shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on pre-loved BGD lab e-ring

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I have the opportunity to purchase a pre-loved e-ring from BGD.
It's a 2.5 "premium" E/VS1/Ideal set in a platinum tiffany classic setting
Apparently original price was 13K? I don't know when and I know prices have dropped. I also know the BGD Premium Labs definitely have a price tag.
Could someone suggest a fair resale price for this ring? Thanks!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Secondary market is between 30% and 50% off current retail value. Might be at the higher end for branded pieces like this, but I’d aim for 50% off retail.

Settings basically sell for a little over scrap value unless they are very unique or special. Like designer or antique. So don’t factor that into your offer at all.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I should clarify that she isn't asking 13K. That was the original purchase price.
She has slowly dropped the price to 5k. I still don't know if that's a good retail price given the drop in prices the last year?

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
I should clarify that she isn't asking 13K. That was the original purchase price.
She has slowly dropped the price to 5k. I still don't know if that's a good retail price given the drop in prices the last year?

That's more than I would pay - but it's probably in line with what BGD would command given the brand

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Secondary market is between 30% and 50% off current retail value. Might be at the higher end for branded pieces like this, but I’d aim for 50% off retail.

Settings basically sell for a little over scrap value unless they are very unique or special. Like designer or antique. So don’t factor that into your offer at all.

Using the closest listing on BGD site now - it's $6120. So 50% off of that?

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
That's more than I would pay - but it's probably in line with what BGD would command given the brand

I didn't want to pay that either, but I didn't want to insult with a low ball.

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock

In my opinion, 5k is not a good price, since you can get a brand new BG signature stone with opportunity for returns or exchanges for under $6,000, per @0-0-0 ’s post.

I’m sure the seller wants to recoup more of her original purchase price, but that’s just not where the lab market is right now.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
In my opinion, 5k is not a good price, since you can get a brand new BG signature stone with opportunity for returns or exchanges for under $6,000, per @0-0-0 ’s post.

I’m sure the seller wants to recoup more of her original purchase price, but that’s just not where the lab market is right now.

Would you be comfortable sharing what you think is a good price?

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
Would you be comfortable sharing what you think is a good price?

Do you know who made the setting, and would you need to have it re-sized?
I’d say about $3,000, maybe up to $4,000 if it’s a nice/designer setting and already in your size. I think what you’re comfortable paying is a personal thing—but I’d want to save at least that much off of retail in exchange for the risk of buying person-to-person on the secondhand market.
Also wanted to add: I have paid more than 50% off retail in situations where it was a piece that I really wanted, or it was hard to find new at the time, and other factors like that.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Do you know who made the setting, and would you need to have it re-sized?
I’d say about $3,000, maybe up to $4,000 if it’s a nice/designer setting and already in your size. I think what you’re comfortable paying is a personal thing—but I’d want to save at least that much off of retail in exchange for the risk of buying person-to-person on the secondhand market.
BGD did the setting. Yes I'd need to get it sized up about a half size. I was thinking 3K is about the spot for this ring. It is local to me so I would get to see it in person.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
I didn't want to pay that either, but I didn't want to insult with a low ball.

I'd pay what I think the stone is worth with no regard for the ring itself (unless there are the high quality melee stones that BGD used to use). For me, that would be somewhere around $3k

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I'd pay what I think the stone is worth with no regard for the ring itself (unless there are the high quality melee stones that BGD used to use). For me, that would be somewhere around $3k

Thanks. The setting is the tiffany classic knife edge - no stones. Basic platinum setting.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Using the closest listing on BGD site now - it's $6120. So 50% off of that?

Yes I would be aiming for half of that retail comparable. So around $k as others have mentioned. But I just realized this is a lab diamond. I am not sure the resale market is as strong for lab stones. I have noticed many sit on loupetroop for a long time, and sell for very low prices. This is a branded cut, so perhaps it holds a little more value, but I might be tempted to go even lower personally. But I am a very cheap buyer lol

Sellers usually don't realize how much diamonds depreciate in value after they buy them. I have noticed that lab diamonds in particular don't seem to hold value. So I'm not surprised that the seller is asking $5k. They compare that to what they spent (irrelevant), and even mentally compare it to the cost of a diamond now and think to themselves "well its $1k less than the diamond and a free setting! Isn't that a great deal?" Except that's just not how it works. As we have mentioned, mountings are basically scrap value on the secondary market. Some private sellers do some around quickly and realize the realities of the market. But it can take some time.

Finally, if you really love this ring and its exactly what you want, and saving 1-2k is worth it to you, then it could be worth paying more! Value is really up to you in this situation.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
PS do you have a loupe and are you comfortable examining the diamond to ensure it matches the lab report and has no damage? Food for thought in this scenario.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I have the opportunity to purchase a pre-loved e-ring from BGD.
It's a 2.5 "premium" E/VS1/Ideal set in a platinum tiffany classic setting
Apparently original price was 13K? I don't know when and I know prices have dropped. I also know the BGD Premium Labs definitely have a price tag.
Could someone suggest a fair resale price for this ring? Thanks!

I would go elsewhere. Prices on lab diamonds have dropped quite steeply from just a couple of years ago. Plenty of lab diamonds are ideal cut and that's a basic setting. You can get a very similar ring new for about $2,000 these days. For ex:

Last edited:

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Yes I would be aiming for half of that retail comparable. So around $k as others have mentioned. But I just realized this is a lab diamond. I am not sure the resale market is as strong for lab stones. I have noticed many sit on loupetroop for a long time, and sell for very low prices. This is a branded cut, so perhaps it holds a little more value, but I might be tempted to go even lower personally. But I am a very cheap buyer lol

Sellers usually don't realize how much diamonds depreciate in value after they buy them. I have noticed that lab diamonds in particular don't seem to hold value. So I'm not surprised that the seller is asking $5k. They compare that to what they spent (irrelevant), and even mentally compare it to the cost of a diamond now and think to themselves "well its $1k less than the diamond and a free setting! Isn't that a great deal?" Except that's just not how it works. As we have mentioned, mountings are basically scrap value on the secondary market. Some private sellers do some around quickly and realize the realities of the market. But it can take some time.

Finally, if you really love this ring and its exactly what you want, and saving 1-2k is worth it to you, then it could be worth paying more! Value is really up to you in this situation.

I wasn't really sure how they hold their value either. My wedding set is BGD so I have experience with their quality. Although it's been 13 years. But really the reason I posted here is to get a feel for what people think the resale market is. It's possible she will get the 5K from someone that is just looking to save a buck. Rather than someone with actual market / resale knowledge.

Yes I have a loupe. I don't know if this one is laser inscribed or not but I would at least "try" to match it up. However I think I'm probably going to pass on it. I was initially shopping for an oval and came across this. I thought maybe if I could get it for a decent price I'd go with it and get the oval later. But I'll probably just pass at this point. It's possible she will drastically reduce the price as I think it's from a broken engagement. I'll just observe.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results