shape
carat
color
clarity

The Spinning Ring

baroque

Shiny_Rock
Deep breath, sigh…I am discovering that I am having a lot of trouble with this ring spinning (I type all day at work) and I’m actually wondering if the knife edge is bothering me. Of course with the stone being 2.538 carats, it is top heavy.

I’m going to try to get used to it, but it’s very hard to type at work and keep it upright. I’ve tried adding a 2mm band to see if that helps and I don’t like the way it looks with my WB and ER, and it didn’t really seem to help anyway. I fear if I size it down at all, there are going to be times that it will be too tight since I tend to swell throughout the day.
I should have stayed with my original plan of finding a wider shank setting, as that has been more successful for me in the past, but I thought this would be so pretty…and it seems like all the settings are thinner shanks these days, so I do have to say I was swayed by that.

I know my husband is going to think I’m crazy, I know you’re probably not going to have any suggestions or words of wisdom, I guess I just wanted to vent about my frustration to those who may understand…

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe sizing beads?

baroque

Shiny_Rock
I thought about that...but I wonder if that would really bug me...I'm very sensitive to things and I think I would feel like I had little balls in the shank of my ring...if that makes sense?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
baroque|1426608343|3848532 said:
I thought about that...but I wonder if that would really bug me...I'm very sensitive to things and I think I would feel like I had little balls in the shank of my ring...if that makes sense?

Solder your wedding band to it?

baroque

Shiny_Rock
hmmm...that's an idea...but I really do like the look of it being two rings...

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
I would try sizing beads...they're fairly economical and easy to remove if you don't like them. Give yourself at least two weeks to get used to them.

baroque

Shiny_Rock
I just realized that the sizing beads would probably be about exactly where the surprise stones are set inside my shank. Maybe I will check with the local jeweler and see what they think.

mns12

Shiny_Rock
I can't stand the spinning issue either. Both of my previous ER's did the same thing..my knuckle is larger so I have to size up a little bit. I bet during the summer/warmers months the problem won't be as bad.

I'm sure it isn't the ideal solution but you are still within the 30 day return period if you really wanted to change out the setting, correct?
Or is your setting considered custom?

baroque

Shiny_Rock
Since I wanted a platinum crown...it is custom :( I emailed WF this morning and haven't gotten a response just yet.
If it turns out that I do change my setting and there is no credit for this one given, I will most likely just find something local, so I can try it on and be sure. WF has some designer stuff that I may like, if I can find a place around here that I can try them on first, if I decide to go with something with a wider shank.

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I had the same spinning problem with my 2 ct diamond and finally ended up changing the platinum setting. I think some settings are just better balanced than others. The new platinum setting has a 2mm shank and doesn't spin at all. I hope you find a solution!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
My halo spins. Guess I'm just used to it now. It's a little bit better since I sized it down 1/4 size, but it still spins. I would seek the professional opinion of your jeweler in regards to sizing beads - they are easily removed if you don't like them.

mns12

Shiny_Rock
baroque|1426614770|3848588 said:
Since I wanted a platinum crown...it is custom :( I emailed WF this morning and haven't gotten a response just yet.
If it turns out that I do change my setting and there is no credit for this one given, I will most likely just find something local, so I can try it on and be sure. WF has some designer stuff that I may like, if I can find a place around here that I can try them on first, if I decide to go with something with a wider shank.

I don't blame you for wanting to try the settings on first. Settings are so hard, thus why I haven't gotten my new ER yet!

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's too bad you're not able to enjoy your ring. Here's a thread from way back about sizing cushions VS beads. Also, in the thread is a link for a Spring Bar. Looks like WF has made these in the past. Maybe they can direct you if this bar would be a good option.

I've had sizing balls in the past & I found uncomfortable. I was tempted to try those cushions but then I ended up changing my ring altogether during an upgrade.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sizing-balls-vs-sizing-cushions.37856/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sizing-balls-vs-sizing-cushions.37856/[/URL]

Good luck. :))

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
My knuckle is significantly larger than my actual finger (like 6.5 vs 5.5) and sizing beads have made a huge difference in the spinning issue. The only time it doesn't help is in the dead of winter when it's freezing and my rings are going to move regardless. I wear a wedding band, a 1.5mm spacer and my eng ring is 1.8-2mm depending where it is on the ring. I've never had an issue, nor have I ever once felt them.

You can also get just one sizing pad in the center back of the ring, like between your surprise stones perhaps that might help.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My rings spin so I just stick to wider shanks. The super thin settings are popular but i can't deal with the spinning.

bcavitt

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Reshank the ring with a Euroshank. The squared bottom reduces the spinning significantly.

baroque

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm... that might be an idea.

I think I need to go shop and try some things out. There aren't many places to look a nicer settings close, so I'll have to make a whole day of it. I may end up with something totally different. I doesn't seem like there are many people getting anything but thin shanks these days, so I don't see much by searching the forum. I seriously think my husband will think I have lost my marbles if I tell him I want to change settings...or even modify this one, LOL! He'll get over it though!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bcavitt|1426621732|3848666 said:
Reshank the ring with a Euroshank. The squared bottom reduces the spinning significantly.
This. My jeweler just did this for me so that it would not spin and it does not spin.

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
They are expensive, but I have to say that I was very impressed with a Verraggio setting I tried on. It felt extremely comfortable and the design seemed to help avoid spinning. I didn't end up buying it, but it was beautiful.You may have seen them, but the interior part of the shank almost seems to have a design that kind of acts like sizing beads. (at least that what it seemed like to me) It was probably the most comfortable ring that I've tried in (and I've tried on many) in over a year of searching for my reset. :naughty:

I also struggle with spinning, but my recent reset has been overall pretty good in terms of spinning (must be balanced OK?). However, the varied size of my finger drives me absolutely crazy, even if it's not spinning. It can change pretty significantly during the day. I did already size it down from 5.25 to a tight 5, but I'm thinking of going down a bit more. It was a James Allen so I couldn't try it on first and I thought the band would actually come a bit wider than it did. However, I'm going to wait until summer as I know my fingers are bigger and my 4.5 wedding band sometimes won't go on. Today, even that one was spinning. :wall: What I do, which you may wish to try, is put my e-ring on my right hand when my fingers act skinny since the fingers on that hand are bigger. I'm actually doing that right now as my fingers seem to be bigger in the morning and smaller at night.

But I concur, a ring not fitting perfectly can be maddening! I hope you find a solution you are happy with. :wavey:

baroque

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for all your responses! I did hear back from WF that only about $100-200 would be credited toward a different setting since it was considered a custom piece (I did a platinum crown instead of the white gold which was standard-at a significant upcharge) which in itself is not a big deal, except it would have been much easier to break it to hubby if I decided to change, if this original setting was not lost money.

But...the money isn't the real issue, it's more important that I feel comfortable in my ring. I can't be taking it off during the day when I am annoyed at the spinning while working. There is too much risk of losing my ring by doing that. I may try sizing it down 1/4 before I give up (maybe 1/8?...is that even an option?) I hate that I have to mail it in to do this. The only downside to ordering online.

But then...the horror of trying to find something else...and I was really ready to be done with this. (and then to move on to more bling, of course)
Today, I'm going to try wearing it adding the 2mm band for the day and see if I can get used to that or if that helps...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would only resize a ring in the hottest month of the summer. You need it to be comfortable to wear when your finger is at its largest. I would definitely try different options such as beads and other add-on sizing devices before changing the ring. The knife edge should not be bothering you if the wedding band is the right height. I cannot feel my e-ring shank at all because the wedding band is the same height. I think with a stone that size, you can expect some spinning if your knuckles are larger than the base of your finger even if the shank is slightly wider. I would also try an extra band below the e-ring. Last resort, euroshank. But I don't like wider shank rings, so that is why I'd try all of the above first!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bcavitt|1426621732|3848666 said:

This would work great... anything to add heft to the bottom of the shank will help with spinning. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results