shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with stain on Sapphire

MariMeow

Rough_Rock
I have this small light blue sapphire stacking ring, and ever since I got it, I noticed this dark stain on its table and facets (photo). I was once able to clean it, but it was years ago, so I know it's not something permanent or an inclusion on the stone.

I've read there are stones that attract oil stains, but I didn't think Sapphire would be one of them. Brushing with dish soap isn't working. At least not easily.

Has it ever happened to anyone else? What has worked for stubborn stains on gemstones?

IMG_8165.jpg

Two possibilities... it's either an abraded table/crown facets, and the dullness is reading as a dark spot. Or it is a film of schmutz that's really on there good. With your fingernail, give it a decent scratch. If you see anything moving, go at it with a polishing cloth. You can also use a paste of baking soda and water with a soft cloth. Baking soda is mildly abrasive, but only a 2.5 hardness, so it shouldn't damage anything. If all else fails, bring it to your jeweler for a professional clean, and see what he/she thinks. Good luck!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
it's either an abraded table/crown facets

It looks like this to my eye -- happened to one of my spouse's rings. But it is so uniform across the table perimeter and even looks like it is adjacent to those post prongs which should have (somewhat) protected the sapphire real estate close by. Since it's not a new phenomenon, it may pre-date the making of this ring and the could explain the "failure" of the prongs to offer protection.

Some better (more magnified) photos would help. If you truly can not see facet meet-points and instead it looks and feels rounded, then I think you have the (unfortunate) answer. Takes years of hard wear to get to this point on a sapphire. Are you 100% sure it is sapphire? Would occur much faster with a softer stone.

MariMeow

Rough_Rock
It looks like this to my eye -- happened to one of my spouse's rings. But it is so uniform across the table perimeter and even looks like it is adjacent to those post prongs which should have (somewhat) protected the sapphire real estate close by. Since it's not a new phenomenon, it may pre-date the making of this ring and the could explain the "failure" of the prongs to offer protection.

Some better (more magnified) photos would help. If you truly can not see facet meet-points and instead it looks and feels rounded, then I think you have the (unfortunate) answer. Takes years of hard wear to get to this point on a sapphire. Are you 100% sure it is sapphire? Would occur much faster with a softer stone.

The table looks smooth when it reflects the light, and even with my loupe all I see is one tiny uneven side to one of the edges but I'd say it looks like it's from the cutting process and not from impact. The stain/abrasion is off to one side but centered enough not to touch any meet-point.

Hope the photos help. If it is abrasion, the lines must be incredibly small. So small that I can't see anything with my loupe.
I just commissioned another ring from the same jeweller, so I might bring it to them so they can have a look. I've only had it for about 4 years now.

IMG_8186.jpg

IMG_8187.jpg

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ Table facet looks fairly "polygonal" in the reflecting-light image but I can't zoom in too far. Then it might just be mineral deposits from hard water, etc? Mine gets that on the table and I soak it for a few seconds in one of those cleaners that (smells like it) has ammonia and some mild soap in it. But it has that same perimeter look to it.

MariMeow

Rough_Rock
^ Table facet looks fairly "polygonal" in the reflecting-light image but I can't zoom in too far. Then it might just be mineral deposits from hard water, etc? Mine gets that on the table and I soak it for a few seconds in one of those cleaners that (smells like it) has ammonia and some mild soap in it. But it has that same perimeter look to it.

Oh I had one exactly like that! The smell is STRONG in those. I'll check if I still have some of it left, but I wouldn't be too sad if it turns out it's all dried up by now :razz:

I think it IS in fact some sort of mineral film like @LilAlex said... it's almost sort of metallic looking in person? I've seen this before and it's definitely fixable. If you cannot remove it, a jeweler should be able to. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results