100.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5186.jpeg
    IMG_5186.jpeg
    183.6 KB · Views: 14

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could you see that with the naked eye?

We got pictures very similar to yours about an hour ago but very very little visible to naked eye.

It’s beautiful!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
So beautiful, @AprilBaby !
We can barely see it, but night mode caught this up here in ME. They
said we only had a 40% chance so I'm pretty excited to get anything!

20240510_231551.jpg 20240510_231624.jpg
20240510_232132.jpg

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm waiting up to see if I can see anything in MA. Are you using a camera? Phone? I don't see anything with my eyes but just heard on the news that photos can capture what the eye can't see.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I'm waiting up to see if I can see anything in MA. Are you using a camera? Phone? I don't see anything with my eyes but just heard on the news that photos can capture what the eye can't see.

Phone on night mode! Just look for subtle lightening in the sky, you should see faint streaking up this way.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll try to find night mode. I've never seen that on my phone. thanks.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_3804.jpeg IMG_3814.jpeg

From our back balcony, and from a hilltop clearing not far from our house in Auburn, California. The iPhone camera picked up a much more colorful sky than our eyes did - we attribute it to our cameras being much younger than our eyes - LOL! Actually, I’ve no idea what causes that phenomenon, but I appreciated it tonight! I’m hoping we’ll be able to pick up those more saturated colors without camera assist at some point in the next day or two.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I completely forgot about it!!!! they were visible here in Ohio...I am kicking myself I just forgot....beautiful pictures!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our friend’s photo in SC
Aurora last night

Resized_20240510_224438.jpeg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Wow! I’m so envious! I don’t think it reached South TX and it’s been cloudy too. But I forgot to look outside last night anyway :wall:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Phone on night mode! Just look for subtle lightening in the sky, you should see faint streaking up this way.

Do you have an iPhone or an android? I’ve never heard of night mode! I have an iPhone. This is interesting that you guys are capturing this and seeing it more on film than with your eyes.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I completely forgot about it!!!! they were visible here in Ohio...I am kicking myself I just forgot....beautiful pictures!

It is supposed to go on for another night or two, so you may still get to see them, or photograph them which seems to be the best way to capture them.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have an iPhone or an android? I’ve never heard of night mode! I have an iPhone. This is interesting that you guys are capturing this and seeing it more on film than with your eyes.

my iphone doesn't have night mode either. It depends on the model. I have a iphone SE third generation and they didn't put night mode on that. You can look up what models have night mode and see if yours is one of them. I'm out of luck but just found an article that says there is an app I can download that will function the same way, so I'm just checking into that.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
my iphone doesn't have night mode either. It depends on the model. I have a iphone SE third generation and they didn't put night mode on that. You can look up what models have night mode and see if yours is one of them. I'm out of luck but just found an article that says there is an app I can download that will function the same way, so I'm just checking into that.

After some research, mine does have it but evidently it's enabled automatically. I noticed that whenever I tried to take a pic in dark conditions it would say "hold still" and it would go really slowly. I didn't realize that was called a certain mode. I have a 13 Pro Max.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After some research, mine does have it but evidently it's enabled automatically. I noticed that whenever I tried to take a pic in dark conditions it would say "hold still" and it would go really slowly. I didn't realize that was called a certain mode. I have a 13 Pro Max.

I was too cheap to buy the fancy phone, so I guess I've learned a lesson!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

i know the feeling
the solar flears have ment to have been quite good to get up for
but its been cold and frosty
and my bed has been warm and cosy

there was a time i would have got up for that
not my photos but some stunning southern auruas in this link

when i was a kid my parents would have bundled us into the car at midnight and driven out of town to go look for this , i can remember seeing a greeny one but we lived close to 45 degrees latitude so that probably makes good sighting a bit rear

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Android, Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra. It has a little icon in photo app under 'more' that's a crescent moon!
I think most phones, including most iPhone will do it just on photo 'auto' anyway!

*There is another chance for more tonight up North if it's clear where you are! Canada will see the best of it

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Android, Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra. It has a little icon in photo app under 'more' that's a crescent moon!
I think most phones, including most iPhone will do it just on photo 'auto' anyway!

*There is another chance for more tonight up North if it's clear where you are! Canada will see the best of it

we have cloud for the next 3 days, just as i was getting keen

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Just looking at the night sky was beeeeautiful, here in western Canada! The colors were soft, and the lights moved so much! I took photos (iPhone XS) which were kind of grainy. The camera's almost past when it can be updated...

This was off our back deck. I took a gazillion stills and videos.

IMG_5449.jpg

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just looking at the night sky was beeeeautiful, here in western Canada! The colors were soft, and the lights moved so much! I took photos (iPhone XS) which were kind of grainy. The camera's almost past when it can be updated...

This was off our back deck. I took a gazillion stills and videos.

IMG_5449.jpg

I should have made more of an effort to look! Goodness knows I was awake! (insomnia...)

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The iPhone camera picked up a much more colorful sky than our eyes did - we attribute it to our cameras being much younger than our eyes - LOL! Actually, I’ve no idea what causes that phenomenon, but I appreciated it tonight!

And THIS is why you don't believe the IG cell phone photos of gems! Never seen clearer examples of the outrageously boosted iPhone saturation than all of these aurora examples.

We had great luck -- spouse persuaded me to venture out late on this "work night" whereas I am usually the one to do the arm-twisting around astronomical and atmospheric phenomena. We hit our favorite dark-sky "destination" comet-watching cemetery and encountered a perplexed bunch of teenage street racers -- and we exchanged wtf glances. We eventually asked each other "Is there an, um, thing here tonight?!" and it became clear that our respective things were quite different. Minutes later we were chased away by a power-sliding officer in an unmarked police car -- who literally "drifted" in to swing his vehicle around to confront us. (It's been a lot of years since we've been "dispersed by law enforcement.") The kids all bolted immediately but we were just watching it all unfold like "this is all kind of surreal, right?" But we found a proverbial "second location" that was more hospitable.

Oh, but back to my actual point. We had clear skies and are pretty far north and we're aurora virgins -- so it was startling and magical. The striae were quite bright and reached from horizon to zenith but with just the barest hints of colors. My phone photos, OTOH, could be on the cover of National Geographic :lol-2:.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
And THIS is why you don't believe the IG cell phone photos of gems! Never seen clearer examples of the outrageously boosted iPhone saturation than all of these aurora examples.

We had great luck -- spouse persuaded me to venture out late on this "work night" whereas I am usually the one to do the arm-twisting around astronomical and atmospheric phenomena. We hit our favorite dark-sky "destination" comet-watching cemetery and encountered a perplexed bunch of teenage street racers -- and we exchanged wtf glances. We eventually asked each other "Is there an, um, thing here tonight?!" and it became clear that our respective things were quite different. Minutes later we were chased away by a power-sliding officer in an unmarked police car -- who literally "drifted" in to swing his vehicle around to confront us. (It's been a lot of years since we've been "dispersed by law enforcement.") The kids all bolted immediately but we were just watching it all unfold like "this is all kind of surreal, right?" But we found a proverbial "second location" that was more hospitable.

Oh, but back to my actual point. We had clear skies and are pretty far north and we're aurora virgins -- so it was startling and magical. The striae were quite bright and reached from horizon to zenith but with just the barest hints of colors. My phone photos, OTOH, could be on the cover of National Geographic :lol-2:.

Post some photos then!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results