shape
carat
color
clarity

Watermelon tourmaline...

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
So I ended up buying that 14.13ct. one... here she be. Dimensions are approximately 16x12x8mm. Remarkably, the inclusions are less prominent in person. That never, ever happens. They're certainly present, but they blend into the stone nicely. None of them becomes more apparent under any lighting, even direct sun. That was going to make or break the piece for me. The color is better in person, again, surprisingly (also never happens). And there's no window whatsoever, which was difficult to find in this particular cut. I know I overpaid (we agreed on $7,000, as opposed to the $9,375 list price). Ah well!

thumbnail_20240312_174636 (1).jpg

Goodness me, this is gorgeous! I cannot wait to see this stone set :kiss2:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thumbnail_20240312_174636 (1).jpg

Wow! Super-vivid at both poles and what a gorgeous and balanced watermelon effect! Can't wait to see what you do with it, @Autumn in New England. Appreciate the candor around pricing, too.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This was shown in the GIA newsletter. Thought it was interesting. These are actually "watermelon Tourmaline". Everything else shown in this thread are actually bi-color tourmaline, not watermelon tourmaline.

SP24-MW-Fig16-323838-636px.jpg

The watermelon tourmaline slices shown in the figure above are remarkable for their mesmerizing iris effect. Unearthed from the famed Cruzeiro mine in the Brazilian state of Minas Gerais more than seven years ago, they were precisely cut to unveil their rainbow spectrum. Each slice, measuring 18 × 18 × 4 mm, radiates an alluring interplay of colors attributed to the iris effect, a phenomenon created by subtle internal fractures within the gemstone. This rare flawlessly matched pair weighed 34.99 carats total, conjuring the enchantment of fiery Australian opals.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
This was shown in the GIA newsletter. Thought it was interesting. These are actually "watermelon Tourmaline". Everything else shown in this thread are actually bi-color tourmaline, not watermelon tourmaline.

The watermelon tourmaline slices shown in the figure above are remarkable for their mesmerizing iris effect. Unearthed from the famed Cruzeiro mine in the Brazilian state of Minas Gerais more than seven years ago, they were precisely cut to unveil their rainbow spectrum. Each slice, measuring 18 × 18 × 4 mm, radiates an alluring interplay of colors attributed to the iris effect, a phenomenon created by subtle internal fractures within the gemstone. This rare flawlessly matched pair weighed 34.99 carats total, conjuring the enchantment of fiery Australian opals.

This is unbelievable. I've never seen anything like it

These are i n c r e d i b l e! I can't get over the iridescent sheen. Thank you for sharing!! Mother nature is a mad scientist (as Kramer used to say).

P.S. I'm still calling my stone watermelon.
stickouttongue.gif
tee hee

Melisande

Rough_Rock
I've been meaning to add mine - this looks like the time :) I found this bracelet while browsing for furniture in a resale shop maybe a decade ago. These appear to be slices from the same crystal. The chain is GF and it was less than $35 - which was a splurge for me that day, but I love it :)
WT Indirect.jpg

Attachments

• WT Sunlight.jpg
    WT Sunlight.jpg
    577.4 KB · Views: 4
I've been meaning to add mine - this looks like the time :) I found this bracelet while browsing for furniture in a resale shop maybe a decade ago. These appear to be slices from the same crystal. The chain is GF and it was less than $35 - which was a splurge for me that day, but I love it :)
WT Indirect.jpg

This is SO cool! I'm glad you shared it!! :love:

toomuchB

Shiny_Rock

Oooo I want this!

Looks identical to my one that I posted before, from the same seller. Mine is a little under 3ct and 20x4.5mm approx. They had a handful of crystals to pick from. I considered larger but I wanted the closer 33/33/33 color split.
Quick photo
3.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results