asked for yellow, so I'm not sure if they've got it down. Regardless, here are the color swatches of the three gems I am considering.

First ruby; its a roval shape.

ruby3232.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Another ruby.

rub1212.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Here's the padparadscha. I love the color, and it looks like padparadscha color to me.

pad686.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the setting I won. I am really pumped about this ring.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What setting? I can''t see a photo or link!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/24/2009 3:56:13 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Invisible set?
11.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I recognize that pad sapphire. I liked the color too, but there seems to be zoning and a lot of inclusion..

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/24/2009 4:01:32 PM
Author: Chrono

Invisible set?
11.gif
Yeah I don''t see the photo of the setting or the link to it either.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/24/2009 4:07:12 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Oh, I recognize that pad sapphire. I liked the color too, but there seems to be zoning and a lot of inclusion..
I can''t tell from the gem swatch; only that I see either smudges or those are inclusions.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/24/2009 4:11:11 PM
Author: Stone Hunter

What setting? I can't see a photo or link!
Invisible set?
11.gif
Yeah I don't see the photo of the setting or the link to it either.
So D&T what are you seeing that we aren't? Is there a code to unlock this thread? Do we need to chant and walk backwards? Tell us what to do!
9.gif

SZH - can you give us slightly bigger pictures? The first two rubies look (in order), too pink and too purple and I'm not seeing red but that could be because the swatches are too little. I like the colour of the Pad but again, it's so difficult to see. Can you disguise the stones somehow but still give us a bigger example?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Sorry! Here''s the setting.

223q23.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/24/2009 4:14:47 PM

Date: 11/24/2009 4:11:11 PM
Author: Stone Hunter

Invisible set?
11.gif
Yeah I don''t see the photo of the setting or the link to it either.
So D&T what are you seeing that we aren''t? Is there a code to unlock this thread? Do we need to chant and walk backwards? Tell us what to do!
9.gif

SZH - can you give us slightly bigger pictures? The first two rubies look (in order), too pink and too purple and I''m not seeing red but that could be because the swatches are too little. I like the colour of the Pad but again, it''s so difficult to see. Can you disguise the stones somehow but still give us a bigger example?
lol...LD- no I don''t see her ring pics either, I''m just going off of SZH mentioning that its for a 5mm stone...lol so I don''t even know if SZ even needs a stone
37.gif

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Ok, ok...I provide complete pictures!

pado93-123.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/24/2009 4:13:54 PM

I can''t tell from the gem swatch; only that I see either smudges or those are inclusions.

I''d link you, but I''m assuming Szh is trying to prevent a lurker from buying it, lol.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Ruby

ruby2324.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD,
For me, I can’t see squat about the colour for stone 1; it’s just too small to even gauge the colour when I take into account the glare and scintillation.
Stone 2 is clearly very purple, without even a hint of red.
Stone 3: I see no orange, just pink with some hints of brown. Possibly clarity issues too.

Again, all 3 are based on these tiny eye challenged pictures.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Last ruby.

rubyq3434.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please correct me if I'm wrong but the 2 rubies do not strike me as rubies. I'm just not seeing the red in both stones. The first is rather pink and the second (ACS?) is quite purple. That said, I like the colour of the 1st stone. It's a very nice strong pink.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Hehe, yes, I was trying to prevent a lurker from buying these gems. Also, I wanted an unbiased opinion based on color and I thought that the one precision cut gem of the bunch would be favored because its precision cut. All three are priced about the same.

ETA: I've decided I'm definitely getting the precision cut ruby (its the one that is round and more purple). I might as well let the cat out of the bag for that one. Its cut by Barry, and is the same ruby that Ltlfirecracker posted pictures of earlier this year. I'd would still love to hear if you all think of the other two, and if you might think that the two are worth getting as well.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2009 4:30:51 PM
Please correct me if I'm wrong but the 2 rubies do not strike me as rubies. I'm just not seeing the red in both stones. The first is rather pink and the second (ACS?) is quite purple. That said, I like the colour of the 1st stone. It's a very nice strong pink.

Ltlfirecracker commented that it was much more red in person, though she did say that it was dark. I think these are both rubies. It seems to me that some will only give the label of a ruby to a top colored gem...I wouldn't classify either of these stones a pink sapphire, or a purple sapphire. There are dark tsavorites that are still called tsavorites, or other stones with modifiers that keep them from being their ideal color, but are still hold the same name as a top color stone would.

ETA: I do appreciate your opinion and honest feedback.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t pay ruby or pad prices for any of those. Ditto Chrono. Sorry.
40.gif

Indylady

Ideal_Rock

Zoning? I did notice the inclusions but didn''t notice zoning. Maybe they are more apparent in the other shots? Since you know what know the stone it is, wouldn''t you say its a pretty good deal?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2009 4:46:16 PM
Author: FrekeChild
I wouldn''t pay ruby or pad prices for any of those. Ditto Chrono. Sorry.
40.gif

The prices are really reasonable! I know these aren''t top colors, but they''re colors I like in prices I can afford.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
D&T, that''s a pretty spinel!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The mist has cleared! Thanks SZH!

Okey dokey well here''s my input for what it''s worth (about 2 cents!!!)

The ruby from ACS is lovely and I respect Barry''s opinion but honestly, I wouldn''t call this gem a ruby. It''s incredibly pretty but, for me, lacks the redness of a Ruby - but hey what do I know!!! I''m a bit of a ruby snob and insist my rubies are red so I''m the wrong person to ask on this one
9.gif

The second ruby actually is, for me, a better colour, but there are clarity and cut issues with this one and honestly, it won''t look as nice in the setting as the one from ACS.

As for the Pad? Mmmmmm - I''d give that one a swerve. It has clarity issues AND I think that''s a burn mark and not a splodge of orange! I could be wrong though.

If the gemstone from ACS is a sapphire price and not a ruby price, I''d go for it.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Thanks LD! My definition of a ruby is more flexible than others. However, I might have to actually see it in person before I can make a final decision. I will certainly post pictures once I get it in. Do you have any threads about your rubies? I think I''ve seen some pictures, but I would love to see a thread!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No thread I''m afraid - sorry. I think I''ve posted my 6.5ct marquise cut somewhere. Let me know if you want to see a picture but I certainly don''t want to highjack your thread.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Are these better? They''re about 4.5mm Burmese rubies. The color seems great but cuts seem terrible. I would be buying one.

rubyr45434-4.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I would love to see a picture LD!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results