shape
carat
color
clarity

2.8 ct violet/blue spinel in 18K rose gold LOGR

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/15/2010 11:41:24 PM
Author: cellentani
I would never have thought that combo would look good, but gosh, your spinel really pops in that setting. I went back and looked at your Malaya, and I think you''re right - the rose gold just didn''t do much for it, and I much prefer the spinel.

I''d forgotten you use Merry Richards - my DH bought my first e-ring from them when they were on Wabash - I still have the receipt! He had a very favorable impression of them at the time, so it''s nice to hear they are continuing to do good work.
Thank you Cellentani.

It''s so funny because I found an old thread on that Leon ring above, and how everyone hated it!! That gave me a chuckle! Oh well, I still love rose gold. I guess it''s not for everyone.
2.gif
I just love pink and blue together.

That''s so nice that you have used Merry Richards before. I am so happy with them, so thanks for bringing up your positive experience with them.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Wow this is fantastic combo, its really inspirational, I will seriously consider blue with rose gold for my future project:)
ETA perfect size for the mount! Great work
36.gif

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
I''m a huge rose gold fan and
I think your ring is prettier than the
Leon because the colors are more subtle.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow TL, that''s a gorgeous shade of blue and I like the rose gold a lot. It''s very pretty and different!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Stunning - love that combo!!
30.gif
30.gif

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I like it a lot.
36.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is my favourite pic of it.
30.gif
Love the spinel in the rose gold setting. I was skeptical when I read the thread title, but it totally works for me!
9.gif

TLvioletspinelwhite.JPG

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that last picture is fabulous. The spinel is so violet that it''s reflection is tinting the diamonds.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Very, very pretty ring, TL. Great stone, and the color with the setting work together well.
36.gif
I think blue and purple stones will look better in LOGR rose gold, which tends to be coppery, than redder stones. Good idea to make the switch.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Very pretty, TL. You always come up with such interesting design combos. Great inspiration!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chictomato-Thank you for the kind words!! I am glad it fit well in that setting too, I was a bit worried it wouldn't. I'm just glad the combo, to me, works.

MissMina-Wow, thank you for that huge compliment, but I still rather have the million dollar plus Leon ring.
2.gif
3.gif

Gemgirl-Thank you, I'm glad people at least think it's different.

AmberGretchen-Thank you!!

Lovinggems-Thank you!

LTP-Thank you!! I hope my thread title didn't scare too many people away - LOL!!

Gemgirl-Thank you!! It's so hard to get these pics in focus, so I'm glad that last one turned out well too.
9.gif

Flygirl-Thank you!! In 18K it isn't as coppery as 14K, so I think it works even better.

AustenNut-Awww, thanks!! How sweet.
1.gif

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
This is a great ring. I love the cut and color(s) of the spinel, and the rose gold is to die for. I feel envy twinges
9.gif
Definitely a great ring. Worth to take the chance to be inspired to buy gemstones despite a promise to self of just having one project at a time. Good job TL
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful stone in any lighting - the pre-dominately blue, the tanzanitey, and the violet are all striking and rich. Take good care of it! :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/17/2010 12:32:21 AM
Author: mariedtiger
This is a great ring. I love the cut and color(s) of the spinel, and the rose gold is to die for. I feel envy twinges
9.gif
Definitely a great ring. Worth to take the chance to be inspired to buy gemstones despite a promise to self of just having one project at a time. Good job TL
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Awwww, thanks MT. Your beautiful spinel rings gave me inspiration to go out and buy some violet spinels of my own. Thank you so much!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/17/2010 7:22:56 AM
Author: Kim Bruun
Beautiful stone in any lighting - the pre-dominately blue, the tanzanitey, and the violet are all striking and rich. Take good care of it! :)
Thank you Kim,
I am so happy that this spinel doesn't go ugly in certain lighting. About a year ago, I bought a spinel from a very reputable dealer. It was violet, and it went so blackish grey in natural light, I returned it the next day. The only lighting it looked decent in was strong fluorescent. That turned me off to spinels for a long time, and I just couldn't understand the fascination (including some sad spinel purchases I made in the long ago past). Well, I'm glad to have turned a new leaf I guess!!

While I think these stones can be very moody, when they're beautiful, they're just incredible. I am so happy to be able to understand why PS'ers and so many people love these stones as they do. The sparkle, the wonderful colors, and the luster, are just amazing. I have so much fun wearing this ring because it's like having several gems in one, sapphire, tanzanite, siberian amethyst, just incredible.

Now, when I go spinel hunting, I use certain criteria to buy them. I'm not a spinel expert, but whether it's right or wrong, I think this new criteria has worked well for me with my last few spinel purchases. I'm on cloud nine!

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
Exactly! Fine spinel can be as gorgeous as sapphires and rubies - but I''ve come to the conclusion that buying expensive spinels (especially blues and purples) online is too risky. You risk getting a moody stone that really only shines in certain lightning conditions.

I hope high quality spinels are still on the market when I can afford one - I definitely get the appeal!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/18/2010 6:09:06 PM
Exactly! Fine spinel can be as gorgeous as sapphires and rubies - but I've come to the conclusion that buying expensive spinels (especially blues and purples) online is too risky. You risk getting a moody stone that really only shines in certain lightning conditions.

I hope high quality spinels are still on the market when I can afford one - I definitely get the appeal!
Kim,
I think violet/blue spinels, in my limited experience and from what I've seen from some disappointed people, can be very risky to buy online, but I took a chance here. The reason I took a chance was because the spinel was medium light in tone, and didn't have grey body color, especially when viewed through the pavillion. I'm still too nervous to buy spinels with darker tone, medium dark and beyond, because of my inexpertise with these stones. I also think it's always important to also ask the seller about the color shift with these stones.

In your opinion (and anyone else's opinion of course
1.gif
), do you think it's better to buy these stones in lighter tones (I'm talking strictly blues, violets and purples)? Even though this stone is medium light in tone, it deepened in color significantly in the setting, and is actually now a medium tone.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Wow...I would have never though this combo would work. It''s really pretty!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2010 3:27:30 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
This is my favourite pic of it.
30.gif
Love the spinel in the rose gold setting. I was skeptical when I read the thread title, but it totally works for me!
9.gif

TLvioletspinelwhite.JPG

I agree, Lauren. This is a fantastic picture of the ring.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks antique...Beautiful.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Mochi,
I actually didn''t think that was the greatest photo of it, but I did take some more and got this one in-focus shot (probably the last in-focus shot of my entire life) in the sun that finally came out that day. The top of the stone looks dark because it''s reflecting my black coat, but this is very in-focus (for me) and you can even see the little bubble inclusion and the reflection of it in the stone (this is totally non-visible to the naked eye). You can even see my skin color being reflected in it. I''m also wearing two 18K yellow gold bands around it, so you can see the difference in the rose gold and the yellow gold. Well, I thought this was a cool shot, and also shows the nice quality of the LOGR full cut diamonds. I know this ring isn''t everyone''s taste, but it was fun to photograph due to all the color changes it has.

TLvioletspinelinfocus2.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Same shot from further away. That black fuzz is from my coat sleeve.

TLinfocusspinelfw.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/18/2010 11:12:41 PM
Author: crasru
Looks antique...Beautiful.
Thank you Crasru. The rose gold gives it an antique flair, I agree.

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/18/2010 9:26:04 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Kim,
I think violet/blue spinels, in my limited experience and from what I''ve seen from some disappointed people, can be very risky to buy online, but I took a chance here. The reason I took a chance was because the spinel was medium light in tone, and didn''t have grey body color, especially when viewed through the pavillion. I''m still too nervous to buy spinels with darker tone, medium dark and beyond, because of my inexpertise with these stones. I also think it''s always important to also ask the seller about the color shift with these stones.

In your opinion (and anyone else''s opinion of course
1.gif
), do you think it''s better to buy these stones in lighter tones (I''m talking strictly blues, violets and purples)? Even though this stone is medium light in tone, it deepened in color significantly in the setting, and is actually now a medium tone.
I''ve learned to ask the seller if the colour shifts with blue, violet, and purple spinel after buying a rather expsensive one that looked rather like a tanzanite on the seller''s website. In hand, it was dark, not very lively, and grayish. Even in the best of lighting conditions (where the purple warmed a little) the stone still struck me a suffocatingly smoky.

For me, a grayish tone is more forgivable in a lighter stone (it can even be somewhat attractive, provided that it is very slight), because blue or purple can drown if a stone is both dark and grayish.

Right now, I am awaiting a cheaply bought tanzanian blue spinel (seller said that the stone had no grayish tone but was a bit dark).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/19/2010 12:51:31 PM

Date: 1/18/2010 9:26:04 PM

Kim,
I think violet/blue spinels, in my limited experience and from what I''ve seen from some disappointed people, can be very risky to buy online, but I took a chance here. The reason I took a chance was because the spinel was medium light in tone, and didn''t have grey body color, especially when viewed through the pavillion. I''m still too nervous to buy spinels with darker tone, medium dark and beyond, because of my inexpertise with these stones. I also think it''s always important to also ask the seller about the color shift with these stones.

In your opinion (and anyone else''s opinion of course
1.gif
), do you think it''s better to buy these stones in lighter tones (I''m talking strictly blues, violets and purples)? Even though this stone is medium light in tone, it deepened in color significantly in the setting, and is actually now a medium tone.
I''ve learned to ask the seller if the colour shifts with blue, violet, and purple spinel after buying a rather expsensive one that looked rather like a tanzanite on the seller''s website. In hand, it was dark, not very lively, and grayish. Even in the best of lighting conditions (where the purple warmed a little) the stone still struck me a suffocatingly smoky.

For me, a grayish tone is more forgivable in a lighter stone (it can even be somewhat attractive, provided that it is very slight), because blue or purple can drown if a stone is both dark and grayish.

Right now, I am awaiting a cheaply bought tanzanian blue spinel (seller said that the stone had no grayish tone but was a bit dark).
Kim,
So you do take risks and buy a darker spinel? I love Chrono''s Barry Bridgestock cut blue spinel (see her new cobalt thread), and it''s a darker tone, but the color is still very attractive.

Good luck on your Tanzanian spinel, I hope it works out for you, and please keep us posted on it. I''m dying to know what you think when you get it.
12.gif
9.gif

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/19/2010 1:03:42 PM
Kim,
So you do take risks and buy a darker spinel?
To be honest, it was a 35 dollar eBay risk, and partly out of curiosity. I will be sure to let you know if I think it was worth the 35 bucks.
2.gif

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
That is gorgeous TL! I love the rose gold with that stone.
30.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the last 2 pictures; very crisp, clear and focused. Most importantly, BLUE! It also goes really well with the rose gold.
30.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2010 7:31:14 PM
On a white background.

I thought I''d already seen this thread-musta been a different one?? Regardless, I LOVE this particular picture! I love your metal color/stone color combinations. (I''m STILL dying to do mint green/rose gold together)

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Always love to see your pics and jewels, no need to apologize! Plus we all should be buying as many stones! I''m trying to keep up!

I agree, the rose gold gives it an antique or vintage feel. Very very pretty and feminine ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results