shape
carat
color
clarity

1 ct solitaire bought from Ebay - GRA appraised? - possible return?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

prc

Rough_Rock
My fiance and I bought a 1.01 carat diamond engagement ring off Ebay (auction 5081990895) within the past 3 weeks from Aquablueocean. He had a 100% rating and, after talking with him, thought he was legit and offering a good deal. He said he had a verbal rating from a "GIA trained gemologist" that the diamond is a VVS1 to VS1 and a D or E in color and for $65 extra would send the appraisal. We paid the extra and received the appraisal, not by GIA but from the all but unknown GRA or Gemological Rating Laboratory of America, Inc.! He said that he told me that it would be appraised by a "GIA trained gemologist" which was GRA, not GIA. The GRA appraisal says it is a E color VVS1 mounted on white gold ring appraised at $10,800. We have 7 days to request a full refund and are going to take the ring to an independent appraiser Monday. We live in Louisville, KY. Does anyone have any suggestions? We received this ring Tuesday and have paid $3550. It looks nice to our uneducated eyes, but who knows what it really is now! What recourse (if any) do I have through Ebay or in general? Thanks!

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
Sorry to hear it.

It's tough to get things back from ebay or paypal in general. There are many other places on the web that discuss this--for the last few years ebay and paypal have been taking their roles as honest mediators and more specifically contract enforcers less and less seriously.

That said it sounds like you're doing the right thing. Get it appraised IMMEDIATELY and if it isn't very good try to work with the seller to make things right, hopefully for a full refund. It appears that, unfortunately, although his listings are deceptive they are perhaps not inaccurate--he never claimed you'd have a GIA cert or anything of the like. Now of course it's natural given his wording that you'd think you were getting a GIA cert but unfortunately he didn't really tell you that.

Anyway, good luck, hopefully the diamond is great and be careful.

sistagrl2004

Shiny_Rock
I think you will know what you need to do after your appraisal. He does have 100% feedback, but only a score of 72.. so you could just be the first EDUATED person to deal with him. Good Luck and keep us posted.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just doing a quick search here, $3500 can get you a stone of varying cut quality in H, I, or J color and SI1 clarity with EGL certificates. I would be surprised if it turns out better than that. So your decision may be to keep it knowing that you usually get what you pay for (or it could be better or worse than the above examples), or try to return it for a refund.

widget

Ideal_Rock
See what the appraiser says. It''s possible that the diamond is worth what you paid for it. But I think it highly unlikely that his/her estimation of the grades will be as good as those on the "certificate".

If you check the database above, you''ll see that an E, VVS1, 1carat stone should cost considerably more than $3550, and would most likely come with a GIA report already.

If it looks beautiful to you, and the appraiser thinks the price is fair, then you''re probably ok, I guess.

Good luck!
widget

diamondfool

Rough_Rock
Did you pay through paypal using your credit card as the payment? You can file a dispute with your credit card and get your money back that way. I had a really bad experience with ebay when my shipment for a toy was lost. I was not getting any help from the seller so I filed a dispute with my cc company that I used as payment method through paypal and I won. I found ebay and paypal both to be a bit lax on their refund policies. Your cc would be the best way to dispute and get a full refund assuming that the diamond has been misrepresented and that was your method of payment. Good luck. I won''t ever shop ebay again due to my last experience!

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/18/2006 12:07:18 AM
Author: diamondfool
Did you pay through paypal using your credit card as the payment? You can file a dispute with your credit card and get your money back that way. I had a really bad experience with ebay when my shipment for a toy was lost. I was not getting any help from the seller so I filed a dispute with my cc company that I used as payment method through paypal and I won. I found ebay and paypal both to be a bit lax on their refund policies. Your cc would be the best way to dispute and get a full refund assuming that the diamond has been misrepresented and that was your method of payment. Good luck. I won''t ever shop ebay again due to my last experience!

Good point. CC companies are one of the few agents in these transactions that are actually "on your side" and want the money back... which is, of course, why Paypal *really* wants you to register and use your bank account for big transactions since CC companies will stand up to their BS.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/17/2006 10:53:10 PM
Author:prc
My fiance and I bought a 1.01 carat diamond engagement ring off Ebay (auction 5081990895) within the past 3 weeks from Aquablueocean. He had a 100% rating and, after talking with him, thought he was legit and offering a good deal. He said he had a verbal rating from a ''GIA trained gemologist'' that the diamond is a VVS1 to VS1 and a D or E in color and for $65 extra would send the appraisal. We paid the extra and received the appraisal, not by GIA but from the all but unknown GRA or Gemological Rating Laboratory of America, Inc.! He said that he told me that it would be appraised by a ''GIA trained gemologist'' which was GRA, not GIA. The GRA appraisal says it is a E color VVS1 mounted on white gold ring appraised at $10,800. We have 7 days to request a full refund and are going to take the ring to an independent appraiser Monday. We live in Louisville, KY. Does anyone have any suggestions? We received this ring Tuesday and have paid $3550. It looks nice to our uneducated eyes, but who knows what it really is now! What recourse (if any) do I have through Ebay or in general? Thanks!
send it back now!!! before it''s too late. don''t even waste your money with the appraiser
38.gif
there''s no chance the stone is a E VVS1.not for $3550.

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
Did you read their feedback? I looked up the ring and feedback here:
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=aquablueocean

Two people left neutrals this month stating that the ring was overappraised or not what the seller claimed. They also left retaliatory NEGATIVES to those two buyers. never buy on ebay without studying the feedback. Especially with a large purchase like this. There are no diamond "deals."

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
Btw, here is the link to the ring:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5081990895&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fws%2Fsearch%2FSaleSearch%3Fsofocus%3Dbs%26satitle%3D5081990895%26sacat%3D-1%2526catref%253DC5%26fbd%3D1%26amp%253Bsspagename%3Dh%253Ah%253Aadvsearch%253AUS%26from%3DR6%26nojspr%3Dy%26fscl%3D1%26pfid%3D0%26fswc%3D1%26few%3D%26saprclo%3D%26saprchi%3D%26fss%3D0%26saslop%3D1%26sasl%3D%26fls%3D4%2526floc%253D1%26sargn%3D-1%2526saslc%253D0%26salic%3D1%26saatc%3D1%26sadis%3D200%26fpos%3D33510%26fsct%3D%26sacur%3D0%26sacqyop%3Dge%26sacqy%3D%26ftrt%3D1%26ftrv%3D1%26sabdlo%3D%26sabdhi%3D%26fsop%3D1%2526fsoo%253D1%26fcl%3D3%26frpp%3D50%26fvi%3D1

here is the feedback they left others:
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedbackMemberLeft&memberid=aquablueocean&items=-1&item=-1&de=off

here are some of the feedback people left for this seller (first two are neutrals, bottom two are lukewarm postives)

Diamond wasnt up to par, but did everything they could to fix my problem

Ring was nice but over appraised by seller

clarity not as expected.super fast refund.will buy from seller again. A+A+

Item less than described and represented, but still a very good deal!

Bottom line: run screaming.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally agree with whoever said STUDY FEEDBACK CAREFULLY! There is no possibility I would have bought from a seller with this feedback! You have to consider that if there are some negatives that are a concern, there probably would be more except there is a problem with posting negative feedback...they will likely post a negative on yours as well. I have bought many things off ebay and have never had a bad experience. But I don't buy expensive jewelry off ebay.

I also would return the ring before paying for an appraisal. I prefer getting a stone from a reliable vendor where I can view it and return it with no problem if I am not satisfied. When you get your refund, look back on this site for a nice long list of good diamond sources under Resources.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2006 1:38:29 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
Date: 2/17/2006 10:53:10 PM

Author:prc

My fiance and I bought a 1.01 carat diamond engagement ring off Ebay (auction 5081990895) within the past 3 weeks from Aquablueocean. He had a 100% rating and, after talking with him, thought he was legit and offering a good deal. He said he had a verbal rating from a ''GIA trained gemologist'' that the diamond is a VVS1 to VS1 and a D or E in color and for $65 extra would send the appraisal. We paid the extra and received the appraisal, not by GIA but from the all but unknown GRA or Gemological Rating Laboratory of America, Inc.! He said that he told me that it would be appraised by a ''GIA trained gemologist'' which was GRA, not GIA. The GRA appraisal says it is a E color VVS1 mounted on white gold ring appraised at $10,800. We have 7 days to request a full refund and are going to take the ring to an independent appraiser Monday. We live in Louisville, KY. Does anyone have any suggestions? We received this ring Tuesday and have paid $3550. It looks nice to our uneducated eyes, but who knows what it really is now! What recourse (if any) do I have through Ebay or in general? Thanks!
send it back now!!! before it''s too late. don''t even waste your money with the appraiser
38.gif
there''s no chance the stone is a E VVS1.not for $3550.

I agree with DF. I wouldn''t spend any more $$ on and appraiser. I send it back for a refund
1.gif

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Is there a particular jewelry store you were thinking of having it set at? The first thing I''d do in your position, would be to take it there and ask them what their opinion is. If they ask where you got it, tell them you got it at an auction and it seemed like an incredible deal. If they ask what you paid for it, tell them you''d rather get their opinion first, because you just really want to hear what they think and then you can decide if you got a good deal or not. If you tell them how much you paid, they may either try to sell you something out of their stock and tell you you have garbage, or they may be afraid to tell you anything you might perceive as negative because they would ruin the diamond for you and/or possibly lose a sale on a ring.

In fact, I might take it to several stores. If they all tell you about the same thing you will have something to go by, as to whether to go through with the appraisal or to send it back immediately.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buying from a private party it may be possible to get such a thing close to half its retail price (although, perhaps not for such high grades, but this is another issue altogether), but from a retailer... not. It is a silly joke to overstate grades and make the price sounds good. I would guess that what you have got maybe replaceable for about as much once graded without bias.

The way the presented the appraisal is literally correct - that ''GIA trained gemologist'' is not the same as GIA. Btw, GIA does not issue appraisals anyway. However, the correct grammar does not change the facts.

On the other hand, if the stone looks good to you, it probably means that J/SI is OK. You should be able to tell E from J with such diamonds shown side by side, but without reference and the stones set, it is harder than the price difference between these grades suggest. Chances are no inclusions are visible SI1 and above without careful inspection (and a jeweler''s 10x loupe), so ... I wouldn''t expect SI to ''jump at you''.

Too bad there was the second guessing about the grades. If the appeal of this purchase was the status as an E/VVS ''bargain''
8.gif
RUN. If it is worth the money for what it is, an independent appraiser could help - as the shop hired one to sign that ''appraisal'' you can also hire another to tell you what you''ve got.
31.gif
Unfortunately, any kind of expert knowledge can cut both ways... it is a matter of choosing the appraiser
32.gif

What would I do... well, wouldn''t have bought anything at 1/3 of ''shelf price'' without being able to tell myself what is what. Either have some expert advice refute the worst fears (is it CZ?, is it a bad cut? what are the real grades? etc.) or ... return the thing. It may not be feasible to get 1 carat E/VVS for the same money, but I really doubt this is what you have got anyway.

My 2c

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don''t take it to a jewelry store and ask - they have an interest in telling you it is bad; and a lot of jewelry store clerks are not that knowlegable.

Take it to a local independent appraiser right away - or send it back immediately. Those are your only two choices.

The chance that you have something decent is not good.

Perry

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
I would send it back. The listing says that it is a 1.01, but it says that the stone is approximately 6mm across. You are getting a 1 carat that faces up like a stone less than a carat. I also don''t trust the seller from the feedback. Buyers left neutral feedback that was what seemed to be honest and level headed. The seller left retalitory, negative, inflamitory feedback for the buyers. Yikes!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2006 2:05:46 PM
Author: perry
Don't take it to a jewelry store and ask - they have an interest in telling you it is bad; and a lot of jewelry store clerks are not that knowlegable.
I humbly beg to differ. Obviously, be careful where you take it. If you go to a reputable B&M -- not a chain -- and they will stand a good chance of selling you a ring to set it in, I think you would get an honest opinion. I have taken my pear, which I got on line, to several stores when looking for a mounting, and no one told me it was a bad stone in hopes of selling me something else. However, I do agree that you need to take it to someone who is very honest and forthright as well as knowledgable. And if you take it to several stores you will soon get an idea if someone is telling you it's bad just to get you to buy a diamond from them. And ask for the owner to look at it, not a clerk. I think Perry's right about the knowledge of the average jewelry sales clerk.

I think I personally would want my curiousity satisfied before I returned the stone. It probably is not as good as stated, but it still might be good for the money. I can't see where it would hurt to get a few opinions. And it may be a very good idea for you to develop a good relationship with a local jeweler anyway if you intend to buy and have your ring serviced by one.

JMHO. I'm not an expert.

Oh, and by the way. I took a look at the picture of it and it looks pretty. Does it look like the picture?

Cookiesmommy

Rough_Rock
Oh gosh I could really use your help! I''ve been dealing with Aquablueocean and I haven''t been able to get a refund of $2,717.00. This is what happened...

I purchased a diamond from Max Martinez of AquablueOcean via E-bay. The ring that I bid on was advertised as a
Diamond Solitaire Ring
1.53 Carats
Clarity: VS1 - VS2
Color: F
Supposed Appraised Value = $17,450
I won the bid on 3/13 the item number was 8913576346. At that time the seller had a 99% positive feedback score on EBAY with a history of 80 buyers. I sent a Cashiers Check on 3/16 via Express Mail (Overnight) because he did not accept PayPal. However, with his excellent feedback score I wasn''t worried. He also offered a 7 day money back guarantee. His policy stated that he would ship the diamond upon receipt of the payment and it would be received within 3-4 days.
When I hadn''t received the ring after 5 days I e-mailed him and asked him what happened to the ring and he said it was still sitting in his vault. He said he thought I sent him a personal check and he was giving the check 10 days to clear. That sounded suspect to me because I indicated that my payment was via Cashiers check on the Ebay payment form and we talked the day that I overnighted the Cashiers check. When I told him that I was sending a Cashiers check via Express mail he said he would send the ring out the next day and I would probably receive it the next day since we only lived one hour from each other. I e-mailed him again on the 6th day to ask him if he had sent the ring or, was it still sitting in his vault and he e-mailed back that it was still sitting in his vault and he would try to send it out ASAP. At this point I was beginning to wonder if he had the item that he sold me. I asked him to overnight the ring.

The ring didn''t arrive until 3/24 (after several e-mails asking what happened to the ring). When the ring arrived it looked very small. What I thought I was buying ( from the advertisement on Ebay) was a 1.53 carat round diamond Clarity = VS Color = F Appraised Value = $17,450. When I received the ring it looked very small and didn''t look real so I immediately took it to a Certified Gemologist. The ring was appraised and it verified the following:
Carat = 1.03 (not 1.53)
Clarity = I-1 NOT VS
Color = J (not F)
Replacement Value $2,618.58.
BUT, most people wouln''t pay $500 for the ring because it had been fracture filled (meaning enhanced). Making the value of the diamond meaningless. When I wrote the seller telling him what I was sent he said it was because I rushed him. (my fault of course) and he sent me the wrong ring. He advertised a 7 day refund policy, so I immediately sent the ring back via Express mail.

He wanted to send me another ring, but, because of all the negative feedback that he was now receiving on the site I asked for the refund, which he said he would send within one week. But, he never refunded my money. I went through the EBAY -Item not as described process- and he just kept delaying the refund. He asked me to go through another dispute process on Squaretrade, I asked him to refund my money and to stop delaying the refund. When I went through the Ebay Trust and Safety dispute process he said he would send the money back in one week only if I closed the dispute. I didn''t because I didn''t trust this seller. Another person said it took 3 months to get their money back from this seller ( and that was only for $300.00). At one point, he sent me an email saying he was not sending me the check because he said " who knows...I could have sent him a differnet ring". At that point, I started to call the police department and started to notify the fraud bureaus. I kept e-mailing EBAY asking them why they were allowing him to continue selling on EBAY and it looks like maybe the call from the DA''s office finally shut him down. He''s no longer selling on EBAY as of 4/13. But, I still don''t have my money back. EBAY won''t give me any information about him. He''s made his feedback private, so, I can''t contact the other buyers that are unhappy with their purchases. However, 2 people have already contacted me telling me that they are in the same position that I am. His address appears to be a PO box according to the deputy''s that I''ve talked to. He won''t return his phone calls and will probably shut off that phone soon. There are a number of other buyers that have had the same problem with this seller and normally the list of buyers is open to the public on EBAY, but, the list is private now. And if the DA''s office hadn''t made that phone call to EBAY he would still be selling on the site. How does this process stop? And, how do I get my $2,717.00 back? It looks like the DA is willing to file criminal charges, but, how do I find all of the other people who have been cheated by him? Why didn''t Ebay stop this guy a long time ago? It sounds like he''s been doing this for quite some time. Someone please help me.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
cookiesmommy, there is another long thread that goes into great detail about the horrible time prc had getting her money back from that seller. Do a search in the search box for "1 ct solitaire Ebay Saga Update" for a lot more information about what prc had to go through.

I''m sorry I don''t have any specific suggestions for getting your money back. You seem to have the police involved and perhaps this is the right way to proceed.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
cookiesmommy, I am so sorry you''re going through this. Jelly is right PRC recently had an ebay ordeal. A bunch of the experts chimed in on her thread. You might check it out and see if their advice can help you. also, you might consider starting a new thread. PRC was finally able to get a refund so some might not check her threads any longer.

to read about here experience click here

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results