shape
carat
color
clarity

A different sort of shooting...

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So FI got his bonus from work last month. Most went to bills and stuff that HAD to be done but we agreed to buy one new rifle (under $1,000) with part of it.

Well.... the day I was going to put the order in for the rifle we got an e-mail on the gun club list from this guy selling part of his collection. He had TWO of the rifles we had been trying to choose between for a GREAT price and a 3rd that was wonderful looking too (plus about 70 others we avoided looking at) so I called and negotiated with him and.....
we bought all THREE rifles (plus shipping!) for less than the one rifle would have cost (even with the additional transfer fees!).

Our new rifles are:

VZ-24 (with original crest still clear and nice -- plus amazing wood)
Mosin Nagant sniper (with original sniper markings and bent bolt)
Finnish Mosin Nagant (even longer than the other MN we have and beautifully built)

The MN sniper is at the gunsmith right now getting a new (but historically authentic) scope rail.
The VZ needs to go in to have the head space checked and get a scope rail too.

This thread needs pictures.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Monarch - I didn't see your post before but wanted to respond a bit. I don't have a problem sharing details about practicing, or when I shoot, how I shoot, what I use. I don't plan to give out enough information for someone to find my home and take the guns I own though. Also, many gun owners keep pretty secure safes for their guns. I plan on getting my own here soon, hopefully a fair sized one.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64 said:
Gosh. I'm shaking my head over how much you all are willing to reveal about your marksmanship skills as well as the firearms in your homes. Really???

I don't give this sort of thing away, myself, whether it's in the pseudo-safety of an online forum or amongst friends in real life. No one will ever know anything involving my marksmanship skills, lack thereof, or weapons. My apologies if this seems condescending, I'm sure it does, but really? Y'all seem to be revealing some of your vulnerable bits? Maybe I'm wrong--please feel free to correct me.

I CCW and am not ashamed to admit it. *shrugs* I don't have a problem telling someone what my skill level is (as of this time, I'm a Marksman by IDPA standards) folks would have to go through a whole hell of a lot to find out who i am and exactly where I live. and if they do, trust and believe they do not want to mess with someone like me.

Thats not being cocky, thats being realistic.

-A

Steel

Ideal_Rock
In general I feel that PS'ers reveal too much; which is why I tend to be 'cloudy' about my specifics.

That said, we have decided to get a gun next year. We will have livestock by that point so it is a step that needs to be taken sooner rather than later. I'm really leaving it up to DH - he has formal gun training from a previous job so knows all about this and that - it goes straight over my pretty little head. ;)) Suffice to say it is some sort of rifle. I going to get some training so I can use it too. I think we just need to have a trigger lock but we are going to get the gun locker as a precaution. So, I'm reading this thread with interest.

DF - I marvel at threads you post on. You seem to have a bit of knowledge on so many topics; good for you. You had pigs right? I must chat to you about that sometime.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
dragonfly411 said:
Monarch - I didn't see your post before but wanted to respond a bit. I don't have a problem sharing details about practicing, or when I shoot, how I shoot, what I use. I don't plan to give out enough information for someone to find my home and take the guns I own though. Also, many gun owners keep pretty secure safes for their guns. I plan on getting my own here soon, hopefully a fair sized one.
get one 3x as big as you think you need.
You will fill it

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Steal - Are you referring to me on pigs? I had one wild that we raised and one blue butt (which is a newer strain derived from a cross of Yorkshire and Hampshire). If you want to know more about them I'd love to chat about them with you! Once I get to where I have room again, I'd like to raise more, they are really fun, and our blue butt ended up being butchered and the meat is much leaner and healthier than store bought. I actually won't eat store bought pork based meat now b/c of the difference.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Karl_K said:
dragonfly411 said:
get one 3x as big as you think you need.
You will fill it

Karl - Yeah no kidding! Right now I'm hunting for a nice quality .22 for small game shooting (mostly squirrels and possibly coyotes), a hand gun (for when I finish my concealed permit training) and a large game rifle...... which takes us back to the high ticket vice thread.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Grrrr...... computer ate my post. (All I did was hit the backspace key)

I'm shipping my CZ2075 RAMI back to CZ for the last time today ;(
It has been in for warranty service twice since I bought it (new) and is still having problems feeding (this time after warranty service it had 20/70 mis-feeds and then the slide got stuck open when the safety fell out :-o ). I'm sad because the RAMI is a cute little gun about the size of my hand, supposed to be accurate out to 50+ yards, and is comfortable to shoot (for a compact 40s&w...).

I've tried about 6 different brands of ammo and new magazines but it just isn't working right. (they've gotten off burrs, fixed the feed ramp, and more in warranty service). I've never carried it (or even considered it an option for home defense) because it is not reliable.

Today when I called, the gunsmith was getting ready to give me an RMA to send it in for more and I let him know that I don't think I can ever carry this one because I can't be 100% sure that it will work reliably 100% of the time.

So......

They're going to take my RAMI and ship me a CZ75 P-O1!
(yeah..... I'm switching my carry over to 9mm :oops: )

I can't wait to get it and take it out to the range!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results