carat
color
clarity

Ruby options

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all,
My daughter is due in July and I'd like a ruby piece. I posted in antique/vintage, but have now expanded my search to loose rubies so wanted to post here.

If it's a loose stone budget is minimal (1800 max). But I'm ok with small + mighty, and heat/residue doesn't bother me as long as the price reflects it.

Options:

1. Screenshot_20240514_162349_Chrome.jpg

2. Screenshot_20240515_071446_Chrome.jpg

3. Screenshot_20240515_071657_Chrome.jpg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for 2 though I quite like 1 as well. Idk if you have a preference for pink bc these are quite pink (some people want red, which is harder to find! And generally more costly).

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was also eye balling that Yavorsky one so I would go with that!

I would like a ruby one day bc its my husband's birth stone. I've been casually looking for a while but the prices are so high and the material often poor. Like Mreader mentioned, I would like a red-red, rather than a pink, but that seems impossible to find in the price range you/I would want.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
PS: I would also ask Yvonne what she could source. She might find the perfect thing for you! And she is fast so no waiting around. I haven't done that yet bc I'm not ready to buy (next year). But I will do that when the time comes.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for 2 though I quite like 1 as well. Idk if you have a preference for pink bc these are quite pink (some people want red, which is harder to find! And generally more costly).

I prefer pink/red I think because of my propensity to the more neon tones. The overly red red I like is $$$$$$$ and just not affordable/attainable

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I was also eye balling that Yavorsky one so I would go with that!

I would like a ruby one day bc its my husband's birth stone. I've been casually looking for a while but the prices are so high and the material often poor. Like Mreader mentioned, I would like a red-red, rather than a pink, but that seems impossible to find in the price range you/I would want.

It’s funny both of you are talking about this because my son is a July baby and I’ve always wanted a ruby to represent him as well. I’ve only looked casually not seriously, and as you all said, our true red is so hard to find on a budget. I have a pink purple ruby ring that I really love but I don’t think of it as representing my kid. So maybe one day!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It’s funny both of you are talking about this because my son is a July baby and I’ve always wanted a ruby to represent him as well. I’ve only looked casually not seriously, and as you all said, our true red is so hard to find on a budget. I have a pink purple ruby ring that I really love but I don’t think of it as representing my kid. So maybe one day!

Yes I feel like that too about the color. I have some amazing pink sapphires that are somewhere between the color of 1 and 2 that lovedogs posted, but they don't scream RUBY at me. And I kind of want that. I have considered lab ruby on and off too over the years, but it isn't giving me the feeling I want. @lovedogs how do you feel about the color you are after for this project?

I would love to find a vintage ruby. But it feels like a minefield compared to buying old cut diamonds!

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have a better picture or #3?

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
2 looks lovely on photo and based on that is my favourite, too. However, I've noticed with other gems offered by Yavorskyy that the colour varies greatly between photo and video, so I'm not sure how colour accurate the website photos are.

What do you want most in a ruby? Do you have a strong preference for the colour? I'll keep an eye out when browsing.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny thing happened today. I remembered that my grandma left me a ruby ring that I was trying to sell bc it's tiny and I thought I'd never wear it.

I have it and 2 loose royal asscher diamonds that I might make into a new piece vs paying for a new loose ruby (although i adore the color of option 2)

Crappy closet lighting
20240515_082539.jpg 20240515_082026.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2 looks lovely on photo and based on that is my favourite, too. However, I've noticed with other gems offered by Yavorskyy that the colour varies greatly between photo and video, so I'm not sure how colour accurate the website photos are.

What do you want most in a ruby? Do you have a strong preference for the colour? I'll keep an eye out when browsing.

He posted a video and it looks similar, which is why I wss hopeful.

No strong preference except that it nor go black or overwork. I'd prefer more pink if it'll keep it lighter indoors

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Funny thing happened today. I remembered that my grandma left me a ruby ring that I was trying to sell bc it's tiny and I thought I'd never wear it.

I have it and 2 loose royal asscher diamonds that I might make into a new piece vs paying for a new loose ruby (although i adore the color of option 2)

Crappy closet lighting
20240515_082539.jpg 20240515_082026.jpg

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush! I would 100% do this! The color looks pretty, too. How does it look in the sun?

Well didn't that work out nicely for you! It has generational/sentimental value, which you can't beat, and now you'll save a few bucks. I call that a win-win. Big congrats on your impending wee one!!
baby2.gif

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush! I would 100% do this! The color looks pretty, too. How does it look in the sun?

I'll take outdoor pics asap. Logically I know I should just use what I have. But my brain/heart are a little stuck on option 2 for some reason.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'll take outdoor pics asap. Logically I know I should just use what I have. But my brain/heart are a little stuck on option 2 for some reason.

Oh I totally get that! I feel the same about my engagement sapphire. Do you have sentimental attachment or memories associated with grandmas Ruby? Would putting the saved money towards a truly outstanding setting be attractive?

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
But my brain/heart are a little stuck on option 2 for some reason.

Well, you have the budget... would it break the bank to get it nonetheless? If you love it, you love it. Just because you already have one ruby, doesn't mean you can't have two rubies... :P2

For the record, I think grandma's ring is really pretty.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I totally get that! I feel the same about my engagement sapphire. Do you have sentimental attachment or memories associated with grandmas Ruby? Would putting the saved money towards a truly outstanding setting be attractive?

It's actually the opposite. My (step) grandmother was.. ... not a nice person. So if anything I'd rather not keep pieces of hers unless I truly love them.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's actually the opposite. My (step) grandmother was.. ... not a nice person. So if anything I'd rather not keep pieces of hers unless I truly love them.

Plan B then!

I still like the asshers as side stones. For a new, pure stone.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I like #2 for color.
I like #1 for shape.
Both are really nice.

The royal asschers, of course!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It has a nice glow and I like the color. Any idea about treatment? What is it, about 4mm?

Maybe a little ceremony to exorcise the bad juju is in order?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It has a nice glow and I like the color. Any idea about treatment? What is it, about 4mm?

Maybe a little ceremony to exorcise the bad juju is in order?

I'll look at rhe appraisal doc I have from when I got it, but maybe 5mm?

I wish it were actually this pink/red. It's definitely more red-red (which again I think might be a more popular preference, but I prefer a tad lighter). I do like it though...but I don't LOVE it. And that's where I'm stuck. I might ask DK to make some mock ups of what my option #2 w royal asscher sides might look like vs this center stone with the RA sides. I think that would help me decide.

And of course there's always the option to say "F it" and buy a lab ruby from finrwater or other expert cutter. That would mean perfect size, cut, and color but obviously not a natural stone (which I likely don't care about if I'm honest)

Reactions: KLC

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'll look at rhe appraisal doc I have from when I got it, but maybe 5mm?

I wish it were actually this pink/red. It's definitely more red-red (which again I think might be a more popular preference, but I prefer a tad lighter). I do like it though...but I don't LOVE it. And that's where I'm stuck. I might ask DK to make some mock ups of what my option #2 w royal asscher sides might look like vs this center stone with the RA sides. I think that would help me decide.

And of course there's always the option to say "F it" and buy a lab ruby from finrwater or other expert cutter. That would mean perfect size, cut, and color but obviously not a natural stone (which I likely don't care about if I'm honest)

Yes this is the same kind of treadmill I am running on! lol.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't read any reponses.
To me, #3 is the only one that looks like a ruby.
#1&2 look like pink sapphires, even if the seller calls them ruby.

Also I'd not buy a ruby without an AGL Prestige Grading Report that calls it a ruby that is mined and untreated.
I realize that means the lowest carat weight for all the stones that are advertised as ruby, but that's just how I roll.
So if I wanted what is indisputably a ruby, I'd buy #3 with said Prestige Report.

But, as always, buy what you prefer.
All three are beautiful stones.

Last edited:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have to be the one that loves it so take or leave whatever I have to say, lol. I much prefer a ruby to be a ruby, i.e.; not a pink sapphire looking stone. Of the 3 you posted I like #3 best. My ruby is small but mighty and packs quite a punch because it just glows. I would find the nicest one I could for my budget even if it is small. I love the idea of your Royal Asschers as side stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results