shape
carat
color
clarity

job search?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
I''m just wondering what you guys use as a job search engine?

I currently live in Canada, but am definitely open to basically moving anywhere.
So the question is.. what is the most effective job search way to you!

I have used Monster.ca, the government site in canada (hrdc), and careerbeacon.com (which is for eastern provinces in New-Brunswick!

so remember... I am at an age where I am very willing to relocate and take risk!

help!? :)

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
no one??
7.gif

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It has been several years since I job hunted (I got this job 5.5 years ago).

Back then I was able to make some contacts with headhunters via Monster - but nothing panned out as I was unwilling to relocate to the areas where people wanted a person.

The job I got was on the state job listing site.

Not sure about how it would work today due to the changes in how things are done.

My other question - is what kind of work or position are you interested in? I and others might be able to make other recomendations.

If you have a technical interest - might I suggest the nuclear power field.

I posted a bunch of information on it a bit ago. Let me see if I can find the link.

Perry

ps: in regards to your question: Both can and often are aspects of love.... Looking?

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone looking for a great job environment - compared to many, typically better than average pay, and a job that is unlikely to vanish anytime soon.

Always opeinings for good technical people (mixed background) and also for other areas. Plant Operations hires many types of people.

Anyway the link to info on jobs and careears in the nuclear power field are in this thread from several weeks ago:

Remember that I got my dream job recently???

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/remember-that-i-got-my-dream-job-recently.44804/

Hope this helps someone.

Perry

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
thank you so much perry!
i am pretty open to any fields... i did 3 years of school (one in journalism, one in communications and one in marketing...but nothing worked in my favor) - different reasons, mainly being lack of interest or poor organization.
SO instead of spending another year doing something i am unsure of, i would like to kind of get a grasp of what i really want to do (i dont know if that makes sense)..
anyways,
SO.
all of that being said, i love people and something to do with public or something along those lines would be ideal. (receptionist or any office work is great too)..
i''m super flexible as i am not sure what i want exactly out of "life".

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So maybe you should start and run your own business.... Then you could have a "job" that matched your lifestyle.

There are several options out there that most anyone can do if they are interested. At the very least it is a wonderfull education that you will not get in school.

What you doing this summer; are you free to travel and look at some options?

Perry

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
yes and no.
I dont have a large budget to start travelling, especially "randomly".

I''ve considered my own business actually.. (weirdly enough, I''d like to make greeting cards)
but I wouldn''t mind getting a "real" job until I can get it started better.
I realize I don''t have the degree, so it leaves me in a sticky situation...I have 3 years of University & College, but nothing concrete.
I still feel that my personality and abilities would be awesome to any company ;-) hah.

we''ll see I guess! dgjapogadga
I hate job searching.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I feel a degree is often over-rated. A lot of great people can do great work - and not need a degree to do their job.

Unfortunately, many places seem to require a degree now just to even have a conversation with. It is too bad.

You indicate that you are somewhat technical minded.

If that is true - then I know of some fields who hire people to work as technitions - that usually train from scratch (and some of these people don't even have high school deplomas - but they are fairly smart).

I could even provide some specific employers who are always looking.

So: are you willing to work hard - and get dirty and sweaty. Are you willing to do road jobs (where they fly you to a jobsite, provide money for hotel, meals, and transportion) and be away from home for weeks at a time (often working 60 - 72 hours a week: heck, might as well make $ while on the job). Do you have a clean criminal background.

If so, I could provide a company who tends to hire folks to work 3-6 months a year (spring and fall) - and some of those folks make enough money in that 3-6 months that they do not have other employment (and some just live a low key lifestyle where they do not need a lot of extra $ either). You'd have to start on the bottom - and it takes years to work up to the really big money. But it would be something I'd be willing to pass on to you if interested (or anyone else). The company that I would first recommend already has some gals who work at it. I often bring in 8 people with 1 - 3 of them being gals during our plant outages. There are similar companies in the field (and once you get the technical qualification you can find such work in many places).

If nothing else - you make good money in the spring and fall - and do something else the other times.

Edited to add:

Here is the link for the company I was thinking off:

www.anatecintl.com/

Very few people have a college degree: Check out all the gals names on the Personnel page (and I know most of them; and a lot of the guys too). With the exception of the office staff - these people live all over the place - and are flown to and from jobs (and sometimes from job to job).

Other suggestions could be forthcomming if we could talk and knew more about your interest. There are potentially lots of possibilities - depending on who and what you are. Leonid endid the PM program due to abuses and generally discourages people from contacting each other. However, should you contact Anatec and mention that I suggested you look at them for a job via a forum... contact could be made as they would be able to figure out who I am (if you do your homework anyway).

Anyway - let me know what you think.

Perry

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
i hateeee that the pm was taken off. but i completely understand. what had to be done had to be done.
i''m not sure what you mean by "doing research".. but i will look into it as i wouldn''t mind finding out more about well.. everything! hah.

career wise, i''m pretty open to learning whatever! the thing that concerns me about moving.. well first- i''d have to be able to afford living there. so minimum wages are a no-no. two- how would i go about moving to the states to work! (i don''t really mean all the details, but the basics?)

i dunno!

i don''t think that degrees mean "nothing" but i also have gone to school for three years. SO. i have seen who is in these schools. like.. some are there to get degrees but will be useless regardless.
i don''t mean that i won''t go for my degree, and finish what i''ve started, BUT until i figure it out, i''m not going to waste any more of my money..!!

ps. thank you SO much perry for taking time for this!

CJS924

Shiny_Rock
Hello fellow Canadian
35.gif

Monster.ca is a good site. How about Workopolis.ca? You could also look into temp agencies (which often times lead to full-time positions). Hmmm...jobs are always coming up at my work (www.angiotech.com)
9.gif

Good luck with the job hunt! I might be biased in saying this, but I say check out the West Coast! Van city is a great place to live and I think that jobs are plentiful here...especially with the Olympics coming in 2010!

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have the money to finish a the last year and get a degree - it is probably a wise move to get the degree. Having a college degree opens a zillion doors - and is often a pre-requisit for many jobs (and the degree does not matter).

You have a point that there are no jobs for some degrees. In addition, few people end up working long term in a field specific to their college degree (they may start there - but then move on).

My point about Anatec - and other companies like them: You and other people can get good paying jobs in the technical field - regardless of having a college degree (or any college).

I tend to recommend things like UT and Eddy Current testing because most people can do this work when they are older. Unlike construction where most people have injuries or cannot withstand the physical workload by the mid 30's to mid 40's.

There are companies like this in Canada as well (and I am fairly sure that one of the Vendors that normally attends an industry conference that I attend is a Canadian company (who works in both Canada and the US): the next conference is in the end of june in Big Sky Monatana). However, all industrial companies need these types of services and have companies that provide them.

As far as working in the US. It can't be that difficult - Anatec routinely brings in people from Spain and Japan to support the spring and fall outage season (there are not enough workers in the US for the workload - but the certifications in some fields are recogized accross international boundries).

Anyway you have lots of optons if you are really looking for something. One of the nice things is that the US and Canada have an open border. You could visit for a while and don't need a passport to do so. Perhaps all you need is a good vacation for a couple od weeks thinking about things and looking at options.

Edited to add:

Here is the Canadian company I was thinking off: They are largly a manufacturer of the test and inspection equipment - but if someone contacted them I am sure that they could provide a list of Canadian companes who do field NDE.

www.russelltech.com/index.htm

Perry

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
how about working for those canadian diamond mines? how interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results