shape
carat
color
clarity

ice blue sapphire

tlayton

Rough_Rock
Hi there;

This is my first post so I am a newbie! I am looking for an emerald or radiant cut ice blue sapphire. I am thinking in the size range of 8mmx6.5 mm give or take, and I prefer rectangular shapes but would consider more square. I would prefer a stone located in Canada as that I where I am...

Does anyone have advice about buying this type of stone and what I should be looking for? I found a beautiful one that I love, but the jeweler told me it is likely heat treated, as they assume all of their sapphires are. It is about $1200 CAD (7.3mmx7mm and 2.3 carats) I also found one on the natural sapphire company website that I love but it is a bit too small (7.6mm x 5mm 1.37 carats) for about $1000 USD, but I like that is natural and not heat treated... should this make a huge difference?

any advice would be great!

Thanks!

Tess

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know Lisa Elser has a fairly deep inventory and cuts sapphires. I would contact her and ask what she has/can get for you. She is located in Canada and is great and very easy to deal with: Lisa Elser - www.lisaelser.com

tlayton

Rough_Rock
yep I started there!

Thanks!

tlayton

Rough_Rock
These are the two I am looking at. Does anyone have comments?
1) radiant emerald cut 7.6x5.09x 3.9 and 1.4 carats ($1100 USD ish)

2) radiant cut 7.3 x 7 x 4.9 and 2.39 carats (990USD) the natural sapphire company

The first one is heat treated likely, and the second one is natural...

img_8748.jpg

certified-natural-untreated-ceylon-radiant-iceblue-sapphire-1_3700-cts-u4260-1-full.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The "problem" with icy (light and pale) gems like these is that they don't look like all the time or even most of the time. Have you seen any in person? Just want to make sure you are aware of this.

tlayton

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1437676552|3906606 said:
The "problem" with icy (light and pale) gems like these is that they don't look like all the time or even most of the time. Have you seen any in person? Just want to make sure you are aware of this.

Thanks Chrono - what do you mean by don't look like this? What can I expect them to look like daily?

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
You might find this too blue, but some on the board have had a good experience with Rogerio Graca, who is located in Canada. 8.7 x 6mm, radiant, $920USD. https://www.etsy.com/listing/222042181/blue-sapphire-radiant-emerald-cut-over-2?ref=shop_home_active_20 Assume it's heated. If heat treatment doesn't bother you in spirit/theory, it's not something to worry about in sapphires since it is permanent, does not affect durability, and is commonly accepted as a typical and expected treatment. I find his "precision cutting" definition rather loose and not up to the standards of some of the cutters on this board, but that particular radiant looks nice.

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
Depending on the light, ice blue sapphires can shift to show more ice gray than ice blue. Being able to see them in person, to make sure you like the shift, is important. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results