• AVR w/1.7 Center

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Solitaire

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters

IslandJ

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

Hopefully this will be my last post with regards to picking out an ER. I was initially leaning towards an AVR diamond but after seeing some photos taken I'm a little concerned with the "J" color. It looks pretty white face up, but when viewed from the side you can definitely see the tint of yellow. I guess after it is set, you won't notice it as much? Attached are new photos received from GOG. I'm still debating between the 1.68 or 1.7 if I decide to go the three stone route.

Setting: http://www.tacori.com/engagement/2635rd65.html

Or

Diamond: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.65-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-249062
Setting: http://www.goodoldgold.com/images/classicjewelry/Mark%20Morrell/Torchiere/TM_Torch_Comp1b.jpg

Thoughts?

_20072.jpg

_20073.jpg

170jvs2.jpg

168jvs1.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK. My eyes popped out of my head at the price of that Tacori setting. WHOA that's expensive. You really want to spend that much on a setting?

Regarding stones... can you maybe go for one of the I center stones instead of the J's and spend a little less on the setting? I mean, that's a LOT of money for a setting. Like... a lot, a lot.

I really like both stone 2 and 3 in this pic:
_20073.jpg

And if you can swing it, I'd go for stone 2, the I color stone.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
I love the three stone AVR! Both 'line-ups' look amazing.

I am partial to the 1.68 J as I saw it in a video and just was as pretty and sparkly as could be. Such a lively, attractive, appealing diamond.

If you are worried about color, though, I think Gypsy's setting and the 1.61 I are a great way to go.

I swoon over the Vatche truffle setting you posted before, but I get people's concerns. I would still choose that for myself, despite the band concerns; I do think the setting Gypsy found is awesome.

I like Tacori and they have a great reputation, but I'd suggest making sure your gf does- they are a very distinctive look/brand.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I love the three stone idea, just don't love the tacori setting you chose. I would go with Whiteflashes butterflies setting. Something about the side view of the tacori just does not appeal to me and the price is crazy too.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
lknvrb4|1404987956|3710329 said:
I love the three stone idea, just don't love the tacori setting you chose. I would go with Whiteflashes butterflies setting. Something about the side view of the tacori just does not appeal to me and the price is crazy too.

Agreed - love the butterflies setting! So gorgeous. I would opt for a three stone over a solitaire and those AVRs are divine.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I don't care for the Tacori setting. I prefer a classic look & love the BGD Truth that Gypsy linked. It will stand the test of time and look as appropriate at any phase in life. You could also wear several different bands with it.

If you're concerned about color go with the I. I love the idea of an AVR stone :appl:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the three stone AVR choice. I would opt for the I color stone though if it were me. The Tacori ring is very pretty but very expensive. I love the WF Butterflies setting too but not sure about it set with AVRs. The Truth setting is a lovely, straightforward setting that probably would showcase those stones beautifully. Does GOG have any stock three stone mountings that you would consider? Would be convenient and much cheaper than the Tacori.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't so much like the Tacori setting, and the price is horribly crazy, to me. I wouldn't have even spent that on my Single Stone setting.

I like the three stone avr idea better than a solitaire. Kinda biased, I admit...

I like the BGD setting Gypsy posted and also the Butterflies the others mentioned.

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
Agree with all others on the Tacori setting. Based in the way you described your significant other, I think it would be way too much for her. Not on cost, but on the level of detail and because their settings are very high. Your girlfriend sounds classy casual and I see simple/straightforward being the best approach. AVR's don't show color the same way round brilliants do from the side angle based in the way they are cut. Plus they are so unique. I vote 3 stone.

IslandJ

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

Sorry, I think I accidentally deleted a line and forgot to add it back in when editing. I don't think I want to pay that much for that setting either :lol:. I liked the view from the top and the side profile from that style.

I love the settings you picked out Gypsy but I don't think she's a fan of that style (from side view). I remembered her saying she wasn't too fond of the way it arches up.
Also, from all of your suggestions in prior posts, I do plan on asking GOG for their recommendation as well. I really want to narrow it down first between the 3stone AVR or Solitaire though.

AVR Pros - Style/Uniqueness, Three stone, larger size
Cons - J Color, Culet size
1.68J - Large Culet
1.7J - Looks warmer and VS2 clarity

Solitaire Pros - Classic, G Color, No Culet,
Cons - Smaller size, not an AVR :D

Even though I personally love the look of the AVR. The photos of their current selections haven't really "wowed" me. This has me thinking that it might be a safer bet to go with the solitaire. Currently the solitaire choice seems to be in the lead as well :)

CanuckAB

Shiny_Rock
I voted for the 1.68J but don't like the setting you have posted. I'd choose one of the others posted.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you know what her preference for a ring is? Does she like the AVR or has she seen one?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think that the answer lies in what it is that your future wife wants....a solitaire or a 3 stone....they are very different looks. I really like the AVR "I" that you posted. Have you seen them in person? What is it that isn't wowing you (trying to understand so we can try to help find something that will wow you)?

Have you asked Jon if there are stones that aren't listed on the site that might fit your criteria?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think its hard to buy things long distance. Especially expensive purchases. I think there might be just a bit of analysis paralysis going on. I know the AVRs hit you hard in the beginning. I think you should trust that gut instinct.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd choose the one of the I color AVR's no matter how you decide to set it. I'd choose that 100 times over going with a regular round brilliant...I sold two of those (G color) to finally get to my dream stone...2.3 ct I color AVR!

Let me tell you that I sent for several AVR's before I finally settled on one. My personal limit is I color. I could see the tint difference in the J, so I went with I color and I am glad I did.

So my recommendation is to go with a 1.6 I color AVR solitaire, and there are millions of settings you can go with if the three stone doesn't work with the budget. I'll go back now and see what settings have been discussed. GOG carries a LOT of settings that would be good with an AVR!

(I couldn't vote in the poll because I didn't like those 3 options (with rb for the solitaire)! :lol: )

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Easy....put the 1.6 I color AVR in the Mark Morrell PETITE Torchiere, not the regular! That would be an outstanding engagement ring! :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you've described her style as classic, elegant, and somewhat minimalist, I voted for the solitaire. A solitaire is about as classic as it gets, and in a luscious Mark Morrell setting...? Perfection.

I have a couple of 3-stone rings that I wear as RHR's, including one with about 1.8 carats of beautiful OEC's. I love my 3-stones and love wearing them, but for a classic engagement ring look, give me a solitaire in simple but beautiful setting any day.

ETA - a three-stone ring can also be elegant and classic, and it is a bit different. But when I see you considering settings like the Tacori, with fancy shank cut-outs and engraving and the like, I want to reach through the screen and slap you around. Lightly, mind you, :wink2: and just a bit... but the urge is there nonetheless. Think of it this way: what would that ring look like if it were an article of clothing, and is that something that your GF would enjoy wearing? The Tacori ring looks to me like something lacy or frilly, which isn't at all what I picture your GF wearing based on what you've told us about her.

IslandJ

Rough_Rock
You're all right in that it should be about what she would want. Even though a 3 stone ER looks lovely, she has tiny hands and would most likely prefer one diamond to showcase. She really wants a nice wedding band as well (since that's what she's going to mostly be wearing) and I figured she can go match a lot more, without the worry of it sitting flush, with a solitaire than with a 3 stone.

I'd go for the "I" color if it wasn't for the inclusions. Currently I'm leaning towards the 1.7AVR because there are no inclusions that I can visually detect in the video. My main concern is that once it is set in the platinum setting, the setting will make the "J" color more noticeable. Am I worried over nothing?

VRBeauty - :hand: Please don't slap me. I bruise easily :D

Gypsy - The AVRs did hit me hard. I loved how it looked in some of the photos and videos that were posted. Maybe it's just me, but the facet patterns on the ones currently available doesn't seem as nice. Then I start thinking it might be better to go the safer route and just get a MRB.

Diamond Seeker - I think your AVR could have ruined it for me. I saw your facet patterns and the lovely pastel colors coming out of them in your photos. It made me wonder why I couldn't see any of that in the video and if it was because of the diamond itself.

To answer the other questions

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think an AVR instead of a MRB is risky, personally. There are some GORGEOUS solitaires out there, if you think your lady will prefer a solitaire, then get one!

I don't think platinum will make a J look bad in comparison. I've seen a LOT of lower colored stones in platinum. And I think it looks great. But if you are REALLY worried you can do an unplated white gold, which has a creamier, but still white look. That said, if you do that, it means her wedding band will have to be made to match that, and probably custom.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
this ring would be perfect. I love the Torchiere and of course love the AV line.. :)

diamondseeker2006|1405051189|3711136 said:
Easy....put the 1.6 I color AVR in the Mark Morrell PETITE Torchiere, not the regular! That would be an outstanding engagement ring! :love:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly I think an AVR is safe . Its a round . Rounds are safe.

IslandJ

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I think I've decided on the 1.7AVR but realized I can't have it set in the Petite Torchiere setting. It takes about 6 weeks to have the setting made which is out of my time frame :/ I've asked GOG to see what setting they would recommend so that the wedding band would sit flush next to the ERing.

Thanks again for all of your help and advice. I'm glad I decided to create an account as I was saved from making bad costly decisions. Plus It was fun being able to speak with all of you :)

IslandJ

Rough_Rock
Hi Gypsy,

Thanks another great recommendation. I'm not sure I'm in love with the prongs though.
I am also currently set on this right now too. The setting shouldn't have an issue with the band sitting flush next to it either.

What do you think of this setting with an AVR? I'm concerned that the diamonds in the setting might bring out more of the tint from the J colored center stone. Also, the one that's available is a 4 prong vs 6 (which doesn't really bother me visually)

_20420.jpg

_20421.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results