shape
carat
color
clarity

Victor Canera Experience

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
Kweckman: Your old stone is exceptional. You deserve an amazing experience. Please do come back and post photos once you have the completed ring. Seeing that stone come to life will be incredible! Can't wait!!!

Best of luck :)

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I read VC's reply, and perhaps he has a point, but the bottom line is you should get what you want, this is not a free ride, these things cost a lot of money. If VC does not want to do the job or you are not happy with the answers, then move on, last time I checked he did not have an exclusive on halo's.
Best of luck.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
liaerfbv|1421352278|3816960 said:
This is not the first time I've heard of people having issues with VC based on things they've posted here. Honestly, it's the reason I would never use him.

I contacted VC for a quote on a project last year, and the response I got was very terse and decidedly cool, so I went with another vendor.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
dk168|1421356659|3816997 said:
If I were a vendor, and found a potential client dissing me in public, I too would decline his/her patronage.

DK :rolleyes:

Did you really think the OP's original post was dissing VC?

Alexxxx

Rough_Rock
Trade
Kweckman,

You have an amazing stone and are willing to spend a generous sum on a setting - this should be a fun and exciting experience for you. Not a stressful one. I think going with someone like SK is a marvelous idea. He is sweet, kind, and kind of adorable (just saying..... :angel: ). I don't think you did anything wrong, you asked a question, no biggie. I hope your ring is amazing and I hope the process is enjoyable - all the best to you!

Michelez

Shiny_Rock
Has anyone asked for pictures of your diamond!? I want to SEE IT!!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kweckman, I am sorry that you did not feel good about your experience. I do hope that you can see that it is a matter of having different opinions about what would be beautiful high quality piece. Victor has certain standards to which he adheres. It's a matter of his personal integrity. Your requirements for your ring are not in alignment with his. Thus it just is not a good match. It is not personal. It is much better that he encouraged you to find someone who would be a better fit than for him to produce a ring that either he did not believe in or a ring that he loved but was not exactly as you wanted. I think that is a sign of his personal integrity. If I had decided I wanted to use my four 30 pointers on my new ring, Victor would not have done it. He doesn't use other stones other than the center stone. It's not personal. For that reason I had considered Caysie Van Beber when I had not finalized my design.

I am sad to see that you felt like you had to say his customer service level was poor due to the disagreement in design aesthetics. Based on his response and outcome, I do not agree. However, you of course have the right to feel any way you choose. It is your experience. And this is just my take from what you have shared and Victor's response.

I have been more than happy with the level of customer service I have received and professionalism I have experienced. I am looking forward to another ring from Victor soon and will save further comments for a future thread.

You have a stunning stone and Steven Kirsch will produce a stunning ring. Best of luck. I cannot wait to see the finished product.

Michelez

Shiny_Rock
What an amazing stone! SK will knock it out of the park with the setting I am sure.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
liaerfbv|1421416692|3817342 said:
If I were a vendor, and found a potential client dissing me in public, I too would decline his/her patronage.

Right? I didn't get that vibe at all. And I can't put my finger on it but I find VCs response a bit condescending.

Oh well. Onward and upward :)

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1421432671|3817510 said:

Right? I didn't get that vibe at all. And I can't put my finger on it but I find VCs response a bit condescending.

I, too did not get the impression you were dissing VC at all...just trying to interpret his response. Seems like a lack of communication and a misunderstanding of VC's responses to what you were wanting. His post in this thread clarified it all in detail and so time to move forward and upward.

What an amazing antique cushion you have. The faceting is perfection which you rarely see. Wish Jonathan at GOG could produce that pattern. ...the flower pattern seen in OEC's in a well cut cushion....Oh my!

All are so excited to see the finished product.

Can you please post the stats of your stone??//Please!

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
i get why the OP may be a little unhappy about the situation but it is what it is, you can't force a vendor to do something against their principle/rules.

just like how some vendors have strict rules of not accepting stones from other vendors. can they? yes they can, but they won't do it. because that's not the way they do business.

i think it's fair that he's rejecting your service after explaining to you that he simply doesn't use lower color melees, and his website does clearly state that he will not take specific directives from customers and that the ring they design needs to live up to their standards.

https://www.victorcanera.com/service/custom-design-policies
Code:
We do not accept accept hard specifications for jewelry designs such as stone or metal millimeter sizes, height measurements, or other specs. We gladly would take into consideration clients’ general preferences towards their designs though as in “a more delicate or substantial halo” etc. Our experience has been that allowing us to set the perfect proportions for your center stone and for your finger size leads to the best results.

i would've assumed that if you're willing to drop 6k on a setting you would read their website to find out exactly what you're getting.

it's just not meant to be but plenty of other fish in the sea. :angel:

cant wait to see the end result of that honker!

Alexxxx

Rough_Rock
Trade
Niel|1421432671|3817510 said:

This is EVERYTHING I was thinking said very well.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I reread Victor's response several times and did not think he sounded condescending. I think he was quite gracious. I also appreciated that he gave a detailed explanation of why he did not think it was a good fit. However, I appreciate details and specificity. Funny how different people can take a comment completely differently. "People vary..."

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I got a quote from VC in July 2014. The email from Paige was professional, courteous and prompt. The quote was for the Lynn Art Deco Halo which I love. It is a gorgeous ring. I had the center stone that I bought from Marymm - that she had gotten from Grace.

I called to see whether we could modify the pretty bare bones quote as it lacked specificity on the quality and size non-center stones VC was to provide as well as what I could expect in terms of timing and the process. I asked also whether the quote was firm. I was told the quote would not be revised even though some material terms were not specified. The answer was pretty brusque and fairly disinterested in my concerns about the contract. But who knows maybe the person was having a bad day - or I was the 10th person who wanted to discuss the contract. Or I am assuming some tone and manner that was not there.

As a long time lawyer and a newbie in getting jewelry from someone across the country, I was not comfortable with the quote as is. However, VC does lovely work. As I gain more confidence and see more of his work, my comfort level might change or he might change how he quotes and what he puts in his contracts. I do understand OP's disappointment. I am not at all discounting it. But artists/vendors get to choose with whom they work and how and what they create. I get to choose when and if I want to invest in their art and whether I should allow their people skills (or lack thereof) to influence how I feel about their art and whether I want to buy it.

P.S. I got a setting from Grace, set my stone from Marymm with a few tweaks from my bench in my city, and I love the ring. As others have said, lots of choices out there...

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've pestered VC prior to being a customer with four or five emails trying to figure out if I could afford one of his FC bands. Then working with him on my reset and after the reset a quote for the band to match that I still haven't ordered yet and asking about the braided band. In all three, four and five or more cases of exchanging with VC he's been so nice, so quick to respond and provided Ideas about how the ring would look based on what I was hoping for. I hate to see how this thread has gone. I don't think its a JOKE. It's his business. And he's very good at creating beautiful works of art. Just saying....

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1421435427|3817550 said:
I reread Victor's response several times and did not think he sounded condescending. I think he was quite gracious. I also appreciated that he gave a detailed explanation of why he did not think it was a good fit. However, I appreciate details and specificity. Funny how different people can take a comment completely differently. "People vary..."

I completely agree with your words LLJsmom.
I must say I am quite surprised about this discussion as Victor is such an absolute gentleman. Without exageratting I think I've sent more than 100 emails to Victor as I was so nervous about my first overseas project. I was completely hysterical to say the least. And he answered every single mail so patiently and professional. Never tired to give great suggestions. He is also quick to responds and sticks to his promises. Integrity must be his second name
But surely there is a jeweller for every personality.

SK will surely make a fabulous ring for you OP, just like VC just finalised his 3rd fabulousness for me.
Your stone is amazing OP :love: :love:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mayk|1421440296|3817625 said:
I've pestered VC prior to being a customer with four or five emails trying to figure out if I could afford one of his FC bands. Then working with him on my reset and after the reset a quote for the band to match that I still haven't ordered yet and asking about the braided band. In all three, four and five or more cases of exchanging with VC he's been so nice, so quick to respond and provided Ideas about how the ring would look based on what I was hoping for. I hate to see how this thread has gone. I don't think its a JOKE. It's his business. And he's very good at creating beautiful works of art. Just saying....
How is anyone treating this like a joke? The OP asked if they were out of line with their expectations. They stated there was a lack of enthusiasm, and wondered if they themselves were being too needy. Other people chimed in with similar experiences.

It's wonderful that you have had great experiences with this vendor, not everyone has, and I don't see why both sides cannot be heard (read?). Especially in this thread, most everyone has been very polite and respectful. Perhaps someone else reading this thread is going through something similar (doesn't even have to be the same vendor), and will gain insight into their own situation.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1421440890|3817636 said:
LLJsmom|1421435427|3817550 said:

I completely agree with your words LLJsmom.
I must say I am quite surprised about this discussion as Victor is such an absolute gentleman. Without exageratting I think I've sent more than 100 emails to Victor as I was so nervous about my first overseas project. I was completely hysterical to say the least. And he answered every single mail so patiently and professional. Never tired to give great suggestions. He is also quick to responds and sticks to his promises. Integrity must be his second name
But surely there is a jeweller for every personality.

SK will surely make a fabulous ring for you OP, just like VC just finalised his 3rd fabulousness for me.
Your stone is amazing OP :love: :love:

And Victor's response came after the OP stated:
"DO NOT user Victor if you want any type of customer service".

If I was a vendor who prided myself on integrity, professionalism and making the best pieces I can make, that would have been very personally hurtful and potentially damaging to his reputation and business prospects. Thus, I maintain that his thoughtful, detailed and patient response was more than gracious and representative of a true gentleman. I could sense no ill will or condescension in his response.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1421442398|3817658 said:
Mayk|1421440296|3817625 said:
How is anyone treating this like a joke? The OP asked if they were out of line with their expectations. They stated there was a lack of enthusiasm, and wondered if they themselves were being too needy. Other people chimed in with similar experiences.

It's wonderful that you have had great experiences with this vendor, not everyone has, and I don't see why both sides cannot be heard (read?). Especially in this thread, most everyone has been very polite and respectful. Perhaps someone else reading this thread is going through something similar (doesn't even have to be the same vendor), and will gain insight into their own situation.

You should read all the posts:

OP states:

After posting this I asked Victor another question and the response I got back was that he was now declining my work and told me to find another vendor. After a few more emails I found the reason was that he saw this post and was none too happy. What a JOKE!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Can I point out that this is a very unique medium.
Vendors are specifically identified- consumers are anonymous.
A smart vendor will monitor this site.
Think about how it feels to have your words, and work put under a public microscope- especially if you've got principles, and you're devoted to your art as a jeweler. As vendors we walk a tightrope. I can tell you that it's a challenge to be able to look at the hurtful things written in a balanced manner- and not get hurt by it.
My own personal feeling is that his response shows that Victor is a class act- for whatever that's worth.

Kweckman, congrats on your diamond.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP, for what it's worth, I had a similar impression after communicating with VC a couple of years back. I found him perfectly courteous and professional but had a feeling that he was more interested in recreating one of his existing designs rather than offering guidance for my half-baked Ideas. I ended up working with SK and couldn't have been happier with the process or the final product. Clearly VC has tons of very happy customers, you just have to go with the designer you feel you click better with. Look forward to seeing what you end up with!

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Seeing as how we have no idea what truly transpired between OP and VC, it's well within OP's rights to say he felt a vendor was communicating with was lacking in customer service. If he felt slighted, ignored, condescended to - whatever. It's his right to say what his experience was either way and everyone can draw their own conclusions. Continuing to post that VC is amazing designer and a wonderful guy does nothing to address how the OP felt after their interaction. Obviously based on other posts on this thread, others have also had negative experiences. That's okay. No one is perfect and not everyone clicks and no vendor is going to make everyone happy 100% of the time and the OP has moved on to a new vendor, no harm and no foul for anyone. But I really hate this mentality that "VC is the BEST!" and anyone who dares to post about a negative experience is committing the most grievous sin.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why is it ok for OP to call the communication "a joke". Because it didn't suit her that he declined politely... So it's ok to bash a well respected vendor because he declined in the spirit of not seeing eye to eye creatively? Then the people who've had good experiences should sit quietly on the sidelines and say nothing... Ok... Guess only the bad stuff should be posted. I withdraw I don't have a negative experience to share.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
liaerfbv|1421460346|3817800 said:
Seeing as how we have no idea what truly transpired between OP and VC, it's well within OP's rights to say he felt a vendor was communicating with was lacking in customer service. If he felt slighted, ignored, condescended to - whatever. It's his right to say what his experience was either way and everyone can draw their own conclusions. Continuing to post that VC is amazing designer and a wonderful guy does nothing to address how the OP felt after their interaction. Obviously based on other posts on this thread, others have also had negative experiences. That's okay. No one is perfect and not everyone clicks and no vendor is going to make everyone happy 100% of the time and the OP has moved on to a new vendor, no harm and no foul for anyone. But I really hate this mentality that "VC is the BEST!" and anyone who dares to post about a negative experience is committing the most grievous sin.

Well said.

I think VC has gotten plenty of great press from this site, and I think we would do a disservice to future posters to ignore less than stellar reviews.

I know personally I've contacted him regarding a project that was within his price range but modest, and I never got a return email.
I emailed SK and LM too. Everyone dogs on LM but he was the only one that even returned my inquiry. Everybody has different experiences. I think its fair we let people post both favorable reviews of unpopular jewelers and unfavorable reviews of popular ones.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Mayk|1421461130|3817806 said:
Why is it ok for OP to call the communication "a joke". Because it didn't suit her that he declined politely... So it's ok to bash a well respected vendor because he declined in the spirit of not seeing eye to eye creatively? Then the people who've had good experiences should sit quietly on the sidelines and say nothing... Ok... Guess only the bad stuff should be posted. I withdraw I don't have a negative experience to share.

Seeing as how you were not involved in the communication and have no true idea what happened... yes, it's fine for the OP to say his view of their communication was a joke. VC posted his view of the communication. Now we as adults can draw our own conclusions.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been reading this thread objectively because I have had no interaction with VC. As an objective reader, I can say that OP came here to express frustration and was advised by many--including those who have worked with VC--to go elsewhere. There were no VC cheerleaders here who blindly promoted him at the time that OP first shared his experience. All seemed to agree that maybe VC was not a right match for OP. I saw this thread go south when the OP called VC "a joke." I read VC's reply and read nothing condescending in his reply.His tone is sincere. He does not use loaded words or negative connotations. He is just an artist and a smart businessman who has been forced to defend his reputation because an anonymous poster has suggested that he offers poor customer service. He is lucky to have the opportunity to do so and smart to utilize it. If you were given a poor review of your work performance, I am sure that you would want the same opportunity. I think that his previous customers are posting to share their experience and unlike the OP, they are not hurling insults at anyone.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just because one person had a glowing experience with a vendor, that should not take away from the fact that someone else walked away from the experience feeling deflated. In most areas of life you can walk into a shop and say "Hi, this is what I want" and they make it for you. If I went to a seamstress or a baker with $6,000 and said "I want a lime green wedding dress to match my hot pink wedding cake" I would likely not be told that my vision doesn't align with their aesthetic and have my business turned away. It is up to the artist to refuse service to anyone, a point I definitely understand. An artist should not create something that doesn't line up with the standards or visions they have in place for their business. However, that doesn't make it sting any less when someone is turned away, and it certainly isn't invalid just because someone else got a beautiful ring and a warm reception. Just because a vendor is generally well respected does not take away from the fact that someone else felt dismissed. We see this time and time again on Pricescope, the defensiveness when someone questions the current favorite.

makeable

Shiny_Rock
I cannot speak highly enough about my experience with VC. Initially I had a different idea of what my ring should have been. He diplomatically guided me to different options. He was not forceful with his input. I could have interpreted this as him being disengaged or even apathetic. I could have been put off by a perceived attitude and gone to someone else. But the consistent quality in his work, the level of artistry and refinement, speaks for itself. Any lingering questions about lack of passion, commitment and dedication would be put to rest simply by viewing the many photos posted here of his work. Ultimately it was my decision and I went with his recommendation. The end result was stunning, beyond imagination. There are many fine vendors to choose from. Go with who you're most comfortable working with.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1421382026|3817218 said:
liaerfbv|1421352278|3816960 said:
This is not the first time I've heard of people having issues with VC based on things they've posted here. Honestly, it's the reason I would never use him.

I contacted VC for a quote on a project last year, and the response I got was very terse and decidedly cool, so I went with another vendor.

This was my exact same experience too.
There is no doubt in my mind that VC's work/craftsmanship is top-notch, but I found the customer service to be lacking (and therefore, made the choice to go with another jeweler). There are lots of designers/jewelers who can provide superior work, but finding one that is pleasurable to work with too (not the VC is not a pleasure to work with) is a huge bonus - at least it was for me. I got my dream ring and had fun with the whole process, so it was nice not to have to compromise on the entire experience.
Having said this, I read Victor's response, which I felt was professional and courteous, and I agree that there are two sides to every story.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results