shape
carat
color
clarity

Will you UN-halo if it goes out of style?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't follow trends. I wear what looks best on me and what appeals to my aesthetics so no. If I owned a halo ring I wouldn't change it as long as I loved it.

hastyone

Rough_Rock
Prior to the current "trend", I halo'd an OEC 1.11 ct. round. I don't care about finger coverage (real-estate). I own two 1 carat diamonds (rounds) and the one 1 carat emerald cut diamond (and the 1.11 ct. OEC).

I halo'd one stone. I thought it looked more vintage which leads me to believe that people place their stones in halo's for different reasons.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have two halo e-rings that I love. I don't care if they're in style or not, but FWIW I think they are classic.

Kenny, I could have easily afforded to buy a bigger diamond, but chose not to. Not everyone wants to wear the cost of a car on their finger. :naughty:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LaraOnline|1393310178|3622526 said:
Halos (in and of themselves) will never go out of style, because they do so much for the diamond.

Not just diamonds. :naughty:
And this ring is 42 years old. It's a timeless and classic style imo.
Please excuse the chapped winter skin. Being in the health field is murder on one's hands with all that washing.

20140201_181409.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1393344697|3622656 said:
I have two halo e-rings that I love. I don't care if they're in style or not, but FWIW I think they are classic.

Kenny, I could have easily afforded to buy a bigger diamond, but chose not to. Not everyone wants to wear the cost of a car on their finger. :naughty:

No problem. ;-)
Exceptions to a generalization do not make a generalization not generally true.

Again, this thread is about halos possibly going out of style, and I think wanting more finger coverage for the budget is very common.
Halos achieve this so they'll never go out of style.
Since they are SOOO popular now, especially on PS, I can see a time where there is somewhat of a rubber band effect and the next thing cuts into halo sales somewhat.

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock
Actually halo's are a classic look and historical. There were halo rings in Victorian, Art Noveau, Edwardian, Art Deco era's. If you do a google search for vintage jewelry you will see. So as far as them going out of favor, everything old is new again! :)

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
I would so wear big shoulder pads the split second that they come back in. The '80s channeled the '40s, so I never considered shoulder pads an '80s thing. Asymmetrical fronts on jackets and tops, the tuxedo look, ruffles, yeah... but I digress. :lol: :mrgreen:

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1393349875|3622721 said:
Laila619|1393344697|3622656 said:

No problem. ;-)
Exceptions to a generalization do not make a generalization not generally true.

Again, this thread is about halos possibly going out of style, and I think wanting more finger coverage for the budget is very common.
Halos achieve this so they'll never go out of style.
Since they are SOOO popular now, especially on PS, I can see a time where there is somewhat of a rubber band effect and the next thing cuts into halo sales somewhat.

I think as more poor quality, mass produced, mall versions diminish the desirability of a popular style, in this case halos, you'll see new rings of other types. Upgrades will appear in the more favored style, and some may re-set. But I think enough jewelry enthusiasts get pleasure from re-sets and variety that it's inevitable some halos will go by the wayside. But I don't think it's a damning judgement of the style - just as everyone has said - fashion is cyclical.

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
Is this a halo or a cluster? Because if it is a halo, it is an antique halo....talk about cycles...
image_1299.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1393280846|3622183 said:
Looking like you have a larger diamond than you can afford can go out of style?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:

O.K that is funny, I Iove halos around coloured stones because I think white diamonds make a coloured centre pop more. I haloed a 2.38 carat diamond which by most standards is not small to see the contrast between the cuts (old chunky cuts) versus tiny perfectly cut melee and the result is very cool, it had little if anything with making the stone appear larger, because I already own a 5 + carat stone in a 8 prong setting. I am thinking about removing the 2.38 in the halo one day because the contrast in the colour of the centre stone and melee bugs me, but I still love the halo and I would keep it and put something else in there.

SB is another person that comes to mind, people do occasionally use halos because they just like halos not because they want their stone to look larger, having said that it is something that happens by default and it is done by some (but not everyone) to give finger coverage.

Given the fact that many Antique settings exist that were halos both around coloured stones and around diamonds I think that suggests they will never go out of style, they become more or less fashionable sure, but a halo done well can be timeless and elegant.

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
arkieb1|1393391242|3623219 said:

O.K that is funny, I Iove halos around coloured stones because I think white diamonds make a coloured centre pop more. I haloed a 2.38 carat diamond which by most standards is not small to see the contrast between the cuts (old chunky cuts) versus tiny perfectly cut melee and the result is very cool, it had little if anything with making the stone appear larger, because I already own a 5 + carat stone in a 8 prong setting. I am thinking about removing the 2.38 in the halo one day because the contrast in the colour of the centre stone and melee bugs me, but I still love the halo and I would keep it and put something else in there.

SB is another person that comes to mind, people do occasionally use halos because they just like halos not because they want their stone to look larger, having said that it is something that happens by default and it is done by some (but not everyone) to give finger coverage.

Given the fact that many Antique settings exist that were halos both around coloured stones and around diamonds I think that suggests they will never go out of style, they become more or less fashionable sure, but a halo done well can be timeless and elegant.

OK...we need more details if you are planning to do this! Your new VC halo?

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
arkieb1|1393391242|3623219 said:

Arkie, this is exactly one of the reasons I'm struggling to figure out what to do w/ my original e-ring center stone (I wanted to do a pendant w/ halo but don't want too much of a contrast...anywhoooo).

The thing that confuses me about halos (and I love them, so don't shoot me) is that there are so many posts and threads out there that say over and over again how much larger your center stone can look if you add a halo to it. I mean, there are even threads dedicated to "before" and "after", and we all know it's an optical illusion, but I'll be darned if it isn't true in some cases (which I think is great). So while obviously I think it's wonderful to have a setting that displays a diamond at (what the owner considers to be) its best (doesn't everyone want that), I think it's also okay to admit that part of the allure of the halo is that the center stone looks larger (because it usually does, right?).

I don't think large diamonds will ever go out of style, so why would the halos?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes overall a halo gives more finger coverage, a lot of halos make the centre stone look bigger, I have also seen some pretty shocking looking ones that if anything make the centre stone look smaller so lets just bust that myth right now. Like big badly cut diamonds around a small diamond for example - yes it can actually make the centre stone look smaller.

Sure a LOT of people halo diamonds to get more finger coverage and possibly to make their diamonds look bigger, I didn't do it for that reason and I am not convinced everyone does. I would halo a huge coloured stone for example if I thought it brought it to life and make the colour pop more on the hand it would have zip, zilch zero to do with the size of it.

It's not a secret that the 2.38 I have which is a high coloured J versus the F/G melee bugs the !@#$ out of me. So one day I might remove it and use the halo for a coloured gemstone or a higher coloured diamond. jbeg_tranny_9.jpg

No, I didn't halo this to make it look bigger or for extra finger coverage, I already owned the setting preloved and just put it into there on the off chance that it might fit. The contrast of the big bold flashes versus the sparkle of the melee is really very cool, I have people that walk across a room to look at this ring and people that come up and grab my hand and go wow that is amazing, so I don't think it is going to go out of style any time soon, if I decide to rip it out of there it won't be because of it not being fashionable.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock

Hm, not the case with me, I have a 4.00 carat cushion (10 X 10mm) and in an antique halo with a ring size of 3.75-- I did it because I like the aesthetics of a halo, the intricate details. Even for my previous 3.48 carat cushion (9.21 X 8.88) I had it in a halo too.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Resonance.Of.Life|1393394903|3623238 said:

Hm, not the case with me, I have a 4.00 carat cushion (10 X 10mm) and in an antique halo with a ring size of 3.75-- I did it because I like the aesthetics of a halo, the intricate details. Even for my previous 3.48 carat cushion (9.21 X 8.88) I had it in a halo too.

I was thinking about you when I was reading through this thread ROL! While many add halos to add finger coverage or change up the look of their current set- I do think many are just drawn to the aesthetics of a halo! To me they are such classic pieces. I don't think it has much to do at all with what ppl can and can't afford.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
If I had a halo, I would not un-halo if it was not popular. I choose my jewelry based off of my taste, not what is popular. So I would only change my settings if my taste changed.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't follow trends either, I buy/wear what I like and suit me personally.

DK :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love halos for coloured stones because it adds a lot of contrast which helps the centre stone pop, so for me, it isn't about the increase in finger coverage but the look. If anything, I would love it if the media deems it out of style and pricing for halo settings drops so that I can buy more halo settings. :naughty:

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
missy|1393345289|3622665 said:
LaraOnline|1393310178|3622526 said:
Halos (in and of themselves) will never go out of style, because they do so much for the diamond.

Not just diamonds. :naughty:
And this ring is 42 years old. It's a timeless and classic style imo.
Please excuse the chapped winter skin. Being in the health field is murder on one's hands with all that washing.
Oh beautiful ring missy!
I absolutely love sols but there is no disputing the style and interest which comes from a halo.
If anything, I think it will be other elements of design - the metal colour of course, but other things too such as centre stone shape, resurgence of coloured stones, and details such as airlines and split shanks which will change up.
Halos will always be with us. They are a classic just as much as the solitaire.

DSilverberg

Rough_Rock
Trade
While the micro-pave set halo is certainly a recent trend, halos in general have been around for a long time. The oldest I could find online are Edwardian rings with beautiful halos but now I'm curious to know if the style goes even further back. As a matter of fact, I believe the solitaire set diamond is a more modern invention!
When I got engaged in 2010 I opted for a solitaire set asscher with side stones, but I wanted to add my two cents anyway! :)

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1393294078|3622369 said:
kenny|1393292605|3622351 said:
Asscherhalo_lover|1393286243|3622276 said:

Not very nice Kenny

Huh?
Halos have been suggested in countless threads where the OP laments the diamond they can afford is not large enough, yet pointing this out is somehow 'not nice'.
Huh?

Halos make a diamond look bigger, at least till you get a closer look.
Just the facts, ma'am.

They are recommended to take up finger real estate, not to make the diamond look bigger. Three stone rings are used to do the same think, give you more "look" for your money. I dont believe they are intended to trick the eye, unlike say a cluster ring.

I agree, Niel and kenny, I think that your comment was slightly offensive. I didn't get a halo because I wanted my ring to look like it was bigger than I can afford. In fact, when I first thought about re-setting into a halo, it had nothing at all to do with making my diamond look bigger. Anyone who looks at a halo ring can clearly see that there is a center diamond surrounded by a ring of diamonds. The styles is not meant to mimic one, large diamond solitaire. What I wanted was a change - I wanted something more modern. I have tiny fingers to begin (ring size 3.25), so any ring is going to look big on me. Do some women get halos to make their rings appear bigger? Sure, but I don't think that it's fair to say that most halo owners are secretly trying to trick people into thinking they have bigger rock. It's not like halos are diamond cluster rings (not that there's anything worn with diamond cluster jewelry) that are meant to give the appearance of one stone (as opposed to many small ones):

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
arkieb1|1393394144|3623234 said:
Yes overall a halo gives more finger coverage, a lot of halos make the centre stone look bigger, I have also seen some pretty shocking looking ones that if anything make the centre stone look smaller so lets just bust that myth right now. Like big badly cut diamonds around a small diamond for example - yes it can actually make the centre stone look smaller.

Sure a LOT of people halo diamonds to get more finger coverage and possibly to make their diamonds look bigger, I didn't do it for that reason and I am not convinced everyone does. I would halo a huge coloured stone for example if I thought it brought it to life and make the colour pop more on the hand it would have zip, zilch zero to do with the size of it.

It's not a secret that the 2.38 I have which is a high coloured J versus the F/G melee bugs the !@#$ out of me. So one day I might remove it and use the halo for a coloured gemstone or a higher coloured diamond. jbeg_tranny_9.jpg

No, I didn't halo this to make it look bigger or for extra finger coverage, I already owned the setting preloved and just put it into there on the off chance that it might fit. The contrast of the big bold flashes versus the sparkle of the melee is really very cool, I have people that walk across a room to look at this ring and people that come up and grab my hand and go wow that is amazing, so I don't think it is going to go out of style any time soon, if I decide to rip it out of there it won't be because of it not being fashionable.

I just love looking at your ring, I think it's gorgeous Arkie (halo'd or not :D)!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Roxy. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results