shape
carat
color
clarity

2 ct. RB, Asscher or Cushion?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
My BF and I interested in a 2 ct. solitare ering. We''ve narowed it down to either a RB, Asscher or a squarish Cushion cut. I was wondering what your opinions of each are. Which is more brilliant? Is one more expensive? Which one will show up the most? Please help! Most jewlers don''t carry the Asscher or Cushion, let alone in that carat weight. All advice appreciated! Thanks.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Hello!

My future husband and I also looked at the same carat weight (appx) and cuts as you...We found most jewelers carried the round (which I believe is the most brilliant) but not an Asscher (or square emerald cut) or a cushion. With lots of looking we eventually did find about a two carat in each cut...I would go to higher end shops in major cities....we found the Asscher and Cushion in San Francisco. You could also look for Royal Asscher dealers...

I really liked all three...With similar specs we found the Asscher was the least brilliant, then the cushion and finally the round. Prices varied for many reasons (i.e. cut, polish, color, clarity, store)...

We ended out going with the Asscher regardless that the table was slightly smaller (I believe this is pretty typical for these type of cuts) however I liked that it was unique. I did not know a single person with the cut. I do wish however that the diamond look a little larger (It is 1.93 and it looks like a 1.3-5 round cut diamond)....but in reality, the diamond cut is PERFECT for me. I just love the classic clean facets and the fact it is really unique . That being said, ALL cuts you mentioned are GREAT. Each has it''s own wonderful traits!

Good LUCK!
26.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/9/2005 10:08:51 AM
Author:jcrow
My BF and I interested in a 2 ct. solitare ering.
Reading this... I would think you have a certain size in mind. For 2 cts, rounds cushions and asschers would have different sizes. It would not be fair to talk about 'the average', but it is useful to look for this detail if you compare stones (even onlione - the relevant numbers for diameters are always there).

Now, it may be that ideal cut diamonds are the brightest of the bunch (although cushion cuts can match that, IMO, and step cuts are a completely different animal in the sparkle department... so it is hard to judge). But rounds are the most common - so if they 'stand out' but brighteness in direct light, than I'd say the asscher would stand out the most because there are fewer of those around at any given time. Many step cut diamodns are really not very bright because the way they are cut does not help. So finding a brilliant asscher will probably yield the most out of the ordinary ring out of the range of choices you mention. Just one way to see things, of course.

... only sort of related:

2 carat asscher and 1 carat 'helpers'
2.gif

201216aa.JPG

I wish there were pictures of these rings 'on hand', but that is not the case yet. This comes somewhat close, although the stones are not quite square.

2.25 center and 0.6 cts sides

AM_2.jpg

Just a (very pleasant, on my side at least) thought.
1.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
thanks. all is helpful. I have always loved the RB. but, liked mentioned, it''s just SO common. I wanted something different, yet still classic (if that''s possible). we did find out that the asscher is the cut that gives the smallest look of the three, followed by the cushion and finally the round. also, we learned that the cushion is a softer looking sparkle. I love all three in magazines and online, but hoped more info would help us with the decision.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
In my opinion, rounds are very common, for a good reason, but not unsual. they are sparklier and look the biggest. I have an Ec so I love step cuts. A true asscher is difficult to find, what is out there now days is most likely a modified asscher/square emerald. I love the softness of a cushion, with half moons on the sides it is so amazing. An asshcer with step cut trapezoids on the side is also great. Do not get me wrong, rounds are fine, and for earrings and stuff I love them. It just seems that they are not anything remarkable, and if you get a great cut on the asscher or cushion it would be great. If you think you might be wary than go with the rb...but I think the other two are great...

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
also, i have heard a little about the Royal Asscher. from pics it''s very beautiful! do you know if there is a huge price difference from the standard asscher?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
diamondfan,

i have thought of side stones, but have decided to stick with a solitaire. I find it most appealing with a wring. and since i have petite hands, one stone seems plenty.

About the asscher cut- that''s what i am afraid of. the asschers out there seem to be not as good as they should be. maybe i should now look towards the royal asscher? maybe i would find better cuts that route? this is all so new to me.

laney

Brilliant_Rock
From what I understand there definately is a premium to pay for a branded "royal asscher" but they sure are beautiful. You''ll have to seek out a special vendor as well.

I love all the cuts you mention, and I am a proud owner of a round brillant. Although I secretly lust after an asscher, I love my RB - and know that for years to come, it won''t look ''too'' out of style.. "Of the moment" shapes come and go. There will be people who love thier ring no matter what is currently in style. The Asscher is of the moment right now - and rightly so - as they are so pretty.. But through the years, the RB has always had it''s place and the shape itself never "Seems" out of place or style. Friends with pears and marquise'' want different shaped upgrades.. to each his own...

Just an opinion.

As for flash, sparkley - size and noticablity - I agree w/above, RB, Cushion than asscher..

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
laney-

so i understand a bit more, thanks. i had always wondered why the RB was overwhelmingly the most popular. I wasn''t sure if it was price, the guy''s "choice" or what. I guess it''s several factors. On the other hand, i also wondered why the other cuts were so uncommon. Lots of people have never heard of the cushion or asscher. i wondered if something was "wrong" with them or if they were way too expensive. They are so pretty, though.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
J-I understood that the orginal asscher,the royal, is hard to come by. I think the family who created the cut was killed during the holocaust and until recently when the modified started being cut, the only ones out there were from a long time ago. I could be mistaken but this is what I remember a jeweler in Palm Beach telling me. I definitely think a round or even an oval or emerald are very timeless, there seem to be trends with other shapes. I know fewer pears and marquise are being sold now, more asschers and cushions...but it really is more about what YOU like. Also, you can chose wisely, but people''s tastes do change, so keep that in mind!!!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! Here's a link to the Royal Asscher website. http://www.asscher.com/en/index-flash.html

If you contact them, they could tell you who carries them in your area. If you're anywhere near Philadelphia, Pa., the Jack Kellmer Company has them.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
thanks-Madam Bijoux.

(Though i am in Louisiana) i''ll check it out.

JD_MD

Rough_Rock
Regarding price....RB stones are typically more expensive than the other 2 cuts, with all other factors being equal.

Also keep in mind that with an Asscher cut, the diamond will typically have to have a clarity grade of VS2 or better since there are fewer places to "hide" inclusions due to the nature of the cut. To head off the anticipated responses to my statement and have this thread go off topic, I''ll also state that there are VS2 Asscher diamonds that aren''t eye clean and SI1''s that are....just easier to see inclusions in an Asscher in general.

Some may also argue that an Asscher diamond of a given color grade will appear less white face up than a RB or cushion cut due to the lower light performance of Asschers in general.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Thanks SO much for that info. I had no idea.

I also just assumed that the RB was least expensive.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Get an Asscher!!!
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif
It is a classic, it's elegant, it's flashy but subdued, it's out of the ordinary, and have you seen Daniel K's website?!? Daniel K Yummmmmmm... If you decide to go with Asschers, PM strmrdr (spelling??) for help - he's very good and quite particular about his asschers!

RB is most brilliant of all shapes. It will be most expensive unless you're comparing unbranded ideal RB with a Royal Asscher (i.e. when all unbranded, RB is most expensive). Of your 3 choices, the RB will face up the largest, then cushion, then Asscher. If you're comfortable working with an online vendor, you should contact Diamonds by Lauren (they post on this forum too). They seem to have a lot of larger weight stones in fancy shapes (and colors!). Or try strm!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Thanks JCJD.

I will check out the website right now~

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
oh wow! lots of asschers, and not just asscher erings on Daniel K''s site!

solange

Brilliant_Rock
My engagement ring was a 2.95 pear shape which was very popular when we got engaged. The pear shape looks larger than a comparable round.

However , although rounds are always in style, trends change as to the fancy shapes.
I recently got an upgrade to a larger, round stone.

It is true that rounds are the most common but they never go out of style and if they are well cut, show the most sparkle. My husband wanted me to get a round stone in the first place and when he decided on the upgrade, he insisted that it be round with no sidestones.

Since it is an engagement ring, you should make sure you get what you love and the rings Valeria posted are gorgeous. Just study the options, take all things into consideration and then decide what you and your fiance will be happiest with. Best of luck.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
thanks solange.

i do think that what i will have to do is find the three cuts in the size range we are looking at and as solitaires, and compare. see which one goes with my hand, etc. Hopefully my gut will know.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
If my budget allowed 2ct - I''d have a version of this 2.36 ct. art deco ring from Nelson Rarities reproduced in a hummingbird''s heartbeat. Something about the proportions just sings to me ...extra long back baguette ... supreme. More pix of this available at Nelson Rarities.

Some may think of Asschers as trendy, but if the classic Emerald cut calls to you more than their flashier cousins the RB & Cushions, it will always work for you. (At least that''s what I''m hoping as I''ve chosen a 1.5 generic "Asscher" like square emerald cut!!!)

No1pickfront.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ahhh .. perfection.

zideal.jpg

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
that ring is Gorgeous!!!

I wonder what it would look like paired with a w-ring

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That ring is to die for!!!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Though there is one option I''ve learned about recently ... a Square Hearts & Arrows "modern cushion" , which I saw online at GoodOldGold. This one comes closest to your specs I guess. It is an interesting cut.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/square_cushion_1_79ct_g_vs1_h%26a.htm

I also saw something called a "cut cornered square modified brilliant" at a place in the Diamond District. That one was at Ultimate Jewelry Designs I think ... www.ultimatediamond.com. They had it set in a split shank pave octagonal halo and it was brilliant. But - a little Viva Las Vegas for my tastes (and over my budget!!)

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok since you likes it ... here are two more pix of my fave. I have quite a collection ... though no hand shots sadly. I think a thin, thin micro pave or band channel set with baguettes would look lovely with this. Super thin is the key, cause you don''t want to take away from the e-ring. There may be some space between the two, but I like that antique -ish look. Not matchy-matchy. (Of course some sets sing to me too - so I''m fickle!).

z2-37ctasschercut2b.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
And .. back view ... which proves how obsessive I am!

No1pickback.jpg

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
those other cuts are interesting.

Yeh, i guess so far that''s what i like. Bright, sparkly, round or pillow shaped or square. and different.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
This band might be "too much" for it - but I just saw it today and love it.

asscherbanddiamedscassi.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Holy smokes that is a FABULOUS ring deco...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Me likes that one a lot!!!!! Keep them coming!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results