shape
carat
color
clarity

1.20 carat round Ideal I Si1

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
My friend is looking at a 1.20 carat round Ideal cut (GIA graded) diamond that is I Si1 for $3710, This seems like a very good price. he does not have the other specs, (angles girdle and culet etc.) Based on this info, would you buy it? It is from Salvatoreandco.com in NYC.
It seems like a great deal, much less than other diamonds when I did a pricescope search.

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
It does seem like a great deal, almost too good to be true. Most 1.2 ideals I''ve seen run in the $5k range.

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
That was my first reaction. I bought my .91 carat superbcert for $3500. Is there that much of a difference between a GIA ideal and a hearts and arrows superideal? The hearts and arrows symmetry was important to me. It has been a while since I got mine- but I would like to give him good advice.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i would want much much more information on the diamond and the seller and the return policy on that one.

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
Hey there-
There is a 30 day money back guarantee, and the fiance to be''s supervisors at one of the top accounting firms in NYC recommend it highly. Do jewelers ever give big discounts? She was sent by some of the higher ups at her firm.

Is it just a really good price or suspiciously good?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
very suspiciously good. that price is 1k less than the least expensive virtual stone available with the same general specs. i would procede with caution and get more information.

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Given that info, the jeweler may just be doing it because of who sent her. Its really unusual that a jeweler would have a price lower than the internet dealers, though I did mine from a local jeweler at a good price. In fact, mine is an AGS000 .83 ct. with almost the same color/clarity for almost exactly $1000 less and all the 1 ct. ideals I looked at were around 4k and 1.2 cts were around 5k. So, if its legit, its a really good deal. Have you or your friend seen it?

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
They looked at it in person, but have not gotten it appraised. I am gently urging them to do so.
On top of that amazing price, the jeweler is putting it on layaway for a couple of months for them until they have enough $$ to pay for it.

It just struck me as a little odd, but who knows!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
How old is the cert? Is it a 2006 one? I assume it must be if it is a GIA ideal. Or is the jeweler just telling them that it''s ideal?

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Well mine is H/S1, at 1.27 at it was mid 6k, so I''m thinking that it sounds like a really, really low price for an I/S1. But maybe the person is getting some sort of special price? Definitely encourage them to have it appraised, and maybe if possible, have they looked at it in person? How does it look?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2006 1:59:03 PM
Author: allycat0303
Well mine is H/S1, at 1.27 at it was mid 6k, so I''m thinking that it sounds like a really, really low price for an I/S1.
Right......and Allycat''s purchase was made a year ago now, too. Prices have increased since then, so it''s even more of a gap.

I''d tread really carefully.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Alarm. Huge alarm.

Such pricing is not suspiciously low, it is impossibly low.

It well be worth this price, but then it is not ideal cut and/or not I and/or not SI1. Even considering that the referal might be from the tax inspector of the jeweler.

Live long,

solange

Brilliant_Rock
You are in a difficult position. It seems obvious that it is unlikely that this stone iis as specified at that price. Before i found Pricescope I went to several jewelers rcommended as "the best'' by friends who buy a lot of jewelry there and have been shocked by what they have shown me.Many people have no idea of what they are buying when it comes to diamonds and just believe what the dealer tells them. Some of my friends trust their jewelers so much that they do not even get an appraisal and use the bill they get from the jeweler for insurance purposes.

Very few people are as educated as Pricescope consumers--I certainly knew much less before I found this site--and the ring may look great to them and the size is large for this low price.

It is admirable that you have tried to help them but they may want to believe that they have found a rare bargain through their contacts, which, of course, is unlikely especially since this vendor is willing to hold this bargain for them until they have the money available.

You have done your best to enlighten them but they may prefer a larger stone at a price they can afford and may be willing to compromise on other factors. I am sure there are many people who would prefer a larger, inferior stone to a smaller and better one.

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
Hi again-
Apparently it is not a "special" price. They asked how much it was and he looked at a chart and gave them that price. My friend agrees it is a little suspicious but his fiance-to-be doesn't really care that much. That is probably the biggest stone you could get for under $4K. They said the inclusions were off to the side. I asked him to call to get a copy of the gia certificate. If i can get that from him, I will post it and we can analyze it.

I do really miss diamond shopping. ;-)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2006 12:07:25 PM
Author:pinkflamingo
My friend is looking at a 1.20 carat round Ideal cut (GIA graded) diamond that is I Si1 for $3710, This seems like a very good price. he does not have the other specs, (angles girdle and culet etc.) Based on this info, would you buy it? It is from Salvatoreandco.com in NYC.
It seems like a great deal, much less than other diamonds when I did a pricescope search.
who wants to bet that this stone was graded by a GIA graduate NOT GIA LAB. be careful!!! too good to be true.
38.gif
i never understand why people think they can buy fillet migion for hamburger price.
33.gif

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
who wants to bet that this stone was graded by a GIA graduate NOT GIA LAB

So the way to tell is that it would not come with the GIA certificate (the nice embossed one?) Just an appraisal?

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
Got the specs!!
Here you go....

Is this stone worth it?
It is on the Gia cert site. I checked it.

measurements, 6.57-6.60x 4.43 mm
I SI2
Depth 65.8
Table 58%
Girdle- thick to very thick
polish good
symmetry very good
no flourescence

crown angle 37.5
crown height 16
pavilion angle 41.4
pavilion depth 44
star length 55 (What is that?)
lower half 80% (what is that?)
cut grade good

Obviously not what I would choose. But is this the biggest stone you could find for the price? is a deal?

**Tiffany**

Rough_Rock
No this is not a deal IMHO. I am not an expert by any means. Yes this stone is a large weight for a low price but it will look like it is. It has a smaller diameter than ideal stones of this size so it will look smaller and because of the cut it will not be as sparkly. There is a reason for the low price. If I were in this position I would want a smaller stone with a great cut.
I put the nubers into the Cut adviser and the results:

Light Return: Good
Fire: Good
Scintillation: Good
Spread: Fair

Score 4.7 Good only if price is the main criterion

I would advise against this purchase.

Hope this helps

Gemguy

Rough_Rock
Hi there:)

I do not think this is a real 1.20 i color si1 clarity price for GIA reported stone!!!!
I assume the stone your friend is looking is non certed, or one of this non value report( you are buying it according to jeweler's opinion)
it could very well be j- L color si2 -i 1 clarity , No dealer would sell their stnoe any lover than market value!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So if you understand what I am trying to tell you. good luck
emsmile.gif

Gem Sezgin

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would run far away from this diamond in my honest opinion, it is far too deep and with the thick girdle will look smaller than it should, about the same size as a carat diamond, they will lose the look of the 20 extra points, so no it won't look it's size
8.gif
. I don't like the crown and pavillion angles either, they can do much better, this isn't a deal. Better off spending the money on a smaller diamond which is well cut, also carat weight doesn't necessarily show as size, the diameter measurements are a better guide. The price also seems very low for a true GIA graded diamond of this size, but maybe this couple aren't bothered about a good cut and the carat weight, regardless of how it is distributed, and they think this diamond is a deal is more important to them.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2006 2:08:00 PM
Author: Lorelei
I would run far away from this diamond in my honest opinion, it is far too deep and with the thick girdle will look smaller than it should, about the same size as a carat diamond, they will lose the look of the 20 extra points, so no it won''t look it''s size
8.gif
. I don''t like the crown and pavillion angles either, they can do much better, this isn''t a deal. Better off spending the money on a smaller diamond which is well cut, also carat weight doesn''t necessarily show as size, the diameter measurements are a better guide. The price also seems very low for a true GIA graded diamond of this size, but maybe this couple aren''t bothered about a good cut and the carat weight, regardless of how it is distributed, and they think this diamond is a deal is more important to them.

ditto everything lorelei said.

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
I just noticed that the jeweler said the stone was a SI1 but the gia cert says si2!

Craziness! it is like used car shopping with some of these dealers!

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Also...not all SI stones are created equal! I''ve seen some terrible looking SI stones with inclusions that you can see very easily. One of these was a GIA graded princess and another was an AGS round. Granted these were at mall stores and the sales people told me there was no such thing as eyeclean SIs! Hah!
38.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2006 7:45:19 PM
Author: pinkflamingo
I just noticed that the jeweler said the stone was a SI1 but the gia cert says si2!

Craziness! it is like used car shopping with some of these dealers!
and cut deeper than the grand canyon.
38.gif

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
sorry to bring this up, but the gia report also mentions Additional clouds are not shown. laser grooves are not shown.

What does this mean?

I am in a really difficult position because my friend is concerned about buying the ring. his fiance is mad and thinks he just wants to buy her a "smaller" rock. I told him to buy what makes her most happy but I think she is going to be mighty disappointed once she gets this rock out of the halogen lighting at the store.

14.gif

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
oh, it is an I Si2, not Si1.
They saw it in person, but couldn''t see the inclusions. it has no fluorescence and they are planning on setting it in platinum. I have a J stone, and I am no "color snob" but mine is also a superbcert with med blue fluorescence. will this poorly cut stone look yellow?

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Not everyone values a great cut, or an icy white diamond, etc. Some people just like the biggest diamond they can get and there is nothing wrong with that. This does mean that the other 3 Cs will have to sacrificed. If the GF wants as big a diamond as possible and doesnt'' care about other factors, than maybe that is what your friend should consider. I wouldn''t choose this one though.

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
she doesn''t seem to understand that even though it has a larger carat weight, it will look the same size (diameter) as a well cut carat.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seeing the word laser makes me wonder if this diamond has been treated......That is one good thing that they can''t see inclusions if there is doubt on the grading lab, but regarding the colour it might not look all that hot as it obviously isn''t the greatest cut either, it might not look yellow possibly but maybe a little off somehow. PF, if they have made their minds up to buy it there is little you can do, hopefully they won''t come to regret their choice later - I suppose there are many more happy owners of poorly cut diamonds out there than we realise, they just don''t realise how good it could be unfortunately and as they don''t, they are happy to settle for less, which if that makes them happy then fair enough. You have done all you can.

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
oh, I totally agree.
see, my friend is not happy about buying this diamond. so, it is a tricky situation for him, because he doesn''t want to upgrade. he is a teacher and has a very limited budget. i refuse to get anymore involved... i dont want to get in the middle of this. i think they are still "fighting" it out.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results