color
clarity

a bit sad , did test, cherry amber is probably bakealite

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i just need a sad vent
maybe if i write it down i'll start to feel better about it
so...... i have been procrastinating
but ive only been having real doubts the last year maybe when realizing how rare qenuine fascated amber actually is
but
im kinda distraught :(2

So i mixed up a ton of salt in some warm water, and as a test i had some yellow amber and i dropped a yellow bead in and it popped straight to the top of the glass

the beads in question were sold to a very green me as cherry amber and she said a test had been done (the hot needle one) by the person she brought them off

1698012115032.jpeg
this is an old photo, the earrings and bracelet were always too ugly to photograph

it had been maybe an opera necklace my seller had had them butchered into two sets,
im thinking what i paid was probably the labour cost to do that,
they did look beautiful in the trade me pictures,
so i was mildly dissapointed in person
but i always intended to remake a longer necklace

the bracelet had the ugliest findings, the earrings were the ugliest earrings ive ever seen, but i loved the actual beads
i loved them !
they were the most expensive things i had ever brought on trade me (NZ Ebay), like a week's wages,

and i was nervous but they arrived all ok, i was never going to wear it till the ugliness was remedied, i must say the bracelet would have been nice if the finding/ spacers were better quality, although it seemed to me to be a bad idea to have a bracelet made of amber because im a clutz

but i just had such dreams and high hopes for this necklace:cry:

i still love the beads, i mean i have long had a fascination with bakealite, but i was happy to not have this fascination in my jewlery box

im just realeaved i never went out and brought 10k 0r 14kor God forbid 18k gold findings for them like i intended

i know that every time i make a mistake like this im learning and one day when i go to buy loose stones i'll be the wiser for it
but i just feel really bummed out

it's way too late in the game to go back to trade me as it was 6 more like 7 years ago,
im thinking the seller was genuine in her beleaf it was cherry amber

just googerling and for bakealite i definatly over paid

this was always going to be one of my signiture pieces
now i'll have to always refer to it as cherry amber bakealite

1698012871099.jpeg
i dont have the energy to heat up a needle, i dont want to ruin a bead, but shurley hot plastic smells different to pine

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry they didn't turn out like you wanted. I see some super pricey bakelite amber beads and necklaces on Etsy. It may still have value. Bakelite is vintage and can be very collectable.

empliau

Shiny_Rock
What can I tell you? I love Bakelite, but it stings when you've overpaid *cough rug in Turkey cough*. However, when you love it there's more than the value. There's the pleasure it brings you, which can be a daily joy. There's also the education value, that can help you assess and save you from overpaying, at least quite so much, in future.

My younger self made some good buys and some not-so-good buys. But they bring her back vividly to me (I miss her and her working knee!) so just smile and enjoy them for their beauty. The beads look great in your picture.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
mine look just like this
they are beautiful

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
What can I tell you? I love Bakelite, but it stings when you've overpaid *cough rug in Turkey cough*. However, when you love it there's more than the value. There's the pleasure it brings you, which can be a daily joy. There's also the education value, that can help you assess and save you from overpaying, at least quite so much, in future.

My younger self made some good buys and some not-so-good buys. But they bring her back vividly to me (I miss her and her working knee!) so just smile and enjoy them for their beauty. The beads look great in your picture.
thank you empliau
but
oh no, you have a knee like mine

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry they didn't turn out like you wanted. I see some super pricey bakelite amber beads and necklaces on Etsy. It may still have value. Bakelite is vintage and can be very collectable.

thank you
yes, they look just like mine
i just need to get them strung up and love them again

empliau

Shiny_Rock
thank you empliau
but
oh no, you have a knee like mine

One of my favorite plays in my youth was The Lady's not for Burning. In it, the hero describes the human body in harsh terms, but one that has stuck with me is "balanced on folding bones." These folding bones that try to keep us upright are, sadly, not really built to last!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry this has happened to you, it really stinks to say the least.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Boo, yeah that's a bummer, I'm sorry. I think everyone has made a bum buy now and again, it can't be helped, ya know? It always stings. They're still beautiful.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i should have done a test as soon as it arrived

Or people could know what they are selling, that is where the responsibility is, not with you. Don’t let it get to you too much, we have all bought something that turned out to be something other than described.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i must be over it already
im looking at esty and trade me for more bakelite beads so i can make it a rope again
but im going to be a lot more savy regarding what i pay this time around

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
i just need a sad vent
maybe if i write it down i'll start to feel better about it
so...... i have been procrastinating
but ive only been having real doubts the last year maybe when realizing how rare qenuine fascated amber actually is
but
im kinda distraught :(2

So i mixed up a ton of salt in some warm water, and as a test i had some yellow amber and i dropped a yellow bead in and it popped straight to the top of the glass

the beads in question were sold to a very green me as cherry amber and she said a test had been done (the hot needle one) by the person she brought them off

1698012115032.jpeg
this is an old photo, the earrings and bracelet were always too ugly to photograph

it had been maybe an opera necklace my seller had had them butchered into two sets,
im thinking what i paid was probably the labour cost to do that,
they did look beautiful in the trade me pictures,
so i was mildly dissapointed in person
but i always intended to remake a longer necklace

the bracelet had the ugliest findings, the earrings were the ugliest earrings ive ever seen, but i loved the actual beads
i loved them !
they were the most expensive things i had ever brought on trade me (NZ Ebay), like a week's wages,

and i was nervous but they arrived all ok, i was never going to wear it till the ugliness was remedied, i must say the bracelet would have been nice if the finding/ spacers were better quality, although it seemed to me to be a bad idea to have a bracelet made of amber because im a clutz

but i just had such dreams and high hopes for this necklace:cry:

i still love the beads, i mean i have long had a fascination with bakealite, but i was happy to not have this fascination in my jewlery box

im just realeaved i never went out and brought 10k 0r 14kor God forbid 18k gold findings for them like i intended

i know that every time i make a mistake like this im learning and one day when i go to buy loose stones i'll be the wiser for it
but i just feel really bummed out

it's way too late in the game to go back to trade me as it was 6 more like 7 years ago,
im thinking the seller was genuine in her beleaf it was cherry amber

just googerling and for bakealite i definatly over paid

this was always going to be one of my signiture pieces
now i'll have to always refer to it as cherry amber bakealite

1698012871099.jpeg
i dont have the energy to heat up a needle, i dont want to ruin a bead, but shurley hot plastic smells different to pine

What about trying the hot needle test on an "ugly" piece first? Then, if you get a pine smell, move to one of the small beads that would string up in the back of the necklace, next to the hole so it wouldn't be noticeable once strung?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about trying the hot needle test on an "ugly" piece first? Then, if you get a pine smell, move to one of the small beads that would string up in the back of the necklace, next to the hole so it wouldn't be noticeable once strung?

i would try that if there was a slim chance it was still amber but i think that boat has now sailed
actually they are all nice pieces, i think the origonal necklace must not have been worn much
and now ive done more internet sluthing i have seen my beads all over the place usulaly alwyas described as bakelite

when i compaired the cherry to my yellow amber the yellow popped straight up to the top of the jug of salt water
the cherry sunk like a stone

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
i would try that if there was a slim chance it was still amber but i think that boat has now sailed
actually they are all nice pieces, i think the origonal necklace must not have been worn much
and now ive done more internet sluthing i have seen my beads all over the place usulaly alwyas described as bakelite

when i compaired the cherry to my yellow amber the yellow popped straight up to the top of the jug of salt water
the cherry sunk like a stone

Well, that is a bummer… but…at least they are pretty!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
wish me luck
i have a NZ$62 bid on 50cm's worth of beads exactly the same but the strand is broken and unwearable with out restringing -bonus !!
i have 7 minutes to go and postage is only going to be $5
last night when i checked it hadn't reached reserve but the seller must want to sell !

i can make my necklace longer and get a bracelet out of it and maybe get my jewler to wiz up something nice in the earring dept

all is not lost

it appairs these necklaces origianlly came with brass findings
when i thought it was cherry amber i wanted to go with gold findings but now i think ss will look nice
i mean they might not be millions of years old amber but the bakelite must be near on 100 years old

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
got them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:kiss2:
she lives down south but out in the country and only gets to the post office twice a week so it'll be latter next week before i see them

that was a whole lot eaiser than its been trying to get a few odd extra fasceted yellow amber pieces to lengthen my other ne3cklace

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
just got an email saying she is taking it to the post office today so i might see it Tuesday
honestly this has been on a slow burn for over 6 years and now im getting all excitted over it :lol:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Is there some fun coming your way?

cheers--Sharon

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
they are here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i keep thinking its sunday today because i watched the rugby yesterday (boo hoo) and its actually monday
so really happy to see the package at the front door
some of the beads seem huge (im thinking there will be such a thing as bakealite shrinkage syndrome)
they look in reallu good condition
so now to play

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Awww this makes me happy that you turned this adventure around!

I feel like we all have made a bum purchase or "learned our lesson" on a transaction. I am waiting on a piece I won at auction with trepidation because it can happen to any of us!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awww this makes me happy that you turned this adventure around!

I feel like we all have made a bum purchase or "learned our lesson" on a transaction. I am waiting on a piece I won at auction with trepidation because it can happen to any of us!

best of luck with your auction win

i do think regarding my origonal beads, the lady i brought it from probably over paid and was mislead also

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i now have enough beads for a bracelet of small beads, a pair of earrings of two medium sized beads each and some rather large 14mm beads to go into a much bigger and longer necklace

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
i now have enough beads for a bracelet of small beads, a pair of earrings of two medium sized beads each and some rather large 14mm beads to go into a much bigger and longer necklace

I would love to see them when they are finished? Did you post a photo of your moss green agate finished piece and I missed it? Or are they still waiting in queue to be strung?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would love to see them when they are finished? Did you post a photo of your moss green agate finished piece and I missed it? Or are they still waiting in queue to be strung?

im picking up the moss agate necklace tomorrow before work (when i should be sorting my stupid phone out)
maybe i should try to work out how to take photos with laptop now while Gary is having a nap
thank you for the encourgament =)2

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
just an update to make me feel better !!!
and no phone not fixed, or rather it is fixed :appl:but not yet set up:wall:
sigh

so its been over 4 months and i guess im over the dissapointment now:confused:

its taken almost 7 years but im taking them in to get knotted up tomorrow:dance::dance::dance:
and no way can i do it because it hurt like anything by the time i had only threaded up a quarter of the beads just now:boohoo::cry2:

so i will have a big chunky necklace which is what i always wanted and was always the plan,:kiss2:
and hopefully i will love and wear it so much i will forget about my being ripped off :angryfire:
and it will be even chunkier thanks to that broken necklace i got my hand on:appl::appl::appl::appl::appl:
the findings will be stirling silver (im being generous, they were brass back in its day-:sick: yuck, and by the time they got to me really ugly cheap looking gold plated gross:sick:) with one of my guy's big easy to use ss catches:appl:

if they had been real amber i would have used at least gold filled, or perferably 10K findings
i wonder how many times this bakealite has been made over in its life as fashions change ?

as much as i would like a rope my plan for this year is, hurry up and makes things wearable with as little extra cost as possible because there are new things i wish to buy !!!

i had plenty of smaller beads left over and one really big bead, too many for a bracelet which i wouldn't wear much anyway, but if working on these projects has taught me anything it is that i will wear necklaces on a daily basis, so i'll get a 2nd necklace but with a big drop pendant that will look quite different to the first necklace.
if an some latter stage i see another set of beads going cheap maybe i will remake it into a rope
but right now winter 2024 here we come !!!!:appl::appl::appl::appl::dance::dance::dance::dance:
im not even a red person, but i loved these 'cherry amber' beads from the first time i saw them

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results