shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
Paul,

I''m in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA. I do have a computer at home, I just don''t have it hooked up to the internet. My fiance has a computer hooked up to the internet at her house and I have a computer at work that has internet access as well. But at my house, just a computer and no internet. So I usually have to burn things to CD to transport the files. Which I was going to do this morning but the wedding ring reference that I rebuilt in size 7 was still ray tracing the image. I started it last night before bed and it ran all night. I tried to get a couple shots I took a couple days ago but my CD burning program is giving me problems. I''ll try to get it cleared up tonight.

As for the e-ring. I plan on starting that tonight. The wedding band didn''t take long to build but it also isn''t exact so... I''m going to try to be a little more precise with the e-ring even though we just need an rough idea of how it will work.

So, I''m guessing you are in France then Paul? That makes our time zones a tad different but not a bad thing. ;-)

I''ll have more after tonight! I have a free night tonight to work on it! w00t!

-jason

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been off PS for a few days but just wanted to check in.....Paul, aren''t you glad you found PS?
2.gif
Jason, I''m SO excited to see the CAD!! I love all the various pics people are posting...it does look like it''s the width/height of the head (and not the shank being tapered/untapered) that would affect the flush-ness of the bands. It''s going to be GREAT!!!

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
Well, I finally got my CD burner working. Just downloaded some new software for burning CDs. I did get a chance to work on the ring a little last night. I created the very bottom portion of the e-ring, the prongs and the very bottom of the basket. I need to add another ring around the basket to add strength to the prongs. I put it as close as I could get it to the wedding band without having a gap. The prongs basically go straight up for the height of the wedding band then curve out to hold the diamond. I took a screenshot but PLEASE keep in mind that this is very limited and doesn''t have nearly as much stuff there yet. This is only a work in progress so take note to that please. I have to put the pears on either side as well. I also have to add to the shank of the e-ring but am waiting until I put the pears on.

Here is the first picture of the wedding band reference. Does the wedding band look something like this? It is 3mm wide. The e-ring is also going to be 3mm wide.

Hope this looks okay so far.
jason

paulWband02.jpg

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
Another view of the wedding band. I made this using just that one reference picture that you gave in the first post Paul. Is this what the wedding band kinda looks like?

-jason

paulWband04Size7.jpg

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
Here is the picture with the start of the e-ring. What I want you to look at is the shape of the prongs. Don't worry about the rest of it yet. Will this be okay? Are you willing to have the prongs look like this? This might be the shape we need to use if we want no gap between the two rings. I'll be adding another support donut/circle around the base of the diamond on the e-ring to make it look more like the vatche design. But the basket definitely doesn't have the same shape as the vatche.

The dimensions are as follows. The diamond is about 5.12mm diameter and approximately 5mm from the table of the diamond to the bottom of the basket (well, what there is of the basket so far.) So, the top of the diamond will be 5mm off the top of her finger. Which isn't really too high.

Question for the ladies that are reading. How tall does your ring stand? Could some of you measure for me? I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!

NOTE: THIS IS ONLY A WORK IN PROGRESS! NOT A FINISHED DESIGN!

-jason

paulWband05Size7.jpg

Rube

Shiny_Rock
I love this post... I just had to say it. You guys are all working so well together, and for such a good cause! A woman you love AND jewelry! I really enjoyed following Ukieza's progress on his own ring- and this is exciting to see something like it again!

Best of luck!
35.gif

ETA: the ring is beautiful so far!

Iceberg

Rough_Rock
Hi Jason. The screenshots you posted are a true picture of all the effort you are putting into the design of my girl''s e-ring.

I''m certain it isn''t an easy task. Meticulous and time consuming. Beautiful effort !! Thank you.

I''m leaving for the cottage with the love of my life. I will not post ''till Monday or tuesday.

By the way, I live in Canada. Ottawa, the capital. Pretty much everyone is bilingual here (French and English).

Bye for now.

- Paul

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jason,

very cool design. I love seeing the process unfold. my old solitaire setting was 8mm. it seemed a little high at first but I got used to it and it never bothered me. maybe if you can raise the e-ring a little bit you can do something a little different with the prongs
1.gif

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
Paul, thanks. Have a great weekend!

mrssalvo, awesome. I went and measured the ring I did to see how tall it was and it was probably 5.5-6mm tall. So, if I went 5mm here that would be quite low. I think we have some room for growth so I could move it up a tad to get the basket to look a little different. Maybe I''ll make a second basket after this one so we can get more ideas. I did a little more work on it last night. I replaced the centerstone with a stone that looks like an actual diamond. A little smaller crown with bigger table and deeper pavillion. So that will be nice. I also placed the pears but haven''t given them prongs/baskets yet. I''ll have to add that soon.

As for my progress, I have my parents and my sister with her family in town this weekend so I imagine I won''t get too much done. Maybe some on Sunday. Regardless, I need to get moving on this if Paul needs it in November. Custom takes a while to do. Unless he goes WF or Quest. ;-) hehe.

Anyway, thanks for your help mrssalvo. That number helped a ton!

-jason

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
Jason! You are doing such a wonderful job. The work in progress looks great.
36.gif
Thank you for showing us the pics!

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
The top of the stone in my ring is 9-10mm off the finger.

Iceberg

Rough_Rock
BLUENOSE !!!!!

How are you pretty lady ? Thank you for the thread. I fell in love , again, with the sapphires/diamond combination. Outstanding. It makes the look of the diamond stick out soooooooooooo much.

By the way, should you be interested, I have a new post. It''s in the Rocky Talky under '' DiamCalc anyone ? ''

I am discussing my newly purchased diamond.

Have a look.

Can''t wait to see Jason''s work......remember, it will be called the PS Blueroses Special

By the way, here''s a horror story. I bought the diamond two days ago and today, when I got back from work, I have a message on my answering machine from my credit card company asking me to call them (yes, I did make payment with my credit card (got to accumulate them points). I was FURIOUS !!!!!!! They were calling because of the expensive purchase I had done. I could buy a car with my credit card. They mentioned that it was for precautionary mesures. I asked them '' what do you mean precautionary mesures against possible fraud ? Why have you given me such a high credit limit in the first place ? Isn''t it because of my impecable credit hystory ? So, why verify a single purchase ? If my girlfriend would of heard the message, SHE might of called to inquirer AND would of heard about the purchase AND asked me to explain !!!! I would of died. I would of cried !! I would of been heartbroken. Blueroses, you know the efforts I have put in and, aside from the hours spent looking for the diamond (a month and a half), I have put in a lot of hours to make this beautiful ring come true.

OK. I''m calm now !!! Deep breaths.

Which reminds me. I''ve got to erase the message. Buggers !!

BTW, would you know how I can copy all the postings on this thread for memories sake ? Please tell me it will be possible. I means a lot to me.

Your friend,

Paul

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Wow Jason...I am in awe.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Iceburg.

I too can''t wait to see the progress on your ring. sounds like your stone is a winner too
36.gif

I think all you would have to do is print these pages and you''ll have them forever
1.gif

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
Paul,

Wow, close call on the answering machine. But, it is a good thing that your credit card company was looking out for you. I too would be mad but if they called me on a purchase that wasn''t surprised I don''t think I would be as upset. *shrugs*

As for progress. I added a little more but haven''t had a chance to work on it the past week. My fiance and I finally found a house and we close on it Sept 23rd. I move in but she will not until we are married. So my life has been busy. Not to mention we interviewed 2 photographers after work last week for the wedding in June. Between arranging wedding plans, packing up my place and making sure paper/money is in place for the house I''ve been busy. This weekend I will have some time to work on it though. Whew. ;-)

I''ve added the side stones and built the shank up a bit. I need to add the metal halo below the centerstone and the holders for the side stones yet. I''ll bring pictures as soon as I get some more progress!

Sorry that I''ve been so busy but I promise I''ll get some more done on it.

-jason

Iceberg

Rough_Rock
Jason !!

How you doin'' ?

Glad you sent me a note. It''s ok. take your time. I fully understand all the time and effort this endeavor must be taking you. Jason listen, what you are doing is .......time consuming.....for you and....now that I''m hearing that you are buying a house (got to park all of them motorcycles !!) so, should you be having second thoughts to the idea of creating the setting....It''s ok. I feel bad....I really do. I knew it would taken time and effort from you and that you offered but...I still want to let you know that (in case you already thought of it and considering you''re one heck of a guy, you did not have the heart to ask me) to forget about the whole thing.

Jason, it''s your call. No hard feelings. As a mater of fact, I would be relieved, I do think ''bout you almost everyday (professionally that is
32.gif
) and the thought had come to MY mind that maybe you had started something more than you could chew.

I feel so bad. I really do.
8.gif
Whatever YOUR decision, I''ll support it my friend.

Paul

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Paul, I am relatively clueless w/ the more scientific stuff, but I thought the Diamcalc stuff looked FABULOUS!! Congrats on a wonderful center stone--it is going to be just STUNNING with those sapphires setting it off!!

You must have been absolutely livid at the credit card company--a little discretion on their parts, honestly--they coudl have ruined it!!!!
29.gif
29.gif

Sounds like good progress is being made!!!! Keep us posted....it''s going to be SO PRETTY!!!!
30.gif
30.gif

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
Paul,

I have been working on this project a bit here and there when I get time. After I move into my house it''ll be a little different for how much time I have. Right now, just a tad busy. I move 1 week from Sunday.

As for if we should drop this project completely. I say No. The main reason why I''m doing anything is so you get an idea of what to tell your jeweler when you go to have it made. You are planning on giving it to her in November? Late or early? If early, you should start talking with your choosen jeweler ASAP.

I do wish to continue this but the only thing I would be worried about is getting it done on time that you wish to have it done. I had a chance to work the shank that comes up to the pears. I''m worked a tad on the pear setting/halo last night a bit. I have ideas and techinically speaking it shouldn''t take much longer before I have a good rough pic to show you for it. I don''t have the lower halo for the centerstone and haven''t worked on smoothing edges but that is just a last thing to do. We want the idea of how it looks with the wedding band mostly right? Are you planning on taking my pictures to the jeweler and tell him to make precisely what I have created for you? Or do you want to have the pictures so he can use it as a reference? Let me know.

I think I''ll have some time this weekend to work on it. So that will be good. I have it rendering another screenshot at home as we speak.

Have a great day!
jason (Ukieza)

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
A quick view with the pears in place. This is a screenshot I got before last night's work. I added some to hold the pears last night. They are just floating in this picture. Also, the band that comes up to meet the pears has changed too. I rebuilt that last night because I didn't like the ones I had. It was too chunky, I thinned it up a bit. Now it's much better looking, in my opinion. I also used a different technique that made my life easier by 30 times. ;-)

I'll try to get some more CAD screenshots today for you. The shots I've been showing you have been rendered which take the computer about 10-14 hours to produce. Great thing for my computer to do while I'm sleeping and at work. ;-)

paulWband06Size7.jpg

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
Here is just the engagement ring from the side. Please note that this is just a quick screen grab from my CAD program. Not a nice render like the other ones I posted. Just a crude pic to show you just the band. The setting, as I said, isn''t done yet. I don''t have prongs to hold the pears just the halo style things. When I finish this piece it will be much more smooth and rounded. It''s just sharp angles right now because it''s a work in progress. ;-) Smoothing with fillets and blends happens when I''m done with major construction.

paulCAD01.jpg

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
Another, with the diamonds, sapphires and wedding band in place. I want you to notice that I tapered the shank a little bit on the engagement band so it meets the sapphires a little better. It was too chunky looking before and didn't look anything like the D.Vatche. Now it looks a little closer. I know you don't want taper too much but I think it makes it look more elegant. Here is where you come in and say 'Yes' or 'No' to that design aspect. This is for you not me. ;-)

Don't worry about the sharp angles of the shank meeting the sapphire. I'll put more material in there to make it smooth. Just rough for idea and concept. ;-)

-jason

paulCAD02.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh Jason, that is soooo cool. the ring looks like it coming along very nicely

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jason, it looks great!!!
36.gif

Iceberg

Rough_Rock
Jason

Outstanding work !!!
36.gif
Thank you so much for all this beautiful effort.

When am I planning to give the ring (do the proposal ) ? Mid November.

I gather it will take 2-3 weeks for the wax. 2-3 weeks for the make of the ring. Six weeks (a month and a half). So, I guess your drawings will have to be shown to the jeweller during the first week of October. Although, I''ve waited a lifetime to find a woman to share my life, what''s the rush in asking ? NONE !!!!

Yes, I did plan to ask in november but, I''m willing to wait....''till December 2nd (my b-day...she gives me a gift, I''ll give her mine. Hee hee hee). Although, I don''t think that mixing two celebrations (my b-day and proposal) would be a good thing. BUT, it will have to be BEFORE Christmas.

You asked ''Are you planning on taking my pictures to the jeweler and tell him to make precisely what I have created for you? Or do you want to have the pictures so he can use it as a reference? '' I guess a little bit of both. I may lean a little more on reference.

I clearly understood your slightly tapered shank dillemma. I agree, it will give it a more refine look. (less bulky).

Also, regarding the Diamond''s basket having been raised, I also had imagine it to be the ONLY way to get the rings to be as close as possible. Moreover, I also wondered if that would of made the ring too high. I wish the ladies could of responded to the high of their ring. Tell me Jason, what''s your girl''s e-ring height compared to mine ? What I mean to say is, what is too high ? I guess that where a jeweller''s expertise comes in handy (that''s his full time job !!) and that is why I had replied that I would be using a llittle bit of both for reference sake. (please understand my friend, I certainly do not intend to offend you work).

Glad you agree to keep on with the task. Thanks again FRIEND !!!

Paul
1.gif

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
Paul,

No worries about offending me. I was just asking because then I know how much I have to refine it. I''m quite alright with you just using it as reference. I''m sure that''s all that the jeweler will want anyway. When I had my fiance''s ring made, they didn''t use my design as reference. They took the actual file and built the ring from that file. My file, to their machine, straight to wax. Talk about nerve racking. I was quite nervous that I did something wrong and it would show up in the end product. But all was fine.

So, using it a little of both works GREAT for me!
2.gif
I will have time when I get into my house. So I''m guessing that I can have a lot of it done before the end of this month. My fiance has a conference all next week and I move this weekend. That means a little unpacking here and there and a lot of free time for myself at night! Good for ring work.

As for your question about how tall my fiance''s ring is. The one I''m designing for you is a tad shorter than my fiance''s design. I know my fiance''s was under 6mm tall but I think the end product came out even shorter. I''m sure the jeweler will have more information on how tall most are. I think that if you want it as low as possible then we should design that and then let the jeweler do as needed.

Also, thank you WTNLVR for posting the height of your stone. Paul and I both really appreciate it. Maybe I''ll start a new thread Paul to ask people. We should get more of a response that way.

-jason

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
Paul,

Did you see the thread I opened about how tall rings are? Do you have a preference on height from that? I think if we try to stay under 6mm we should be good to go. What do you think?

-jason

Iceberg

Rough_Rock
Hi Jason.

I did see the new posting. I sent you a reply via e-mail yesterday. Seems not to have worked. So, After having taken all infos into account, I was leaning towards 7mm.

Aghhhhhh !!! YOU are proposing 6mm. I''m now very confused.

I wish the experts from GOG, WF...and others would participate and help us in establishing the average height.

Jason, while looking at the threads yesterday of the replies for the height, a ring was posted by Paula C. I then clicked on her name and researched the threads she posted. From this I was able to find more pictures of her ring. I believe it was 7mm. AND the height seamed good to me but, what do I know ?

Is 7mm too high ? Is 6mm ok ? Would 7mm be appropriate for me or would 6mm be better ?

Jason ! You are the designer
20.gif
. I trust you suggestion for 6. You can see it by your diagrams. I cannot. Maybe we should write WF and ask the height of their Vatche.

Honestly Jason, if I wrote 10mm, you''d tell me '' no way !''If I said 4mm you''d say ''no'' so, you take the lead and set it as you feel would be most appropriate. Ya, I know, tough decision, 6 or 7 ?? Visually, what seems better to YOU ?
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif

Trust you instincts !!! I do
35.gif

Paul

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
Strangely enough the preferred height in Australia and in other countries I have worked in. (I haven''t worked in the states) is as low as it can go, but within reason. The only alteration on this is if the design warrants a higher stone. I am not sure if this helps? (There are some lovely designs here BTW). The combination you are after works best with sapphires as big as you can logistically fit, because (on the finger) smaller dark sapphires are overawed by good diamonds, but a nice quality light royal blue set won''t go astray.

Iceberg

Rough_Rock
Everytime I read a posting from someone living in Australia, it makes me smile. You guys are simple. You are telling me that, on rings, heights are kept low and, in the past, I believe I have read that any diamond over a carat was considered large. Consequently, bigger is not better in Australia. A refreshing view. If only we could be like this here in North America (I live in Canada), simplicity could be regarded as adequate and charming and save us so much money. I too believe that anything over a carat is too big but....

If there''s one thing I have learned, it is that we all have but one life to live and we should respect anyone''s decision ''cause, they are just living THEIR life. So, if anyone wants to get a huge diamond for their ring, I say go ahead and may it bring you a lifetime worth of smiles. Live life as you want and respect others. I love it when I read someone posting as to their newly purchased diamond and reading the enthusiam/joy/happiness they get from the diamond. GO for it !!

As far as the size of sapphires goes, you''re mainly just going to want to make sure that your center diamond is larger than the side stones. From my research, it looks best if the center diamond is at least a millimeter and a half larger -- my center diamond measures just over 5mm so, the side sapphires needed to be 3mm wide so this should give an attractive proportion.

I have purchased Fine Thai blue sapphires because it had to match the ''I love you ring'' I have given my girl which, will eventually be used for the wedding band.

Kind regards,

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results