shape
carat
color
clarity

4.8mm BK Ruby

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been trying to figure out my new Nikon Coolpix camera but haven''t mastered it yet so these were taken with my old camera.

stats: 4.8mm, 0.52ct, heated ruby

_2009-11-23_001.jpg

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock

_2009-11-23_002.jpg

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
this stone glows in full sun

_2009-11-26_003.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks VERY nice. Do you like it? What do you think of the color and saturation and size IRL?? And TFS!!
21.gif

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I love the colour!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Looks lovely!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Love the flourescence!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome outdoor sun picture; the fluoro really makes the ruby glow.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/6/2009 11:54:15 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
That looks VERY nice. Do you like it? What do you think of the color and saturation and size IRL?? And TFS!!
21.gif
Thanks SH! I really do like this little ruby. I wish it were bigger and cleaner but then I have no doubt I wouldn''t have been able to afford it if it were. So for now, it definitely works.
31.gif
I LOVE the color it has! My ruby knowledge is little to none but I''d consider it pretty darn close to the ideal color for rubies in my eyes. Bob really has gotten better at taking pictures as his were spot on with the ruby.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Lovinggems, ma re, Lady D and Chrono!
16.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely litle gem, even though it''s small, it''s saturated in color. I like the fluor as well.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/7/2009 11:32:35 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Lovely litle gem, even though it''s small, it''s saturated in color. I like the fluor as well.
Thanks TL! Any suggestions on how to set it? I was thinking the 5mm LOGR prong set halo.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely think a white gold halo with lots of diamonds surrounding it will

1) Make the stone look visually larger.
2) Make the color stand out more due to the contrast of white against red.

Which halo are you thinking of?

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/7/2009 12:19:15 PM
I definitely think a white gold halo with lots of diamonds surrounding it will

1) Make the stone look visually larger.
2) Make the color stand out more due to the contrast of white against red.

Which halo are you thinking of?
This is the one I had in mind:

LOGR 5MM HALO.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I''m sure that this lovely ruby will look nice in whichever setting you decide to set it, but I have to disagree with the part of TL''s post where she suggests that this setting would make the stone seem larger. IMO the diamonds should be smaller in proportion to the center stone in order to make it look bigger, especially considering the milgrain edge which makes the halo even wider, while this way even the opposite is possible. I''ve seen this design used around here on PS and it rarely makes the stone seem larger, but it sure does make the color pop. Maybe if it were a rose gold version, and with a bezel instead of prongs it would do the trick. Of course, I could be wrong on all accounts, but it''s just a feeling I got after looking at these photos.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
What a lovely ruby!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OOOO I have that setting! (I think you''ll like it a lot for that stone!) are you going with white or yellow gold?

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/7/2009 1:42:08 PM
Author: ma re
I''m sure that this lovely ruby will look nice in whichever setting you decide to set it, but I have to disagree with the part of TL''s post where she suggests that this setting would make the stone seem larger. IMO the diamonds should be smaller in proportion to the center stone in order to make it look bigger, especially considering the milgrain edge which makes the halo even wider, while this way even the opposite is possible. I''ve seen this design used around here on PS and it rarely makes the stone seem larger, but it sure does make the color pop. Maybe if it were a rose gold version, and with a bezel instead of prongs it would do the trick. Of course, I could be wrong on all accounts, but it''s just a feeling I got after looking at these photos.
I agree with that statement Mr. Ma Rae. I''m actually looking to set my 4.76mm lilac diamond and looking at LOGR halos with very tiny melee.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks ma re! That''s what I was going to look at today and forgot! I was going to see what the ruby looked like with rose gold. So I should try and go with smaller diamonds than this halo style currently has?

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/7/2009 1:47:04 PM
Author: mariedtiger
What a lovely ruby!
Thanks mariedtiger!!
9.gif

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/7/2009 3:10:03 PM
Author: Arcadian
OOOO I have that setting! (I think you''ll like it a lot for that stone!) are you going with white or yellow gold?

-A
I''m going to go digging around for pictures of your ring, I was thinking you had this setting! I''m still undecided. I prefer yellow and rose gold to white normally but I haven''t tried them out with this stone yet.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/7/2009 3:50:37 PM

I agree with that statement Mr. Ma Rae. I''m actually looking to set my 4.76mm lilac diamond and looking at LOGR halos with very tiny melee.
36.gif
I can''t wait to see the finished product TL! I''ll be following that project.
1.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2009 12:00:26 AM
Author: brandy_z28

Thanks ma re! That''s what I was going to look at today and forgot! I was going to see what the ruby looked like with rose gold. So I should try and go with smaller diamonds than this halo style currently has?
Well, considering the fact that your stone isn''t exactly a monster-size one (
9.gif
) I''m not sure you can find a setting with small enough stones that easily. Maybe it would help if diamonds would be just prong set, without the milgrain edge, cause that adds extra width to the halo. Or you can ask LOGR is it possible to slightly tilt/angle the halo downwards (so that it looks somewhat like a balerina skirt), i.e. that it ends up slightly angled towards the shank. That way, when looking from above, halo would seem thinner, but I don''t know if it''s doable. Going with rose gold for the entire halo might also make diamonds look smaller, due to the stronger contrast between their white and the color of metal.

I hope you come up with something you''ll love
2.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about a cluster style halo? I’ve seen this one from LOGR and like it a lot. I don’t recall if it’s for a 4 mm or 5 mm stone though, plus it has an airline which I don’t know if you like.

LOGRcluster.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/8/2009 2:54:48 AM

9.gif
) I''m not sure you can find a setting with small enough stones that easily. Maybe it would help if diamonds would be just prong set, without the milgrain edge, cause that adds extra width to the halo. Or you can ask LOGR is it possible to slightly tilt/angle the halo downwards (so that it looks somewhat like a balerina skirt), i.e. that it ends up slightly angled towards the shank. That way, when looking from above, halo would seem thinner, but I don''t know if it''s doable. Going with rose gold for the entire halo might also make diamonds look smaller, due to the stronger contrast between their white and the color of metal.

2.gif
LoGR has a tiny 5mm halo which might work.

This is one of my favourite setting for a small stone. I am setting my Gene ruby in one, so I am biased.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/8/2009 8:32:43 AM
Author: Chrono
What about a cluster style halo? I’ve seen this one from LOGR and like it a lot. I don’t recall if it’s for a 4 mm or 5 mm stone though, plus it has an airline which I don’t know if you like.
Oh thank you Chrono for mentioning that setting! That''s the one that got away from me quite a while ago and I''m still kicking my butt that I didn''t bid higher. I wanted to customize it and with those additional charges it put it just out of my budget. How in the world did I forget about that setting and consider it for this stone?!
30.gif
That setting is a front runner for sure as it''s always been one of my LOGR favorites!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/8/2009 8:59:48 AM
Author: Lady_Disdain

9.gif

2.gif
LoGR has a tiny 5mm halo which might work.

This is one of my favourite setting for a small stone. I am setting my Gene ruby in one, so I am biased.
Thank you Lady_D!
Do you have pictures of your ruby in that setting floating around on PS somewhere? I really like that setting as well and am still considering putting my oyo tourmaline asscher in that one but I can definitely see the ruby looking nice in that one too.
36.gif

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock

9.gif

2.gif
Thank you ma re for your suggestions. You are most definitely right about the size and though I think the color of the ruby will most definitely be able to stand on it''s own; I don''t want the setting to be working against it.
1.gif
You are most definitely right.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW I like all three of those settings. While I love the first one -- halo I do think it might overpower your stone. The second one is very cool.

The setting Lady D posted is lovely but looks like my ering setting so I probably won''t ever buy it! Basically I already wear it. LOL

If you like the second one go for it!!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here is my ruby:

0.7ct cushion (4.8mm). There are 2 threads on it, but I couldn''t find them (I am terrible with a search engine).

pl_32_detail_1.png

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results