shape
carat
color
clarity

David Klass OEC

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock
David Klass will be sourcing a custom cut OEC for me. I've fallen in love with OEC's but know very little about the specifics that make one a good one. Are there optimal parameters for an OEC? I do know I would like the stone to have a nice amount of fire/flash and a pretty petal pattern. This is vague I know but it's also why I need guidance. I want to be truly happy with what I receive. Please help!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would find pictures of OECs I liked and send those to DK. Do you have any details on rings that DK has provided the OEC for?
Just curious... Is it going to be returnable if the faceting pattern isn't to your liking? I'm unsure if adding a middleman (DK)
to the mix is abig help. (Don't get me wrong, I love DK!).

My advice to someone new to this would be to
1) find a stone that is already cut, OR,
2) have one cut through SouthWest Diamond Cutters. They have done quite a few for Pricescopers and know what stones
are good for recuts.

@Inked gives a lot of details in these threads. She has done 2 recuts through SW.

Good luck...you've come to the right place!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@tyty333 covered the the most important aspects. I'll add that you want the facets to flash on and off. You don't want an OEC with a center that goes dark all at once. This thread shows an example of what you want to avoid.

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock
I would find pictures of OECs I liked and send those to DK. Do you have any details on rings that DK has provided the OEC for?
Just curious... Is it going to be returnable if the faceting pattern isn't to your liking? I'm unsure if adding a middleman (DK)
to the mix is abig help. (Don't get me wrong, I love DK!).

My advice to someone new to this would be to
1) find a stone that is already cut, OR,
2) have one cut through SouthWest Diamond Cutters. They have done quite a few for Pricescopers and know what stones
are good for recuts.

@Inked gives a lot of details in these threads. She has done 2 recuts through SW.

Good luck...you've come to the right place!

Thank you! I also don't have much experience with finding a stone that is already available. DK is taking the lead here since we are going through insurance to replace my lost engagement ring and he is the jeweler we worked with prior. Sending photos of OEC's I like is a really good suggestion. I definitely like the flower patterns. Will give the posts you mentioned a read through as well.

If I'm understandanding there are no parameters for OEC like there are for other diamonds were there are numbers you can analyze to rule things out? My last engagement ring had a sapphire center stone so diamonds are definitely not in my wheel house.

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock
@tyty333 covered the the most important aspects. I'll add that you want the facets to flash on and off. You don't want an OEC with a center that goes dark all at once. This thread shows an example of what you want to avoid.

Thank you this post was helpful. Especially to my untrained eye that is not sure what to look for. I feel certain and excited about my new engagement ring but I'm very nervous too as I feel very out of my element with diamonds overall and my very limited knowledge of OEC's as well.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I also don't have much experience with finding a stone that is already available. DK is taking the lead here since we are going through insurance to replace my lost engagement ring and he is the jeweler we worked with prior. Sending photos of OEC's I like is a really good suggestion. I definitely like the flower patterns. Will give the posts you mentioned a read through as well.

If I'm understandanding there are no parameters for OEC like there are for other diamonds were there are numbers you can analyze to rule things out? My last engagement ring had a sapphire center stone so diamonds are definitely not in my wheel house.

No, there are no good parameters for OECs except what GIA provides for what defines an OEC (not going to help though because
doesn't mean its going to make for a pretty stone).
OECs must meet 3 of the 4 criteria. However, I think there are guidelines when picking a Round Brilliant to have cut into an OEC to look
for. Like making sure you have a high enough crown angle. DK is pretty good at providing customers what they like/want so I'll
assume that he's going to find you a stone that you like.

Screenshot 2024-05-17 083710.png

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock
No, there are no good parameters for OECs except what GIA provides for what defines an OEC (not going to help though because
doesn't mean its going to make for a pretty stone).
OECs must meet 3 of the 4 criteria. However, I think there are guidelines when picking a Round Brilliant to have cut into an OEC to look
for. Like making sure you have a high enough crown angle. DK is pretty good at providing customers what they like/want so I'll
assume that he's going to find you a stone that you like.

Screenshot 2024-05-17 083710.png
Thank you for the reassurance. I think providing photos and some videos of what I like will hopefully set the tone for a positive end result. I'm so excited for this project to get going. It's been moving a long very, very slowly. But now I think the ball will get rolling and I'm starting to feel more comfortable with what my likes/dislikes in OEC's are!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results