shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to source a clasp for a new pearl strand?

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I bought this strand from PP during one of their live streams - 7.5-8 mm high AAA to Gem light "kizu" natural white. I should be receiving it in a day or 2. I also bought the
8.0-8.5 mm Gem grade natural white akoya pair that I'm hoping to set in dangle earrings. If I like what I see, then I need to think about a clasp for the strand and a setting for the earrings. Where can I source clasps other than Stuller? Just Googling I see the same style of clasps over and over. I think I want yellow gold but I'm not sure how that would work with the Natural White of the pearls. And if the pearls are 7.5 - 8mm, then what size of clasp? Any ideas where to look for some inspiration ?

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Well, the pearl strand and the the loose pair are going back. They are gorgeous but I now know I like my pearls a bit larger. They were not cheap and if I kept them them I'd be mad I didn't get what I truly wanted. I think 9-10mm is my sweet spot. Good luck with that huh, haha!!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Good thing you realized that when you could still send them back! That would be too small for me, too. Especially the strand.

As far as clasps, I'm replacing all of mine with ones like in the link below. The reason is, especially with yellow gold, the gimp turns black too quickly. So I'm switching over to "gimpless" clasps.

These clasps are smaller than the ones I'm used to but I think they look just fine. With the gimpless clasps and PowerPro thread (which is actually fishing line, "moss" color in this case), I might never have to get them re-strung again.

I'm going with the smaller clasps because they're under $100 in 14k, and I can't find any larger ones that don't need gimp that cost less than a few hundred dollars.

The ripple pearls in the pics below are 10-12mm or something like that. Please excuse the little gap between the clasp and pearl on the left. That pearl has a little bump on it so the clasp doesn't sit quite right.

rippleclasp1.jpg

rippleclasp2.jpg

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Good thing you realized that when you could still send them back! That would be too small for me, too. Especially the strand.

As far as clasps, I'm replacing all of mine with ones like in the link below. The reason is, especially with yellow gold, the gimp turns black too quickly. So I'm switching over to "gimpless" clasps.

These clasps are smaller than the ones I'm used to but I think they look just fine. With the gimpless clasps and PowerPro thread (which is actually fishing line, "moss" color in this case), I might never have to get them re-strung again.

I'm going with the smaller clasps because they're under $100 in 14k, and I can't find any larger ones that don't need gimp that cost less than a few hundred dollars.

The ripple pearls in the pics below are 10-12mm or something like that. Please excuse the little gap between the clasp and pearl on the left. That pearl has a little bump on it so the clasp doesn't sit quite right.

rippleclasp1.jpg

rippleclasp2.jpg

thanks for the good info - I'm really ignorant about clasps, not knowing good from bad. I have many pic saved but need to figure this out so I'm ready when I find a strand I really like. I have seen some vintage clasps I love, but omg, the $$$ !

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results