shape
carat
color
clarity

$100 Referral

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Superidealist

Brilliant_Rock
A while back I got an email from someone who bought from a Pricescope vendor saying that my posts had helped her make her decision. She asked if I wanted the $100 the vendor offered for a referral. (I declined.)

Which vendors here offer a program like this? Has anyone here accepted money for a referral? Does this taint the many recommendations offered here? What are your thoughts?

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
I was offered the referral fee once. I declined and offered it back to the customer as an engagement present if he really wanted to go through with it since he was stretching his budget.

The only thing I base my recommendations on is my personal experience since I''ve purchased something from almost everyone I''ve dealt with.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Never been offered money for a referal by a vendor wouldnt accept it if I was.
Have been offered money for help by a consumer directly.
Turned it down and helped for free.

Semi-seriously talked job offers with a few vendors.
If my status as a consumer ever changes the board will be the first to know.

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Its a nice gesture from the vendor , but an insult in a way to some consumers.

People want to hear unbiased reviews. Nobody wants an opinion that has been influanced by money.

Few people now adays would have not excepted the money. Its good to see there are those kind of people still out there, that their word means more then the money offered.

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
SI,

Am I reading this correctly ?

That there are possibly PS vendors paying PS members to suggest their company in their consumer posts?

Wow !

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Brian,

In my case, I recommended a stone that he not previously condsidered. It was bigger and slightly above his budget but a good value none the less (my kind of stone). He liked the stone but was having a problem with the cost. He asked if I was interested in the referral, I said no, but if he was struggling with the budget I could give the referral fee to him and he could consider it an engagement gift. He ended up buying a smaller stone.

I don''t need the money and would never post in that fashion.

Steve, you''ve got it all wrong. It''s a secret consumer guild dedicated to smearing the reputation of bench jewelers and B&M stores thereby propping up said favorite jeweler.
2.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I must say, like Brian, I''m stunned. I had no idea that this practice went on. Doesn''t this go to issue of impartiality? Wow

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/4/2005 10:45:16 PM
Author:Superidealist
A while back I got an email from someone who bought from a Pricescope vendor saying that my posts had helped her make her decision. She asked if I wanted the $100 the vendor offered for a referral. (I declined.)

Which vendors here offer a program like this? Has anyone here accepted money for a referral? Does this taint the many recommendations offered here? What are your thoughts?
Technically, I am not a vendor, since sales always go through our dealers. With this being indeed a possible can of worms, I just want to make clear that we are not offering any such program.

With B&M-stores, however, I have heard before, that they give their clients a gift-certificate in case they refer a friend to their store. It seems a decent way of doing business. My telephone-company offers me tonnes of goodies if I sign up friends.

I think that each vendor should answer whether they have such a program. Then, Superidealist could add it to his comparison-list of e-vendors.

On the other hand, there is something about the many recommendations here, that bothers me. I think that it is OK if a newbie comes on the forum, and asks about a specific stone, that anybody gives his or her idea about that stone. I wonder if it is correct to bombard that newbie with alternatives. It is basically never an answer to the original question, and I feel that there should be some more constraint in this area.

Live long,

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
If I’m reading this correctly, the referrals were mentioned by the customers, not vendors.

The referrals are common in this trade and vendors often ask their customers if somebody recommended them. See for example Blue Nile Referral Rewards Rules

However, if a vendor offers a fee for recommendations on this forum, it is unacceptable. If such practice will be proven, we should remove any referrals to such vendor.

Side note: Some vendors, who are not getting many recommendations on the forum, use to consider everybody’s guilty until proven innocent.

I witnessed when some vendors were absolutely sure that recommendations on this forum are paid by their competitors until they started getting recommendations from their own real customers and the forum regulars.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dicey issue:

Not a problem if done properely as a rewards program.

Can of worms is and understatement if done proactively to generate sales.

No one has offered me $, yet. I am also not looking for it from this forum.

Perry

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Gift Certs and cash payments for referrals is a very common sales practice. The sales person at the dealership where we bought our car offers a gift cert to a nice restaurant (dinner for 2) for every buyer referred by us that results in a sale. I haven''t had dinner on the Dealership yet. Guess that''s a commentary on my powers of persuasion.
20.gif
I know a very successful Real Estate Agent who offered clients 1% of his commission for referrals that resulted in a successful sale, buyer or seller listing, when he first started out. It was quick way to build his business.

No PS Vendor has ever approached me and asked/suggested that I recommend one of their diamonds to a poster, or said, "If we sell such and such diamond to that person we''ll send you $XXX."
1.gif

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
It is an interesting practice and there are probably some vendors who have incorporated such a system, but in our experience customers who are truly impressed with the quality of the merchandise that they have purchased and the service that they received will refer their friends, family and associates to us without financial incentive and in doing so provide those people with an honest referral to a reputable company without being paid to do so. If a person is paid to refer somebody to a vendor, they in essence become paid sales people for that company and as such, should not be considered an impartial source of advice. We would much rather have people referred to us by people who truly appreciated our product and service than by people who are paid to send people our way.

TLS

Shiny_Rock
I for one would like to know which vendors are offering this. I want unbiased opinions, and even though I realize nothing is always completely unbiased here I think I would be much less interested in this forum if I knew this was a regular practice. As Corey said I don''t want an opinion influenced by money.

Superidealist

Brilliant_Rock
To clarify, it seemed to me like a "thank you" for the referral rather than payola. It also seemed that the customer decided who got it, not the vendor. Still, if I was offered this (when I have made almost no recommendations) I was wondering if others who make frequent recommendations had received similar offers.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2005 1:46:22 PM
Author: niceice
It is an interesting practice and there are probably some vendors who have incorporated such a system, but in our experience customers who are truly impressed with the quality of the merchandise that they have purchased and the service that they received will refer their friends, family and associates to us without financial incentive and in doing so provide those people with an honest referral to a reputable company without being paid to do so. If a person is paid to refer somebody to a vendor, they in essence become paid sales people for that company and as such, should not be considered an impartial source of advice. We would much rather have people referred to us by people who truly appreciated our product and service than by people who are paid to send people our way.

Well said :}
That attitude is a huge reason your on my top vendor list.
Well awesome diamonds help but customer service and attitude is more important.
Awesome diamonds can be found a lot of places great service and great people are harder to find!

(start joke) that will be $20 please (end joke)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know that, despite being on diamond fora for years, that I am naive about business. Business (like crown angles) doesn''t interest me. I always find it hard to follow who is doing what to whom if it is business, whereas if it is *personal* I zoom right in on the psychodynamics. Even given that I am naive, however, I find it shocking that vendors pay for referrals. It makes sense, in a way, that someone might pay a customer to send a friend to him...but only a personal friend. I wish my local jeweler had believed in doing that...not that I ever sent anyone to him, but I surely recommended him to everyone!

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2005 2:31:13 PM
Author: Superidealist
To clarify, it seemed to me like a ''thank you'' for the referral rather than payola. It also seemed that the customer decided who got it, not the vendor. Still, if I was offered this (when I have made almost no recommendations) I was wondering if others who make frequent recommendations had received similar offers.

I never received such an offer from anyone anywhere.

Deb

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
We do not make any offers or give any kind of reward for forum recommendations.

However, unless the $100 figure is coincidence, there may be confusion regarding an established Whiteflash customer loyalty policy that has nothing to do with Pricescope.

When a new customer makes a purchase and specifically mentions referral by a prior customer (typically a relative, friend or associate) we award a $100 referral fee after the 10-day return period expires. This type of policy is common business practice, intended to build on the goodwill and satisfaction of past customers who – we hope – are showing off their purchases to others. It is also a nod of thanks to original customers as a company builds name recognition.

It involves real names. It is in no way connected to posts on forums, and is not done using internet identities. It was only after reading Leonid''s concerns that I realized perception of abuse could exist in a forum environment like PS, since it was not designed with any of this in mind.

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade

I have just been informed that I can no longer post my website link or make mention of my business name.

Apparently, because of my post on this thread:

Some background:

I operate a Brick & Mortar jewelry store as well as an online store.

I have been quoted (unethically and possibly illegally) in and out of context from private (ha-ha) threads on Polygon (a jeweler’s only forum)

The quotes were from conversations among myself and other B&M operators regarding Pricescope and Internet diamond sellers which sometimes is a very hot topic among B&M stores (duh)

Now imagine, if you will, a strategic meeting or brainstorming about the ‘competition’ type of conversation.

It is very common to use less than complimentary names or nicknames or references for the competition.

Sure, I’m guilty of that, but so is everybody from every business in the world that has discussed competition, etc. in ‘private’ meetings like this.

Regardless of what I have said in private, in my public persona, I have always been very respectful of all venues represented here on PS and have tried to help consumers here on PS where possible.

I of course sense that this post may be my coup de grace.

Let the chips fall where they may.

Brian Knox

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

SI,

That there are possibly PS vendors paying PS members to suggest their company in their consumer posts?

Wow !

Brian:

It puzzles me in your attempt to preserve your professional etiquette you would make such an assumption in the statement above. I have in the past always seen your posts as un-biased but it is obvious you make assumptions in the above statement which are totally without merit to the content of the original poster.

I think in order to maintain in business you surely recognize there is a professional courtesy or code of ethics which should be followed. Your statement just seems like a blatant disregard in making the assumptions you do by posting a misleading statement which adds "fuel to the fire".

Dissappointing...
7.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im a little shocked at this.
Brian Knox has been a very strait shooter on the board and has helped a lot of people.

I hope this is just a simple misunderstanding.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2005 3:54:57 PM
Author: Colored Gemstone Nut

SI,

Wow !

Brian:

It puzzles me in your attempt to preserve your professional etiquette you would make such an assumption in the statement above. I have in the past always seen your posts as un-biased but it is obvious you make assumptions in the above statement which are totally without merit to the content of the original poster.

I think in order to maintain in business you surely recognize there is a professional courtesy or code of ethics which should be followed. Your statement just seems like a blatant disregard in making the assumptions you do by posting a misleading statement which adds 'fuel to the fire'.

Dissappointing...
7.gif

When I first read it i saw it as irony I still do.
There is always a chance that there are some paid folks on boards like this pushing a vendor.
They dont last long but they are around and will be around from time to time.
Thats why it pays on boards like this to talk to multiple people and get multiple opinions.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/5/2005 3:55:57 PM
Author: strmrdr
Im a little shocked at this.
Brian Knox has been a very strait shooter on the board and has helped a lot of people.

I hope this is just a simple misunderstanding.
Storm:

I agree with you about Brian being a straight shooter in the past, but why even "GO THERE"

It is almost antagonistic in a way in order to generate negative feedback or responses which would be made by this mis-leading statement.
15.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/5/2005 3:11:15 PM
Author: JohnQuixote
We do not make any offers or give any kind of reward for forum recommendations.

However, unless the $100 figure is coincidence, there may be confusion regarding an established Whiteflash customer loyalty policy that has nothing to do with Pricescope.

When a new customer makes a purchase and specifically mentions referral by a prior customer (typically a relative, friend or associate) we award a $100 referral fee after the 10-day return period expires. This type of policy is common business practice, intended to build on the goodwill and satisfaction of past customers who – we hope – are showing off their purchases to others. It is also a nod of thanks to original customers as a company builds name recognition.

It involves real names. It is in no way connected to posts on forums, and is not done using internet identities. It was only after reading Leonid''s concerns that I realized perception of abuse could exist in a forum environment like PS, since it was not designed with any of this in mind.
You know what though John... as noble as the intentions are, you have to figure that this will naturally spill onto this forum. After all this is where the majority of people on the net find web vendors. If two dealers were offering a similar diamond for a similar price, human nature tends to refer the vendor who was going to pay me for that referral. Perhaps Todd and I need to rethink the issue?

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Brian is attempting to make himself (and others) feel better about his anti-PS bias. If he were candid about his views while posting here at PS his views would be more welcome.

To badmouth THIS forum on others and then to have his business benefit from PS traffic is not "straight shooting". He happily plays both sides of the fence. He feigns disbelief when he''s not allowed to promote his business here, yet revels with the like minded souls at a forum which bans all non-conforming persons.

PLEASE.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/5/2005 1:46:22 PM
Author: niceice
Exactly how I feel. Well said.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
As far as referrals go, it is a slimy practice. Motivations can always be legitimately be called into question.

Recently I took a call from a friend who wanted me to work for his employer. I already knew that his employer needed a senior person in a role I could easily fill. He was practically begging. I cynically figured that he was in line for a referral bonus if I were hired. His excitement was less about the possibility of working with me and more about the $1000 cash money.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, RA. I obviously couldn't explain it better....

It is against my principles to discuss personal issues on the forum but here it goes:

I'm tired of all this nonsense about paid shills on Pricescope. Integrity of this place is questioned without single evidence of wrong doing. Venom is speeded among consumers and jewelers.

It is beyond my comprehension how a person can use a site to draw business and badmouth it at the same time.

Signing up with your business name and a link to commercial site for free is a privilege – not a right.

I asked Brian not to post the links to his site anymore because I see that some people do not appreciate when I'm trying to be democratic with everyone.

Enough already.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for clarifying Leo. I was baffled when I read that.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Iv said all im going to say about the Brian Knox issue.

On the issue of paying past customers for referrals.
I think its a good idea in the local market but a bad idea on a board like this.
A small thank you gift would be acceptable however in my opinion as a one time per person deal.
A gift is a thank you cash is a buy off.
Its a small distinction but a very large one morally to me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results