shape
carat
color
clarity

Color change engagement ring w/Alexandrite Sapphire & Garnet

haroldiv

Rough_Rock
Hello, I have already learned a lot by lurking this forum over the last couple weeks and have used what i gleamed to put together what I hope to be a truly unique and different ring for my soon to be. Her favorite colors are greenish blue and purple and she doesnt like diamonds so obviously Alexandrite is perfect. That said it is incredibly pricey in good color change past 1ct and to top it off I want to take an odd approach. What I am trying to accomplish is a ring using 3 different color change gemstones that pair well together to create a bluish-green to purplish-pink change depending on the lighting. I understand that there is no way to make them match exactly so a general spectrum would be more than adequate. The three stones I have used in the mockup are:

Center - color change Sapphire .8-1.5ct
Accent - color change Alexandrite .3-.5ct
Ring Inlay - color change Garnet in whatever fits

I do not want to go the synthetic route on one stone as I would rather this be an authentic piece but if it is absolutely necessary to accomplish the look and/or meet the budget I could be convinced to go synthetic on all the stones and focus the budget on the band itself by adding detail work using platinum. I would like to spend no more than 2-3K on the stones themselves.

Lighting condition 1:
Blue center, bluish green accent and green inlay.

Lighting condition 2:
Purple center, purplish pink accent and pink inlay.

Hopefully this helps explain the concept a bit. Am I asking for the moon here? It seems I would need to work very closely with a large jeweler or a custom cutter to get the gems to all "vibe together" right?

Band wise I just used one that I knew she liked but I am not opposed to other ideas if you have them. Generally speaking she likes the modern "twisty" ones like I used below.

(Direct link to the image in case the embed doesnt work)
http://imgur.com/VHPPJ2B

tri-ring2.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Color change engagement ring w/Alexandrite Sapphire & Ga

This is a very ambitious project. I think the biggest issue might be budget and the sheer number of garnets you'd need that would match/almost match. I think that a three stone with sapphire/alexes might be doable in smaller sizes, but the garnets might prove difficult.....

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Sapphire
Sapphire Round Brilliant Cut
Weight: 1.32cts
Measurements: 6.3mm, depth 4.4mm
Clarity: VVS-VS
Origin: Sri Lanka
Enhancements: Heat only
Price: $ 975.00
Order/Stock No.: sapphire_blue_1135
Description: Nice round color change sapphire. Sparkly and brilliant, well cut and eye clean. No Pantone match.
(Cut by Andrew Gulij)

Alexandrite
Color description Medium Dark Green-Blue
Medium Reddish Purple
Color property Color Change
Light source Studio Daylight/Incandescent
Clarity Slightly to Moderately included
Shape Heart
Cutting Step Cut
Length 3.20 mm
Width 3.70 mm
Weight 0.320 cts
Enhancement (N) None
Origin Brazil

color_shift_sapphire.jpg

color_shift_alex.jpg

haroldiv

Rough_Rock

FrekeChild|1409872867|3745048 said:
I know these are hearts, but tucked next to a center stone, I think the shape would be nice. The colorway on both looks like what you want:

http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/pair/alexandrite/yax732aa/&1244716636

Yes I saw those earlier today. They are the perfect color but yeah not a huge fan of the hearts. I think I am going to send this post as an email to david wein and see if he can help. Maybe even create the ring.

He has a sapphire that would work well. its a little more royal blue than I would prefer but it would be fine as long as it was paired with quality blue/green alexandrite.

http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?136687388

He also has tons of garnets that should work in sizes all the way down to .059 ct

http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?1630679921

The only thing I am missing is the most expensive. a pair of round or oval high quality alexandrites.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

That sapphire has a medium sized window in the middle of it, but otherwise is a pretty color. I would still go for the Gemfix stone over a windowed stone, since it's for an engagement ring.

I don't like hearts all that much either, but I think they work well as side stones, especially with a ring that has this many things going on. Let me see if I can find a picture of a ring I liked a lot. At that size, and up against the center stone, they tend to look more like trillions than anything else.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

What a really interesting - and tough! - project.

However you might have your work cut out getting the look you want. Getting all the different types of stones to not only look good in one light, but to also change together in another light. Otherwise it could simply look like a muddy mish-mash of blue-green-purple all the time in any light.

Freke has come up with good suggestions though and I'm definitely with her on the precision cut sapphire over the large window in the other.

I think I am going to send this post as an email to david wein and see if he can help. Maybe even create the ring.

I think this is an excellent idea and will be very interested to see what he suggests :))

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

Have you seen an alexandrite in person? They can look muddy if they are not in the "right" light.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Great in theory, extremely challenging to execute and even if the stars are aligned correctly, the poor lady may have to wait years for the right stones to show up, unless you are fine with odd colour changers.

1. Just because her favourite colours are greenish blue and purple does not mean she wants to wear these colours for the rest of her life. Are you 1000% sure she wants these colours for her e-ring?
2. You are correct that good colour change, even in subcarat stones can be expensive, not to mention difficult to find.
3. Having stones that do not match well makes the ring look odd and cheap-ish. The picture you showed is an ideal condition that would be next to impossible to replicate unless you use synthetics.

CC sapphire - blue to purple
Alexandrite - blue green to reddish purple
CC garnet - blue green to reddish purple

The above are colour description for the very best colours and change. Most of the time, smaller stones end up very dark, gray and muddy. I have only seen less than 5 alexandrite that do not look muddy or gray under mixed light conditions. Many cc garnets, like-wise, tend to black out most of the time, once set.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm afraid to say that I agree with the other posters. My first thought was that it will take you a long time to source the three components, and an extremely long time to find stones that compliment each other - and even then, I would doubt that three color changing elements will simultaneously have the brightly contrasting color change you seek, but each will change in different lighting conditions, so you will end up with in between color most of the time.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock

I agree with the others about the unlikelihood of this idea working out, but the concept is clever and creative. It's worth asking David what he can do -- that's your best bet with the least headache.I'm interested in what he'll think.

haroldiv

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the advice and tips everyone. Yes this will certainly be challenging. I am considering skipping the garnet to make it a little easier. I have emailed david and i eagerly await his reply. Ill post an update when I hear back. Im sure if anyone can do it, he can.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results