shape
carat
color
clarity

Is my alexandrite real?

js175009

Rough_Rock
I have been given an emerald cut alexandrite by my mother who was given it by my father who was originally given it by his mother (my grandmother). We do not know where it came from before my grandmother because she has passed away but she is from England and the ring is very old. It is on a gold band with two decent sized diamonds on either side. In the warm light of my home in appears purplish with some other tints but mainly purple but when it is outside it is greenish, maybe a little blue (tealish). It is a different color under almost every lighting. I have taken pictures and added them to show what they look like inside, with the flash of my camera, and also outside. The problem with the outside photo is that it appears green in person but looks purple as can be in the picture. Before taking it to a lab or someone professional I wanted to get the opinion of others and see what they thought. I have a very strong feeling about this ring. It is no ordinary ring and my gut tells me it is not synthetic and especially with all the research I have done, but really I just don't know. I do not see inclusions or bubbles or specks in the stone up close and under a magnifying glass. Thanks so much! :twirl:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Unfortunately...
1) age is no indication of authenticity when it comes to gems
2) at first sight your ring looks very much like synthetic - because? It's too large, too clean and too pale when all three of those are taken together. And also too "straight" a colour change.

Please read this informative thread by LD, one of the PS members who is very knowledgeable and who owns several alexandrites. https://www.pricescope.com/communit...read-this-first.179784/#post-3267495#p3267495

It is extremely difficult to judge from pictures whether or not a gem is genuine. The quickest way for you to be sure is to take it to a gemologist. Some jewellers are, or have on site, a gemologist and they should be able to say it is/isn't. Ring first to determine this! If there's any doubt you might then choose to send it off to AGL for a gem brief which is about $70 I believe.

ETA: I've also just noticed your colours are around the wrong way. An alex should be green-ish in daylight and purple-ish in incandescent.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Same opinion!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, it isn't real.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to say that even if it is synthetic it will no doubt have sentimental attachment for you. Don't be too disappointed because synthetics were often used early last century and were not necessarily inexpensive or viewed with disdain.

You might like to read this recent thread about a similar question-
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/hi-i-am-new-and-need-some-advice-alexandrite.205642/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/hi-i-am-new-and-need-some-advice-alexandrite.205642/[/URL]

And this much earlier thread from a couple of years ago-
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-can-you-tell-if-alexandrite-is-real-natural-or-lab.169211/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-can-you-tell-if-alexandrite-is-real-natural-or-lab.169211/[/URL]

ETA: Your stone also has a large window - the clear area in the middle that you can see through. Jerry Newman of GemartServices is a precision faceter who is a wizard at removing a window and giving the owner a sparkling gem without changing the face up size of the gem. Samples are on his website.

However the gem does have to have enough depth in order for him to do this and it's difficult to tell how deep your stone is. The re-faceting is relatively inexpensive for the stunning result - often less than $200.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry to say that based on your description, the likelihood of the stone being synthetic is very high. However, its monetary worth should have little bearing on its sentimental worth. I have many pieces passed down to me that I value highly even though it isn't worth a lot.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
If the window does not bother you, and you like the ring as it is, I would leave it. For me, changing sentimental items is a different thing than changing other types of jewelry.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay - well I can't see your photos but I can see the ring in your avatar and I'm assuming that's the one you're talking about?

Your description is highly indicative of a synthetic vanadium laced corundum. The photo in your avatar also suggests that too. These were very common around the turn of the century and were often teamed with diamonds and precious metal. The cut is also suggestive that it's not an Alexandrite because you very rarely see them in an emerald cut and couple that with no visible inclusions and it's heading away from Alex. In fact, I've only ever seen one square cut Alex (and never an emerald cut) but that's not to say there aren't more as I haven't seen all of them in the world (although quite a few) :bigsmile:

The good news is that whilst it may not be an Alex it's a lovely ring and has a great history to it. Also, people love these synthetic corundums specifically because they do mimic Alex.

However, for absolute certainty you would need to send this to a lab to get a report on it but whatever it is, it's a lovely heirloom to have.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results