shape
carat
color
clarity

Contrast vs Photography Differences

mccsbobo

Rough_Rock
When looking at these two diamond photos, it looks like the one on the right is more "crisp" and the one on the left more "hazy." Assuming I am not crazy (jury is out on this one), do you think this is due to an actual difference in stone contrast or just poor photography?

1715740438851.png

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
To my eye the black point is off on the left, giving the whole image a washed out appearance. That’s different from a stone with hazy material. But I’m eager to hear what others have to say.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iMO it's the photography. I think you may be in some analysis paralysis. It might be easiest just to buy the frontrunner diamond and judge it with your own eyes at this point.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
One photo has more photo issues than the other but the full spin videos is needed to say if one or the other does not have significant crystal issues.
Since both are stills from spin videos, they are out there for them..

mccsbobo

Rough_Rock
Hahaha! I did order it the front runner the other day and my opinion has always been it’s the photography. (A lot of that vendors photos look like that actually!) I feel great about the purchase and can’t wait to receive it!

My question was more educational (in reality and from a PS experts perspectives) than anything else. I love how much I’m learning and want to really hone my skills so I can help others! This was always something I assumed but didn’t “know” - so it’s nice to build my confidence to feel that I “know” by listening to the experience of this community!

Thank you for sharing and helping!!

Ken Naw

Rough_Rock
Assuming the background is exactly the same for both, the left is slightly darker inferring the left is slightly underexposed.

With that assumption, the left diamond's arrows should be darker but in fact are lighter. I.e. less contrast. Slightly darker exposure will also kill the highlights a bit, so that may show the right diamond's highlights more favourably.

But overall I'd say there isn't a significant amount of difference in exposure if basing it off the background tone, and the right diamond does seem to offer more contrast and sparkle.

mccsbobo

Rough_Rock
Sounds like someone is a photographer! ;)2 Thanks for the perspective @Ken Naw!

They two pics are from the same vendor, but who really knows if the background (or even the lighting for that matter) was the same.

Interesting to think about! I have always been confused as to how much I can determine about stones from static pictures or 360 images.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
When judging a photo, take reference pints from within the photo. How black are the blacks and how white are the whites. Don’t compare one photos “black” to another photos “black.” When looking at Idealscope images, you also judge the colors within one photo relative to one another.

On the left, there’s really are no black-blacks to speak of. This photo is a wash of greys. On the right, there is stark contrast between the black-blacks and the white-whites.

Judge the overall facet pattern from the videos - symmetry, twist, edge-to-edge brightness, etc. You can spot graining and strain on the videos but those don’t give the entire diamond a washout of contrast. Those show up in specific areas.

Some material does look hazy, but sometimes I see people calling “hazy” when I’m pretty sure it’s a matter of focal length. With so many lab diamonds, though, it’s not worth inspecting a questionable stone.

mccsbobo

Rough_Rock
Great tips and insight @0515vision! Thank you! Great analogy with the idealscope images. That definitely made it click for me!

So is there a way to recognize material that is truly hazy without seeing it with your own eyes?

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
So is there a way to recognize material that is truly hazy without seeing it with your own eyes?

I have only seen what people refer to as graining or strain or clouds which gives spot "haziness." Over time, you also learn to spot dirty diamonds with surface marks.

In mined diamonds, sometimes strong fluorescence sometimes gives a milky appearance, but you'll see that remarked on the report.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results