shape
carat
color
clarity

Louis CK has copied Kenny. He states, "Trump is Hitler".

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1457300231|4000684 said:
http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/louis-c-k-rips-donald-trump-in-epic-email-the-guy-is-hitler-20160305#ixzz423r1tPiP

ANOTHER essay I want to take to the hot sheet hotel for an ilicit weekend. He hits all the marks without sounding like raving lunatic. To me it's cogent and logical and very, very true.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I just finished watching "Judgement at Neurenberg"(SP), the winner of 7 academy awards back when.

I watched Trump give his victory press conference and the thought that crossed my mind was that this guy would not give up the Presidency once he had it. What an autocrat he is. I agree this person has a lot of issues. I agree he is dangerous for us to elect.

Annette

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hate the Hitler comparisons. The man was a monster. Trump isn't Hitler. He's is own man. And yes, that man is a monumental as*hole. But he's not Hitler. It demeans history, these comparisons.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
If you have ever seen the movie A Face in the Crowd you will realize Trump is Lonesome Rhoades in an expensive suit. A man who cannot be trusted with government power. And truly loathsome.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From a November 1922 issue of the NY Times:

Sound eerily familiar....? Even my husband, he of the history brain, thinks Trump doesn't believe what he's saying. We disagree very much on this point.

hitler_only_kidding.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1457303759|4000714 said:
I hate the Hitler comparisons. The man was a monster. Trump isn't Hitler. He's is own man. And yes, that man is a monumental as*hole. But he's not Hitler. It demeans history, these comparisons.

Of course Trump has not done what Hitler did.
Hitler has no equal in the recent past.

However there are alarming parallels between Trump and Hitler while they campaigned to get elected.
Germany had fallen from grace losing WW1 and humiliated by the Treaty of Versailles.
There was widespread discontent, rage even, as Germany grieved for the loss of its glorious past.
Hitler exploited fears in voters.
He was a master as harnessing human nature's dark side. (as is Trump)
He promised to restore the country back to its former prestigious position on the world stage.
He fanned hatred of groups and made them scapegoats for the country's problems.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

No it does not. I know Godwin's law blah blah, but in this case, the similarities are too great to ignore. When the Holocaust survivors are made nervous, it's time to sit up and take notice.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/in-the-age-of-trump-grim-warnings-from-holocaust-survivors/2016/01/27/c65ea38c-c549-11e5-8965-0607e0e265ce_story.html

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol, Kenny has a bigger ego than Trump.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
mary poppins|1457309713|4000760 said:
Lol, Kenny has a bigger ego than Trump.

IMPOSSIBLE

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have larger ... uhm ... hands :lol: .

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was afraid I was going to hear about that next. Please do not produce a girth certificate.

Darn, can't post a gif

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amber St. Clare|1457312049|4000773 said:
kenny|1457311665|4000769 said:
I have larger ... uhm ... hands :lol: .

:naughty:

Looks like Amber might want to see. Please don't go Anthony Weiner on us, Kenny.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1457304635|4000727 said:

No it does not. I know Godwin's law blah blah, but in this case, the similarities are too great to ignore. When the Holocaust survivors are made nervous, it's time to sit up and take notice.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/in-the-age-of-trump-grim-warnings-from-holocaust-survivors/2016/01/27/c65ea38c-c549-11e5-8965-0607e0e265ce_story.html

Good for you, K. I feel like giving you a prize today! Thank you ever so much for posting this article.

Deb :wavey:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1457304605|4000726 said:

However there are alarming parallels between Trump and Hitler while they campaigned to get elected.
Germany had fallen from grace losing WW1 and humiliated by the Treaty of Versailles.
There was widespread discontent, rage even, as Germany grieved for the loss of its glorious past.
He promised to restore the country back to its former prestigious position on the world stage.

There are parallels. I see them. I still don't think that the statement is correct. Adjusting it to say "Trumps campaign has alarming similarities to Hilter's campaign."

Then yes. I would agree. But TRUMP IS HILTER. No.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1457341559|4000918 said:
kenny|1457304605|4000726 said:

There are parallels. I see them. I still don't think that the statement is correct. Adjusting it to say "Trumps campaign has alarming similarities to Hilter's campaign."

Then yes. I would agree. But TRUMP IS HILTER. No.

I'm not going to war over this issue, Gyps. It is a pretty esoteric point (in my opinion) whether Trump is Hitler or not. I just want to keep him out of office and also want the American people to wake up to the hatred imbued in the ideas he is espousing. That is also of some moment to me. But I would like to say that it is not only Trump's campaign, but also many of his ideas and the way he has appealed to the most xenophobic element in the populace, that is reminiscent of Hitler.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hitler- esque but not Hitler, at this point

What bothers me the most is the people supporting Trump where the ones that called Obama Hitler becuase generated healthcare reform.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The bottom line is we should not and cannot elect someone in charge of this country who is filled with hate and fear and ignorance and arrogance.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

I agree. I see the Hitler comparison on FB all the time and it drives me crazy. Trump is not Hitler for so many reasons and to make the comparison is not only ignorant of history, but insensitive to those who were touched by the holocaust.
Sure, Trump's Islamophobia might sound alarming to some, but it is a far cry from Hitler's race-based ideology. Much of what Trump has had to say about Muslims is in regards to immigrants and more specifically, refugees. Hitler, on the other hand, was concerned with the entire Jewish race.
Trump's platform includes a wall, more ICE Officers, national e-verify, and the deportation of undocumented immigrants. In contrast, Hitler had the 25 point programme (and his own private army), which included the creation of a Greater Germany for those of German blood, the exclusion of Jews, and unlimited authority.
Even if Trump won, and even if his platform was anything like Hitler's (which it's not), he wouldn't have the ability to enact it (like the way that Hitler could in Germany because of their parliamentary system and some specific weaknesses in their constitution).

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1457356128|4000953 said:

I agree. I see the Hitler comparison on FB all the time and it drives me crazy. Trump is not Hitler for so many reasons and to make the comparison is not only ignorant of history, but insensitive to those who were touched by the holocaust.
Sure, Trump's Islamophobia might sound alarming to some, but it is a far cry from Hitler's race-based ideology. Much of what Trump has had to say about Muslims is in regards to immigrants and more specifically, refugees. Hitler, on the other hand, was concerned with the entire Jewish race.
Trump's platform includes a wall, more ICE Officers, national e-verify, and the deportation of undocumented immigrants. In contrast, Hitler had the 25 point programme (and his own private army), which included the creation of a Greater Germany for those of German blood, the exclusion of Jews, and unlimited authority.
Even if Trump won, and even if his platform was anything like Hitler's (which it's not), he wouldn't have the ability to enact it (like the way that Hitler could in Germany because of their parliamentary system and some specific weaknesses in their constitution).

You really should read Eco's piece if you have not.

No, Trump is not Hitler. But fascist? Almost certainly. And his fascism will be expressing an American version of fascism, not German, or Italian. Fascism doesn't have to look exactly like the 1930s or have the goal of genocide to still be fascist.

And making the comparison of Trump to Hitler is not insensitive to anyone. Those still living who experienced the holocaust are making the comparison. Not making the comparison is irresponsible IMO. The last time conditions similar to what we see today occurred, we lucked out and got an FDR. This time, we've produced a true authoritarian would-be strongman who has shown nothing but contempt for anyone perceived as weak. Who wants to double down on torture. To make an entire religion register with the government. And he has a scary number of followers. So, I don't dismiss these words as "Oh he can't actually mean that." Right now our political process is so messed up, I don't assume that it can't break further with a Trump at the top. I'm not sure it can protect us. And the idea of the military feeling they must oppose anything Trump might order that is illegal - and they have publicly stated such, which is unprecedented - is a state of internal war situation we've never had to face in the US.

We say it can never happen here, but it can. Acting like it can't just ups the danger.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1457360417|4000972 said:
We say it can never happen here, but it can. Acting like it can't just ups the danger.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I've agreed with everything you've posted in the past week (in multiple threads). Thank you for expressing how I feel better than I can!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny or Loiuis CK saying, "Trump is Hitler" does not mean we actually and literally think Trump and Hitler are the same person, or entirely identical.

In our language such a lie/exaggeration/inaccuracy is just very common.
It's much like saying, "The line was so long we died waiting."

Correcting me by telling me that we didn't really die is just ... :roll:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
liaerfbv|1457361001|4000974 said:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I've agreed with everything you've posted in the past week (in multiple threads). Thank you for expressing how I feel better than I can!

Thank you. I confess to agreeing with some of yours also, to the point that I just let you do the heavy lifting for whatever point you were making better than I could. :)

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I actually agree with Gypsy. I was careful in what I wrote not to do that comparison. I remember when they showed the pictures of what transpired in the concentration camps in the early 50's when Television was new. I spoke to my mother and told her I wanted to watch. She forbade me to watch it. The night of documentary she worked late, and I watched. To this day, I remember those pictures and can cry again, time and time again, It was printed on my mind forever.

It is good for us to be watchful, to see the autocrat for what he is. But, for me, the Holocost may be the worst thing I ever saw. I do believe we are not in the same frame of mind as the German people, we have our foibles, but there will be no Hitler here. Trump is a danger, for his temperament and issues make him not Presidential material. Don't fear monger yourselves.

Call him out for what he is, but Hitler he is not.

Annette

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1457356128|4000953 said:

You really should read Eco's piece if you have not.

No, Trump is not Hitler. But fascist? Almost certainly. And his fascism will be expressing an American version of fascism, not German, or Italian. Fascism doesn't have to look exactly like the 1930s or have the goal of genocide to still be fascist.

And making the comparison of Trump to Hitler is not insensitive to anyone. Those still living who experienced the holocaust are making the comparison. Not making the comparison is irresponsible IMO. The last time conditions similar to what we see today occurred, we lucked out and got an FDR. This time, we've produced a true authoritarian would-be strongman who has shown nothing but contempt for anyone perceived as weak. Who wants to double down on torture. To make an entire religion register with the government. And he has a scary number of followers. So, I don't dismiss these words as "Oh he can't actually mean that." Right now our political process is so messed up, I don't assume that it can't break further with a Trump at the top. I'm not sure it can protect us. And the idea of the military feeling they must oppose anything Trump might order that is illegal - and they have publicly stated such, which is unprecedented - is a state of internal war situation we've never had to face in the US.

The only reason why I wouldn't say that it could never happen here is because I never say never.
If you look at history, the facts, etc. then you would know how/why it wouldn't happen here. Also, yes, I still believe that making the comparison is insensitive, but you are entitled to your opinion to think otherwise. This is not Germany and Trump is not comparable to Hitler.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
smitcompton|1457367302|4001039 said:
Hi,

I actually agree with Gypsy. I was careful in what I wrote not to do that comparison. I remember when they showed the pictures of what transpired in the concentration camps in the early 50's when Television was new. I spoke to my mother and told her I wanted to watch. She forbade me to watch it. The night of documentary she worked late, and I watched. To this day, I remember those pictures and can cry again, time and time again, It was printed on my mind forever.

It is good for us to be watchful, to see the autocrat for what he is. But, for me, the Holocost may be the worst thing I ever saw. I do believe we are not in the same frame of mind as the German people, we have our foibles, but there will be no Hitler here. Trump is a danger, for his temperament and issues make him not Presidential material. Don't fear monger yourselves.

Call him out for what he is, but Hitler he is not.

Annette

What a thoughtful and well-written post. You said it so much more eloquently than I could have =)

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1457365351|4001018 said:
Kenny or Loiuis CK saying, "Trump is Hitler" does not mean we actually and literally think Trump and Hitler are the same person, or entirely identical.
In our language such a lie/exaggeration/inaccuracy is just very common.
It's much like saying, "The line was so long we died waiting."
Correcting me by telling me that we didn't really die is just ... :roll:
But branding Trump as another Hitler is not "much like saying,'The line was so long we died waiting'" because you were not trying to convince anyone that you expired or were close to death's door.

The fact that hyperbole is common in comments, discussion, arguments about political matters doesn't make it desirable imo; think precision of thought & language better serves informed, civic decision-making. Plus, hyperbole is easily dismissed as unfounded,if not ridiculous, so doesn't carry the persuasive weight with non-believers or fence-sitters the speaker is hoping for -- unless the speaker is using hyperbole merely to draw attention to themselves and/or lob stupid shots. Trump himself is guilty of that, why reinforce the validity of that MO by emulating it?

I'm appalled by Trump's stumping for the Presidency (altho' if I had to pick between the two, I'd rather see him in the White House than Cruz), but I really appreciate Gypsy's and Annette's posts here.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
MollyMalone|1457371278|4001076 said:
I'm appalled by Trump's stumping for the Presidency (altho' if I had to pick between the two, I'd rather see him in the White House than Cruz), but I really appreciate Gypsy's and Annette's posts here.

I had a great debate with DH the other night and he feels the same way you do re: Trump vs. Cruz (and he's more liberal than I am). At the start of our conversation I was 100% in disagreement, but he made some really strong points that almost made me change my position. Why do you feel like that?

(edited for grammar)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results