shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I get some feedback on these claws pls?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I received the final video of my latest project with DKJ and I have some reservations about the prongs - especially the ones on the inside of the pears.

Can I get some thoughts pls?

Thanks in advance.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,
Well to me, they look a bit more triangular or squarish, but the video isn't very distinct on my screen. Is that what concerns you or is it something else?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
They aren’t super delicate if that’s what you were expecting, but there certainly is nothing wrong with them and it’s a beautiful ring. I’m sure you paid a lot and you should have it the way you want… alternatively, maybe you would grow to like them???

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gotta agree with the ladies, not too petite and not super claw-ish if that's what you were after. The prongs at the points
of the pears do look nice. All and all a very pretty ring. I would probably ask for them to recheck those prongs because you
asked for claws.

First, I'd probably ask for some up-close pictures because you're concerned about the prongs.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
especially the ones on the inside of the pears.

There’s been some three stone rings posted here with that same question on the inside side stone prongs.

Your ring doesn’t look like those did/do.
It’s also not sitting straight head on, in the video. Hard to tell if it’s there or noticeable irl.

I think it looks lovely
- but as already been said - if you asked for thin tiny claws, that’s a valid issue.

Maybe a slim semi bezel there instead of prongs would suit better? Or integrate it into the center basket as VC does?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Lookinagain -

They just seem too big, right across the board. And they don't all seem the same type of prongs. But mostly, what's bothering me the most is that, when looked at directly, they seem to protrude too far from the diamonds they're holding. They just stick out too far. And they seem spiky, not a soft curve. Not a fan.

@headlight -

I learnt a long time ago - if I don't like them now, I will *never* like them. So these need to be changed.

@tyty333 -

I'm actually seeing the ring in person tomorrow morning. I find that these videos/photos can be incredibly misleading when you take something so small and blow it up x 100. I'm going to attach some photos to show what I was after, below. Let me know if you can see my thinking, because sometimes it's difficult to convey what it is you're looking for.

@Rfisher -

Not a fan of half bezels (at all) - but I did think of bezeling all three diamonds 100%. But the idea of this was to have something lighter, due to the delicacy of the ring it needs to go with ( - my Leon eternity).

Re integrating with the center basket - I've had rings like that in the past, but that necessitates dropping the side stones, and I want a one-level curve, so clawless side stones won't work with that design (smooth curve in profile). I feel as tho there are different benches with different styles, some who do softer, more organic work, some who are more pointy/angular. I want the softy-curvy guy back!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It’s good you can see it in person. It’s the only way to know for sure!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So here was my original DKJ three stone. Look how rounded and smooth this is! This ring was perfect. It has the pears integrated into the center basket, so there were no inner prongs on the pears, but, as you can see, that necessitates a drop down of the pears from the center stone, and I don't want that on this ring. I want a nice, smooth, unbroken curve around my finger.

But - again - look how softy-curvy! Gorgeous! Probably the best made ring I've ever owned. That shank was a thing of beauty.

20181017_115657.jpg

And again - my original 3 stone from DKJ. The prongs are larger than in some of the other photos I'm posting, but they were so beautiful, they were a feature of the ring.

20181017_115552.jpg

These are the prongs I want. These were so small that, in real life, you could barely see them at all. This ring was by D. Vatche.

IMG_1766.JPG

This is a ring I did with DKJ some years back. I firmly disliked the prongs on the first version, so they slimmed them down and came up with the version on the right. Given that there were 8 prongs on the head, I don't understand why they weren't like this in the first place. It was very straight forward to fix this.

Prong comparison copy.jpeg

And lastly - the dream prongs. These are the profile I want - very little protrusion beyond the edge of the diamond. Just amazing.

Prong comp 2.jpeg

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love these prongs.

1715880844021.png

And looking at these prongs and the prongs on your ring, well, they don't really look at all alike. It seems like someone didn't get the memo. Let us know what you think when you see it in person, but I agree, they don't appear to be delicate enough.
1715881291320.png

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you show DK the pictures of the prongs you wanted? I worry that petite can be subjective to different benches (is that the right
way to plural that?) You gave some beautiful examples above. I hope they can readjust them to your satisfaction. I'm sure they can.
Let us know what you think in person. Agree that the lighting on videos can be deceiving.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did you show DK the pictures of the prongs you wanted? I worry that petite can be subjective to different benches (is that the right
way to plural that?) You gave some beautiful examples above. I hope they can readjust them to your satisfaction. I'm sure they can.
Let us know what you think in person. Agree that the lighting on videos can be deceiving.

Neither here nor there for Mrs B because of course she should have what she wants, but this bolded is interesting and something I have noticed too. Prong styles seem to vary a lot from design house to design house, and I assume, bench to bench. I've seen some very popular designers with larger prongs. It is obviously a choice in some cases, rather than a lack of skill. An aesthetic choice I mean.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, they're a bit too heavy for the stone size proportionally- but this can be fixed.
Just need a little refinement.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to be clear - I didn't ask for the sorts of prongs on that ring - I normally just say "Smallest claw prongs on the face of the earth, please, with smallest protrusion past the edge of the diamonds possible". ::) I just love the ones on that ring, and it shows how tight the profile of prongs can be.

The good news is that I'm sure David and Amy will plug away until we get this right. As I mentioned, I have a meet-up with Amy tomorrow and I'm hoping I can convey my concerns; sometimes what leaves my brain is not what comes out my mouth!

So - fingers crossed.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, they're a bit too heavy for the stone size proportionally- but this can be fixed.
Just need a little refinement.

That's the issue exactly. It's the proportions. The prongs are simply too large for the stones - which aren't large to start with. Also, since the prongs stick out sideways too far, they connect the pears to the center stone, denying the curve of the head of the pears. Those super tiny prongs - the ones on the D Vatche ring - are on a .83ct round. So - even tinier than this round (1.09). So I figure if they can get them that small on a .83 stone, they can get them, proportionally, that small on a 1.09.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neither here nor there for Mrs B because of course she should have what she wants, but this bolded is interesting and something I have noticed too. Prong styles seem to vary a lot from design house to design house, and I assume, bench to bench. I've seen some very popular designers with larger prongs. It is obviously a choice in some cases, rather than a lack of skill. An aesthetic choice I mean.

@Dreamer_D - YES. I've seen this differing style issue within DKJ. Some benches do my favorite softy-curvy look - which I adore. And some are uber sharp and angular - which I hate. It really depends who I get on the piece, and since benches turn over fairly fast, from what I can see, the same bench may not even work there from one piece to the next. I don't know this - it's just my guess. Whoever did my first 3 stone ring from DKJ was NEVER the bench who did the latest one on this thread. Someone whose aesthetic is soft and curved and highly polished like that is never going to turn out those pokey angles. It's just a completely different aesthetic.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The CvB prongs have a gap in the middle where the metal meets - finding another set of images might be helpful for the bench.

Sorry @molecule - these are photos I've saved from over a decade. Which one is the CvB piece?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

No. And this is my fault. I've done so many pieces with DKJ I >justkindaexpectthemtoknow< <polite cough>.

So now I feel like I'm being a PITN about this. But on the other hand - this is my 40th anniversary ring, and it's *very* important to me. So it has to be <chef's kiss> PERFECT.

Tell me now - am I being unreasonable? Seriously. Am I?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You ladies are all sorts of useful. So please tell me if I've lost the plot on this. If I'm being overly picky, or I'm asking for the impossible, please don't be afraid to say.

I don't *feel* like it's impossible - because I've had rings and I have photos, y'know? But I'm also having a bit of a rough time, health-wise, so I might just be being overly emotional about this because time with my husband just feels finite and limited at this point, and 40 years together seems emblematic and...and...and just really important.

Ugh. This has become an emotional project, and that's always fatal. Trying to keep my objective hat on here and not doing that well at it. Which is why your opinions are important.

This piece is special.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think things will all become crystal clear once you see it. You will know for sure whether its right or wrong and trust your judgement. Then you can go from there!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dreamer_D - YES. I've seen this differing style issue within DKJ. Some benches do my favorite softy-curvy look - which I adore. And some are uber sharp and angular - which I hate. It really depends who I get on the piece, and since benches turn over fairly fast, from what I can see, the same bench may not even work there from one piece to the next. I don't know this - it's just my guess. Whoever did my first 3 stone ring from DKJ was NEVER the bench who did the latest one on this thread. Someone whose aesthetic is soft and curved and highly polished like that is never going to turn out those pokey angles. It's just a completely different aesthetic.
Yes, I agree. But Amy knows what you like, so shouldn't be surprised at your issues.

No. And this is my fault. I've done so many pieces with DKJ I >justkindaexpectthemtoknow< <polite cough>.

So now I feel like I'm being a PITN about this. But on the other hand - this is my 40th anniversary ring, and it's *very* important to me. So it has to be <chef's kiss> PERFECT.

Tell me now - am I being unreasonable? Seriously. Am I?
No, you are not. Again, they know you and what you like. If you didn't show them the inspo prongs it may just be a missed communication. But I also know that they will fix it for you.

You ladies are all sorts of useful. So please tell me if I've lost the plot on this. If I'm being overly picky, or I'm asking for the impossible, please don't be afraid to say.

I don't *feel* like it's impossible - because I've had rings and I have photos, y'know? But I'm also having a bit of a rough time, health-wise, so I might just be being overly emotional about this because time with my husband just feels finite and limited at this point, and 40 years together seems emblematic and...and...and just really important.

Ugh. This has become an emotional project, and that's always fatal. Trying to keep my objective hat on here and not doing that well at it. Which is why your opinions are important.

This piece is special.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having a rough time. Please feel/get better. And again, I know they will fix it for you. Just show them what you want. We both know that they are very accommodating and have benches that can accomplish this. Take care of yourself. That's the most important thing.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b I completely understand your angst with this rendering. It doesn’t have the refinement you are accustomed to. I also have no doubt that this can be tweaked to your standards or will be remade to them. I am sorry you’re having this issue with this special piece but I’m sure you’ll iron it out tomorrow with Amy. 40 years!! Amazing!
Sending ((hugs)).

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
No, no, this can be fixed. Just a slight shave and reshape should do it. They have plenty of material to refine.

* but find out which bench this is, they do lack the organic rounding to the mountings that you and I both prefer. It's good to know so requests for the bench that suits can be made.
** This picture is the CvB with the flatter profile prongs!
image_2024-05-16_213945825.png

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I totally understand and do not think you are being difficult. I am REALLY REALLY picky about prongs. I always asked for the smoothest and tiniest possible. Once they bother me.....its over. I know they will get it right for you! Congratulations on such an amazing milestone! You two are beautiful.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think what made your original so "alive" was how much size and heft variance there was in the various constituents of that gallery. I highlighted the variation that I see in your photo in different colours - putting all that dynamic range together yields liquid vitality.

By contrast - those components in the three-stone are very similar in width/depth/heft. It's a much more uniform look that will appeal to some people but I suspect perhaps not you @mrs-b.

Last edited:

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
@mrs-b the prongs supporting the pears do look unnecessarily large to me. I have to say that the different orientation of the prongs for the solitaire right next to that of the pears (unavoidable given the design) looks a bit jarring to me. Did you have any inspiration images which use prongs for the side stones that you were happy with and can provide to the bench?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think what made your original so "alive" was how much size and heft variance there was in the various constituents of that gallery. I highlighted the variation that I see in your photo in different colours - putting all that dynamic range together yields liquid vitality.

By contrast - those components in the three-stone are very similar in width/depth/heft. It's a much more uniform look that will appeal to some people but I suspect perhaps not you @mrs-b.

That's an incredibly astute observation, @yssie, and I'm sure that's a big part of it. To achieve the same effect, the basket would need to be made from a finer gauge wire.

I would also prefer for the 3 donuts to be cast as a single piece with the shank. To my eye, it looks too disconnected - shank + head - not one single ring.

Seeing those two rings side by side, the new ring simply isn't as "pretty". How do I fix this??

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also can't see the prongs from the pears running down to the donuts. They seem to emerge from the prongs supporting the center stone. What's that all about?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also can't see the prongs from the pears running down to the donuts. They seem to emerge from the prongs supporting the center stone. What's that all about?

A design choice? I doubt they’d say it’s structural. Unless that is what dictated the prong size overall.

On top of what Yssie has pointed out between the two and of course with you saying it’s not the layout you are wanting, I’m curious if what she’s pointing out is simply design choice - or method of manufacturing. Which touches on the benches subject you mentioned.

So please tell me if I've lost the plot on this. If I'm being overly picky, or I'm asking for the impossible
No, no, & no.

But I'm also having a bit of a rough time, health-wise

I am very sorry to hear this. Hope and prayer it smooths out soon.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results