V_sh

Rough_Rock
Trade
Last edited:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks a lot Garry for sharing.

she said "...so actually this is pretty true, a blue fluorescent diamond must be a natural diamond..."

So this is completely wrong and CVD diamonds can have blue fluorescence because of N3 impurities, it's rare but not impossible (For sure there will be growers that will try to grow Blue fluorescent CVDs more and more)

1212.png

It's a yes and no issue V.
In my playing around the key difference is the frequency and intensity of the LW UV.

But the concept she described is accurate.

V_sh

Rough_Rock
Trade
In my playing around the key difference is the frequency and intensity of the LW UV.

Thanks Garry,

Do you mean under different wavelengths and intensities of UV light we might see the blue fluorescence of a CVD diamond?

I mean CVD can have pure blue fluorescence, the color of fluorescence I consider important not the wavelength

Am I right?

Regards,
Vahid

freddyboston

Rough_Rock

When we upgraded last summer to 2ct D Si1 i made sure it would be easy to id as a Natural - saved a bit $ too with the Strong FL PHOTO-2023-09-18-13-46-12.jpg PHOTO-2023-09-18-13-53-29.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Garry,

Do you mean under different wavelengths and intensities of UV light we might see the blue fluorescence of a CVD diamond?

I mean CVD can have pure blue fluorescence, the color of fluorescence I consider important not the wavelength

Am I right?

Regards,
Vahid

Yes, different reactions to different frequencies V.
And unlikely you would get a synthetic piece like FreddyBostons just posted.

V_sh

Rough_Rock
Trade
When we upgraded last summer to 2ct D Si1 i made sure it would be easy to id as a Natural - saved a bit $ too with the Strong FL PHOTO-2023-09-18-13-46-12.jpg PHOTO-2023-09-18-13-53-29.jpg

Yes, different reactions to different frequencies V.
And unlikely you would get a synthetic piece like FreddyBostons just posted.

Thanks @freddyboston and Garry,

Although rarely CVDs can have blue flourecence but it's not imppssible.

A few melee CVDs with blue flour. I saw in person and this material will be found more and more.

You may like this article (fig 6 and 7 to be checked):

I remember the time that there were no IF/D CVD diamond in the market.

Nice ring you have @freddyboston

freddyboston

Rough_Rock
So far so good Garry - wedding ring is thinner / diamonds sit lower than new e ring (beefy 3mm) plus wedding has looser size so can wear higher up finger to give some separation. Didn't want to Solder and not a fan of spacers.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
So far so good Garry - wedding ring is thinner / diamonds sit lower than new e ring (beefy 3mm) plus wedding has looser size so can wear higher up finger to give some separation. Didn't want to Solder and not a fan of spacers.

OK, you are aware of the risks. A spacer of any metal will be required as the platinum will not be worn away, so even a cheap thin white gold will work.
Do you have a loupe to identify the damage.
Nothing you wrote would make me comfortable.

freddyboston

Rough_Rock
Thanks Garry - my wife's stubborn - says spacer would put too much metal on her finger - i asked her next time she's visiting the local jeweler to ask them to take a peek - if there is problem maybe they can convince her.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Garry - my wife's stubborn - says spacer would put too much metal on her finger - i asked her next time she's visiting the local jeweler to ask them to take a peek - if there is problem maybe they can convince her.

Dont wait a day - buy a loupe -
I've seen the needle and the damage done
A little part of it in everyone
But every junkie's like a settin' sun

freddyboston

Rough_Rock
Happy to report I was able to convince her Gary and placed an order for a spacer today. Since i have your ear - I'm curious your thoughts if there will ever come a time when certification labs start looking at transparency as part of the clarity grade ? Our Si1 got hit for the table crystal (scary at magnification / eye clean real life) Were not for that it's a remarkably clean and bright stone.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Happy to report I was able to convince her Gary and placed an order for a spacer today. Since i have your ear - I'm curious your thoughts if there will ever come a time when certification labs start looking at transparency as part of the clarity grade ? Our Si1 got hit for the table crystal (scary at magnification / eye clean real life) Were not for that it's a remarkably clean and bright stone.

Re transparency: my book soon to be out. It has two themes. Cut quality and light performance AND transperancy.
I am also writing an article for gemologists publication with a scientist friend on haze in diamonds including blue fluorescent stones.

My type of diamond. If the crystal was off to the side it can still be SI1 if it's quite a bit larger. And being near the top of the stone there are little to no other reflections of it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results