shape
carat
color
clarity

Lab-Grown Diamond Brand Lightbox Cuts Prices by 25 to 40%

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gresham, Oregon—Lightbox has cut prices by as much as 40 percent, bringing its lab-grown diamonds even farther below the market average.

Lightbox tested reduced prices in the fourth quarter 2023 and announced Friday it had officially adopted price cuts across the board, with the steepest drop coming for its highest-quality goods.

It is now selling its “Finest” lab-grown diamonds—D-F color, excellent cut, and VS clarity—for $900 a carat, 10 percent lower than the price offered in the Q4 trial ($1,000 per carat), and 40 percent off the original price of $1,500 per carat.

Prices on I-J color lab-grown diamonds were cut 38 percent, from $800 to $500 a carat, while G-H color stones are going for $600 a carat, down 25 percent from $800 a carat.

Even before Lightbox announced it was making its price cuts permanent, its lab-grown diamonds were priced well below the retail average, observed industry analyst Edahn Golan, co-founder of data analytics firm Tenoris.

He said in April, the average retail price of a 1-carat lab-grown diamond was $1,093, which is 27 percent more than Lightbox was charging for its standard lab-grown diamonds (G-J color and VS clarity).

Retailers paid $364 when they purchased that diamond, giving them a 67 percent gross margin, he said.

“It looks like De Beers is continuing with its effort to pull down lab-grown diamond retail prices by offering them for far below market prices,” Golan said, while noting that even under the new pricing, Lightbox is still selling well above its costs.

“We should expect continued lab-grown diamond price declines, especially considering the large margins through most of the lab-grown diamond pipeline, and the oversupply of goods,” he concluded.
Also on Friday, Lightbox announced it would now be obtaining batch quality verification for its lab-grown diamonds through the Gemological Institute of America.

Lightbox said GIA will assess a “statistically significant” sample in each production run to ensure they meet the lab’s quality criteria for color, clarity, and cut. A downloadable GIA “quality verification card” then will be available for each diamond in the batch.

A GIA spokesperson told National Jeweler that the batch verification service launched Friday. It is a service GIA is providing for Lightbox only, just as it does pre-owned jewelry authentication for eBay only.

The service will start with the Lightbox’s D-F color white round brilliant-cut loose lab-grown diamonds, though it could expand to the blue and pink lab-grown diamonds in the future.

Lightbox CEO Antoine Borde said: “Lightbox led the lab-grown diamond jewelry sector six years ago with its $800 a carat linear pricing, and, today, we are pleased to introduce even lower prices, that more closely align with current jewelry industry dynamics.

“Equally, we’re very proud to be working with the GIA to verify the quality and consistency of our stones, which supports purchase confidence and allows us to continue our mission of providing clarity, transparency, and value to our customers.”

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
they keep trying to push people back to earth mined, but I dont see people going for it. Sure, there are still some that will want earth grown, but I dont think they're going to get back all the people that they lost already to labs... like me. LOL

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
they keep trying to push people back to earth mined, but I dont see people going for it. Sure, there are still some that will want earth grown, but I dont think they're going to get back all the people that they lost already to labs... like me. LOL

Is this still more than most people are paying for stones from loosegrowndiamond? I’m not sure what prices are for the stones recommended by @DejaWiz and @Kim N in the 1 carat range.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Cheaper than branded cuts from BG/JP/WF but pricier than non branded cuts.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Still, those are ungraded diamonds, and "That price is just too HIGH!" :lol: I'm reminded of that Marshall Lucky commercial from the movie Used Cars. CAUTION: Foul language toward the end, and perhaps lowbrow humor throughout.
:lol:

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
Still, those are ungraded diamonds, and "That price is just too HIGH!" :lol: I'm reminded of that Marshall Lucky commercial from the movie Used Cars. CAUTION: Foul language toward the end, and perhaps lowbrow humor throughout.
:lol:

I agree! That’s way too much for ungraded/cannot choose the specs.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock

The bar has been raised not just in size but also in quality. People coming of age in an era of high quality, low priced LGD are going to look at natural diamonds the way PSers look at mall jewelry. Too much money for comparatively low quality stones.

I agree! That’s way too much for ungraded/cannot choose the specs.

And trusting their representation of color and clarity.

The time is coming when LGD will be so cheap that a certificate is not worth the price. But there will be trusted sellers who people will count on and maybe the people who disparaged LGD will not be the sellers that people trust.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I'm pretty sure there will always be a need for the certificate on LGD because there are too many simulants out there. And the labor of a better cut will always need to pay for itself at the very least.

I bought a pair of uncerted mined studs years ago. At that time, the price for certed stones was prohibitive, and thus I was part of that uncerted market. But with price not being a factor to that degree, I think the certs will provide peace of mind of product.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They really only cut the prices of their very good diamonds. The nice ones are still overpriced.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
They really only cut the prices of their very good diamonds. The nice ones are still overpriced.

Yep, and in this case, what LB considers "nice" is about as loose as a 1/2 inch nut on a 1/4 inch bolt.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results