shape
carat
color
clarity

A color for this setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have this sim ring and am thinking of having the stone removed and putting a colored stone in it. It''s 2 tone w/fishtail prongs.

It''s not something I''m planning on doing right this very second, b/c I want to get my ering and 3 stone done first. Just thought while I''m waiting for Dana to find the white/raspberry for my 3 stone I''d ponder this one!

Are there certain colors that look better in 2 tone than others?

100_02831.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

100_02811.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

100_02821.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think for some its a matter of taste. I like the setting quite a lot. A really pinkish rhodolite would look good, maybe a bluish/green toumaline. I also think that amethyst can look good in two toned rings. Thats just off the top of my head.

-A

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a beautiful setting. I see something purple, pink, maybe the right shade of blue, green, yellow...heck, any colour will fit!
1.gif
That's the nice thing about a 2 toned setting; it's really versatile.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the replies Arcadian and Chrono!

I just realized you can see the ink I tried to wipe off from when I was drawing on my fingers again this morning. And my skin looks like elephant skin. Nice.

Hm..would a lighter color look washed out, or since it''s prongs, should I look for something more medium?

Hahaha Trapper''s on my lap and he''s waving at this
35.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should be able to get away with anything from medium light to medium dark. The sides of the setting is quite open, which is going to give you that flexibility.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Could be fun to have a lot of options methinks! I''ll have to do some vendor browsing!

Maybe a blue like a hydrangea blue. Or..leafy green or a yellow..Will be fun to look around for a while and try to narrow it down anyway!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Lighter tones of gems often tend to get overpowered IMO, except maybe in the case of yellow stones, since you have some yellow there to accentuate it. But otherwise, I prefer darker stones in two tone settings, and especially those that don''t have much depth of color (like most iolites, pyropes, many indicolites, london blue topazes, blue spinels...), cause a bicolor setting can really do a lot for them - and they don''t cost too much. Maybe it would even be fun to consider stuff like color change garnets. While they''re often very dark and not very interesting for most projects (at least the not too expensive ones), they can really give you something unique in this type of setting. If you''d like something more elegant and/or formal, maybe you should consider champagne diamonds (they look great in two tone settings IMO).

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the help Ma Re!

I was thinking last night..this stone is 7.5mm, so does that mean I will need another 7.5mm stone exactly, or is there room to fudge a little bit? Last night in my perusing I found a 7.4mm stone that I thought might look kinda cool, and wasn''t expensive, but then I wondered if that weensy bit of mm would make a difference or not. It''s kind of a color shifty stone. And, I thought there might be a window in it so I didn''t get it, just in case.

Would it be easier to choose a color and have someone cut something?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I don''t see a reason why one tenth of a milimeter would make an issue, some folks here got away with even larger differences. I also don''t think you should jump on the custom cutting wagon that easily, cause 7.5-ish round (or maybe even cushion - assuming it can be set) stone shouldn''t be that dificult to find. I may be wrong as I''m not very experienced with these issues, but it''s just my ,02.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I think a deep, rich color would look fabulous with that setting. Think "jewel" tones as the wedding industry refers to them...deep blues, purples, greens, etc. I would be afraid that a lighter colored stone would just get washed out in that particular ring.

When I was looking at settings and stuff I think a couple people mentioned 0.2mm as the amount of wiggle room that a prong setting usually provided. Was this setting designed for the stone, or did you get this stone to fit in a setting that was 7.4 or 7.6 or? Know what I mean?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I figured that little bit would be ok-I swore I''d seen questions about it on here before and there was some wiggle room, but I thought if I didn''t make sure it might bite me in the behind ha!

The ring I got from one of the places that can''t be talked about. It was from a board member on that forum, who''d gotten it from another board member. She bought the setting from ebay and sent it to someone to rework the prongs and put the sim in it, so I don''t know a whole lot about it.

The stone I was looking at is on that selling site too..I know I can''t link to it, but is a picture allowed or no?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a picture is allowed but links are not. After all, how are the other posters to help review/critique without any pictures?
25.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is the pic that made me check it out

4108140.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
window

2455988.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
again. not sure if it would close up in that setting or not. and maybe this stone isn''t the one I''m looking for, but still nice to get opinions!

1263823.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Can''t say it would look bad (that''s a tourm, right?), but I think some other colors might look a bit better. It''s all up to you!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Ma Re. Yep, it''s a tourmaline. I''ll just keep thinking and browsing..never know what I might find. I do kind of like the idea of a bi colored stone tho. I''ve seen a lot of pretty tourmalines like that. Not many rounds tho.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone does have an unusual colour but that is one mighty huge table and window. I think it will still be prominent after setting it.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, yay for me that I''ve actually learned something from my time here at least right! haha! Dangit tho, about the window..the color was so unusual. Still, there''s bound to be another come up at some point that has a cool color like that. I saw some pink tourmalines in my search today, that had little hints of being bi colored but they were either wrong size, shape, way too expensive etc.

And I saw a couple pretty garnets too, but they were on sold pages. What about a reddish garnet-not one of those super dark ones. Or would tourmaline be my best bet if I want to stay under $100?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Garnets (rhodolites) are a good idea as they''re often cut as rounds and are not too expensive. Zircons fall in the same category so are a good idea too (assuming you don''t mind being a bit more careful with this ring and not wearing it 24/7).

Of the light colors, mali garnets are often round and not too expensive.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gene has some pretty zircons and a sunset tourmaline, but none are the right size/shape. I don''t wear any of my jewelry every day, so I''d prolly be safe.

I''ve seen some amethysts I like too..might take me a while to decide what color I''m looking for, at this rate! haha!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Amethysts are mostly cut into larger stones (and rarely are they cut into rounds) but if you request one to have custom cut, it''s an option - but it''ll probably break the budget.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ahhh well, I''ll quickly rule amethyst out then! Save me some time looking haha.

Harder than I thought to pick a color-I like so many of them. Haven''t seen too many in the size I''m looking for tho, so I guess it''s ok if I''m still looking for a color!

I emailed Sally about another ring too..so now I have *another* dang stone to look for gahhhh!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Packrat,
How large is your budget? I had a pair of custom cut Uruguay amethysts cut into 7 mm rounds for earrings and they cost less than I expected. I think Cind11 had a pair of custom cut amethysts cut by Gary Braun too very recently. I don’t think they were terribly expensive for custom cutting.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would need to stay under $100 for this. Doesn''t leave me a whole lot of room, I know!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you can get one at around $100 if you want a custom cut round amethyst with the blue/red flash because matched pairs always cost more than single stones, even if you divide the price of the matched pair by 2.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh cool! I might have to look into that then.

I know I want something chunky-the sim that''s in there is an OEC and ohhhh would I LOVE to be able to afford a real one. So chunkiness is something I''d really like to have.

I looked for champagne colored gemstones but haven''t found a whole lot, thinking that might also be pretty in the 2 tone.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2009 2:42:29 PM
Author: packrat

I looked for champagne colored gemstones but haven''t found a whole lot, thinking that might also be pretty in the 2 tone.
Hessonite, yellow topaz and grossular can all come in champange-ish shades (of course, citrines and zircons go without saying).

A tip on choosing a color - maybe you should check which colors you have less than you''d like to, in your jewellery box.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results