shape
carat
color
clarity

hate my ring:(

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
I know it has already been said several times. But I would just like to make a vote towards simply changing the middle stone. I don''t think it is such an insult and probably just a misunderstanding. Orange keep us updated as to what happens! And good luck!

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
hahah... even if your FMIL does throw a fit and is rude about it, at least you know that you tried. As long as you walk away from this ordeal proud of the way you dealt with it (regardless of the other person''s reaction) then I think that''s what''s important.

Sometimes people say one thing but it comes from a whole different beast. With my father sometimes he says some really hurtful things but I know that he loves me and while before I used to fight him (but walk away feeling like a rebellious whiny teenager), now I just reiterate that no matter what happens, what ever he is upset about... that I love him and he will always be my dad. His reaction was still argumentative but I was really happy with the way I dealt with the situation and could hold my head up high because I didn''t get sucked into the drama.

I think if you are open to my suggestion in the last post that it''s worth a shot! You never know what people''s reactions are going to be!

Good luck :)

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Oh boy! Trouble .... Big Trouble!!!

(Warning ... post below is rough, I am not responsible for any twitches, outbursts or mayhem as a result!)
31.gif

I say "speak up" and tell future hubby that if he still wants to be "future hubby"
11.gif
that he needs to exchange the center stone for a round, and also, to tell sweet dear Mamma, that her helpful services will no longer be needed in the future
14.gif
, admit that he made a mistake
23.gif
, and that he should have taken a more active role in "His symbol of love
emlove.gif
that he would like to bestow upon his future lovely bride"!
emotion-5.gif

No matter how you look at it, or what she does ... it is just big trouble!
14.gif

I think we all need to say a prayer for her!
12.gif

Wishing only the best for you ... have a nice weekend!
35.gif

mara54

Shiny_Rock
I sure can relate to what you are going through, I have this beautiful set my husband gave me 4 years ago. The only thing is that it is almost exactly like my Mom''s. Her''s is on a thinner band but the diamonds are the same style. I would like to change the middle stone to either a pink diamond or blue diamond but do not really know how to tell him I really want to change it. I also do not want to hurt his feelings, but in the mean time I am the one wearing it, but then he would say he has to look at it too....LOL I think your ring is beautiful but I can understand you wanting the round. Good Luck on telling him, I will be thinking of you
35.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mara54, have you priced pink and blue diamonds? They cost monumentally more than regular clear diamonds.

mara54

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/26/2006 7:07:43 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Mara54, have you priced pink and blue diamonds? They cost monumentally more than regular clear diamonds.
No, I haven't done that yet. Just saw them in a window in the mall one day while passing and thought they looked beautiful. Do you know around the price range they are going for? My middle diamond is almost 2 carats!! Would it be good to look on ebay for them??
emotion-40.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2006 7:21:36 PM
Author: mara54

No, I haven''t done that yet. Just saw them in a window in the mall one day while passing and thought they looked beautiful. Do you know around the price range they are going for? My middle diamond is almost 2 carats!! Would it be good to look on ebay for them??
emotion-40.gif
NO!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Double no!! Stay away from ebay. At least for diamonds. Yikes!!!!
32.gif

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2006 7:55:06 PM

Author: GemAdorer

I also have one last 2 cents....

http://money.howstuffworks.com/diamond6.htm

<i>''The secret to De Beers'' success is a marketing campaign that convinces women that they should receive a diamond ring from their fiancee and convinces young men to pay ''two-months salary'' for that ring to show how much their love is worth. Prior to the 1930s, diamond rings were rarely given as engagement rings. Opals, rubies, sapphires and turquoise were deemed much more exotic gems to give as tokens of one''s love, according to the book ''Twenty Ads that Shook the World,'' by James B. Twitchell. Twitchell goes on to describe how De Beers changed the world diamond market.

This idea of connecting diamonds to romance was captured in a brilliant ad campaign begun in the 1940s, causing demand for diamonds to increase. ''</i>

36.gif

Ahem,
and I quote:
"According to the poet Dante, in Purgatorio , Canto V vv 134-6.c. 1310 all who could afford to do so set the seal on their marriages with a diamond ring, similar this one. This was not only on account of its rarity and monetary value but also because it was symbolic of fidelity. Since the extraordinary hardness of the diamond could resist fire and withstand blows from the hammer so too it signified fidelity, a love that would endure and overcome all difficulties encountered by the couple in their married life"

got that on some jewelry museum site. De Beer''s may have marketed diamond e-rings, and pushed the two months idea, but they did not invent the connection of diamond rings and marriage.
Yes there was a trend away from diamond e-rings to other gems for a while, partly due to royalty and such. But it doesn''t negate the historical relation between diamonds and romance.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2006 8:05:33 PM
Author: kaleigh
Double no!! Stay away from ebay. At least for diamonds. Yikes!!!!
32.gif

triple this
23.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ROTFLOL!!!

Oh, gosh, people just don''t know what will happen when they mention diamonds and ebay in the same sentence around here!

Mara54, a natural pink or blue diamond comparable in size to your current stone would cost so much I don''t even have a guess. You are really fortunate to have an almost 2 ct diamond! Enjoy it and consider getting a right hand ring with a pink or blue sapphire with diamonds. Sapphires are beautiful gems and are the best way to get pink or blue stones, unless you are a multi-millionaire. In that case, by all means, buy a pink 2 ct. diamond (but NOT on ebay!)!

(There are treated colored diamonds, but I wouldn''t consider that as a substitute for a nice natural diamond engagement ring.)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rod's partner has a gorgeous treated blue diamond, but they got it from a very reputable B&M. These ebay stories have me saying stay clear!!!! My daughter buys clothes off ebay and so far so good, but diamonds, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Ok got that out of my system, hehe.
3.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
And pink is my favorite color, whaaaa
39.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/26/2006 7:21:36 PM
Author: mara54

No, I haven''t done that yet. Just saw them in a window in the mall one day while passing and thought they looked beautiful. Do you know around the price range they are going for? My middle diamond is almost 2 carats!! Would it be good to look on ebay for them??
emotion-40.gif
i don''t think a regular mall store would carry pink or blue diamonds.
9.gif

orange2003

Rough_Rock
SOLUTION!!

So, this is what''s going to happen....
I will replace the center stone with a round stone!
But, I''m going to take the princess cut stone and make another ring out of it - a solitaire probably.
I guess it works out for everyone - I get the ring I love, I wear the stone that was in the original ring - and i get TWO rings:-p one will just be a right hand ring - probably the princess one.

a bit untraditional - but at least it works out for everyone:)

thanks for all your advice!!:)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, that''s awesome!!! So glad to hear this!!!!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2006 1:24:18 PM
Author: orange2003
SOLUTION!!

But, I''m going to take the princess cut stone and make another ring out of it - a solitaire probably.
I guess it works out for everyone - I get the ring I love, I wear the stone that was in the original ring - and i get TWO rings:-p one will just be a right hand ring - probably the princess one.

OOH I like this idea!! What about making the princess stone a pendant? That''d be charming too. Please keep us posted with pictures!!

Congratulations!

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Yay, so glad this is resolved! I''ve been reading all the posts and didn''t have anything to add but now I''m really happy for you that you get the best of both worlds. And more bling! Congratulations!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh that''s just wonderful orange. I love a happy ending
36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats brilliant Orange!
36.gif
36.gif

I am so happy you were able to resolve this and your fiance was understanding!

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations, Orange! So glad there is a SOLUTION!!

Now enjoy your engagement and please post pictures of your NEW rings!!

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
That''s so great to hear!!! Congratulations!!!
9.gif

How did the conversation with your fiance and FMIL go?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
I am so glad it worked out for the best. I am sure your FI just wants you happy. How fun that you get a RHR out of the deal
2.gif

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Yay! So glad this is working out, and you get TWO RINGS! That should chap FMIL''s hide, LOL! Seriously, though, I''m sure she''ll be glad that you are keeping the diamond she selected for you.

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/27/2006 1:32:48 PM
Author: Mara

Date: 2/27/2006 1:24:18 PM
Author: orange2003
SOLUTION!!

OOH I like this idea!! What about making the princess stone a pendant? That''d be charming too. Please keep us posted with pictures!!

Congratulations!
I LOVE THIS IDEA!!

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Orange, we want to know the details, how it all went down, what your BF said, whether your FMIL found out about this, etc. I think we''re all wondering, those of us who have been following this long thread.

Do tell!

orange2003

Rough_Rock
it wasnt that bad actually....

Essentially, I stressed the fact that I wanted to KEEP the princess, instead of trading it in. I didnt insult the ring or his mom, I just pointed out that I didnt like the lack of homogeneity of the ring and how the sharp right angles of the princess next to the rounds were driving me crazy. And so I just recommended that we "modify" it.
I told him I would even wear the princess as the ering if he''d like... i dont really care which ring goes on which hand (tho i guess it will matter once i get the wedding ring to match (since that will have diamonds too).... but we''ll think about that later)
and i also made it a point to remind him that i told him before that I hated princess cuts and that I specifically said that that I didnt care about anything in the ring, EXCEPT that I wanted a 1 ct RB.
He just wondered why I could just like what I got... but I told him that I''m going to marry him ANYWAYS, regardless of the ring (I''d marry him even if he didnt give me a ring at all!), so why not just have it the way I like? He couldnt really argue with that.

FMIL doesnt know yet and I''m not going to tell her or ask for her input. Her time to have input is definitely over - she couldnt get it right the first time, I''m not going to trust her with any big decision again - she definitely only thinks about herself when she does things. I''m just going to go to a jeweler in town that I trust and take care of this MYSELF. She''ll be angry when she sees that I changed it (and she''ll probably call me spoiled), but then again I was pretty angry when I saw that princess cut in the first place.

The ironic thing is that I dont get to wear my ring all day anyways (cause i''m usually in the operating room) - so all this fuss over a ring that I will essentially only wear on weekends and the one day a week I''m in the clinic! She should have just gotten it right the first time (how hard is it to remember ROUND CENTER STONE??)

thanks for all your advice:) It was good to hear people were supportive of my opinion!

Anyways, do y''all think it would be weird to wear a solitaire on my right hand?? Any ideas of settings for solitaire diamonds that dont look engagement-ish?

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Orange, I am so glad you are changing your ring! Are you sure your FMIL isn''t my present MIL???? They sound so much alike!!!!

If it were me, I would probably get a setting with sidestones for the princess so it didn''t look so engagement-y. But a lot of women wear their e-rings on their right hands anyway, so it all depends on what you like. I personally would wear the princess as a pendant b/c I am not much of a RHR gal.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results