shape
carat
color
clarity

My experience buying sapphires from a local jeweler

BearFluff

Rough_Rock
I've been looking at buying a sapphire online, but my local jeweler won't set a stone unless I buy it from him. He assured me he could get sapphires from his supplier at trade prices and would find some nice ones, plus I liked his semi mounts and they seemed fairly priced, so I thought I'd give him a chance. I was incredibly disappointed - not a single one of the stones he produced was decent, they were all poor quality and ridiculously overpriced.

Stone #1 - $4300 for 2.5ct heated Ceylon sapphire, very shallow and spready with a huge window covering about 75% of the stone. It was so pale it looked like an aquamarine and I could read my newspaper through it.

Stone #2 - $6000 for 2.1ct heated Ceylon sapphire, deep blue but darker than ideal, with a really obvious navy colour zone right across the table of the stone.

Stone #3 - $6800 for 2.2ct heated Ceylon sapphire, very dark navy blue, a few lighter blue flashes when tilted but mostly extinct.

The jeweler proceeded to tell me that these were excellent quality stones, especially the windowed one because the light coming through the back makes it sparkle. Erm, no it doesn't! He didn't point out the flaws or explain them honestly, or even explain what I was getting for my money and why the stones were different prices. He claimed the stones had only been heated and had no other treatments, but he had no proof of this and no proof of their origin; the stones were completely uncertified. While I realize they won't be certified in the same way as diamonds, for that price I'd at least expect certification of their origin and treatments, and proof that they actually are sapphires and not just blue glass!

I'm not an expert but I'd guess that every single one of those stones would cost less than $1.5k if bought from an online gem vendor, which would mean the jeweler has at least trebled the price. I understand he has to make a small profit to keep his business running, but his mark-up just seemed ridiculous. At his prices I can't actually afford a decent stone with no major flaws, and he isn't willing to set a stone if I buy it myself (obviously because he can't charge a ridiculous markup on the price!) Also he suggested that if a stone didn't fit my chosen semi mount he could have it recut to fit - I don't see the point of paying for a well cut stone of a certain weight and then chopping off a few points of a carat and throwing them away! I actually think he just tried to sell me whatever he had in stock, as he couldn't source sapphires at 24 hours notice and the stones didn't fit what I asked for in terms of color or shape.

So, I think I've pretty much given up on local jewelers. Maybe my expectations were too high? I probably expect more information than the average customer would, and I certainly expect prices which aren't marked up so much.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BearFluff|1405849667|3716965 said:
He claimed the stones had only been heated and had no other treatments, but he had no proof of this and no proof of their origin; the stones were completely uncertified. While I realize they won't be certified in the same way as diamonds, for that price I'd at least expect certification of their origin and treatments, and proof that they actually are sapphires and not just blue glass!

:appl: :appl: :appl:

Most consumers in the marketplace will give him the money for his stones because they're not as educated as you are. ;))

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It's a joy to read your account, disappointing as the experience was for you! Love to hear from educated consumers.

Some jeweler! Instead of re-working the setting to fit the stone, you re-cut the sapphire for the setting? :evil: Good gawd.

At least give up on that jeweler. Generally you can do much better online because a b&m jeweler has to support his premises & whatever else, like advertising, etc. The vendors on the sticky at the top of this forum have return policies that let you see the stone in person & send it back if it's not what you want. Not as effortless as having several to choose from on a counter in front of you, but as you've seen, worth the tiny additional chore.

If you'd like us to help you find some possibilities, we'd be happpy to, with helpful info on the color you're looking for, shape if any, size, budget, acceptable treatment.

Keep up the smart work!

ephsea

Shiny_Rock
Sounds like all of my local jeweler experiences so far. Most of them look like this to me when they talk ---> :liar: If you let some of the pros on here go on a sapphire hunt for you, they're sure to come up with some great stones at great prices. Tell us what you're looking for in color, shape, clarity, and treatment?

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Look at these and tell the board what you like: http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_blue.html

They can give you feedback and make suggestions. As far as setting it goes, believe me we can find you anything your heart desires in a setting and most likely at a better price and higher quality. Settings are an obsession on here. Do you have any pictures of the setting you want?

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
The jeweler proceeded to tell me that these were excellent quality stones, especially the windowed one because the light coming through the back makes it sparkle. Erm, no it doesn't! He didn't point out the flaws or explain them honestly, or even explain what I was getting for my money and why the stones were different prices. He claimed the stones had only been heated and had no oth

-----

:appl: :lol: :lol:

The best excuse for a window!!!!!!! Fantastic!!!! A real expert!!!!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I got a kick out of that explanation too --
Marlow said:
especially the windowed one because the light coming through the back makes it sparkle
That wins the prize for most inventive piece of s**t I ever heard! :lol:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
BearFluff|1405849667|3716965 said:
The jeweler proceeded to tell me that these were excellent quality stones, especially the windowed one because the light coming through the back makes it sparkle. Erm, no it doesn't!

Jeez, just blatant lying. :lol:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry to read of your disappointing experience and am happy to also read that you are so knowledgeable as to recognize the fact that your jeweller is blowing smoke (or trying to) in your face. You have 2 options:
1. Find a new local jeweller - which will serve you best in the long run for future projects but will take time to find a new good bench.
2. Find your own stone and have an well recommended Etsy bench/outfit set it for you.

KatieS000

Rough_Rock
Hi, new here. :) What's a 'window' when you're referring to a sapphire? I just bought a sapphire ring so I'm extra curious. Thanks!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When the local jeweler who did my repairs for many years sold the business, I was lost. They sold only high end diamonds, 22K and jade but their prices were affordable and the service impeccable.

I have a new one now - his work is great and very affordable (for decades was a designer/maker at a large high end chain before going off on his own). Very honest but the problem is that his expertise is gold, diamonds, old classic stones. At one point I bought blindly from him and after a couple of mistakes, now I know that sometimes I have to question his expertise. On the other hand, I've gotten some great pieces from him at negotiated gem show and ebay prices.

Having a good local jeweler - one you trust, knows their stuff and does good work - can be hard to find but they are out there. And when you have one, its worth it.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like you need to find another jeweler! But excellent job sniffing this one out to be a bit of a hot mess!

....lol windows let the light come in from the bottom....lol.....

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
by ElvisPrasiolite » 26 Jul 2014 22:23
Another thing about Jewelers, is they've not learned to go to sources on the net for their colored stones, or at least the reasonable ones. Still sticking with the traveling middle man & his suitcase of gems from large wholesalers, whether buying, or memo from the large American wholesalers, or even checking online at these wholesalers. Whether the stones are aquarium gravel or top notch, these jewelers get them way over priced, as compared to the world of internet shopping for gemstones, but there are sites, very reputable ones, that sale for big bucks too. Pays to shop around.

------

Yes!! I agree 99 %!! 1% = that they don't use gem shows, local vendors ( some with a store ). If you visit them, try to offer gems of high quality they are not interested!

If I take my best vanadium chrysoberyl or my best mahenge they would kick me out - course some only know diamonds, ugly rubies, sapphire and emerald and garnet is still a dark brownish red gem. And high-end jewelers use companies in Idar-Oberstein.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results