shape
carat
color
clarity

I need a mahenge spinel (its all your fault so please help)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: I need a mahenge spinel (its all your fault so please he

I would just wait until Intergem and see them in person. I would just make sure they know which show you'll be at, your budget, and what sort of thing you're looking for so they can be sure to bring it. Be sure when you're there that they pull out other trays than what's in the case because they always have more. If Vance Gems is at your Intergem it's worth checking with them too. It'll really be much easier if you have a specific color in mind, especially since when you see a whole tray of them together it's obvious which color pops out at you.

new-beginning

Shiny_Rock

did you see the 1.29 ct one Jeff Davies posted? just under $600. 00

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

new-beginning|1406080859|3718729 said:
did you see the 1.29 ct one Jeff Davies posted? just under $600. 00

Who is Jeff Davies?

(I am such a newbie here, lol)
never mind..I just googled him..found his fb page and site. I am in sooo much trouble :wall:

I only saw the 1.01 carat one - beautiful stone but not the saturation I'm looking for. Do you have a link to the 1.29 ct one (or is it gone already?) Thanks for the tip either way!

Yvonne and Prima are really going out of their way to help me, so I'd love to give them my business (for the right stone, of course).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Is the gem handler's hands that pale normally? Since you are headed to a gem show later this year, I would request Prima to hold a few potential ones closer to that date and also find out if Vance will be attending the show.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ok - here are the ones Prima picked out for me...

spinel_1_1.jpg

1.09 cts Emerald Cut Mahenge Spinel. Measures 6.2 x 4.7 mm. This is the one and only true old stock spinel I have left. It is what everyone calls "Magenta Spinel" and was picked out by Yvonne for you. Nice cut and color as you can probably tell from the pictures. To my eyes this one has 60% pink, 30% red, 5% purple and 5% orange. If "old stock magenta" is what you're looking for then the buck stops here (at least for my inventory).

spinel_1_2.jpg

1.19 cts Oval Mahenge Spinel. Measures 7.4 x 5.2 mm. Very bright and very eye catching. This stone is a little fireball. Great flouresence as well. The cut is great and I do not see any extinction at all. To my eyes it is about 85% pink, 10% red and 5% orange (only in certain lights do you see a hint of orange, other lights its mostly only pink).

spinel_1_3.jpg

1.35 cts Oval Mahenge Spinel. Measures 7.1 x 5.7 mm. This one is very similar to the 1.09 ct "Magenta Spinel" except for the fact that it is a fairly recent stone and therefore is not part of the same old stock batch. Also I see less orange and slightly more purple in this gem compared to the 1.09.

spinel_0_0.jpg

. 0.77 cts Oval Mahenge Spinel. Measures 5.8 x 4.8 mm. Beautiful cut with great brilliance, no extinction and unbelievable brightness. It shows a very tiny window as it is because of the high crown but I am 95% sure that it will close up completely once set into a piece of jewelry. To my eyes it has about 70% pink, 25-28% red and maybe 2-5% orange under certain lights.

spinel_1_4.jpg

1.04 cts Pear Mahenge Spinel. Measures 7.3 x 5.0 mm. Again a great cut with nice brilliance. To my eyes this gem is about 60% pink, 30% red and 10% orange.

spinel_1_5.jpg
1.09 cts Pear Mahenge Spinel (This is the one you sent me a link of). Measures 8.0 x 5.4 mm. Top cut, no window, great brightness. To my eyes this has about 50% pink, 40% red and 10% orange. The orange gets less visible in artificial flourescent lights.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

My thoughts -

- Still leaning towards the magenta - LOVE the color but wonder if an emerald cut shows off the stone as well.
However, after doing this for 6 or 7 years, we know how rare the "magenta" material used for the emerald cut stone is. For the sentimental value of that material, this may be the best stone for you.
- Strongly considering the 1.19 oval (second picture)
My personal favorite is still the 1.19 ct I first sent you, as is Jaimeen's. The color is absolutely beautiful, and I feel like this stone would be extremely eye-catching in a ring or other piece of jewelry, which I know is what you were looking for.

- There is also the "magenta-like" oval if I want the color but don't want the emerald cut

I am also considering the .77 carat because its a fairly inexpensive way to dip my toes in the mahenge waters (but unfortunately, I don't know if I would want to invest in a good setting for such a small stone). The prices of the others are roughly the same.

Maybe I will ask if they will bring the first two to Chantilly. Vance Gems is going to be there too. I really welcome your thoughts and opinions. If these aren't anything to get excited about, I won't ask them to hold any of them (because knowing me, I always feel compelled to buy when people go out of there way to help me)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If the photos are accurate, I like the first two the best from a color standpoint.

There are people with emerald cut, or elongated scissor cut mahenge spinels that love them, so I don't think that shape is cause for concern.

I wouldn't bother with the 77 pointer. The color, at least on my screen, doesn't look that great, and you can use the money for another stone.

michellechan2211

Shiny_Rock

*drools over the emerald cut*

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Love that emerald cut!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

What are the prices on these? I like the octagon one myself. (I refuse to call it an emerald since it's not step cut! I have issues.... :shifty: )

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is NOT an emerald cut because it isn't a step cut. You can call it a rectangular cushion, if you like, with squared off corners. I love this the best. Excellent cutting and the best colour of all those shown. I like this the most, not because of it being magenta, having more red, less pink, etc but because it has the strongest saturation of all your choices.

Like TL, I wouldn't get the 0.77 ct either. It is best to save that money and put it towards your final stone.

spinel_1_1.jpg

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks so much! As soon as I saw the magenta stone, I thought "this is it" but still questioned my judgement as Prima was clearly in favor of the neon oval. I did hear from Yvonne (can't reiterate how much she has gone out of her way to help) who said she saw both side-by-side and she recommends the magenta one as well. (With the catch that both are beautiful and some of it is her color preference) So its good to hear some confirmation of others that it isn't a bad choice.

I've asked Prima to bring both stones so I can see/compare IRL (and they've agreed). Hopefully, I will go home with only one stone :tongue:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

FrekeChild|1406266737|3720314 said:
What are the prices on these? I like the octagon one myself. (I refuse to call it an emerald since it's not step cut! I have issues.... :shifty: )

Prices were pretty much what is reflected on their site. They offered a PS discount on top of that so they all fell in the $750- under$1000 range. The .77 carat one was much less expensive.

Surprisingly, the magenta one wasn't the most expensive by far (probably a FIRST for me :angel: ).

Based on what I have seen, the net price seems very fair in today's market...not the steal one might get on the resale market but I seem to always miss out on those deals anyway. But there are others more knowledgeable on what it should cost.

P.S. LOVE your mahenge ring - so you are partly to blame for this too ;-)

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks you DianeM for coming out of the "shadows" to share your insights and pictures! Wow..to have such a collection. I so wish I knew about these back in the day...oh well, hopefully by hanging here, I can hop on the next gorgeous finding before their prices go crazy :)

I'm not surprised that Yvonne's stones are better than they appear in pictures. Knowing she picked the magenta stone for me after our discussions gives me a high degree of confidence that it will "the one". I still can't believe how she continued to reach out and offer to help me in my search. Truly classy person.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

DianeM|1406343543|3720795 said:
Thanks so much, lilmosun. I can't tell you how much grief I went through just now trying to learn how to post on this website. The text part wasn't a problem, but the photos. aargh!! :-o I almost gave up, but my millennial son rescued me with his timely advice. :)

Actually your positive comments about Yvonne are giving me a chance to ask something I've wondered about. Does anyone know why she isn't on the respected vendors list here on PS? This one:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cs-respected-vendor-list.199230/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cs-respected-vendor-list.199230/[/URL]

I keep hearing from you and others how great she has been in terms of customer service. Just off the top of my head, I remember her being praised by ilovegemstones, mochiko, velourial, katharath, xrisis, distracts, GemFever, melave, MollyMalone, Xiriah, Elyxia, and minousbijoux. So I don't understand the omission. In my experience over the past year, she has always gone the extra mile to source special gems for me, and I've found her to be unusually approachable and inventive in brainstorming about problems.

:confused:

Diane
https://www.pricescope.com/forum/co...ad-with-respected-cs-vendors-t169561-120.html

Because no one has added her? She typically has lots of pairs, and smaller stones. Also, I believe she sources most of her gems from Prima who is already on the list. I've had a good experience with her, but I hadn't thought about adding her either.

sapphirecats

Shiny_Rock

athenaworth|1406055864|3718410 said:
Prima's photos are often quite different from the actual stone. You have to really be able to stand back and take in the whole thing before you can really determine what they're going to look like. As an example, I'm attaching a picture of mine that Prima sent to me and then my picture. You can see that there's quite a difference. I purchased this ring based on Prima's description which was spot on.

:love: :lickout: these colors are gorgeous!! Where can I find one that color?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

DianeM|1406389148|3720990 said:
I asked above why Yvonne Raley wasn't on the PS respected vendors list, and FrekeChild kindly answered.

FrekeChild said:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/can-we-start-a-new-thread-with-respected-cs-vendors.169561/page-5']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/can-we-start-a-new-thread-with-respected-cs-vendors.169561/page-5[/URL]

Because no one has added her? She typically has lots of pairs, and smaller stones. Also, I believe she sources most of her gems from Prima who is already on the list. I've had a good experience with her, but I hadn't thought about adding her either.

Thanks for stepping in to comment, FrekeChild. I’ve been following your posts for, like, forever. (Also ones by TL, Chrono, athenaworth, and other frequent posters on this forum – I’ve learned so much from all of you. THANK YOU.)

I hesitate to put Yvonne on the respected vendors list because I’m such a newbie, but since you’re offering me a link to it, I guess I’ll go ahead and do it. If the moderator/administrator objects, I’m sure I’ll hear from her. (I also noticed that there’s a broken link on the list to weblorn’s site, and I’ll try to fix that as well. I think weblorn has great stuff, and I just noticed that it's on major sale on eBay right now.)

Freke – if I can address you in such a familiar way – Yvonne does offer a lot of smaller and less expensive stones (which I actually appreciate!), but I think she may be moving into the more luxury market. I just went on her Etsy site and I saw that – if her Sold listings are accurate – she sold two almost $4,000 Mahenges during her current sale ending tomorrow. Her Facebook page (under Cecile Raley Designs - Cecile is her middle name) also talks about a new independent website she is developing that looks like it might focus on upper-end offerings.

I guess I just think that although Prima may be the source of many of her gems, Yvonne is the one who is spending time holding customers’ hands, designing finished items with those gems, and constantly interacting with setters and engravers in NYC – as well as her casting service and many dealers other than Prima. I believe she is also often the one who puts the “pairs” together, and that in itself must be very labor-intensive. So I think she deserves to be recognized.

But back to the magenta Mahenge search! Lilmosun, please do keep us posted on your progress. Since there are so few gems left in that 2009 color, a lot of us might be interested in whatever you don’t end up choosing. ;-)

Diane
Sure, just don't call me FC. I don't really have a reason why, but it bugs me so much. :cheeky: (I respond to Freke and FrekeChild IRL - it started out as a nickname from a bully and I embraced it.)

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Marlow|1406399039|3721070 said:
What about this one - 1,7 ct for less them 1K

http://www.loosefacetedgemstones.net/servlet/the-65/Burma-pink-spinel/Detail

It is a burmese stone BUT.... :lickout:

Oh my, it is pretty too....I'm soooo confused ;( How do the characteristics of the pink spinels from Burma typically differ from the ones from Mahenge (or other Tanzanian spinels)? I've seen so many posts about those from Mahenge here - what makes them so desirable over the others (or are they really not)?

I think I need to decide whether I am sticking with a "magenta" stone or want to go hot pink instead...or both :lol: Hopefully, seeing some stones IRL at Intergem will help :D

Thanks DianeM for adding Yvonne - I would've done it but since I have yet to buy anything form her, didn't feel qualified.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock

Hey

http://www.gia.edu/gems-gemology/spring-2014-pardieu-jedi-spinels-in-mogok

This stone is a Namya spinel - if the pictures are accurate it should come close to the gems in V. Pardieu article.

Burmese and Mahenge produce both fantastic spinel - mahenge are a bit larger than burmese and with an slight orange hue and a bit sleepy. But you find the some color in burma and mahenge too. Burma is famous for beautiful red spinel.

this is 1,7ct for less then 1K and was 2200 $ before...

If you are interested I would ask for more pics.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Marlow|1406518918|3721761 said:
Hey

This stone is a Namya spinel - if the pictures are accurate it should come close to the gems in V. Pardieu article.

Burmese and Mahenge produce both fantastic spinel - mahenge are a bit larger than burmese and with an slight orange hue and a bit sleepy. But you find the some color in burma and mahenge too. Burma is famous for beautiful red spinel.

Thanks Marlow!

I did contact them...have you bought from there before...concerns me that there is little information about them on the site. If this is a neon pink, I may be tempted to get this in addition to the magenta mahenge....here I go again, lol :wall:

katharath

Ideal_Rock

DianeM|1406389148|3720990 said:
I guess I just think that although Prima may be the source of many of her gems, Yvonne is the one who is spending time holding customers’ hands, designing finished items with those gems, and constantly interacting with setters and engravers in NYC – as well as her casting service and many dealers other than Prima. I believe she is also often the one who puts the “pairs” together, and that in itself must be very labor-intensive. So I think she deserves to be recognized.

Diane

:appl: Yes, I completely agree with you, Diane. Yvonne does all of those things and very well, IMO :). And I know for sure that she sources many gems outside of Prima as well. I've also enjoyed seeing her expand her inventory as of late to include larger, pricier gems.

I hesitated to add her to the vendor list simply bc I've never added anyone before, and now I feel like that was probably a stupid reason. She certainly deserves to be there!

Sorry for the little threadjack, but I saw your post and appreciated it :)

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lilmosun|1406520470|3721766 said:
Marlow|1406518918|3721761 said:
Hey

Thanks Marlow!

I did contact them...have you bought from there before...concerns me that there is little information about them on the site. If this is a neon pink, I may be tempted to get this in addition to the magenta mahenge....here I go again, lol :wall:

I have emailed them in the past and never received a response. Something about their site seems...fishy.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock

No, I have no experience with this vendor - like the most vendors in internet.

Hope hey answer your mail otherwise they are not interested in buiness.

But a Namya in this size and clarity is worth to think about it. Would be happy if I could do it at the moment!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have never heard of the vendor so I don't know how trustworthy he/she is but if the picture is accurate, that's a good price for a nice looking Namya.

As with any stone, don't worry too much about the origin. If the colour (and price is right) and you like it, just get it. There are great and ugly stones from all locations; only that certain locations are known for certain characteristics so your chances of getting one with that characteristic is higher if it comes from that location. Mahenge is well known for intensely (or hot) pinkish red spinels. One can also get larger sized gems (5 ct and upwards) whereas the it is rare for Burmese spinels to get that large.

Diane,
Thanks for adding Yvonne Raley to the list. I thought I mentioned it to Katharath earlier to add her to the list but K probably didn't see my reply. Sometimes, the old-timers are busy or forgot to add good vendors to the list. As long as most have had a good experience with the vendor, there's no reason for anyone not to add the vendor to the list. It is an open list and there's no true moderator apart from CSers themselves. The only time there might be raised eyebrows is if it is a new vendor no one else has heard of or dealt with, in which case, a new thread with a review of PSer's experience is all that is needed.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock

However, thanks so much for the link you provided to the story of spinel mining in Burma, Marlow.
It’s beautifully written and so informative, plus the photos are out of this world. However, to my eyes the color of the advertised spinel doesn’t at all match the color of the Namya spinels in the article.

---------

Yes - the article is fantastic - think the man with the three crystals is still smiling!! Mr. Bryl - a high end gem dealer.

I have both - Mahenge and top Burma - red and one Namya ( 0,43 ct windowed ) with a super color.
Compared with best mahenge - difficult!!!

Both are super - the namya is more saturated - but still neon. The mahenge are like a "textmarker" dot on white paper!

The 1,7 ct - still think it is interesting. But if you feel bad - let it go. Did they answer your mail?

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

No reply (yet)

Since patience has never been a strength of mine, I gave into impulse today and bought this one off LT. Is anyone surprised?
http://loupetroop.com/listings/ring...w-gold-and-plat-neon-pink-spinel-diamond-ring

The stone is much smaller than I wanted but I think the setting will make it stand out (if this thing glows like folks say). Besides...it was my size, so it was meant to be....right?

I am thinking that I now have the neon, I should just have them to bring the magenta stone and let the pink one go assuming this is a nice quality neon pink stone (as you can tell, I have no clue). Or should I have them bring the other one to compare?

Plus I probably should hold of spending on a setting for the magenta stone until next year, so I can enjoy this in the meantime :)

Excited about seeing my first mahenge IRL :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lilmosun|1406607445|3722329 said:
No reply (yet)

Since patience has never been a strength of mine, I gave into impulse today and bought this one off LT. Is anyone surprised?
http://loupetroop.com/listings/ring...w-gold-and-plat-neon-pink-spinel-diamond-ring

The stone is much smaller than I wanted but I think the setting will make it stand out (if this thing glows like folks say). Besides...it was my size, so it was meant to be....right?

I am thinking that I now have the neon, I should just have them to bring the magenta stone and let the pink one go assuming this is a nice quality neon pink stone (as you can tell, I have no clue). Or should I have them bring the other one to compare?

Plus I probably should hold of spending on a setting for the magenta stone until next year, so I can enjoy this in the meantime :)

Excited about seeing my first mahenge IRL :)

Congats, please post pics when you receive it.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock

Wonderful gem!!!' :appl: A very good choice!!

And very good price!!!

But use sun glasses!!! You will need them!!! 8-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results