shape
carat
color
clarity

A Little Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ccphb

Rough_Rock
Hopefully this is a good spot to post this. I happened to stumble across this site when I was looking for ring information and it looks like a lot of good people with some good posts so here I go.

I need some advice/opinions from a female point of view and I can’t ask most my female friends because they are friends with my girlfriend and I want this to be a complete surprise so it really limits who I can ask. Hopefully I can summarize this without writing a book.

My girlfriend and I have known each other for about 10 year and have been dating for about 2 years. A few months ago we started talking about getting married and decided to go to premarital counseling to make sure all of our ducks were in a row (will be 2nd marriage for both and we both have kids so we want to make sure we do it right and it is forever). At this point I have never officially proposed and we haven’t even gone to look at rings but I want to make it official so last week, without her knowing, I went and looked at engagement rings. I had no intention of buying a ring and was just looking to get an idea of styles, but I ended up finding a ring that I couldn’t put down, beautiful natural yellow diamond at the top with white diamonds under it and leading up the side to it. The only thing she has ever said about rings is that she wanted a yellow diamond and was different than the standard rings that are out there and this (IMHO) fit both of those criteria perfectly.

Now that all that is out there, here is my dilemma….The ring is too small and I’m not 100% of her size. I thought she was about a 7.5 (based on some shopping trips I have accompanied her on), but a couple of people that I did tell didn’t think that was possible because she has a fairly small frame and they guessed more of a 6. A couple days ago I snuck a couple rings out of her house and had them sized and one was a 7.5 and the other was 7.75, so I felt good about the 7.5 I originally thought. But then I was told there can be a full size difference between the left and right ring fingers and I’m not sure if she has ever worn these rings on her left hand (she doesn’t wear her rings very often). I came up with a story to ask her for her ring size without it being suspicious and it worked great….but she told me she wasn’t even sure….she thought maybe a 7.5, but she also thought it might even be an 8 because she has big knuckles for her size (so she says).

So my question is this. Should I go with my gut and just get it sized at a 7.5 or should I wait until after I officially propose and have her sized? I would like for her to be able to have the ring as soon as she sees it and not have to wait until we get her sized and then have the ring resized. If you were being proposed to would you want to wait to get the ring? Also, will it cause any structural problems to have it sized 2 times if 7.5 ends up being wrong?

Sorry so long but this is stressing me out a little because I really want this to be a complete surprise and right now she doesn’t even think I have thought about getting her a ring.

Any input would be appreciated.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Employ guile. Ask her friends, sister, mom, whoever, to take her shopping with them and to drag her into a store to get *their* fingers sized for fun, and have her participate too(i.e., "Oh, CCPHB''s GF, you have such pretty hands - what size is YOUR finger?"). Sizing isn''t generally a big deal (unless we''re talking an eternity band, or the like), but it''ll be lovely if she can wear the ring immediately.

P.S. - We''re image-hounds, here ... wanna post pictures of the ring you chose? I know *I''d* love to see it!

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Another ploy that could work if she is a REALLY deep sleeper...when she''s asleep, take a piece of string and measure her finger and mark how big it would be, and take it to the jeweler to have them measure what size that would translate too.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2008 8:19:20 PM
Author: Sabine
Another ploy that could work if she is a REALLY deep sleeper...when she''s asleep, take a piece of string and measure her finger and mark how big it would be, and take it to the jeweler to have them measure what size that would translate too.
This might not work if she has larger knuckles though.

I have about half a size difference between my left and right, but my right hand is actually larger, so maybe the same is true for her?

cara

Ideal_Rock
If she is right-handed, and the ring does not have any problems that would suggest resizing would be especially problematic, I would get it sized to a 7.5 and go with that.

She will want to put it on, so I think increasing the size is a must. If it is still a little small or a little big that can be tweaked later.

There is some risk everytime you size it, and some rings are more difficult to size, so my answer changes if the ring is particularly challenging to size. Ask the jeweler. If they don''t think resizing will be a problem, go with 7.5.

ccphb

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately, she is a very light sleeper so I couldn’t get away with that and I don’t trust any of her close friends to take her to the mall without the whole thing slipping out. I think I will just go with the 7.5 and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks very much for the feedback.

Will get a few pics up.

ccphb1.JPG

ccphb

Rough_Rock
Top view.

ccphb2.JPG

ccphb

Rough_Rock
Full ring.

ccphb3.JPG

ccphb

Rough_Rock
Full ring side.

ccphb4.JPG

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
That''s a gorgeous ring! I know you were looking for a woman''s point of view on this, but seeing as I''m in the same boat, I thought I''d tell you what I did. I stole one of her rings, just like you did, and it measured an 8, so that''s what I went with. I''ve seen her wear her rings interchangeably between her middle and ring fingers on her right hand, so I figured I was safe. I actually had them size it a hair bigger so that there''d be no question that it would go on her finger the first time and then we could resize it if we need to, but you should be safe, is my guess.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lovely and unique! Now, it looks like the princess cut stones on the sides are invisible-set: I seem to recall someone on the board having an issue with hers popping out (possibly because of sizing ... Hairgirl? Yep, found the thread - hairgirl95's thread). In it, two of our board experts, Gary H. and Oldminer agree that invisible settings can be hell to resize. Now, I don't have any experience with these kinds of settings myself, but if you're still within the return period, would it be possible for you to try to get one that was made in her size originally, just to avoid problems down the line?

ccphb

Rough_Rock
Thanks dockman, appreciate the input, makes me feel better about going with my gut.

I will read that thread Circe, I was planning on going back tomorrow at lunch so I will see if they can swap it out. As if worrying about the size wasn''t enough.
3.gif

ccphb

Rough_Rock
Dropped it off today and they didn’t have one in her size so I’m going forward with the resize and crossing my fingers the invisible setting holds. They told me if something went wrong they would track down the ring in her size, but also assured me their people are the best (which I’m sure everyone says). I have bought several things there and a guy I work with has probably bought enough jewelry there to open his own jewelry store so I do trust them to back the ring if something goes wrong.

hairgirl95

Shiny_Rock
Hey--

Circe, I am glad you pulled that post of mine up! CCPHB, trust me on this, if you can switch that mounting out for something without invisible set diamonds, DO IT. The setting I had gave me nothing but problems. I had 1 diamond pop out, and had the stone replaced. Then after wearing it for about 6 weeks, I had 2 other stones that became really loose. Everyone on here gave me the same advice--anytime you tweak a mounting, whether by sizing, changing the stone, etc it will compromise the invisible sets. I had mine a little over a year before the problems started. My jeweler fed me the same hooey that yours did--oh we are the best, we can fix anything, blah blah blah. Fixing the mounting actually creates MORE problems with it. I really hope you consider changing to a more stable mounting. It will save you so much grief later on. Good luck! Let us know what you decide to do.
1.gif

ETA--I ended up getting a different mounting in March and putting an end to the invisible set diamond debacle. The new mounting is a channel set. And I have had zero problems with it at all. The new setting is much more stable.

ccphb

Rough_Rock
I go pick it back up tomorrow. I''m hoping for the best, but know it could cause problems long term. Going to just cross my fingers and hope for the best.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Good luck!

ccphb

Rough_Rock
Forgot to also add, as long as everything looks good I plan on making everything official and popping the question this weekend. She has been my best friend for several years now so it has been sooooo hard not saying anything to her about it, I have almost slipped a couple of times....I will be glad to have it off my chest.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results