shape
carat
color
clarity

88 cut diamond vs. H & A??? ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Adelyn

Rough_Rock
Yesterday I saw this diamond with 88 facets in store and it looks really nice and lively. However, for the 88 cut diamond - the selection is limited as there are not many around. I''m torn in between getting a H & A and the 88 cut. Anyone has any knowledge or opinions on this? Please share .. thanks a lot.

33.gif

Adelyn

Rough_Rock
Does more facets equal more brilliance??

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Hi Adelyn.

These are 2 different qualities.

Hearts & Arrows is physical symmetry cut so that optimum alignment of all existing facets has taken place.

Diamond cuts other than the traditional 57 facet round can be cut to achieve "H&A." The Solasfera is a 91 facet round diamond that is cut to the H&A level of symmetry. Do remember that the proportions of any diamond are most important in determining its cut quality. The H&A level of precision is most effective inside proven major proportions.

More facets does not mean more brilliance. The performance quality differs though. Think of a disco ball with standard sized mirrors, then imagine it with many more mirrors, but each mirror is smaller. The appearance changes. It may or may not be improved to you, depending on the overall size of the ball and relative size of the mirrors. To my eyes additional facets make sense in larger sizes (approaching 2ct+).

Spear

Rough_Rock
My question is simalar,

Without taking proportion variations into consideration, Is the standerd 57-facet round brilliant generally the most brilliant or is there a different cut, that may have more brilliance?
If stones with exactly the same cut quality were compared, Which cut would display the most brilliance?

I don''t really know how to ask this question, Hope you understand.

jennyann2

Shiny_Rock
my mom has the three stone Leo diamond ring where each stone has 66 facets. my 57 facet H&A diamond out sparkles all three. extra facets does not always equal more brilliance.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A bit ago, Rhino fished a funky 10-fold symmetry H&A thing... so you can have the H&A pie and eat it with lots of facets too
9.gif

Here's the poster kid...

IMG_3958.JPG

I can't say if there are more options with this kind but these seem to be optimized for light return, just like the usual 8-fold H&A. And the "many facet" look is there as well. To each his own, I guess...

NiceIce carries the brand as well and there must be others too outside PS.

percye

Rough_Rock
Hi! I just want to ask something in relation to theri queries.

I''ve just seen an 88 facets diamond cut, JC Millenium cut diamond in particular, and I can say that it was really sparking-ly amazing. I''ve been a fan of the H&A cut but after seeing the JC, it''s been giving me second thoughts. I''ve read some reviews that the JC Millenium cut are "unsurpassed" in brilliance, and I do think too as well.

I''m planning to buy a ring somewhere around .50 ct and been giving the JC Millenium cut a thought. I want to ask for your opinion regarding the H&A vs JC Millenium cut diamonds.

I hope you could share your thoughts on this.

Thank you very much!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2005 1:31:05 AM
Author: percye
Hi! I just want to ask something in relation to theri queries.

I''ve just seen an 88 facets diamond cut, JC Millenium cut diamond in particular, and I can say that it was really sparking-ly amazing. I''ve been a fan of the H&A cut but after seeing the JC, it''s been giving me second thoughts. I''ve read some reviews that the JC Millenium cut are ''unsurpassed'' in brilliance, and I do think too as well.

I''m planning to buy a ring somewhere around .50 ct and been giving the JC Millenium cut a thought. I want to ask for your opinion regarding the H&A vs JC Millenium cut diamonds.

I hope you could share your thoughts on this.

Thank you very much!
Hi Percye.

Where the Solasfera is a 10-cut diamond that follows traditional patterning in many ways, the JCM is an altered 8-cut with extra faceting. The most prominent changes are the jagged girdle and a far different pavilion profile. I haven''t seen one in person, but it''s hard to imagine that it reacts like a traditional round, which has been the optimum shape for conventional performance for many years. What H&A diamonds have you been able to compare live to the JCM?

Ultimately it is up to your personal preference. The Solasfera, for instance, is too busy to me in anything under 2cts, but some people are attracted to that look. There is a reason many proprietary cuts come and go while the traditional 57/58 facet round endures.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
more brilliant - not likely
as brilliant - possible

Mostly they will look sparky with smaller flashes off the smaller facets.
Some people like them some dont.
To me they look jumbled and busy.
The star129 i looked at which even takes it further came into its own over 2ct but I still would have taken a traditional h&a over it.
At 3ct it may have been more of a contest.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
valeria101 wrote "NiceIce carries the brand as well and there must be others too outside PS."

I just checked the niceice site.
They carry Eighternity but apparently not Solasfera. (Unless they do but don't mention it prominently on their site.)

Goodoldgold does.

Also I'll mention that people in the industry have looked at a million 57-facet stones.
I haven't.
I have not gotten used to the look of 57 facets.
I suspect anything that looks different than what you are used to wouldn't look quite "right".

Don't let others, even pros, tell you what looks good.
Go out and look at as many stones as you can and form your own opinion.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Adelyn,

Just caught this post before I officially started my day and thought I''d share some input with ya on the 88 cut. Earlier this year we have seen the 88cut AND IT IS GORGEOUS. It will most likely be a new addition to our lineup because the optics on most of the stones we inspected were top notch.

When it comes to multifaceted cuts (more than or different than) the traditional H&A''s that folks are used to seeing some people''s personal preference is for larger stones as John and Strm have pointed out. However there are just as many people who absolutely LOVE these multifaceted cuts in smaller stones equally as well. A recent poster here who had purchased a Solasfera got a 1/2ct stone and his fiance was absolutely bonkers over it. We have many testimonials from folks who get these or see them and love them in smaller sizes.

Ame who is a participator on this forum has a Star129 in the .8xct range and she loves her stone. Who can criticize her?

Modified stones like the 88 cut, Star129, Eighternity, Solasfera are all incredibly beautiful diamonds Adelyn. If you look at an 88 cut next to other shapes you are considering and it appeals to your eyes most, I say go for it. It appealed to me so much that we''ll be featuring them and I don''t drop my capital so easily.
1.gif

Hope that helps,

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Did Adelyn ever come back and post her choice?
Having seen the diffrent RB cuts offered at GOG next to each other I personally like the H&A best myself. The others are very lovely but a but more busy and to me looked messy if that makes sense. However it always best to see for yourself. I liked the Solsfera cut quite a bit in pictures but it did not appeal to me in person. JMO.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2005 9:44:43 AM
Author: strmrdr

more brilliant - not likely
as brilliant - possible

Mostly they will look sparky with smaller flashes off the smaller facets.
Some people like them some dont.
To me they look jumbled and busy.
The star129 i looked at which even takes it further came into its own over 2ct but I still would have taken a traditional h&a over it.
At 3ct it may have been more of a contest.
My experience agrees with Strm's sumup.

Date: 10/11/2005 10:23:02 AM
Author: kenny

Also I'll mention that people in the industry have looked at a million 57-facet stones.
I haven't.
I have not gotten used to the look of 57 facets.
I suspect anything that looks different than what you are used to wouldn't look quite 'right'.
While that may be true for some I would like to believe many of us in the industry can appreciate looks that may be old, new, traditional or unconventional - and I hope that I am one of them.
1.gif

After looking at many diamonds, sure, I can quickly see the differences in an average or poor performer versus to a top-notch one in any shape. Thanks to my exposure here I've now become adept at noting the subtle nuances between 'looks' in equally-beautiful superideals... This does not erase my appreciation for other looks. As a musician, I'd relate this to my appreciation of many different styles, so long as the performance is high quality. I hope those who 'pen themselves in' to one look are outnumbered by those of us who appreciate high quality and craftsmanship in any form.

Don't let others, even pros, tell you what looks good.
Go out and look at as many stones as you can and form your own opinion.
Well said.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry John.
Don't mean to paint the pros with one wide brush.

I was just offering another perspective when pros say things like, over X carats they are fine, otherwise they look too busy.
I offer. . . too busy compared to what? - What you are used to?
What if I'm not used to anything?

Just another perspective.
Nobody's right or wrong with this stuff.
But I think it is helpful to throw out lots of ideas and let people decide for themselves.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2005 1:49:23 PM
Author: kenny
Sorry John.
Don''t mean to paint the pros with one wide brush.

I was just offering another perspective when pros say things like, over X carats they are fine, otherwise they look too busy.
I offer. . . too busy compared to what? - What you are used to?
What if I''m not used to anything?

Just another perspective.
Nobody''s right or wrong with this stuff.
But I think it is helpful to through out lots of ideas and let people decide for themselves.
No problem Kenny. Thanks for slimming your brush for me.
2.gif

You make a good point with ''too busy compared to what...'' I do have acquired expectations for fundamental qualities of brightness, fire, scint and contrast in any diamond I am evaluating. That means I am looking for a certain (to me, optimized) balance of those qualities depending on the shape and the lighting conditions. But - busy by my standards might turn out to be another''s cup of tea.

percye

Rough_Rock
hey guys! thanks a lot for your response! thanks for the diagram on the cut, john.

i''m in singapore right now and i''ve seen the Solasfera and JCM here personally. i haven''t seen any jeweller here that sells a "certifed" H&A though. IMHO, Solasfera appears to me as a modified H&A (having 10 arrows, that is) and they did seemed a bit cramped inside the stone. again, JMHO. JCM though seems a bit unique and appears to be round (depending on the setting), though it''s a 16 sided cut. yes, i guess it did send out small sparkles but what caught me is that u can see sparkles even from the sides. but then again, does that mean that some of the light somehow "leaks" from the side? i guess i just have to find a jeweller here in singapore that sells a "certified" H&A and have the JCM compared side by side, if possible.

any jeweller in mind that has quality H&A? any tips as to how i should be "scrutinizing" the stones to get the best stone possible? btw, do they certify H&A just like JCM does?

again, thanks a lot guys! hope to hear from you again.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/15/2005 8:37:00 AM
Author: Spear

My question is simalar, you got forgot Spear

Without taking proportion variations into consideration, Is the standerd 57-facet round brilliant generally the most brilliant or is there a different cut, that may have more brilliance? Generally this stone is considered to be the yard stick. eg Princess can sometimes score about 90% compared to Rounds.however there are a few (very few) new round cuts that might rival the 57 facet round.

If stones with exactly the same cut quality were compared, Which cut would display the most brilliance?

I don''t really know how to ask this question, Hope you understand.

aaronx88

Rough_Rock
percye,

Can you tell me where can someone see a Solasfera in person in Singapore?

Thank you.

Aaron

percye

Rough_Rock
hi aaronx88,

you can check out the Destinee diamonds that is being carried out by Lee Hwa.

percye

aaronx88

Rough_Rock
I believed you might have misunderstood Destinee for a Solasfera. Destinee only have 57 facets and 8 hearts pattern whereas the solasfera has 91 facets and 10 hearts pattern.

I''m thinking of importing a solasfera and u got me excited thinking I can see one in real life in Singapore.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results