shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help on this 6.44 round diamond

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
I believe if I choose not to pay for my winning lot they will flag my profile on that platform for future biddings etc

We are talking about $42,000. It would be worth it to me to cancel. Do not buy this. We can find you something better. Who cares if they never let you bid again? They are selling sub-standard items and lying to you about how nice they are.

Can anyone find the thread of the lady who was about to buy a terrible 7 carat diamond, and she followed recommendations to contact White Flash, and they found her something much more beautiful at a very similar size? I’m looking but can’t remember enough to search efficiently for it.

Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
...and maybe in the future resell/upgrade it

Edit: missed this part. If resale is part of the calculation, then this ain't the one. As a rando, you would struggle to sell a commoditized ideal-cut with a good report. But a rando selling a white elephant is a sure-fire no-go, imo. Plus, any time we see something for sale, the first thing we ask ourselves is, "What's wrong with it...?" "Why is someone parting with this treasure?" In this case, the answer is (too) obvious.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I recognize this ring. It's from an establish auction house. I think you are contractually required to go through with this purchase.

If you NOT able to cancel the sale, I would just enjoy it. It's huge look for the money.

It's definitely a better buy than this I1:

The truth is that you paid a fair price for the ring w/ jacket. Generally speaking, I believe that I1s are not great candidates for recuts due to possible structural issues. But, in the future if you want to consult with SW to recut perhaps they can run some tests to see if the stone is a candidate.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would pretty much do anything to avoid paying 42k for that. It just isn't attractive and y0u won't be able to resell it.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK - so here's the dissenting voice....

I love big diamonds. Love 'em! And with a diamond of this size, you have a LOT of diamond to work with! I'd send it off to Brian Gavin Diamonds and ask them to re-cut it. If the inclusions are white, or work with the faceting, then they wouldn't really bother me for the price. Is it GIA certified? Or is that J color somebody's best guess?

Big, well cut, J colored diamonds are gorgeous. And I'm not quite sure where people think you'd be able to find a diamond of this size for cheaper. You could recut it for something in the range of 2.5-3k (IF it can be recut - that's the one proviso) - and IF it really is a J, and so long as we're talking crystals, feathers, pinpoints, flea bites etc and NOT clouds (because if it's full of clouds, there's not one thing you can do to make it sparkle) - then, personally, I'd be THRILLED to own it and I'd be flaunting that thing all over town in a heartbeat!

I've owned an I1 diamond that had one, very obvious, inclusion that I stuck under a prong and never saw again for the entire time I owned it. And I've owned a VS2 with a tiny mushy, cloudy patch that sent me mad and made me sell it in the end. It *really depends* on where the inclusions are.

So this could either have a very unahppy conclusion - or a very happy conclusion! And I'm an optimist. ::) And, let's face it, if you do nothing at all to improve it, you're still going to have the biggest diamond ring in pretty much anyone's social circle - so - yay you!

Good luck!

ETA And I don't believe you'd be unable to re-sell it.

Last edited:

ACDC

Rough_Rock
It says it’s a Property from the Cecilia G. 'Costa Trust ..that’s why it became auctioned
I’m here for professional advice/help because I started second guessing/questioning it after
Im very thankful for all your help!

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
It says it’s a Property from the Cecilia G. 'Costa Trust ..that’s why it became auctioned
I’m here for professional advice/help because I started second guessing/questioning it after
My first choice would be to cancel, but if you can’t, 100% agree you should seek a recut with Southwest or Brian Gavin.

freddyboston

Rough_Rock

Auction estimate was 20-30K
1716048062426.png

ACDC

Rough_Rock

I love big diamonds. Love 'em! And with a diamond of this size, you have a LOT of diamond to work with! I'd send it off to Brian Gavin Diamonds and ask them to re-cut it. If the inclusions are white, or work with the faceting, then they wouldn't really bother me for the price. Is it GIA certified? Or is that J color somebody's best guess?

Big, well cut, J colored diamonds are gorgeous. And I'm not quite sure where people think you'd be able to find a diamond of this size for cheaper. You could recut it for something in the range of 2.5-3k (IF it can be recut - that's the one proviso) - and IF it really is a J, and so long as we're talking crystals, feathers, pinpoints, flea bites etc and NOT clouds (because if it's full of clouds, there's not one thing you can do to make it sparkle) - then, personally, I'd be THRILLED to own it and I'd be flaunting that thing all over town in a heartbeat!

I've owned an I1 diamond that had one, very obvious, inclusion that I stuck under a prong and never saw again for the entire time I owned it. And I've owned a VS2 with a tiny mushy, cloudy patch that sent me mad and made me sell it in the end. It *really depends* on where the inclusions are.

So this could either have a very unahppy conclusion - or a very happy conclusion! And I'm an optimist. ::) And, let's face it, if you do nothing at all to improve it, you're still going ot have the biggest diamond ring in pretty much anyone's social circle - so - yay you!

Good luck!

Thank you so much for your positivity!
I will reach out to Brian Gavin thank you for your recommendation
It is GiA certified j color

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The inclusions don’t bother me much, it’s a sacrifice I’m willing to make for that size and they aren’t black. But the poor cut would turn me off. Recutting is a risk I wouldn’t take with that sum of money but you are probably in a different financial bracket than me and maybe this isn’t such a huge sum to you.

ACDC

Rough_Rock
It is a lot that’s why I am second guessing it… but when I look for 6+ct stone the price so much higher

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
For 42‘000, no, I would not buy it and cancel if I could. I think that price is too high. With such a budget, you can get a fabulous stone. Maybe not as big, but I for myself could definitely live with a smaller but better stone.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a lot that’s why I am second guessing it… but when I look for 6+ct stone the price so much higher

Do you actually want 6ct? That's the question only you csn answer

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Auction estimate was 20-30K
1716048062426.png
Opening bids between 20-30K, that certainly got high and that’s the point with auctions, emotion and drive the bids up.
I’m not knowledgeable about the possibility of withdrawing your bid. Perhaps it could be sold to the next highest bidder?
Otherwise, you were apparently an eager bidder so I hope you enjoy your rings when you receive them, when is that? We’d like to see them on your finger and hear what you think.

Edit to add: I just read through the auction house terms and conditions. Hope you love your rings! At the very least you own pieces that belonged to Cecilia G. D’Costa, FWIW.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like you want us to tell you that you did well for the price.

We can’t all do that because we don’t all feel that way.

But our opinions don’t matter. Whether we think you did well or not doesn’t matter. You need to feel good about your purchase. You will not find a 6ct (non-lab) diamond for 40-50k that most of us would recommend.

If you feel good about your purchase then I suggest getting off rocky talky (this subforum), taking a ton of photos when you get it, posting in Show Me The Bling, and enjoying the heck out of it!

freddyboston

Rough_Rock
it may have an interesting back story - maybe it was Havana cut and polished during WW2

ACDC

Rough_Rock
it may have an interesting back story - maybe it was Havana cut and polished during WW2

Very interesting!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course I do want 6ct who doesn’t

Lots of people would spend 42k on an excellent cut stone with sparkle and life (even if smaller) vs a poorly cut stone that's big. Size doesn't make up for poor quality. That's why I'm asking

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
More comps that are one clarity grade up.

You may love the ring irl. When you get the it, I hope that you do a Show Me The Bling post with tons of pics as Yssie suggested.

Round 6.08 Carat J Color SI2 Clarity For Sale

6.08 CARAT J SI2

8.9 Cut Score

$94,078
Learn More
Sponsored
Round 6.01 Carat J Color SI2 Clarity For Sale

6.01 CARAT J SI2

7.2 Cut Score

$90,727
Learn More
Sponsored
Round 6.01 Carat J Color SI2 Clarity For Sale

6.01 CARAT J SI2

7.2 Cut Score

$90,727

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I mean, it seems you paid a fair price for what you got. It may not be what we would choose, but that doesn't mean its bad by any means. Please share pictures in SMTB when you get it!

ACDC

Rough_Rock
I mean, it seems you paid a fair price for what you got. It may not be what we would choose, but that doesn't mean its bad by any means. Please share pictures in SMTB when you get it!

Thank you I will

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Also keep in mind you are bringing this to an elite group of experts. Most of the people on this thread eat, drink and sleep diamonds. We love rocks! But outside of these walls the average person will be knocked over when they see that on your finger. And like all Jewellry if it makes your heart sing and you can’t wait to wear it each time you see it then just enjoy the damn stone. I can detect that you love it allready. I totally get it. There is no one stone for everyone. Enjoy the shit out of it. And post endless pics please. If you’re happy then that’s all that matters.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Lots of people would spend 42k on an excellent cut stone with sparkle and life (even if smaller) vs a poorly cut stone that's big. Size doesn't make up for poor quality. That's why I'm asking

What @lovedogs said. I paid almost twice that for my little 'ol 2.5 CBI way back in 2019 and am happy as a clam with it. It wouldn't be to everyone's taste, but it suits me.

Ain't nothing wrong with big diamonds, ain't nothing wrong with small diamonds. Everyone should find one that makes their heart sing.

Last edited:

So this could either have a very unahppy conclusion - or a very happy conclusion! And I'm an optimist. ::) And, let's face it, if you do nothing at all to improve it, you're still going to have the biggest diamond ring in pretty much anyone's social circle - so - yay you!

Good luck!

I quoted @Mrs-b’s post because she came in and said pretty much exactly what I wanted to say!!

At the end of the day, the average Joe Public has absolutely no idea what makes for a really good cut diamond. If the inclusions are white (and therefore blend in the stone) and the colour is reasonably high (J is mostly going to pass as reasonably-white to the average person), they’re not going to have a clue about cut. Even badly cut diamonds can be pretty sparkly yanno? Clouds are the real death knell for sparkle.

I have a friend who wanted a BIG diamond when she got engaged. Her fiancé had a healthy budget, but it wasn’t going to stretch to her dream size. Size was her priority, and she ended up with a 6.something princess cut with the most hot-mess proportions you can imagine (IIRC the table was over 10% higher than the depth!) it would NOT have passed the sniff test on PS I can assure you. And yet - it was sparkly and white (IIRC was also J GIA, although the clarity was higher - maybe SI1) and threw plenty of sparkles around the room. It also spread bigger, the average person would’ve guessed 7+. I’m not saying it was perfect - yes, there was a lot more darkness in the centre than a perfectly cut princess, but it didn’t look like a straight up piece of glass either! Now - another friend of mine also has (a much smaller) princess cut and whoa that thing is a fireball! It’s 1.5ct, beautifully cut, definitely throws a gorgeous light show around - but even when the two of them are standing side by side, no one is going to say the honker doesn’t hold its own acceptably well. Most people just don’t compare rings like that anyway, and I’m not comparing the two directly either - both girls love their rings and made the right choice for them and good for them!! But it’s about your priority, and fwiw, I know VERY VERY VERY few people outside of PS who would pick a perfectly cut stone over a noticeably bigger stone. If I’m going to be honest, I’d likely take the 6.4 round you got over a perfectly cut super ideal 3ct. I actually would. I’d take the final call after I see it, of course, but I’m a lot more forgiving on cut than most PSers :D

6.44 is a good size to take to a cutter too. You have a 0.44ct leeway to play with before you start dramatically impacting value. I’d have a cutter see if they can clean it up and tweak it a bit to make it “better”, but I’d still prioritise keeping the cut “good enough” over cutting it to a super-ideal look.

At the end of the day - yes, 42k is a lot to pay for a diamond no matter what. Now that you’ve bought it, don’t dampen your own joy with it. You’ve taken a risk - it is definitely possible that the stone is lifeless and just an absolute struggle-bus because you haven’t seen it in person so you don’t know how to evaluate it yet. But recutting is an option - and so is popping that baby on your finger and having a happy little glow inside at the thought of a 6.5ct diamond ring. Just make sure to keep it clean.

I want to add another thing about resale value - diamonds are NOT an investment. Simply put. If you were buying this stone to flip it I’d tell you to run! But I’d say that to anyone, to be honest. I don’t think it’ll be impossible for you to sell the stone if you had to, but yes, it would likely be a tougher proposition than if it were a branded stone. That increased difficulty would not be MY reason to stay away from purchase though.

That being said, the potential “loss” you’d face if you sell this stone is still likely less than the loss you’d face if you sold a super ideal with similar size and specs, because the super ideal would cost double or more. Even if you recoup a larger percentage of the price in the latter case, the overall loss is still going to be higher (unless you get lucky). I don’t think resale value should enter your thoughts at all right now at point of purchase. But I’d say that to anyone (unless they have a written guarantee from their vendor that they’ll buy the stone back at x% of purchase price).

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But if a 6 ct goes for $90,000 don’t you think she could recoup her money to someone like her who wants size over quality?

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But if a 6 ct goes for $90,000 don’t you think she could recoup her money to someone like her who wants size over quality?

But how do you actually sell it? Who will gamble $40K+ to some rando on the internet? How would you reach people willing to blow $40K but also unconcerned by the provenance/authenticity angle or even the safety of the transaction?

Or you could consign and wait a few years and sacrifice half?

I wanted to sell a $5K white elephant and was stumped on how to do it even as a high-feedback eBay seller.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
You go through trusted channels like the auction she used, or Jewels By Grace or other companies. Jewelry transactions of that magnitude aren’t for the one-on-one private seller.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results