shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock

Joining late, but better late than never. I think the prong set looks better since the original "I love you" band (which I think btw is SO sweet) is also prong set. The bezel set is lovely too, but I just prefer the prongs over it.

Whatever you decide, she will love it! She is very lucky to have such a wonderful man doing all this research for this ring. Let us know what you decide when you get back!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
I've been off all day but wanted to visit this thread again!! Paul, hopefully you'll have a great week off and come back w/ a new set of eyes to re-confirm what you want for the design!

The semi-bezel/prong combo does sound interesting, and I like that pic you posted.....I'm on the fence. I wonder if the totally prong-set one would have more of a design continuity w/ the w-band, as everyone has said? I think both options could totally work, though. If you're doing a custom-version of this, then perhaps you could get a sketch or CAD of each, or discuss the options w/ the bench jeweler? I think both would work very well with your parameters either way and be gorgeous!!

"See" you soon back on PS!
:)
Blue(nose)roses
3.gif

(p.s. FLower and BrightSpot, thanks for the kind words!!
9.gif
)

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
Bluenose, you are so pretty. BF is cute too.

Iceberg, I finally understand what you mean by ''half circle''. I think it is a really great look- if matching the existing band were not a consideration I would vote half bezel all the way. But for the sake of continuity I think prong set is the way to go.

In summary and in conclusion:
- UN-tapered shank
- prong set pears and center
- Bluenose is a cutie pie

Ooooooo, I can''t wait to see this baby come to life!!!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2005 11:45:09 PM
Author: MrsFrk
Bluenose, you are so pretty. BF is cute too.

In summary and in conclusion:
- UN-tapered shank
- prong set pears and center
- Bluenose is a cutie pie

Ooooooo, I can''t wait to see this baby come to life!!!
MrsFrsk, I
emlove.gif
you!....your little bulleted list just made me laugh out loud!! I love PS people--you guys are the best!

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
PS is the shizzle.

I showed my husband your "Night at Pricescope" masterpiece, he cracked up and declared "you guys are all outta your got damn minds. It''s pathetic that I know what pave is". He''s relieved that I have somewhere to indulge my jewelry junkie-ness.

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
You all are out of your minds. ;-) j/k It was fun reading the posts and seeing everyone going crazy to help Paul.

If you want some help with the CAD work Paul let me know. I''m no expert designer but I did design my fiance''s ring with Rhino and wouldn''t mind getting into doing another ring in CAD for fun. If it can help someone then great!!

Have a great time off! See you back soon!
jason (Ukieza)

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
Wow, I''m getting better at this. I can kill threads now with just one post. It use to take me a couple. ;-) j/k

Sorry Paul. hehe..

-jason

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
aw jason, you didn''t kill the thread. I think Paul''s recieved a lot of helpful info and now it''s up to him to decide which direction he''s going to go. Without him chiming in to let us know what he''s thinking it''s hard to keep it going, we''d be just throwing out more ideas, if there are any left
31.gif

Iceberg

Rough_Rock
Hi Jason

I''m at a friends place. I never thought I would have had access to the net while on vacation but...I''ve so anxious regarding the setting, I just had to look at PS.

Would you really be willing to give it a try and sketch my dream setting? It would be awsome ! Afterwards, along with pictures I have and the sketch, I"ll take it to the designer I found and have it made.

So go ahead my man ! Use Vatche''s design as your base. I will be going with the majority vote: PRONGS !! Actually, exactly like Vatche''s designed it except with my blue pear-shapped sapphires ( 5 X 3mm ) instead of diamonds and UNTAPERRED.

Diamond is a .51 AGS 0, G, VS2

Jason, you ''rock'' my friend!

Can''t wait to see the end result. MORE THAN ANYTHING, I can''t wait to show the end result to everyone on PS.

I think I''ll call my setting the '' PS Blueroses edition''.

Blueroses.....you are a Goddess. You are a sweetheart ! You are the reason I found my setting and all my newly found friends on PS help out tremendously with their valuable input.

Bless you all !

Paul

P.S. I still laugh at the fact that I used to say '' Bluenose ''.
17.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Awwwww!!!! Thank you for such a nice post, Paul!!!
35.gif
35.gif

(And you''re in good hands w/ Jason giving your design a whirl w/ CAD....he did an AMAZING job w/ his fiance''s ring!!)

I''m so glad this is working out!! I would be HONORED to have the "PS Blueroses edition"...teehee....or at least the bluenose edition!!!
3.gif

Have a great vacation, and keep us posted.....your ring is going to "rock"!!

Iceberg

Rough_Rock
Jason, I have just read Blueroses'' posting and learned that your design could be viewed on PS.

I found it and I now do respect your ability to create a sketch and am highly confident in the end result. You did an AMAZING job w/ your fiance''s ring!!

Breathtaking ! Beautiful work my friend. Your fiance must be so proud ! It''s unique and was created by her beau.

I can''t wait to see your work on my setting. How will I ever be able to repay you ?

It''s going to be amazing to see. If need be, I''ll send you my e-mail address for you to forward it to me.

Please take your time. All works of art took time...just like a lasting relationship should. One should not rush...please don''t !!

Thanks again.

Paul

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
Okay.. cool. I'll start working on this.

Couple quick questions. I know when I did my ring that the height of the centerstone was important to be low. Is this the same for you? I know you want something that will have the current wedding/promise band sit flush against the e-ring. Which leads me to ask. Will they be seperate when worn? Meaning they won't be attached after the wedding? How tall is the current ring? Meaning from the part that touches her finger to the top of the tallest point on the wedding ring. I'll try to get it so there is no gap between the two rings. Only issue would be if you want the centerstone set as low as possible. What size are the stones in the wedding band?

Let me get definitions clear in my head. By untappered you mean, when looking at it from the side that the bottom isn't smaller than the top.. or vice versa right? Or do you mean when taking a cut view of the shank it looks like a V on top? I'm guessing not small at the bottom and larger shank width at the top.

The wedding band is beautiful, btw. I'm excited to see how this will look!

jason

Iceberg

Rough_Rock
Jason.

Height of the ring. I expect it not to be much higher than the sapphires. She''s an athlete so, I wouldn''t want the ring to snag everywhere. I also wouldn''t want the diamond to stand tall as if on a pedestal. She wholesome and reserved. Consequently, not the type to show off. She''s a good church going type of girl. The diamond would therefore only need to stand out a tad. Although, I thought that Vatche''s design protrayed that very same concept of not having a diamond standing out like mad.

Yes! the e-ring will need to sit flush with the band...untaperred.

Will they be separate when worn ? Hummmmm, I guess so. Isn''t it always? No, they wont be attached after the wedding. I feel like I''m on a quiz show and hoping that my answers are the correct ones.

How tall is the current ring ???? Oh Boy ! Jason, I have no clue ! Can I buy a voyel ? Is there an alternate pronunciation ?
Is it critical to the design ? Jason, my answer that its a size 7 ring.

The e-ring needs to be 3mm wide.

Diamond .51 ( so I guess that''s 5 mm )
Sapphires 5 X 3mm

Untaperred to me means; no thinning of the band at any point... especially where the sapphires are since this is where a gap is created. End result is NO gap between the band and the e-ring. Flush. So, we would not want the shank to come up to a point to meet the point holding the bottom part of the sapphire or the pointy point of the pear. The band would therefore need to be continuous all around with the pointy bracket holding the pear sitting in the middle of the band.

Look at the pics of vatche''s design. It seems to do that. Our job is to make sure it does.

Funny you wrote that you are excited to see how it will look like. I''m dying to see it myself.

Hope my crude explanations will be of help. I guess you could start and we can always do the adjustment afterwards that is, if need be.

Jason, I am honored by your generosity. Thanks.

A friend,

Paul

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
It''s going to be AWESOME!!!
36.gif
36.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh this is soooo cool. I can''t wait to see it
36.gif

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
Paul,

Your descriptions are fine. I also am not an expert so I don't know the official terms either. I just seemed to really enjoy doing the design for my fiance and wouldn't mind doing another.

I'm having a bit of trouble so far. The challenge will be to keep the height of the centerstone low. On the Vatche design, the piece that that holds the centerstone (we'll call it a basket) has rather large and wide sides below the girdle of the diamond. Trying to put a ring up against this as is will leave a gap. I'll design the basket so the wedding band fits tighter to the e-ring band.

I would design the ring differently if I knew the two would be welded or soldered together. That's why I asked. I know my fiance wants to beable to wear just the wedding band without the e-ring. When we have kids and she changes diapers she doesn't want to get the e-ring dirty with baby stuff.
28.gif
Some people just weld or solder the two together but then they can't be worn seperately. That's why I asked. hehe.

As for the design. I did build the wedding band last night and brought in screenshots on CD but my system at work doesn't want to read the CD. *shrugs* I don't have the internet at home yet, so I transport everything by CDRW.
28.gif
I made the wedding band a size 6 1/2 so I'll just rebuild that quickly. I also made the assumption that the wedding/promise band is 3mm wide as well. It seemed to work well with 7 stones. I didn't do anything fancy for the prongs though. I wouldn't mind having another picture of your wedding band. Or a way to look it up so I could do a better job building that. It would help for matching the wedding band to the e-ring. I didn't get much time last night because I had to pull a carberator off one of my motorcycles and so I could get it running again. To no avail.

Anyway, yeah, your info is very helpful. The more specific about your wants and needs the better for me. I found that most jewelers I worked with when trying to get my ring done was they wanted less so they had as much freedom as they wanted. I want to build it the way you want it done. Anyone else reading this know what type of wedding band that is so I could get more reference pictures?

Also, Paul, do you know the size of the diamonds and sapphires on the wedding band? If we want to build the e-ring and see how it looks next to the wedding band then I want to build the wedding band with a fair amount of accuracy.
28.gif

Thanks!
jason

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Jason,
here is some pics of k-mons Vatche ring like Paul wants. with that design a wedding band cannot sit flush. as you can see her wedding band is curved around it. You''ll have to modify the basket for the rings to sit flush
1.gif

newprongscollage.jpg

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
Awesome! Thanks for the pics mrssalvo. You're fantastic! I like the lower right picture. Gives me a good idea of the way the baskets are attached to the ring. I'm guessing Paul doesn't want the same prong style as this ring. Just 4 prongs rather than the 4 double prongs. ;-) These pictures help though!

How about the wedding band he currently has? The 7 stone with 4 prongs holding each stone. I can't find much other than it looking like something Morris & David style with the prongs. I can't find a ring like this online though. Anyone know of good places to look for reference pics?

-jason

Iceberg

Rough_Rock
Oh Boy !

Jason, never did I ever imagine that you would of encountered so much trouble in designing my e-ring. I now understand the concept. Especially, the one regarding the basket which will hold the diamond. By itself, it creates a gap ! So, even if the ring is untaperred, that is, as far as the sapphires are concerned, there will be a gap created by the diamond''s basket.

The diamonds on the e-ring are: 4 X .07. As for the sapphires, there are no dimensions given.

Second, as far as the height of the ring is concerned (Vatche''s) it seems perfect... TO ME !!

Again, concerning the gaps between the rings......Jason, I''m worried that, you or anyone else, may not succeed at designing a ring which won''t allow for any gaps to be present.

Am I wrong ? Should we simply forget attempting the impossible ? It seems, at least to me (one who is totally ignorant to the laws of rings design), that it will be an impossible task to accomplish.

I leave it to you Jason to decide. I''ll respect any decision you will propose.

As far as the 4 double prongs...you have me perplexed. Do we go for it ? Thereby maintaining Vatche''s design (who, I regard as a true expert at ring design). Why did you bring up that we should go with 4 single prongs ? Would it be simpler for you in your design for the basket to be less of a '' gap '' maker ?

Jason, honest, feel at ease as far as the design is concerned. Trust your instints. I trust you.

Paul

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait a minute... if you like the Vatche round-with-pears, than there are off the rack settings like that. The trick to avoind a gap between centre and pears is to have them match the size of the setting. This is of course straightforward for a custom setting, but if it so happens for a ready-made one, why not. Some are not bad at all and the finish makes quite some difference, really.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I thought I would chime in here even though you''ve already had lots of help. I have a radiant cut diamond with pear sapphire sides and a wedding band to match. I had to have the wedding band curved around the e-ring in order to have the two rings sit flush. I don''t know if there''s any way you will be able to get the two bands to sit flush without going the custom route and taking your project to an experienced jeweler. All of the settings you were looking at were very nice, but I''m pretty sure none of them will sit flush with the wedding band you have. So, just keep that in mind, and if you can, have her try on one of the stock settings at a store with her wedding band to make sure she likes the look.

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t wait to see the final result. It sounds yummy
emsmile.gif

Iceberg

Rough_Rock

Jason.

I wrote that the diamonds on the e-ring were 4 X .07. I hope you understood that I was talking about the band.

Coda72 wrote that we should look into curving the band to fit the e-ring. Since I already have the band, it''s too late. Consequently, it is not an option. Sorry Coda72 : (

Paul

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Iceberg,
The Vatche ring comes with single prongs. K-mom had here ring custom changed to the spit prongs. there are some before pictures of her setting on here somewhere.

as for the gap/no-gap thing. If her eterntiy band is low enough and the setting is raised just a touch it could very well sit right next to the basket where it looks flush.

here''s a picture of precisionset''s 3 stone with band sitting flush. it can be done
36.gif

ff30.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
this pic shows how the heads are raised to allow the w-bands to sit flush. there wasn''t any great pics of three-stones from the side but this one will give you an idea

ff4.jpg

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/23/2005 8:00:15 AM
Author: Iceberg

Jason.

I wrote that the diamonds on the e-ring were 4 X .07. I hope you understood that I was talking about the band.

Coda72 wrote that we should look into curving the band to fit the e-ring. Since I already have the band, it''s too late. Consequently, it is not an option. Sorry Coda72 : (

Paul

I know that you already have the wedding band, you must have misunderstood me. In order to get an e-ring that is flush with your wedding band, you may have to have it custom designed. You cannot expect that any off the rack setting will sit flush with your wedding band. Your other option is like Mrssalvo said get a precision set e-ring and it may sit flush with your wedding band. You can go to precisionset.com and see their selection there and also locate a jeweler in your area who carries these.

drk

Brilliant_Rock
Love the ideas for your engagement ring so far. Have you tried on three-stone settings next to your band? I initially wanted to have an e-ring that would fit flush with a simple band, but decided on a half-bezel setting that leaves a small gap between the e-ring and band. I actually really like the look of the gap now - I feel like it makes both rings look a little more delicate, even though they''re each 4-5mm wide. Maybe not sitting flush wouldn''t be a big deal to your girl either?
I''ll be interested to see how your design comes along. Good luck!

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
Paul,

My unprofessional opinion on if we should go forward with this ring or not.. I say yes. Why not? If we do custom then almost anything is possible. I''ll just have to design the basket so it gives the room necessary to the wedding band. That''s why it was important to know the how tall the wedding band is. That way I can really get a feel for where I can start the flair out of the basket''s prongs for the centerstone. If I have that info then we''ll know how low we can get that centerstone for your athletic gf.

Anyway, I''ll have a go at design and if you don''t like the way it looks or feel the centerstone will be too high, then we should throw away the idea and try for something different. I''m going to tell you right now that the basket will look different than the vatche you like. If you saw the ring that I designed, it''ll have that ''S'' curve style to allow room for the wedding band. The advantage we have here is I can put a halo slightly under the girdle to add strength so the diamond is kept secure. Since you want a 3mm wide shank on the e-ring I don''t think we''ll have any issues with the pears. It''ll just be the centerstone''s basket that I''ll have to work.

I have started creating the wedding band so I have a reference to put up against the wedding band. So you stated that the diamonds on e-ring will be 4x.07mm ?? That''s the band. So the band is 4mm by .07mm? Or do you mean .7mm? That seems awful thin for the band.

As for my four prong statement, I was talking about the basket of the centerstone on the reference pictures that mrssalvo put in this thread. Nothing to be concerned about.

Mrssalvo, those pictures are beautiful, but it appears one of them is tappered and paul has a requirement of 3mm for the shank. So, I''ll go with that.
28.gif
Those pictures will give me some ideas though of what I can do with the basket... but I''ll try to have it as close to the vatche as I can.

Hope this helps... Don''t worry Paul, we''ll give this a try. I hope to have some time tonight to do some work on it. I''ll try to bring in screenshots tomorrow.

-jason

Iceberg

Rough_Rock

Screenshots !!

What a feeling. Actually, what a rush !!

As for the 4 X .07mm. I''ve got no idea what it means. I am clueless.

Jason, I hope that my descriptions have been adequate. Surprise ! I am French....so when it comes to writing, I''ve got to put on the thinking cap to fit real tight.

Merci beaucoup mon ami !

Paul

P.S. Jason, where do you live. United states ? Hard to tell on this site. It should be part of a member''s profile. We should be able to write a tiny paragraph about ourselves....Here I have my buddy Jason who, on his free time, designs rings for total strangers ( Woo hoo ), works on his motorcycles AND does not have a computer at home. Unbelievable !!!
1.gif

Iceberg

Rough_Rock
MrsSalvo, you are so sweet.
36.gif
30.gif
36.gif
30.gif

Thank you so much for the pictures you posted. It will be such useful tool for the design of the e-ring (PS Blueroses Special) which, with the painstaking care taken by Jason, will become a reality.

I shall never forget these moments.

I have just read PS warning companies not to post anything on this site. Congratulations !! What makes this site such a priceless source are the people who are willingling participating and helping one another. Bless you all !

Diamonds may be beautiful gems but, you surely are beautiful people.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results