shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Fluorescence lovers. I have some questions

n00bdiamond

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone. My mother is getting a diamond pendant for my fiance and we've been convinced that going the med/strong blue fluorescence route is the way to go to give some pizzazz to the necklace.

I contacted Brian Gavin's shop, where I previously purchased my fiance's diamond to look at options for a non-milky, hazy, non-performance degrading strong blue fluorescent diamond from his blue line.

The response I got is making me confused because the person said that you can't really see the blue color unless you put it under strong UV light. I countered those points by saying that UV light is present in the sun so that you should be able to see it if you're outside. The claim she pretty much made is that it's going to be very very difficult to see (if I even see it at all). I made another argument based on the pictures that have been posted on pricescope (pretty damn blue if you ask me), but she stated that it's most likely a picture effect and it won't look nearly as blue in person.

So my question is this......what do you think about what was stated above. And second, do you have to get super strong blue fluorescence to see this when you are outside? I'm not expecting this diamond to look like the blue on the pricescope banner but a light tint of blue would be nice under outdoor conditions (and in conditions where you don't actually shine an artificial UV light source on it).

I've read through most if not all topics on blue fluorescence from Brian Gavin's site and pricescope and I am still confused. If anyone can provide me with their thoughts on this I would appreciate it. Thank you.

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have a stone with strong fluoro - you can see it in my avatar under UV light. I live in Texas, so lots of high UV days. I look for the blue because I like it and I can see it, but it's not like it changes to a shade of blue so bright that others will notice. My husband has to hold my band and look directly at it to really see the blue.

It's hard to describe...it's almost like a reflection from a light background, except there's no background. It's a little like the faint tint of a I-J, except violet instead of yellow/brown.

n00bdiamond

Rough_Rock
I mean...then is it personal satisfaction thing? I had this idea that the tint of blue would show if you had it in a necklace setting and if you were in the right environment (mid-day sunlight. If that doesn't even happen and you really have to squint your eyes to see if it's even blue or not I'm starting to think that it may not be worth it to get a strong fluorescing diamond.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You may have to look for one that you can readily see in the sunlight. You will want to look for Very Strong Blue and have good discussions with your vendor and an EXCELLENT return policy is a must.

Wink

fritzi

Rough_Rock
I have always looked for strong blue fluorescence in diamonds and it does look amazing in the sunlight. I think it takes on a blue/lavender hue depending on the time of day and strength of fluorescence. It can give an icy blue appearance too sometimes. I love the effect so much that I would not even consider one with less than medium fluorescence.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All diamonds will reflect the blue of the sky.

I had a diamond GIA graded Medium Blue and another diamond GIA graded No Fluor.
Side by side under a sunny blue sky both looked equally blue.
Clearly I was seeing reflections of the blue sky.

Of course the one with blue fluor WAS fluorescing blue, but the blue light from the reflection of the blue sky is a zillion times brighter than the blue light from the fluorescence.

It's like standing in front of a speaker column at a loud rock concert next to someone whispering to you.
Their whisper still makes a sound, but you just can't hear it.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
My e-ring has SBF and I definitely notice the blue when I'm outside (if I look at my ring -- it doesn't glow with an unearthly light or anything :) ). I also have non-tinted UV-blocking film on my car windows and can easily tell the difference between when I have the windows up (no fluor!) and when they're down, or when I'm in someone else's car. It is like a little UV detector.

BUT... as a necklace? She won't be able to move it around and catch the bluest angle just-so, and actually she won't be able to see it all herself. I think the effect might lose something as a necklace... since, like others have said, it isn't so obvious that someone else would be likely to remark upon it.

n00bdiamond

Rough_Rock
Evergreen thanks for the tip. Maybe having a fluorescing blue diamond is not the best idea for a necklace. I guess it's grounds to reconsider some other options....can anyone chime in on thoughts on whether or not this was a bad idea to begin with?

Bailey_Lou

Shiny_Rock
I had a strong blue fluorescent ring from WF that was an ideal cut (of course). The BGD blues are a good route for finding one that does not detract from your diamond's performance. My diamond rarely looked blue in the sun and instead sometimes turned into a light lavender hue. It was a delight when I was able to catch it but not the only reason that I bought it. I bought it because it was ideally cut, a beautiful diamond and happened to be a great deal because so many people are scared to buy a fluoro stone. You can get some really great deals if the fluoro does not impact performance.

scratch

Rough_Rock
noobdiamond I think it's a cool idea!

As evergreen said, she won't really be able to see it if it's going to be a necklace... BUT... what about down the track if she ever decides to reset it into a ring then it will be awesome. Also, if you're looking at BGD I was under the impression that the whole reason he made the BGD blue line was to give people a budget friendly option as fluor often lowers the price of diamonds slightly... right? :/

I am just a noob too, so these are just imo but I actually think it's neat to have something a bit different that no one else (or not many) people have... so I am +1 to the blue! :D

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a D color rb w sbf (see avatar). It is a lovely stone, and I can tell it has fluor in UV light, including outdoors, but it doesn't "glow bright blue" outdoors - it only does that under blacklights. It is more like a very faint but perceptible periwinkle glow outdoors. There is nothing wrong with fluor at all - it is a very cool effect. But if you are buying to see it, then putting it in a necklace isn't the best idea imo. That said, don't avoid fluor stones - buy whatever stone fits your needs and budget, and if it happens to have fluor, then that's a fun benefit!

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
n00bdiamond|1409415524|3741992 said:
The response I got is making me confused because the person said that you can't really see the blue color unless you put it under strong UV light. I countered those points by saying that UV light is present in the sun so that you should be able to see it if you're outside. The claim she pretty much made is that it's going to be very very difficult to see (if I even see it at all). I made another argument based on the pictures that have been posted on pricescope (pretty damn blue if you ask me), but she stated that it's most likely a picture effect and it won't look nearly as blue in person.

I agree with the BGD rep. As I've stated on a recent SMTB thread on a similar topic, I am not a diamond expert, but I work a lot with fluorescence in scientific research. And, in my opinion, many of the "blue" pictures posted on PS, while beautiful, are misleading with regards to the effects of fluorescence on diamond appearance.

To illustrate, please see the pictures below.

This set is from HappyNewLife. The first pic is indirect diffuse light, and the second pic is in direct sunlight. This diamond has NO Fluorescence, yet appears blue under the sunny blue sky.
photo_2_100.jpg photo_3_78.jpg

The second set of pictures, from Frisbeenut, is of a Strong Blue Fluorescent diamond; the first picture is in the shade (indirect sunlight), while the second picture is in direct sunlight at noon sun under an extremely clear blue sky.

top_down_shaded_sunlight.jpg top_down_sunlight.jpg

My point is that if you have a well-cut bright diamond, it will reflect the blue sky back to your eyes. All that red that we seek out in IdealScope images and ASETs, well guess what? The blue sky acts like a huge IdealScope, except blue! :bigsmile: So, if your IS/ASET is nice and red, then your diamond will look blue under a sunny blue sky.

Now, to what extent can you see actual fluorescence? In my opinion, the description of having to look really closely and squint does ring true (unless you are under a blacklight in a darkened room). If outdoors, to avoid being confounded by reflections of the blue sky, you should view the diamond sideways, and look through the pavilion (i.e., similar to the way color is graded). For example, in Frisbeenut's picture below (of a Strong Blue Fluorescent diamond in direct sunlight), look at the pavilion (and ignore the reflections from the crown):

angle_2_sunlight.jpg

Pay special attention to the "window" in the middle of the pavilion, which basically picks up the background color (the tan of the ring-box lining). Do you see any bluish tint on top of the tan color? Personally, I would say there may be a slight bluish tint there, but as you can see it is subtle, at best. Thus, if you're buying a blue fluorescent diamond with the expectation that it will be intensely blue under the sun, you are either going to be disappointed, or you're going to allow yourself to believe that the blue sky reflections actually represent blue fluorescence.

n00bdiamond

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for that illustration. I think that seals the deal. I won't actively look for a blue fluorescing diamond. If it happens to be a great diamond and it fluoresces then it won't deter me from buying it....Thank you so much!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results