shape
carat
color
clarity

2.4 H vs2 Ideal hearts & arrow OR 2.26 F Vs2 triple x?

SparkleFairy

Rough_Rock
Hello experts,

I'm trying to decide between the two, if you could give me thoughts on which to pick? Mainly the difference is the color, would there be a big difference between color H & F? They are both around same price point.

2.4 H vs2, triple x, ideal hearts and arrows, HCA under 2, great ASET & idealscope (have not seen in person, just images online)
2.26 F vs2, triple x, HCA under 2, very brilliant and sparkly, no aset or idealscope (seen this in person)

Thanks! :dance:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's pretty impossible to say without photos or more info. The H stone should look larger if size is important to you. What are the diameter measurements? Actually, if you list all the specs for each stone (angles, etc.), maybe we can give you some more specific comments.

SparkleFairy

Rough_Rock
Re: 2.4 H vs2 Ideal hearts & arrow OR 2.2 F Vs2 triple x?

hi diamondseeker, here you go...

F vs2 2.2 carat
Dimensions are 5.42 x 8.38 x 5.18

H vs2 2.4 carat
Dimension are 8.59 x 8.63 x 5.3

_32031.jpg

_32032.jpg

_32033.jpg

_32034.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 2.4 ct stone is .2mm larger, which is visible. It has a perfect images. I would have to choose it over the other one due to the larger size, not to mention it likely is a superior cut to the other. There is nothing in the numbers that would make me eliminate either one.

SparkleFairy

Rough_Rock
Hi diamondseeker,
Would the H color make a big difference over F?

Thanks!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think GIA H color is very nice. It will face up very white in most lighting. The only time you'd ever see a difference is if you hold it right next to a D or E in natural light. In a lot of lighting, you wouldn't be able to see the difference. It is only if you are very color sensitive that I'd go smaller to get higher color. But I would still want the top cut quality in an F. I would not sacrifice cut.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like the H diamond is AGS not GIA (based on the print out of the report). I seem to recognize the stone from a well regarded vendor :)) .

Anyway, there's a chance that an AGS H would be graded as a GIA I. Just something to consider. Recently I was looking at ACA stones on WF and one of the gemologists did say that the H was noticeably more tinted than the G and F stones I was considering. I think it all depends on if your girlfriend is color sensitive.

SparkleFairy

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the tip about AGS's grading. Is AGS also less stringent on clarity as well?

Yekutiel

Shiny_Rock
AGS grades clarity spot on with comparing to GIA grading.

gowarriors15

Rough_Rock
I think most people would reply to your question and say that it always comes down to your personal preference. Having said that, I recently looked at a diamond similar to your ACA in H color and I was surprised that the "warmth" was very noticeable from the side profile. If you are color sensitive then I would recommend going up in color from H.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would think the F color should be a lot more valuable. Check with an appraiser.

SparkleFairy

Rough_Rock
Thanks all. Even with the tint for the H, it will still sparkle immensely correctly?

SparkleFairy

Rough_Rock
Hello diamondseeker & JDDN,

Here are the images for the 2.2ct I'm considering. It's between this 2.2 F Vs2 or the 2.4 H Vs2 above. Please let me know your thoughts!!

_32075.jpg

_32076.jpg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
JDDN|1436330958|3900232 said:
It looks like the H diamond is AGS not GIA (based on the print out of the report). I seem to recognize the stone from a well regarded vendor :)) .

Anyway, there's a chance that an AGS H would be graded as a GIA I. Just something to consider. Recently I was looking at ACA stones on WF and one of the gemologists did say that the H was noticeably more tinted than the G and F stones I was considering. I think it all depends on if your girlfriend is color sensitive.

John Pollard takes on this common myth in another thread. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-69ct-g-vvs2-worries-feather-natural-ags-color-clarity.203189/#p3698017']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-69ct-g-vvs2-worries-feather-natural-ags-color-clarity.203189/#p3698017[/URL]

Although often passed on as fact, it is in fact, not a fact. I can give you anecdotal evidence the other way too, but it would not make it a fact that it is a trend, only that for some stones it happens. Both ways by both labs. This is especially true on borderline stones that are at or near the edge of a color grade. When I first entered the business, GIA issued split grade reports for these diamonds, but during the diamond investment craze it became too important to have the grade be one or the other and split grades were abandoned.

(AGSL did not exist at that time.)

Wink

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wink|1436461490|3900874 said:
JDDN|1436330958|3900232 said:

John Pollard takes on this common myth in another thread. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-69ct-g-vvs2-worries-feather-natural-ags-color-clarity.203189/#p3698017']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-69ct-g-vvs2-worries-feather-natural-ags-color-clarity.203189/#p3698017[/URL]

Although often passed on as fact, it is in fact, not a fact. I can give you anecdotal evidence the other way too, but it would not make it a fact that it is a trend, only that for some stones it happens. Both ways by both labs. This is especially true on borderline stones that are at or near the edge of a color grade. When I first entered the business, GIA issued split grade reports for these diamonds, but during the diamond investment craze it became too important to have the grade be one or the other and split grades were abandoned.

(AGSL did not exist at that time.)

Wink
I concur. We deal in both AGS and GIA graded diamonds. What we see is remarkable consistency. There is a universal understanding in the trade that color and clarity grading can naturally involve a deviation of one grade in either direction. This is inevitable for two reasons. One, color is a continuum and each grade is actually a very small range along that continuum. And two, the final color grade is made by human graders.

Over time we have seen a significant sample size of diamonds that have been graded by both labs. The vast majority agree on both color and clarity. In cases where they differ sometimes one lab will be higher or lower on one or the other grade. But it goes in both directions and there is no clear trend. Sometimes one lab will be lower in one and higher in the other, thereby bringing some balance to any value discrepancy. Rarely is one lab higher on both color and clarity, and rarer still is a difference of more than one grade. In fact I don't recall a case like that.

AGS and GIA are historically sister organizations. They share a common past, co-sponsor events and training, and key staff have always moved between the two. Oh, and AGSL uses color master sets that are graded by GIA.

Anecdotal evidence of AGS being more lenient derives largely from the fact that AGS is specialized and very small compared to the massive GIA. As the saying goes, when dog bites man that's not news, but when man bites dog that makes headlines!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on how color sensitive you are. I am very. I would choose the F because I am color sensitive. And since you have seen the F and it looks sparkly to you, that would be good enough for me. F for sure. But many other people would not mind an H. To me, .14 carats is not a big enough size increase to justify the color drop. If it was 3 carats it might've a different story.

emmebee

Shiny_Rock
I vote for the 2.4 H for sure based on the pictures & size.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
lakers08kobe|1436470905|3900968 said:
I had a friend return an ACA diamond because the grading didnt match up - is that not all too common? How many people actually get both lab reports... He is a bit on the crazier side but he was very upset when the results came back as they did.

Forgive me, but

I understand it may be scary when you check a stone graded by one lab at another lab and you do not get the same results. But given the fact that diamond-grading of color and clarity is subjective, such cases occur. That does not mean one can conclude a general statement upon one occurrence.

Last week only, we were examining a batch of freshly graded stones from GIA, and concluded that about 50% of that batch was overgraded. This just happens.

The trade generally accepts the GIA grading-scales as the norm. It does not mean that the GIA-use of that grading-scale is the norm. They can also go wrong, and it does happen.

The sad conclusion is that there is no absolute certainty for the consumer on aspects like Color and Clarity, which have a huge influence on price and value, while they differences between grades are so small that the lab-grade is bound to produce regular mistakes.

Live long,

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sparkle,

Yes, even though it's an H it will sparkle immensely and that is because the cut is ideal, demonstrated by the IS and ASET images.

The images for the 2.2 F look great too. Really it comes down to what's more important to your girl. Saying she has a 2.4 carat diamond or a 2.2 carat diamond. Or having a very white diamond or a slightly tinted diamond. I believe the size difference is about the thickness of two sheets of paper (or thereabouts).

They both look gorgeous. Tough decision. What's more important to her? Size or color? If it were to be my diamond I would love the F because I love white diamonds and the size difference is so small to me. But that's my personal preference. Both will perform beautifully.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results