color
clarity

A hanforging journey - Five-Stone Eight-Prong trellis by DBL

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: A hanforging journey - Five-Stone Eight-Prong trellis by

LD!!!!
Here I go saying how the ring usually does not look like the cad, and you just have to go and prove me wrong:)
Seriously- that's an amazing Cad/Ring result- really nice!!!

Mike- the more knowledgeable folks here- the more even handed, and educational the forum will be. Have fun buddy!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

Mike R|1323716945|3079905 said:
Having a ring handmade is sort of like giving the same photo to different artists and asking them to reproduce it with acrylic on canvas, you will get very different results. That is why it is so important to look at other examples of the artists/jewellers work and make sure you are happy with what you see, like RD said.

Also keep in mind, because you may like how one artist produces one style that it does not necessarily mean you will like how they make a different style ring. Often small workshops specialize in making one style and can be challenged producing something that does not fit within their comfort zone.

Big Mega Ditto! This is what I have been saying forever often falling on deaf ears.

I made the mistake once going against my better judgement - went with someone which had examples of work I didn't love and thinking that it will be different for my piece. I was wrong. Never again :)

I will only go with shops that have examples of styles similar to what I am making. I will use different shops depending on what I want to make. The prime reason I see failures on PS from our well known vendors is when customers ask for something out of their norm.

Mike R

Shiny_Rock

Rockdiamond|1323725126|3080007 said:
Mike- the more knowledgeable folks here- the more even handed, and educational the forum will be. Have fun buddy!

I have been here for a while, my clients Klewis and Arjunajane got me interested. I do not post often because I find it hard to keep my posts purely educational and not opinionated. It is great to see clients that care as much about the small details as we do though.
Good luck to you both.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

Yssie, this is how I see it in contrast to some elements of what DBL posted. I see using CAD in this case purely as a design tool to flush out the design elements for visualization. Afterall, CAD does stand for computer aided design!! Obviously, hand sketching could potentially accomplish this but a 3D computer model makes it so much more real for me. It also has an element of precision that can't be accomplished through hand sketches unless we are measuring and doing some crazy drawing.

Will a hand made piece look exactly like the CAD drawing? Perhaps not and that is dependent on the skill of the bench. I sure hope that any bench I select will be skilled enough to execute upon a CAD drawing recognizing that there are elements that may need to be changed. If a CAD expert also has expertise in jewelry making, using a CAD drawing can be very beneficial for both the jewelery maker and the customer. On the flip side, a poor bench won't be able to execute a vision be it a CAD or a hand drawn picture. A skiilled and well aligned (in terms of style) bench is a pre-req regardless of what medium is used to flush out design elements.

I will use Leif Benner (http://www.leifbenner.com/) as a case study. I have not worked with him at all because my style is much more delicate than what he does. However, my friend did use him and I felt his working methods to be exceptional. He first made hand drawn sketches for my friend during a brain storming session. He then made a CAD drawing which I reviewed with my friend. We made 4 rounds of revisions to the CAD in which each revision was turned around within a day. Once the CAD was approved, he proceeded to hand make the setting (he may have also used a hand carved wax). The setting looked exactly like the CAD. I found the process extremly helpful and without the CAD drawings ... the design wouldn't be as perfect as it is. I was only able to continously provide recommendations and tweaks after I saw the changes in CAD.

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Yssie,

Sorry to threadjack but now that you have had your VC engraved band for a while I was wondering if you are completely happy with it or is there anything about it now looking back that you would change? Any advice before I start my project would be greatly appreciated ! :)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yssie - I'm glad you like it! I could identify with some of your "must haves" and thought you might find it interesting to compare. I too love the way the inner trellis moves down under the shank - it gives a lovely complete look to the ring I think. I was REALLY worried by the thin wires holding the side diamonds but honestly I don't even notice them and the price is such a small one to pay for peace of mind! The surprise diamond was very important to me also as it comes from a ring owned by my late Mother - so it has lots of sentimental value!

David - you do make me smile!!! The guys who made my ring are my "family" jewellers (present company accepted) and they move mountains to make sure we end up with a fantastic result. Interestingly I've worked with them on hand drawings to final piece, CADs to CAD produced rings and then CADs to hand-made rings and a host of other variations. Interestingly, I've found having CADs incredibly helpful especially when adding/deleting intracacies especially to the pieces that I've taken an inspiration from somewhere else and then converted to my own piece. With the hand-drawn designs, although fantastic, it's far less easy to be accurate to the end product. Not always but it has slightly more margin for error/misunderstanding. However, I've never been unhappy with anything you've made for me and have trusted you completely during the process so I believe Yssie is in safe hands!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh, the Mike R of AJ's OEC ring - that one was a stunner!

Charmy - that's really too bad, because it's an important point. I remember Laila saying the same in my original reset thread... I fell in love with VC's pave, but that doesn't say anything about his wirework, and my assumption was simply that his plain solitare settings were sufficiently similar. Point taken to heart - I paid special attention to the examples of flowy wirework at DBL!

Leif's method sounds very thorough - and equally importantly, it sounds very valuable in making sure everyone's on the same page in terms of aesthetic. The same can be achieved without the CAD, using other media, but if you have the knowledge it's an easy way to get the big picture and some of the details ironed out, though it obviously can't address minutiae specific to one method of manufacture or another.

A CAD, or sketches with some of those details would've been invaluable when working with VC because he does prefer to keep his manufacturing process private. I'm comfortable without them in this new endeavour because we have do have a solid model to start from, and because I'm involved in the process - there's no secrecy, and no executive decisions being finalised without me...

Hospatogi - Nope! I am completely, totally happy with the band - not a single thing to find fault with. Well - if I could I'd change the metal colour so it matches the pd-wg of my new ring!

Congrats on deciding - I think you'll love it!

LD - thank you for sharing it, it's beautiful, and very interesting! That's a sweet way to incorporate your mum's stone ::)

And I'm super happy to read your review! :bigsmile:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

This really is a great thread!
From my perspective, it really does highlight the fact that there is no one "standard"...
That is to say- Cad is not "worse" than handforged as a rule.

As LD proved, cad to ring transformation can be spectacular.
The aspect of the wire's finish is one LD prefers- I agree that the result is beautiful.

For Yssie's job, I'm expecting very smooth wire work.
That is one aspect of hand forged which is truly difficult to capture with a cad- another is the shaped prongs. the next one that comes to mind is the cut down" style of setting. Many Cad designs place beadwork prongs on the metal, as opposed to a cut down micro pave style
Other rings done with a CAD leave spaces for the setter to drill and set stones by hand. There's truly an infinite variety of mixing of methods possible, given each job, and the desired results

Charmy- that site has some great looking rings!
They really exemplify the types of designs which are perfect for a cad. Chunky prongs- double rows of diamonds set into a channel. Thick shanks.
There are probably as many elements in chunky designs that are the opposite of the elements I mentioned above- things you find on hand forged, but not on CAD

Personally, I truly prefer working with live pieces of jewelry as models- short of that, photos. Even if the factory is using a cad.
We're lucky to have a gifted artist, who also happens to be am incredibly gifted setter, jeweler and polisher.
hand-forged-sketch.jpg
The ring that came as a result of that sketch underwent a lot of changes as we went along.
If we ever decided to make another, we'd know how to do it.
Point is, a blank sheet design may very likely need to be evaluated- and changed- on the fly.

I'm thrilled we have a model to work with on this one- no question it gave us a leg up about considerations such as the lack of a seat for the center stone.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

Sorry to thread jack but Mike .. your work is so unique!! I am amazed going through your site and facebook.

Mike R

Shiny_Rock

CharmyPoo|1323736724|3080112 said:
Sorry to thread jack but Mike .. your work is so unique!! I am amazed going through your site and facebook.

Thank you very much Charmy, I really appreciate your comment. Thanks also Yssie.

Great drawing David, if your interested this is a link to video's of how I design my pieces, the top two videos are of first designing and then making a ring. http://www.rdgnz.com/Video.html
I have only been painting my designs for the last few years so I still have much to learn (I have been making jewellery for 17 years)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LD|1323723432|3079986 said:
Yssie - I'm a complete and utter control freak so HAVE to be part of the design process which is why I choose who to work with carefully! Having a project out of my hands feels a little bit too much like freefalling!!! You'll be pleased to know that although David didn't make this ring for me, I've worked with him before and found the process very reassuring. He works hard at getting it right for the customer.

I'm posting photos below of the ring I was referring to - please be aware however that I don't mind rings to look "rustic" and handfinished. I am totally aware that this would drive most PSers bonkers but for me it's ok! I'll also post the CADs so you can see the version without the struts on the side diamonds.

Not to threadjack but I would love to see a picture of this ring face on - how refreshing to see a trellis done in two different metals! Everytime I've ever inquired I've been told no can't do. Who made this gorgeous ring? Would LOVE to see more pictures!

why2not

Rough_Rock

Rockdiamond|1323722918|3079977 said:
As I mentioned- I'm a bit off put by looking at cad drawings- only because the results are by no means assured as a general rule.

I don't understand this statement. In my world, we actually take the 3-d CAD model, send it to the mold maker, they run it through a fancy little program to "upsize" to account for molten metal contraction, and use the results to CNC machine out the mold, often without anyone touching anything other than a keyboard until final mold polish. Point being the part ends up exactly like the CAD... the only reason to have drawings is to give the quality people something to inspect to.

I gather ring making might use a different process, but I'm really not understanding how the parts can look so different than the CAD unless there is still a significant amount of hand fab that goes on after a rough cast is made.

To bring back to Yssie's ring: I kind of see an ideal process (for her specifically) being a 3d model being made, that model can then be shared (ie: send a file of the ring rotating in all directions with light sources coming from couple of different angles), changes made often in day or less, revised model shared, etc until everyone agrees. Then take that model and dimension it and put it on paper for the ring maker.

Obviously this process would only work if the CAD jockey totally understood the capabilities and limitations of hand forging (or the "smith" were sitting in on the CAD modeling process). And there is still a good chance that going from the paper to (hand made) part, things will vary by more than a few thousandths of an inch, but the advantage is that the bench can end up with highly detailed and dimensioned parts for each aspect of making the ring. Something I doubt they will get from an (beautiful) hand sketch. It takes some of the artistry away from the bench (and puts in the hands of the customer and CAD jockey (if he isn't the smith)) and I don't think that the business model would work in general... but I think that this customer is an exception to the rule and a process like this would have served her well.

Hera

Ideal_Rock

CharmyPoo|1323727192|3080029 said:
Yssie, this is how I see it in contrast to some elements of what DBL posted. I see using CAD in this case purely as a design tool to flush out the design elements for visualization. Afterall, CAD does stand for computer aided design!! Obviously, hand sketching could potentially accomplish this but a 3D computer model makes it so much more real for me. It also has an element of precision that can't be accomplished through hand sketches unless we are measuring and doing some crazy drawing.

Will a hand made piece look exactly like the CAD drawing? Perhaps not and that is dependent on the skill of the bench. I sure hope that any bench I select will be skilled enough to execute upon a CAD drawing recognizing that there are elements that may need to be changed. If a CAD expert also has expertise in jewelry making, using a CAD drawing can be very beneficial for both the jewelery maker and the customer. On the flip side, a poor bench won't be able to execute a vision be it a CAD or a hand drawn picture. A skiilled and well aligned (in terms of style) bench is a pre-req regardless of what medium is used to flush out design elements.

I will use Leif Benner (http://www.leifbenner.com/) as a case study. I have not worked with him at all because my style is much more delicate than what he does. However, my friend did use him and I felt his working methods to be exceptional. He first made hand drawn sketches for my friend during a brain storming session. He then made a CAD drawing which I reviewed with my friend. We made 4 rounds of revisions to the CAD in which each revision was turned around within a day. Once the CAD was approved, he proceeded to hand make the setting (he may have also used a hand carved wax). The setting looked exactly like the CAD. I found the process extremly helpful and without the CAD drawings ... the design wouldn't be as perfect as it is. I was only able to continously provide recommendations and tweaks after I saw the changes in CAD.

Ditto, CAD would be a great idea purely used as a design tool to get all of the elements just as you want them. It could be a real collaboration between the person doing the hand forging and the cad designer. I think it would be beneficial if only to show the bench what design elements you were looking for and for you to fully see all of the elements so you don't realize after ring #2 that there was still more tweaking to do. (I'm not sure that would happen, though, because you sound like you know exactly what you want.)
I think at this point I would be concerned about DBL's reluctance to want to utilize this type of technology and that might be something you really should consider moving forward.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

heraanderson|1323755663|3080319 said:
CharmyPoo|1323727192|3080029 said:

Ditto, CAD would be a great idea purely used as a design tool to get all of the elements just as you want them. It could be a real collaboration between the person doing the hand forging and the cad designer. I think it would be beneficial if only to show the bench what design elements you were looking for and for you to fully see all of the elements so you don't realize after ring #2 that there was still more tweaking to do. (I'm not sure that would happen, though, because you sound like you know exactly what you want.)
I think at this point I would be concerned about DBL's reluctance to want to utilize this type of technology and that might be something you really should consider moving forward.

I love CAD. Even if the piece is being handforged, I think getting details hammered out is key. And for the record, I've done two CAD projects and BOTH my CADs looked like my finished pieces enough for me to be certain that moving forward would result in a product I love and that would meet my expectations.

Totally agree with both these ladies.

MizNina

Shiny_Rock

Mike R|1323738932|3080150 said:
CharmyPoo|1323736724|3080112 said:

Thank you very much Charmy, I really appreciate your comment. Thanks also Yssie.

Great drawing David, if your interested this is a link to video's of how I design my pieces, the top two videos are of first designing and then making a ring. http://www.rdgnz.com/Video.html
I have only been painting my designs for the last few years so I still have much to learn (I have been making jewellery for 17 years)

Hi Yssie I think your new ring will be every bit as beautiful as you hope and I can't wait to see it :))

Mike I LOVE LOVE LOVE your work and am in Australia, but hope to have you make something for me in the future!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mike Thanks for linking us to those videos - I watched three last night, very interesting! Your work really is so unique and inspired - I especially like that frog pendant!

LD - I'd love to see more pics too! That really is a showstopper of a design :love:

Thanks also, Why2, Hera, Gypsy, and re. the CAD discussion - I want to try and clarify my position. I'm obviously not RD or Mike so I can't speak for them, and I'm in software development so I really don't get the whole anti-techy thing 8) but there are two separate debates here:

1. From CAD to CAM:

I'll post a couple of pics in a minute that really highlight the differences between CAD on monitor and final result - I suspect this may be an extreme example because of the specific style, but since I am keeping the same trellis style I assume the overall inconsistencies would stand.

To be clear: I *asked for* the openness of the result, not the more confined look of the CAD. So WF had to alter the CAD to ensure that the end-result looked like what I'd wanted... if they'd made the CAD as open as I'd have liked the result would've been - odd. To say the least! WF did a fantastic job of making what I asked for happen.

So... CAD to CAM = good for overall design, big picture, some details. Not always accurate for nuances. And irrelevant for my new ring anyway :cheeky:

2. CAD as a tool in handforging:

I LOVE the idea of being able to see a detail of what the big-picture would look like before diving in. First time around with VC, starting from the stick-figure outline I had on paper, this would've been invaluable. I made a lot of mistakes that first time - not insisting on some proof (sketch, CAD, *something*) to show that VC fully understood my vision, and that the proposed execution was to my taste, was probably the biggest. Especially since he keeps his manufacturing process private.

Second time around, with DBL, we're starting several rungs up the ladder. Don't get me wrong - I'd love a CAD, and I think this is definitely something all hand-forging vendors - Leon, SK, VC, DBL included - should seriously consider for their more picky customers. But, I'm not about to take a frying pan to David's head for not jumping on board right this minute with MY project, for several reasons:

1. What I'm seeing in those process photos reassures me that the bench does understand what I mean by fluid, wavy, curvy. And what I heard from discussion reassures me that the bench understands my specific concerns, gripes, and qualms, as they noted several of the same without my input. And what I saw in-person reassures me that the bench is capable of fluid, wavy, curvy, well-integrated with this style, and so they just need to apply those capabilities to my ring and I'll get my happy ending!

2. I think a lot of people are overlooking this, and it's really important: we're dealing with *people*. I'm the customer, he's the vendor. He's worked with this bench for a long time and he knows how to get the best result possible from them. The bench surely has their own processes, their own special ways of doing things, their own routines, that I've *seen* produces good work... and - how do I put this delicately - have you ever tried to make someone - or worse, a group of people - do things a different way? The first time never goes as planned, and even small changes can wreak havoc.

I'm sure everyone reading this thread will understand when I say that I am NOT interested in MY ring being the guinea pig for a new design process, a new manufacturing process, a new way of ANYTHING. I've spent enough and been through enough headache with this thing. If the bench usually works in sub-zero temperatures with Whitesnake blaring - and if the specific people working on my ring have an especial distaste for CAD, or the CAD bench, or that the CAD designer... I just want to go with the flow and get it done and then they're welcome to try out those new everythings on another project that has nothing to do with this one!

3. Ultimately, I need to be in control of this process. DBL is being very accommodating of this - they're sending me in-the-making photos showing progress and direction, they're communicating, they're being open about what needs to be done, what can't, and why, and they've reassured me (multiple times actually because I keep freaking out) that -

A) I have final veto rights at every step,
B) Nothing moves forward irreversibly without my okay,
C) If I don't like something we'll go back, re-orient, re-design, and fix it,
D) At the end of the day, I am not going to wind up stuck with a ring that I don't love.

As far as assurances go - well, that's as good as it gets!

Nina Thank you!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Okay, it's not a good pic but it's the only one I could find on short notice - ignore the multi-coloured-ness

RING.png

Attachments

• CAD.bmp
    1,021.3 KB · Views: 1,271

Mike R

Shiny_Rock

MizNina|1323772047|3080372 said:
Mike I LOVE LOVE LOVE your work and am in Australia, but hope to have you make something for me in the future!

Thanks MizNina for the kind words, its always nice to hear that someone shares our passion for jewellery.

I'm glad you enjoyed the videos Yssie, I really enjoy making them. Sorry for slightly sending your thread off topic though.
Looks like you have things well under control now, congratulations on such a beatiful and fun project!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Yssie- cool photos of Cad- ring.
Is your point that the Cad looks just like the ring, or that it does not?

One aspect I've noticed is problematic on CAD manufactured rings is inside curves- specifically, how the finish is on an inside curve of a wire- or a "V" shape at in a cathedral shank.
LD's wires look textured- which is lovely, but if one wanted them perfectly smooth, I do believe that's a weak point of CAD.
When one bends a shiny wire, it will stay shiny ( I'm over simplifying this)- but it's not possible to polish certain areas on wire details if they are cast.

Regarding the Cad for design debate....this goes along with almost every other aspect of this incredibly "boutique" industry. Each manufacturer does this differently.
If a consumer wants to work designing a CAD, there's sellers who will make that available.
Although I don't think it's productive on a hand-forged piece, clearly others do- and there are other vendors who will meet that demand

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mike - no worries, please keep posting!

RD - different, surprisingly so... not a good thing or a bad thing - just something to be aware of (if you care that much), and (if you care that much) necessary to find a CAD designer who will understand how to tweak the CAD to achieve a specific machined output...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

this thread is making me wish there was an open bidding process on projects lol You know, knowing how much a person wants to make the ring is really nice.

I suppose shopping around for quotes and enthusiasm... lol

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Cehrabehra|1323832458|3081158 said:
this thread is making me wish there was an open bidding process on projects lol You know, knowing how much a person wants to make the ring is really nice.

Etsy :praise:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yssie|1323832998|3081169 said:
Cehrabehra|1323832458|3081158 said:

Etsy :praise:

Love etsy :)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

I haven't looked at etsy lately but in the past I've never seen anything quite exquisite enough to turn my diamond over... I did have a ring made on etsy for an aquamarine with mixed results. I want to see what I'm getting before I sign off on it and I really want it to be the stones final setting, at least in my lifetime. I wanted that last time but this time I am not going to compromise and I'm nervous as heck. White flash did a fantastic execution on my band, I'm a little nervous about the drawn out process though for the reset.

I'm impressed with the way dbl is handling every detail for you. Gonna keep that in mind! Can't wait to see the result.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

saw the video posted on FB! It's looking fab!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

A (very) belated **update**!! I meant to post Saturday but the ILs came to visit and we were booked ::)

I got this video of the WIP late last week. The trellis has been attached to the shank, and I am *happy* with it! It was one of my primary concerns so... :bigsmile:

http://www.youtube.com/user/diamondsbylauren?feature=mhum#p/u/4/UF7OknUCslQ

The intro says it's in plat - it's not, it's in white gold (which I will of course be leaving unplated!). They added a little doughnut to the bottom of the trellis structure for stability, and the shank is shaped like my old WF threestone - with the same depth, roundedness, and taper up the shoulders. It hasn't been polished yet.

I had one of my mammoth posts typed up... I think I'll skip it, though, the video says enough :sun: It's off to have the stones set, and I'm getting antsy!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you Asscherhalo!! I'm SO excited - and I'm in diamond withdrawal! I wish I had some clear still photos of it as it is now (or was last week, I guess) - I keep trying to pause the video at *just* the right spot and missing 8)

Cehra I agree, I just don't think Etsy is the right venue for high-end jobs (despite some truly mind-boggling prices...) and an Ering reset like you're describing is definitely just that!

Honestly... I'm exhausted. When I got David's video I think the first thing I felt was *relief* - definitely excited, and happy, but SO relieved that everything looked fine. There will be more conversations before it's shipped out but it should be maintenance at this point - I don't expect any more *big* hurdles.

Re. working with DBL - of course I can't say anything definitively until we're all finished and I've seen the ring, but as it stands when I first approached them I was an already particular customer who now needed to have a piece re-done because it didn't meet expectations. I'm not the easiest of people to work with at my most laid-back, and given the circumstances I may as well be part hedgehog... it was already a difficult project in terms of design, and keeping *me* happy just made it all the more so, and I'm definitely impressed by the way they've just kinda taken it on-board, adjusted the way they do things to my comfort, and stayed so enthusiastic and reassuring about everything ::)

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

Are you looking for feedback on the video at all?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Only on *this* DBL design specifically - ETA: not the VC. Do you have something in mind Charmy?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

I am not an expert in this type of design for sure but this is what I am seeing. I am not sure how to fix it per say. Wondering if the joint can be smoothed out so it doesn't look like the wire is connecting to the shank.

YssieRing2.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results