shape
carat
color
clarity

24k Gold

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Adrienne

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone know of a reputable place to order 24k gold jewelry?

I''m in the states (Washington state to be specific) and am interested in buying some 24k gold jewelry. I know that around here the highest you can get is 18k.

So are there any suggestions for online jewelers that would be able to help me with this purchase?

Thanks!

dobie

Rough_Rock
It will be a lot easier for you to drive up to Vancouver for 24K jewelry. Lots of Chinese jewelry stores here have them. I don't think any of them is online.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Bianca,

24k is very popular within certain communities. If there is a jeweler in your city that caters to the Vietnamese or Thai communities, they are probably familiar with working in 24k. It''s really fun to watch a jeweler take a gold coin and fabricate it into something wonderful. As Steve points out, there are some engineering type concerns that make it unsuitable for many designs and it does require some special care when you wear it but the jewelers who work with it should be able to advise you what will work and what won''t.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/24/2005 8:50:22 AM
Author: AGBF
Bianca,

You might be interested in this recent thread:
Which just got an update HERE
35.gif

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/23/2005 10:58
6.gif
3 PM
Author: Feydakin
You really don''t want 24k gold jewelry.. 24k is very very soft and it will constantly bend, scratch, and otherwise get beat up by just about everything you touch.. The alloy is added (18k is 75% gold and 25% alloy) to give the gold some strength and durablility, and in some cases, to give it a different color..
I think that it really depends on what sort of jewellery you want the 24k gold for. I wouldn''t use it for a diamond ring but I have a 24k fine chain bracelet with 24k leaf charms. I''ve had it for 13 years - I wear it every day and it''s still in great condition. My mum has 24k gold stud earrings too and she''s never had any problems with them either.

Adrienne

Shiny_Rock
Wow - thanks everyone! :)

Feydakin - I appreciate your concerns over the durability of the metal. I know my 24k necklace is pretty bendable (that''s how the clasp works) so I definitely understand what you are saying.

Dobie - I didn''t even think of Vancouver... of course, I could just go to Chinatown in Seattle. :) Do you think the selection would be better in Vancouver (aka outside of the US)?

You have all been so helpful and informative!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi:

I am a big fan of 24K jewellery and have had different levels of "success" depending on the piece, it''s gram weight and it''s use. For instance, in earrings I have pieces with a stem and post/butterfly that are quite durable, but the hoops which close unto themselves were a complete right off since they bent out of shape in short order with daily removal. With bangles might I suggest--usually the heavier the more durable--but if they are high polished they show the wear more easily with banging the wrist on hard surfaces (I am not so careful it seems....). My sister has a heavy gold link bracelet that she has worn for twenty five years, with only the clasp requiring servicing on occasion.

Same goes for neckchains, weight confers some durability--yet do not be deterred with some of the finer pieces as they are very beautiful--but just don''t let your two year old grab it
2.gif
; and of course the unique clasp does wear--but I have found this is very easily repaired. Finally in rings, my husband has worn a 24K wedding band for twenty years that has only been replaced once and not b/c he wore it out, rather he lost it while diving in Belize. Granted it is very thick and square shape but the minor dents evident, in my opinion, only add to the beauty of the ring.

Families often pass down this kind of jewellery for generations--and children often wear it also--so certainly it is beautiful and functional. Much of my older jewellery was made in my late Fathers jewellery shop, but now I frequent a fine store in "Chinatown" in Calgary where I live.

Have fun searching--and do compare prices in each shop should you go to "Chinatown", as I find things can vary from place to place. But this is half the fun!!!

cheers--Sharon

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
When we bought our 24k jewellery in Hong Kong, the sales assistants would take the daily price of gold, determine the weight of the pieces and then price the piece accordingly, plus cost of craftmanship and overheads. I don''t know if this is how other countries price their 24k gold

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/27/2005 5:26:26 PM
Author: Sparkster
When we bought our 24k jewellery in Hong Kong, the sales assistants would take the daily price of gold, determine the weight of the pieces and then price the piece accordingly, plus cost of craftmanship and overheads. I don't know if this is how other countries price their 24k gold

I have seen jewelers weigh gold (18K) jewelry in Italy, too.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/27/2005 5:26:26 PM
Author: Sparkster
When we bought our 24k jewellery in Hong Kong, the sales assistants would take the daily price of gold, determine the weight of the pieces and then price the piece accordingly, plus cost of craftmanship and overheads. I don''t know if this is how other countries price their 24k gold
HI:

I was just out today pricing some 24K pieces and inquiring about custom work--and it seems this rubric you mention may hold true here in NA as well, or at least in my limited expereince/where I''ve shopped.....

cheers--Sharon

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dobie - I didn''t even think of Vancouver... of course, I could just go to Chinatown in Seattle. :) Do you think the selection would be better in Vancouver (aka outside of the US)?
This is what I was going to suggest! Have you called around in the international district? This is your best bet and even if you can''t find a person/dealer there, maybe someone can recommend a place. Also, possibly call some upscale shops in Bellevue as maybe a jeweler in this area can provide some ideas.

abbott

Shiny_Rock
My husband bought me a 24K bracelet in Dubai... Abbott

dobie

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/27/2005 6:11:12 PM
Author: MichelleCarmen

This is what I was going to suggest! Have you called around in the international district? This is your best bet and even if you can''t find a person/dealer there, maybe someone can recommend a place. Also, possibly call some upscale shops in Bellevue as maybe a jeweler in this area can provide some ideas.
I''ve never been to the Chinatown in Seattle so I can''t tell you what the selection will be. Since Vancouver probably has a much larger Asian population, my guess is that the selection is much better here. It won''t be so bad if you plan a long weekend shopping here in Vancouver or even in San Francisco. I haven''t been to Vancouver''s Chinatown in years so I can''t even say if there are any jewellery stores there now. Vancouver''s Chinatown is right next to the worse and poorest neighbourhood in Vancouver so many shops have moved out over the years. There are at least 3 or 4 Asian malls in nearby Richmond and a mall in Burnaby where I know for sure you will find 24K jewellery. We also have a large population of East Indians so you might like to check out 22K jewellery in Vancouver or in Surrey where a lot of them live. In the shops I''ve been to, they also price the items using the latest gold price. The price tags don''t have prices. They have the weights written on them. My own family rarely buy locally. Years ago, my parents bought from a friend/relative that had a shop in Chinatown. The shop is no longer there so they might have retired or something. My parents vacation in Asia every 3 or 4 years. They usually bring back a few pieces each time.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results