shape
carat
color
clarity

Victor Canera Experience

kweckman

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I wanted to ask others if they think I am being a bit needy or if I should expect more…
I finally decided on a 4.6 carat VS1 - L cushion from OWD and I have to say I am pretty dang excited about it! Once I finalized the purchase I called of Victor Canera (due to all the recommendations) excitedly to discuss having it set, ask a few questions and talk about a few things I’d like to see on it.

Maybe it’s because I was super excited, but it felt like VC really had zero desire to chat or take my minimal requirements into consideration or even give recommendations. And I’m really not even asking for anything custom at all! I’m simply asking to have the original Anne Marie. When we first chatted he kept saying “it depends, it depends” which is completely fine. So based on a lot of feedback from PS I told him to just take a look at the diamond, provide recommendations and then we could discuss further. Yet when I called back after he saw the diamond it was like pulling teeth to get his thoughts.

A few things I asked for
1) The original Anne Marie Design (keeping it a bit rounder) He said it depends on the diamond, fine.

2) Chunky Melee like the original. Here I asked him to use his best judgment since the ring will already be big. He mentioned nothing

3) An attempt at matching the halo melee. He said they only carry G and up Melee. I’ve heard from other jewelers lower Melee can be found but he says it’s not possible . I have another post on this.

Maybe it’s because I didn’t buy the stone for him? Maybe I am asking for too much? For 6K I would have thought I’d get a little excitement about the project!

Let me know, please.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have worked with Victor a number of times and here is what I would add about your experience. Usually he doesn't like to comment on making something unless he has seen the stone in person. I'm not sure he likes chunky melee and for a stone that size, he will usually make a fine type delicate halo. If you want big and chunky pick someone else, unless it is using some other types of stones like cushion cuts or something for the halo. Neither he nor Leon react well to people telling them the size of the melee they both generally look at the stone, then make what they think is going to look the most visually pleasing.

I've asked about using lower melee as well and he is a vendor that doesn't do it. You would have to ask him why but I know he prefers not to.

I don't think it is because you didn't buy the stone from him, I think it is because you are telling him you want something a specific way and he is not answering you in the way you want to be answered.

To get what you seek you might be better off going to Singlestone (talk to Ari) or to Adam at Old World Diamonds, if you want lower coloured melee, Steven Kirsch might also be able to do it for you, I am not sure you can ask any high end vendor to use larger melee if they think it is going to look unbalanced.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi OP, I've talked with him 3-4 times on the phone and met with him twice in person. I did not buy my stone from him. He set my stone for me. Is it possible that maybe you were expecting more advice and discussion, and he wasn't long winded in talking to you? My observation is that Victor is super professional and very polite but does not talk because he loves the sound of his own voice. I actually think of him as a more reserved person. But if you ask him a specific question, he will do his best to answer it. The Anne marie was my top choice for a halo and I asked for that more rounded cushion shape. I asked why questions, and how did the shape turn out as it did. He then explained to me that he was actually more following the outline of the stone, although it was a round one. I think when you tell him you want it more rounded, he hears you, but he is not the type to reassure you five times that it will be fine. When I asked for millgrain on he edges of the basket I asked if it would be possible, he answered "yes", and did not reassure me in a comforting tone or repeat himself.

2. Chunky melee, I agree with Arkie that you have to be ok with trusting his eye. You mentioned it and he said nothing. Maybe he doesn't want to promise anything that he will not for sure deliver. Meaning that he may not be able to be exact about the size of the melee. He will want to choose the melee size that will most flatter your stone and make the ring as a whole most pleasing to be eye. And you did say that you are leaving it to his best judgement so what more is to be said?

3. Lower colored melee. I guess you can t make him. But let me just say the the light reflection of tiny melee is sooooo different from your huge L cushion that I don't think you will notice the difference. If you haven't already, You should look up threads on this subject. The melee will have tiny sparkles and the cushion will show big flashes of light. Have you found pics of large stones in halos? What was the color of the original Anne marie?

For what it's worth, I don't think Victor is a sales-y kinda guy and is not pompous so will not tell that he knows best and exactly what you should do. He just doesn't do that.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loved working with Victor. I had a few questions, he answered them I think we only spoke once on the phone before he started but he responded in a very timely manner to each email. My ring was completed early and when I sent an email to say I loved it he called to make sure. He was awesome. I was not too demanding but I was torn between two setting so for me it was more about deciding. I shipped my stone to him and told him when it arrived I would make my decision to give myself every last second to change my mind.

Alexxxx

Rough_Rock
Trade
I think talking to Steven Kirsch is a great idea. Then see who is a better fit for you, maybe it will be VC after all. Shop around, have fun with it! Good luck to you!

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My ring is the original Anne Marie. I don't have anything super interesting to add other than I am always excited when people consider this design! lol

I found working with Victor to be a wonderful experience. I hope you are able to find a way to communicate with him that feels good to you too. Don't be shy to bring it up with him - I found him quite down-to-earth and reasonable.

Anne

PS - I didn't find my melee so "chunky" personally... it was more than I wanted a sturdier ring that I wouldn't have to worry about. So I opted for a shank of 1.8mm (vs the 1.5mm or less that some others choose for the daintiest look). The result on the finger is not chunky IMO. People have told me in person in looks delicate, but also strong.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have worked on several projects with Victor Canera--each piece he has created for me has been exquisite! He really takes pride in his work and customer satisfaction is extremely important to him. He has always been very responsive in terms of communication, especially given his busy work schedule! For these reasons, I will continue to use him in the future for custom, hand forged pieces.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to add Victor has always been wonderful to work with, and is a lovely genuine guy - but I reiterate that when you get a ring designed by anyone like him, Leon or even Steven you are paying to hand it over to them, to let them flatter the stone the way they see best, not the other way around. My blunt observation is that customers that like to attempt to micro manage these guys or want a ring a certain way when the actual vendor thinks it will look better another way usually ends in tears.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Currently I am working with Victor for the third time and it's always a pleasure working with him. I have a feeling he does not like to be micro managed though. Secondly, he is very accomodating and always strives to offer great customer service. In emails he grows silent or gives a flat if I suggest design choices that finds sub-optimal. What works best is to give him the requirements that are most important for you and let him create a stunning ring.

Regarding the pave color: if you choose single cut pave, it will be a great match for your stone.

If it does not work out, you could opt working with Brilliantly Engaged.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely agree with the comments already made. Victor is a master craftsman and designer and someone I really respect. I trust his judgement. Tiny melee are going to look whiter than an L colored stone regardless of their color and I imagine that is why he uses what he uses. And it very well be that excellent cut melee are not available in lower colors. Be sure you are okay with the contrast. I love it personally, but the melee is not going to look like it is the same color of the stone.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Listen, I've talked to Victor and would not hesitate to work with him on a project.

I've also worked with Steven on a project and everything was great, start to finish.

That said, not every jeweler is a good fit for every person. Diamondseeker had a great experience with Maytal Hannah. I, on the other hand, did not click with her and after speaking to her, I thanked her for her time and moved on.

I understand you are excited and I appreciate that.

But for Victor its just another day at the office. And if you want your 6k to include enthusiasm... you may have to ask for it ;)) , adjust your expectations, or move on to another vendor.

BUT before you do that, ask him to schedule some time for you to talk to him on the phone about your project. And see how that goes.

Email isn't the best gauge of emotions.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gypsy and DS2006 have good points for you.
But he may not click with you, if you are not 100% comfortable, I would move on and leave no hard feelings. As stated above you might find great conversations and listening by SK or BE to your satisfaction. Its your money, you have a right to be 100% satisfied. Best of luck.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
I just want to say your cushion is "incredible!" Had to post the video...love the facet pattern...just perfection. I can see why you are so excited. Poor Victor may have been having a bad day, but sounds to me like that is his personality. With all the rave reviews of his work I'm sure he will make you a phenomenal ring as he loves old cut cushions so much he has his own branded cushions, which would make me trust his judgment even more when it comes to making your ring.
You received some great advice from all the posters who have worked with him in the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mFv0YKok5w

Stats please on your gorgeous honker cushion.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy said:
Listen, I've talked to Victor and would not hesitate to work with him on a project.

I've also worked with Steven on a project and everything was great, start to finish.

That said, not every jeweler is a good fit for every person. Diamondseeker had a great experience with Maytal Hannah. I, on the other hand, did not click with her and after speaking to her, I thanked her for her time and moved on.

I understand you are excited and I appreciate that.

But for Victor its just another day at the office. And if you want your 6k to include enthusiasm... you may have to ask for it ;)) , adjust your expectations, or move on to another vendor.

BUT before you do that, ask him to schedule some time for you to talk to him on the phone about your project. And see how that goes.

Email isn't the best gauge of emotions.

Lol Gypsy!! Good way to put it.

I had a great conversation with Caysie VB. She is an awesome person, salt of the earth, understanding, empathetic, enthusiastic. We bonded. I went with Victor because I love his work and I believed that he is the only one who would get the closest to what I had envisioned. Although he did not share my gushing excitement about my project, he is a sincere, integrous person I trust implicitly. And I wanted to work with someone i could meet in person to be certain I was comfortable. Thus SK was not a consideration. If I had plans to go to NY, it might have been a different story.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps I am easy going, I truly enjoyed working and like Victor, Steven and Caysie as people! I found all three of them really easy to talk to ... and listens.

We have to remember that these folks make tons of settings and many of them are pretty much the same old. You get tired of talking about it or really get excited unless it's something new or completely different.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I should probably say that I would not be okay with the contrast personally.

But I would want to work with a vendor that genuinely can source lower colored single cut melee. I would ask SK and ERD if they can.

IF they say they CAN'T get good quality lower color single cuts. Then... I am going to guess that the other vendors that say they can with no issue, are either using lower quality single cuts (my first halo had, unbeknownst to me, lower quality single cuts) or they may be 'fudging' about the actual color of the melee. And I wouldn't want that.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ariel144|1420781441|3813889 said:
I just want to say your cushion is "incredible!" Had to post the video...love the facet pattern...just perfection. I can see why you are so excited. Poor Victor may have been having a bad day, but sounds to me like that is his personality. With all the rave reviews of his work I'm sure he will make you a phenomenal ring as he loves old cut cushions so much he has his own branded cushions, which would make me trust his judgment even more when it comes to making your ring.
You received some great advice from all the posters who have worked with him in the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mFv0YKok5w

Stats please on your gorgeous honker cushion.

That stone is incredible. Please post at least 100 pictures.

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
What a superbly proportioned and beautiful 19th century stone!!
You should start a thread on the stone too. Really one of the most stunning diamonds I've seen shared on this site.
Wow!

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
That stone is luscious!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous cut stone is it an EGL graded stone because it's very obviously tinted?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I just looked at the video and that is the cushion pattern I keep dreaming about!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I have never worked with that vendor but just had to say your stone is stunning!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Just popping in to say that your diamond is stunning! Please post pictures :))

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
I looove that pattern!!! I hope it all works out the way you hope.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous diamond!!! :love: It is a beautiful cushion shape! The halo will be best just following the shape of the stone.

Is he recommending single cut melee or full cut? A lot of people prefer full cut, but I think I would want single cut with an antique cushion. But it depends on how much bling factor you want, I guess!

kweckman

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your feedback! I feel I need to provide an update…

After posting this I asked Victor another question and the response I got back was that he was now declining my work and told me to find another vendor. After a few more emails I found the reason was that he saw this post and was none too happy. What a JOKE!

I am sorry, customer service is not dead regardless if you are a super star jeweler or not. Simply put, DO NOT user Victor if you want any type of customer service in my opinion. I know a lot of people love him but this was a disaster for me. People should know both sides; especially when I have confirmed with other high end jewelers that I was asking very little.

Out with Victor Canera in with Steven Kirsh!

After all the great advice, I talked to LM and SK. Both were super nice, asked me questions, showed excitement and were happy to go over my requirements and express which ones they liked and which ones they didn't. Exactly how it should be!

I decided to go with Steven for a few reasons. I really likde his designs, he was SUPER nice and most of all; when I asked him if he could get ideal cut melee in I, J, or K he said NO PROBLEM! BOOM!

Anyways, whoever you pick the lesson here is that you shouldn't have to deal with poor customer service or a grump!

Good luck all

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is not the first time I've heard of people having issues with VC based on things they've posted here. Honestly, it's the reason I would never use him.

Victor Canera

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Kweckman,

I would definitely agree with you that there are two sides of every story.

Kweckman, I declined your project because you repeatedly asked for things that go against our Custom Design policies and I felt that we didn’t share the same design aesthetic.

The issue arose a few times about the single cut melee but I ONLY use Swiss watch quality single-cut melee that just do not come in lower colors. These are the same assortment of melee that high end watch brands use on their factory diamond bezels. Swiss watch brands don’t use L-M colored single-cut melee on their watches, hence they’re not really produced. Indian manufactured single cut melee in lower colors are produced but they’re not not the assortment that I would use.

I also didn’t think we shared the same vision regarding the aesthetics of the ring. This is the main reason that I asked you, respectfully, to please use somebody that has the SAME vision as you do for your ring.

I did not want to create a ring that I thought that I would love but you might not. That’s the gist of the issue here. I’m blessed to have clients that trust my aesthetic in jewelry and believe me when I tell them things.

I’m sorry you feel the way you do but at the end of the day, the most important thing is that you get the ring that you have in mind and it’s important that you use somebody that shares that the same vision as you.

Good luck, your diamond looked beautiful.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were a vendor, and found a potential client dissing me in public, I too would decline his/her patronage.

DK :rolleyes:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were a vendor with high quality standards and high morale I would decline working with someone who does not share the same aesthetic values as well. Because that's what it's all about isn't it? It's all about trust in a specific style as well as trusting someone's aesthetic eye because designing is a true skill. I am so glad I listened to Victor's recommendation's: for me it has led to his third stunning ring for me.

OP: I am glad you found a jeweller to meet your requirements. I am sure the outcome will work out for you. I would recommend you to trust SK's opinion though instead of climbing on the design table yourself. Your diamond is a beauty!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results