shape
carat
color
clarity

Round August Vintage. What color?

msanocki

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I'm new here and hoping you could help me out. I've been doing a lot of online research in terms of what style cut of diamond I'd like to buy for my future fiancé (i hope :) and I'm leaning towards a round August Vintage diamond from GoG. I always thought that the more colorless/near colorless the diamond was the better, but I'm reading posts from several people who prefer "warmer" color August Vintage diamonds -- I, J, K, etc.

I know this is a subjective question, but I was hoping you could shed some light on why I should go with a warmer color August Vintage diamond over a more colorless one besides the obvious that they are cheaper. Do they match skin tone better, reflect more colors, etc.? And feel free to chime in with any other advice! Also, if this has been discussed previously can you please shoot me over the best thread?

Thanks so much!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO you should only go with a warmer diamond if your GF has expressed a preference for a warmer color, or has said that diamond size trumps color for her, or has a Pinterest board filled with antique/antique-style diamond rings. Otherwise, if you are considering an AVR/AVC, I would suggest going no lower than H-color, or perhaps I-color.

A very high majority of PSers who have warmer vintage/vintage-style stones have chosen their diamonds themselves (even if styled as a gift/ER).

Here are some threads which may be useful to you:

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-own-have-owned-warm-colored-diamonds.134888/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/warm-color-diamonds.156305/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/anyone-here-prefer-warmer-color-diamonds.35236/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/low-settings-and-warmer-colored-diamonds.164883/

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Personally I wouldn't go below a J-K for an engagement ring UNLESS the intended lady is 100% comfortable with it. For a surprise, no way! Lower color diamonds can be beautiful, but they are obviously tinted. I ordered an O color AVC that I stalked for two years & while the performance was amazing, the color was just okay. I have fair-medium skin tone and it just blended in.I returned it. I still want an AVC or similar but will need to save up for a higher color as I don't want to go below 1.50ct or so in size.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Agreed with others. Most of my friends don't want to see any tint of color. This means no lower than I usually.

msanocki

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much everyone! This is very helpful!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an I color AVR and it is very white; what carat range are you looking at? Larger stones will show more body color.

msanocki

Rough_Rock
I'm thinking 1.3-1.7.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If this is a gift for someone else I'd stick to H-I and above personally, depending on how you plan to set it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

msanocki

Rough_Rock
So it sounds like I is the best way to go to get the most bang for my buck, while still having a diamond that looks white. I like simple settings so will likely put this in a simple white gold setting. I'd love to see some pictures of your rings with AVR for inspiration! Thanks again all.

msanocki

Rough_Rock
One more question I have for people who have bought from GoG. Is it worth trying to negotiate the price of the diamond or are they pretty firm with what they list on their website. Thanks!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
msanocki|1418058360|3797710 said:
So it sounds like I is the best way to go to get the most bang for my buck, while still having a diamond that looks white. I like simple settings so will likely put this in a simple white gold setting. I'd love to see some pictures of your rings with AVR for inspiration! Thanks again all.

Have you had a discussion with your future fiancé on the type of diamond and setting she prefers? What she prefers is really the only opinion that matters.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1418062444|3797729 said:
msanocki|1418058360|3797710 said:

Have you had a discussion with your future fiancé on the type of diamond and setting she prefers? What she prefers is really the only opinion that matters.
Callie said it best; it's not what colour is safest or design we like, it's for her so it should take her preference into consideration.

msanocki

Rough_Rock
I agree with both of you that getting her input is important, and I would love to do that, but she has reiterated to me time and time again that she wants it to be a surprise (both asking her to marry me and what the ring looks like), so I've come here for all of the advice I can get. As such, if there is any more information I can provide for you to give me a more informed opinion please let me know. Thanks again!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd be no help. My three stone ering is L/M AVC's. If JD would've not known what to get, and gone whiter/not tinted, I'd have been unhappy w/it but not understood why, bc I didn't know until I saw them, how much I like warmer colors. Even as far as getting an AVR, do you know that she likes that cut? If she's expecting an RB, will the AVR throw her?

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
If you said that you were going to set it in rose or yellow gold, then I think a J or K can look really pretty and "soft/warm." Since you plan on setting in white gold (and I am assuming plated with rhodium as is standard with most white gold settings), I personally wouldn't go lower than an I.

It also depends on how you plan on setting the stone. Color is most visible from the side/bottom, so if the stone is bezel set or in a halo, then you don't see as much body color of the diamond. If it's set in a solitaire, then it might be more visible.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It never hurts to ask any vendor if they can negotiate price. Sometimes the answer is no because their margin of profit is slim. Other times they can take a little off. I would say these vendors don't do it often because they already sell superior diamonds for less than high end jewelry stores do.

I might suggest Beverley K for the setting, even if it is a solitaire as they are antique style and will complement the setting. There are only a few pictured on the GOG site, but they can order anything you see on the BK website.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results